Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

In 2013 I was running OpenELEC and my Xbox DVD remote and dongle worked in Kodi plug and play.

Now I'm trying to run Kodi in Raspbian instead of using OpenELEC, but the Xbox remote is not supported by default. I can't figure out how to add support because all of the articles I can find are outdated and no longer work with current distributions.

Is there some setup I could copy from an OpenELEC install into Raspbian?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mantle posted:

In 2013 I was running OpenELEC and my Xbox DVD remote and dongle worked in Kodi plug and play.

Now I'm trying to run Kodi in Raspbian instead of using OpenELEC, but the Xbox remote is not supported by default. I can't figure out how to add support because all of the articles I can find are outdated and no longer work with current distributions.

Is there some setup I could copy from an OpenELEC install into Raspbian?

I can't remember exactly where (maybe /etc/default/kodi) but you need to set it to run as the "pi" user. then the remote will work again.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

GutBomb posted:

I can't remember exactly where (maybe /etc/default/kodi) but you need to set it to run as the "pi" user. then the remote will work again.

I'll try this when I get home. Is this behavior documented anywhere? It's not intuitive to me that the user would make a difference.

Mantle fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Jan 28, 2017

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
I want to use a pi 3 as an OpenELEC/Kodi box to attach to my desktop monitor's HDMI port. I'm looking for two things:
A VESA case mount (100mmx100mm I assume, my tape measurer showed slightly under 4in for horizontal/vertial)
A remote that can connect to the pi's bluetooth, I'd like to avoid using any of the USB ports if possible.
Any recommendations?

Mantle
May 15, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

I want to use a pi 3 as an OpenELEC/Kodi box to attach to my desktop monitor's HDMI port. I'm looking for two things:
A VESA case mount (100mmx100mm I assume, my tape measurer showed slightly under 4in for horizontal/vertial)
A remote that can connect to the pi's bluetooth, I'd like to avoid using any of the USB ports if possible.
Any recommendations?

You should see if your TV supports HDMI CEC. You may be able to use your TV remote to control the pi over HDMI.

E: Oh sorry didn't see you are using a monitor.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mantle posted:

I'll try this when I get home. Is this behavior documented anywhere? It's not intuitive to me that the user would make a difference.

The kodi user it creates and runs as doesn't have keyboard access and all the ir thing does is send keyboard commands.

apropos man
Sep 5, 2016

You get a hundred and forty one thousand years and you're out in eight!

Subjunctive posted:

What's a semi-short? I'm new to this stuff.

Hah! What I meant by inventing a new type of electrical fault was that due to the poor quality of the cable and/or the TV, then the sparking wasn't present every time, just sometimes.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

apropos man posted:

Hah! What I meant by inventing a new type of electrical fault was that due to the poor quality of the cable and/or the TV, then the sparking wasn't present every time, just sometimes.

Intermittent short.

Mantle
May 15, 2004

GutBomb posted:

The kodi user it creates and runs as doesn't have keyboard access and all the ir thing does is send keyboard commands.

I changed the user to pi and there is still no response. The xpad driver is loaded for the dongle and I've checked the batteries in the remote. Any other ideas to troubleshoot? Just to confirm its the original Xbox DVD remote, not the Xbox 360 remote.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

General_Failure posted:

Funny the HDMI sparking was brought up. That can be an appliance killer. Or at best a cable killer. The TV did that with the Xbox 360. Something hosed with ground potential.

That has killed two HDMI ports on my TV. A coworker suspected the reason was that my TV was connected to the apartment building antenna network without galvanic isolator.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

Saukkis posted:

That has killed two HDMI ports on my TV. A coworker suspected the reason was that my TV was connected to the apartment building antenna network without galvanic isolator.

Someone hosed up grounding somewhere. You should get your wiring checked because a ground fault could kill you.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

apropos man posted:

Ah, that makes sense. Thanks!

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Mantle posted:

I changed the user to pi and there is still no response. The xpad driver is loaded for the dongle and I've checked the batteries in the remote. Any other ideas to troubleshoot? Just to confirm its the original Xbox DVD remote, not the Xbox 360 remote.

Ah I see. I have no idea then. I've never used that particular dongle. I used a flirc dongle with a Logitech harmony remote and that worked great. Now I'm just using a Wii U pro controller via Bluetooth because my baby got ahold of the remote and broke it

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

Malcolm XML posted:

Someone hosed up grounding somewhere. You should get your wiring checked because a ground fault could kill you.

Completely ungrounded plugs in my living room, 1960s finnish building code. I don't think even the neutral is connected to ground, that's something that was used later, I believe.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Saukkis posted:

Completely ungrounded plugs in my living room, 1960s finnish building code. I don't think even the neutral is connected to ground, that's something that was used later, I believe.

Neutral may not be bonded to ground where it’s supposed to be (at your service panel), and you may have non‐polarised or reverse‐polarised sockets, but I guarantee that neutral is connected to ground somewhere.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

Saukkis posted:

Do you own or rent but either way get an electrician to verify you won't kill yourself with some bootleg ground poo poo

Also you do have RCDs or gfcis on all outlets right

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Saukkis posted:

Hmm. I wonder. I can't even grasp how the power supply for the booster works for my aerial. Everything is on the "To antenna" part of the booster supply. I don't know what I need, but "galvanic isolator" has the right words in it. Are they known by any other names? I'll have to search for one... or two.

Malcolm XML posted:

Also you do have RCDs or gfcis on all outlets right

What are these?

I just tried the Pi 3 with a normal USB supply. Still getting undervolt under load. I'll have to dig out some more higher current supplies and test. I swear the drat thing hates me.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

General_Failure posted:

What are these?

Residual current devices or ground fault circuit interrupters. They’re the same thing.

Measure the current going through the hot line. Measure the current going through the neutral line.

If there is a non‐neglible mismatch, break the circuit.

They’re basic safety devices. They don’t make bad electricals safe, but they’re sure nice to have.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Platystemon posted:

Residual current devices or ground fault circuit interrupters. They’re the same thing.

Measure the current going through the hot line. Measure the current going through the neutral line.

If there is a non‐neglible mismatch, break the circuit.

They’re basic safety devices. They don’t make bad electricals safe, but they’re sure nice to have.

Gotcha. I think we have something like that in the meter / fusebox. It was installed when the power company updated the meters.

afterthought edit: Odd thing is I thought that things that use induction like my welder tripped them easily.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005
Small update. I grabbed an admittedly overpriced 2.4A USB supply yesterday. loving lightning bolt is there even with a few % CPU load. gently caress the designers for specifying MicroUSB as the standard for the power jack. Seriously. Everything has to be completely out of spec to power the drat thing. The Orange Pi and probably quite a few others had the right idea with a barrel connector. I like the Pi 3. Really I do. But this poo poo!
haha holy poo poo I'm typing this post on it. 6% load. Lightning bolt and I just saw a corrupted scanline. When I finish it's being shut down again.

Gozinbulx
Feb 19, 2004
Any idea why I can't SSH into my pi thats on Wifi instead of eth0? Reading about it says it might be some kind of keep-alive type of problem with the wifi. Anyone have some experience with this?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

General_Failure posted:

Small update. I grabbed an admittedly overpriced 2.4A USB supply yesterday. loving lightning bolt is there even with a few % CPU load. gently caress the designers for specifying MicroUSB as the standard for the power jack. Seriously. Everything has to be completely out of spec to power the drat thing. The Orange Pi and probably quite a few others had the right idea with a barrel connector. I like the Pi 3. Really I do. But this poo poo!
haha holy poo poo I'm typing this post on it. 6% load. Lightning bolt and I just saw a corrupted scanline. When I finish it's being shut down again.

You tried a different cable?

If not sounds like you might just have a dud. I'm running my pi3 and an official touch screen off one charger with no under power issues with 2.4A charger

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

General_Failure posted:

Something is really weird with your Pi. I have three of 'em running off three different generic power supplies and I've never seen the low power indication. I've seen the overheat indication plenty (until I put heatsinks on them all) but never any power problems.

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

2.4a is within spec for USB BC 1.2 USA a decent charger.

John Capslocke
Jun 5, 2007

General_Failure posted:

Your Pi is either a lemon, or you're simply just running way too much off the USB bus without a powered hub.

I have a Pi2 with a USB powered drive, and wifi dongle running fine on a Canakit 2.5A power supply, never seen power warnings in the 2.5 years its been running OpenELEC/LibreELEC.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
It could simply be that the Pi's MicroUSB input is messed up, and it can't properly request enough power from the adapter. In-spec adapters and other power sources should only provide their full power if your connected device negotiates for it, otherwise the port is supposed to only provide 100 milliamp and in practice will only provide up to 500 milliamp if there aren't additional things done. The reason the battery pack might have worked is that the manufacturer might have skimped and simply provided the full power output and expected the device to regulate itself.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Amazon sells Anker and various brand 4-8amp USB 4-8 port chargers for $10-20, I bought one initially to charge my bicycle lights, but now I have a dedicated one for tinker projects, it's great and will happily do 2A per channel.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

Skarsnik posted:

You tried a different cable?

If not sounds like you might just have a dud. I'm running my pi3 and an official touch screen off one charger with no under power issues with 2.4A charger

I'm wondering if it is a bit sickly somehow.

John Capslocke posted:

Your Pi is either a lemon, or you're simply just running way too much off the USB bus without a powered hub.

I have a Pi2 with a USB powered drive, and wifi dongle running fine on a Canakit 2.5A power supply, never seen power warnings in the 2.5 years its been running OpenELEC/LibreELEC.

An 82(?) key keyboard and a generic optical USB mouse. It has a DAC board on it too now, but the problem is no different from before I added it. Maybe a little better because of the capacitor on the DAC.

I have a heap of different cables and power supplies. A large portion of which I've purchased in attempts to stop the Pi 3 making GBS threads itself sadly enough.

fishmech: I think you are giving most USB supplies too much credit. Most conform to the "Go hard or go home" philosophy. The only ones I've encountered that seem to have any "brains" are some Huawei USB chargers I have that will only charge certain things properly.

Can't spend on unnecessary things right now, but I'll look around for versions of the suggested supplies. Amazon probably isn't a great source though because I'm in Australia.

While I'm here, is there a such thing as a smart HDMI switch that remembers the EDID(?) information of a monitor? I'd like to share the 1080p monitor between the PC and Pis but because it only has one DVI input it's kind of difficult. The HDMI switches I have essentially report that they aren't connected to the device unless it happens to be the one set to be active. I don't mind the PC's second monitor / Pi monitor, but being UXGA the Orange Pi PC doesn't support it and I don't have the time / motivation to work out all the settings, edit the kernel source, recompile etc.

I mentioned it in the Rust programming language thread, but I'll mention it here too. I got Visual Studio Code to compile and run on the RPi 3 last night. Definitely not groundbreaking stuff because I followed some tutorials, but for all it's overblown ridiculousness it seems to run pretty well and looks nice on the Pi.

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
I've got two unrelated questions. First, is it possible to set up SElinux in Raspbian on a Pi3? I did a little Googling and I didn't find anything conclusive. Of it is possible, how can I do that?

Second, I got the thing to set up as a Pi-hole. It's working well for the computers on my network, but I still frequently see ads on my Pixel. I've cleared the cache for the apps that I notice them in, but it doesn't seem to help for long. Am I missing something?

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

They might just not be listed in any of the lists. Open up the web console activity log and then see if anything looks obvious when you run the app, then blacklist it

Also double check your phone is actually using the pihole for dns

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Nothing shows up when the ads appear. Should I point my phone's DNS at the router (which is set to use the pihole for DNS) or directly at the pihole?

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

hooah posted:

Nothing shows up when the ads appear. Should I point my phone's DNS at the router (which is set to use the pihole for DNS) or directly at the pihole?

If the router is using the pihole as its DNS then point it at that. Wouldn't hurt to try both methods, though, just to see which works more effectively.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Screw it, reformatting and trying again.

huhu fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Feb 4, 2017

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

Dead Goon posted:

If the router is using the pihole as its DNS then point it at that. Wouldn't hurt to try both methods, though, just to see which works more effectively.

I don't see any difference between the two settings.

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

hooah posted:

I don't see any difference between the two settings.

Maybe try

https://www.reddit.com/r/pihole/

then, the Devs are very active in the subreddit and quick to try and resolve any problems

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Hmm. I did bring this up on their forums and the response (don't recall if it was a dev or a regular user) was "some apps have ads bundled in the apk. We can't do anything about those". But these are definitely Google ads. I thought maybe a different perspective would be helpful. I'll try reddit, I suppose.

Any thoughts on my other question, regarding SELinux on raspbian?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
What am I missing here? I've got Debian 8.0, and I'm trying to install stuff with .deb, thus far it's Mega and Dropbox. I keep getting "package architecture (i386) does not match system (armhf)". Google isn't really helping. I'm running:
code:
sudo dpkg -i filename.deb"

Ellie Crabcakes
Feb 1, 2008

Stop emailing my boyfriend Gay Crungus

huhu posted:

What am I missing here? I've got Debian 8.0, and I'm trying to install stuff with .deb, thus far it's Mega and Dropbox. I keep getting "package architecture (i386) does not match system (armhf)". Google isn't really helping. I'm running:
code:
The package is compiled for a different processor than the one on the Pi. DropBox didn't even bother with an x86_64 package until recently.

You may give this a go.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

huhu posted:

code:

Even though you can run Debian on the Pi, it doesn't mean all Debian-compatible software will run on it.

i386 means the .deb file you have is for Intel (and compatible) processors, whereas the Pi is Arm based ("armhf"). You need alternate packages which have been built for Arm architectures, and unfortunately (as far as I know) there's no such distribution available for Dropbox.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE
Seafile is better anyway for the most part. It's dropbox, but pushed via a private torrent from any machines you put in the group. You do need a server running MySQL or maybe Postgres though (although it's designed for MySQL).

Note that MariaDB is now the open-source fork of MySQL, so that's what you should install, assuming there's an armhf fork. Unfortunately this install isn't trivial last time I did it.

Note that this may have significantly poorer performance than Dropbox since you don't have a big CDN that can access all your files, cache them, and push them out. But it's the next best Dropbox alternative and tbh if you can follow a couple pages of install instructions, it's better for privacy.