Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

someone explain to me how solving the profit=theft aspect of capitalism solves alienation from labor once the pandoras box of industrialization is already opened. i havent read marx in over a decade so im sure im missing something obvious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

Friendly Humour posted:

Nigga pls, marginalism is so idiotic I don't even know where to begin with. It treats people as logical computers and it's really really stupid and its application by neoliberal asswipes has never ever had anything but utterly destructive results. My only point about evaluation being inseparable from human perception is that nothing trumps it. An object can definately be extremely costly to produce in terms of labour time and investments and large amount of exploitation, but if nobody wants to buy at the price asked, that value is completely meaningless. I'm just saying that the price of an object and profitability seems completely disconnected from its labour value. I'm saying that objects aren't valuable as themselves, only as objects of desire.

I don't think any of this actually contradicts LTV though, because yes anyone can value anything how they like but a society doesn't function according to each of their subjective valuations. You're right that just working on something doesn't necessarily add value to it: society judges the product based on actual demand and that judgement values it, I think either Das Capital or Harveys reader on it explains that versions of the LTV had always said raw labour = value and so had never really worked properly and it was Marx who said that for work to produce value it has to be work which produces a need for society (hence the term socially necessary labour time to produce something being what adds value).

Also I'm honoured that mine was the response that you picked :)

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

namesake posted:

^^Think you might need some anime for a post like that, Peel.

i fear no sewerman

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

i like to think that the niggagate played a part in that

whats that

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

jarofpiss posted:

someone explain to me how solving the profit=theft aspect of capitalism solves alienation from labor once the pandoras box of industrialization is already opened. i havent read marx in over a decade so im sure im missing something obvious.

My view of "alienation" is that it has more to do with whether or not you have the ability to determine the course of your work. Alienation in capitalism is a result of not feeling as though you have any real control over the conditions or methods of your workplace (because of the strict, autocratic hierarchy of the boss owning the assets and you merely assenting to work under the conditions they specify). I don't think the alienation caused by automation can ever be solved, but I don't believe it has as significant of an impact compared to the alienation of ownership of the workplace (which can be solved).

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.

Weeping Wound posted:

EDIT: wait a second, Baloogan isn't in charge anymore! :unsmigghh:

Good good, let the Prolix flow through you!

Metal Pink Babble
Mar 31, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vermain posted:

My view of "alienation" is that it has more to do with whether or not you have the ability to determine the course of your work. Alienation in capitalism is a result of not feeling as though you have any real control over the conditions or methods of your workplace (because of the strict, autocratic hierarchy of the boss owning the assets and you merely assenting to work under the conditions they specify). I don't think the alienation caused by automation can ever be solved, but I don't believe it has as significant of an impact compared to the alienation of ownership of the workplace (which can be solved).

Things pertaining to every minute aspect of procurement, production, refinement, and distribution are becoming increasingly hard-coded into mandatory protocol for every facet of advanced planned economies.

Innovation to fill a niche is being rooted out in this model, ultimately leading to full-automation. Hence, a backlash. Trains never always run on time, like stock investment advice sometimes fails, even for the most accomplished of inside traders. The gray and black markets exist to check and balance dehumanizing structures and regulations, lest humanity becomes extinct from sheer boredom.

Laissez-faire capitalism, john galt libertarianism, and martian marxism are extremes which can never be fully realized. In practical and sustainable function they are unicorns and cannot exist. Man is a beast who craves structure, but lives in a state of turgid anarchy. T'is the nature of the beast.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

mods please rename me ♂martian marxist♂

Metal Pink Babble posted:

a beast who craves structure

in a state of turgid anarchy

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Things pertaining to every minute aspect of procurement, production, refinement, and distribution are becoming increasingly hard-coded into mandatory protocol for every facet of advanced planned economies.

Innovation to fill a niche is being rooted out in this model, ultimately leading to full-automation. Hence, a backlash. Trains never always run on time, like stock investment advice sometimes fails, even for the most accomplished of inside traders. The gray and black markets exist to check and balance dehumanizing structures and regulations, lest humanity becomes extinct from sheer boredom.

Laissez-faire capitalism, john galt libertarianism, and martian marxism are extremes which can never be fully realized. In practical and sustainable function they are unicorns and cannot exist. Man is a beast who craves structure, but lives in a state of turgid anarchy. T'is the nature of the beast.

Are you a loving anime bad guy or what's the deal here?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

(and can't post for 17 days!)

Vermain posted:

Are you a loving anime bad guy or what's the deal here?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

What is a Man? A MISERABLE LITTLE CRAVER OF STABILITY!!!

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

Marxism Thread: Are you a loving anime bad guy or what's the deal here?

ThaumPenguin
Oct 9, 2013

Martian Marxism?

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015
It's the red planet for a reason

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

ThaumPenguin posted:

Martian Marxism?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Sq1Nr58hM

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

wow im for real drunk ama

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

jarofpiss posted:

How do we get to Mars, comrade jarofpiss?

The_Politics_Man
Aug 25, 2015

jarofpiss posted:

was 9/11 holograms or was it a collective hallucination?

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

resar posted:

was 9/11 holograms or was it a collective hallucination?

we levitated the pentagon

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
A world without some level of alienation would be a catastrophe, no one has the time or energy to be involved in the results of even their own labor, that full dealienation would require.

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Friendly Humour posted:

My only point about evaluation being inseparable from human perception is that nothing trumps it. An object can definately be extremely costly to produce in terms of labour time and investments and large amount of exploitation, but if nobody wants to buy at the price asked, that value is completely meaningless. I'm just saying that the price of an object and profitability seems completely disconnected from its labour value.
The demand for a commodity depends on its ability to satisfy a use-value (or utility), which is not the same thing as value. Use-values are so myriad, and so dependent on the state of the consumer, that's it not actually possible to catalogue them. But for Marx's purposes, it's not necessary.

It's also worth noting that 'perception' as the root of value, in the sense you ask, is a circular definition. Why does something have value? Because it's seem as valuable! Why is something seen as valuable? Because it has value! It no more solves your value problem than does the LTV, but only the LTV ever gets criticized for it (mud-pie arguments).

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

rudatron posted:

A world without some level of alienation would be a catastrophe, no one has the time or energy to be involved in the results of even their own labor, that full dealienation would require.

Nobody wants to have to make every single component in their PS4 or whatever, but the problem we actually care about is that capitalism creates conditions that alienate people from society itself in addition to labor.

Enjoy
Apr 18, 2009

Friendly Humour posted:

I'm just saying that the price of an object and profitability seems completely disconnected from its labour value.

Enjoy posted:

the price of a commodity is limited by the price of labour.

if company a uses inefficient methods and spends twice as much on labour costs per commodity as company b, they will eventually go bankrupt because their prices will be too high and company b will dominate the market.

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

jarofpiss trolled me irl by making fun of democratic centralism so he's a wrecker now and i always hated his posts

Prav
Oct 29, 2011

if only he could have supported the party line

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

also dave weigel is doing a story on the dsa and seems like an all right guy. i shudder to think what his bosses will do to it in editing

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

Dreddout posted:

How do we get to Mars, comrade jarofpiss?

still drunk ama. also finally a question about the real red planet

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

My gut tells me to never trust somebody who used to be an editor for Reason, but Weigel is at least, not an idiot.

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

R. Guyovich posted:

jarofpiss trolled me irl by making fun of democratic centralism so he's a wrecker now and i always hated his posts

my most badass discourse comes out about 8 whiskeys deep

jarofpiss
May 16, 2009

i had a lot to say to that dave weigel guy but i forgot to corner him so he lucked out this time

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

how is this real

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

Vox magazine posted:

We tend to think of rising income inequality as a 21st-century problem. A more equal distribution of wealth is normal, and the growing clout of the 1 percent is an anomaly.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

"When I was a girl, around 12 or 13, I had a fantasy that I'd grow up to marry Captain Scarlet, but he'd be busy fighting the Mysterons so I'd cuckold him with the sexiest people I could think of - Nigel Mansell, Pat Sharp and Mr. Blobby."

You can't just quote that and not link it as well.

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

namesake posted:

You can't just quote that and not link it as well.

yeah, this

that has to be one hell of an article

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

It's indicative of just how little people actually understand about capitalism in general.

The Kingfish
Oct 21, 2015

http://www.vox.com/world/2017/1/23/14323760/inequality-europe-chart

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

quote:

Now, our current political turmoil — the rise of Donald Trump and the European far right — doesn’t really fit that pattern. Data suggests that supporters of these factions are more motivated by concerns over immigration and cultural change than inequality per se.

Europeans growing more paranoid about foreign elements and clashes of civilizations during times of gross inequality doesn't fit into the pattern at all. When was the last time that happened?

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Sometimes I think people will figure out what's going on and then I read an article like that and I realize we are well and truly doomed.

namesake
Jun 19, 2006

I wonder what was causing the increase in inequality from 1300 until the black death, was there a general movement towards centralising authority under the monarchs at the time, rather than strong aristocrats?

Edit: That was the Little Ice Age, so population was static or falling mostly, maybe it really was just consolidation due to untimely deaths?

namesake fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

namesake posted:

I wonder what was causing the increase in inequality from 1300 until the black death, was there a general movement towards centralising authority under the monarchs at the time, rather than strong aristocrats?

The latest research in medieval studies indicates that there was considerable growth among the nobility, clergy, and merchant classes, because serfs got bupkis. In a system where everyone is obligated pay dues to their lord, or tithes to the church, then it's easy to accumulate wealth even in primitive conditions of production.