Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

Cool Buff Man posted:

That dang spot was Isaiah's. Consarn it

Isaiah and Embiid were both robbed. The small guy and the tall guy could probably pick up three more guys with hard to spell names and beat the real east team

Edit: oh wait lil' man made it. Sorry folks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Waiting for the mourning view apology on Embiid

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Whoa IT didn't make the asg??

Edit

No he did

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Apparently Stephen A Smith got pissed off that the Cavs said no to the Melo/Love trade?

What? Is he even a real human being anymore?

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

euphronius posted:

Whoa IT didn't make the asg??

Edit

No he did

Yeah I just meant for the starting spot. Embiid was the one who got really robbed, I was being dramatic

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They should expand rosters to 18 or 20 and force them to pick Cs

I think they will force Cs definitely next year at least.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

There should be hard roster limits or no roster limits at all, imo. The idea that Harden/Curry/Westbrook are not all starting is ridiculous.

Lockback posted:

Don't force Centers, many teams don't even use a traditional center at all. The East only has 1 SG, if you're going to enforce something split up PGs and wings.

I like the idea of 2 frontcourt, 2 backcourt, and a wildcard for the Starters and then no limit on the Bench.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 27, 2017

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

euphronius posted:

Don't force Centers, many teams don't even use a traditional center at all. The East only has 1 SG, if you're going to enforce something split up PGs and wings.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Forcing C's was the worst thing, you get Chris Kaman all-star and Troy Murphy over elite forwards in the past.

What they should really do is eliminate conference separation and have a draft by the 2 coaches. Solves at least the stupid thing of Memphis still being considered in the West.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

What teams don't use a traditional center at all.
Cleveland ? Frye is a center

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

They force centers for the more important all NBA teams .

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

No limit to the bench makes forcing a center moot .

That works for me

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Tristan Thompson has a wingspan of 7'1.5" and almost takes no shots outside of 10 feet.

If that is not a "traditional center" than what the hell is.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Yeah tt but he's played like 75% of career at pf

Def a c this year tho .

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

euphronius posted:

What teams don't use a traditional center at all.
Cleveland ? Frye is a center

Pelicans and Boston (is Olynyk a real center?) are arguable. Davis and Horford man the center position a ton on those teams out of necessity.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

Cool Buff Man posted:

Yeah I just meant for the starting spot. Embiid was the one who got really robbed, I was being dramatic

It's not so much that Embiid got robbed. I understand the logic on not including him, and it's not a surprise at all that the coaches' voting penalized a guy who hasn't played full minutes on a team that is still at the bottom of the standings. If Embiid stays healthy, he will have plenty of All-Star games and other accolades in his future.

The part that annoys me is that having him in the game would be fun. It would make the game better. Give the people what they want.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Kibner posted:

Pelicans and Boston (is Olynyk a real center?) are arguable. Davis and Horford man the center position a ton on those teams out of necessity.

Horford's been a center for basically 10 years. At some point, he's just a center that's 6'10.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Tae posted:

Horford's been a center for basically 10 years. At some point, he's just a center that's 6'10.

Hence arguable and not unassailable.

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

euphronius posted:

Yeah tt but he's played like 75% of career at pf

Def a c this year tho .

And last year, and the year before that.

Here is a list of all teams that use a Center in their lineups:

76ers
Brooklyn
Lakers
Kings
Suns
Magic
New Orleans
Denver
Heat
Pacers
Thunder
Wizards
Bulls
Knicks
Dallas
Timberwolves
Hawks
Pistons
Grizzlies
Celtics
Toronto
Jazz
Spurs
Clippers
Cleveland
Warriors

Turns out that the only teams that don't are Charlotte and Milwaukee!

Seriously, a 6'10" dude with long arms is still a center, even if he can shoot from outside.

Paul Zuvella fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Jan 27, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

I feel like John Henson and Greg Monroe are centers

Doltos
Dec 28, 2005

🤌🤌🤌
I'd say Hibbert is a center and he's still getting meaningful minutes over Kaminsky and Zeller at times.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

https://twitter.com/NickFriedell/status/825020243936321539

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 2000
Just get rid of positions and take the best players; if your all star roster is all guards, then so be it.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004

Athanatos posted:

Just get rid of positions and take the best players; if your all star roster is all guards, then so be it.

Apart from the 8 team 3x3 tournament (the best All Star Idea), guards vs frontcourt would be fun to watch.

Basically I want a team of Monstars (Giannis, Embiid, Kristaps, Davis, Gobert)

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
My point was that the distinction between C and PF is almost nil, and there aren't many teams that employ a C that couldn't also play PF if the lineup were different. If you say a center is anyone who can play it, why do you care about forcing a C spot in the all-star game?

Athanatos posted:

This is the best solution.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Paul Zuvella posted:

Apparently Stephen A Smith got pissed off that the Cavs said no to the Melo/Love trade?

What? Is he even a real human being anymore?

He is rage, ignorance, and stupidity given form.

the mean lunch lady
Jun 24, 2009

went mad at sea
lots were drawn
Kroenke didn't survive
he was delicious
I'm late to Jokic chat, but I think him being in the ASG makes it way more fun than Gasol.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

There is a non-zero chance I'll get to talk to some (no idea which) Warriors players tonight at a season ticket holder event.

Anyone have any really important questions I should ask?

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

ketchup vs catsup posted:

There is a non-zero chance I'll get to talk to some (no idea which) Warriors players tonight at a season ticket holder event.

How can you still shoot so well while being so shook?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

KAT's dad probably tore his ACL when the Wolves' mascot hit him doing the "sled down the stairs" bit last night.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

dokmo posted:

Would you like to play a little game? I made two videos, each showing ten different 3pt attempts by JR Smith, first shown in real time, then repeated twice in slow motion. The clips cut off before the ball goes into the basket (specifically, the clips cut off one second after the ball leaves his hands). Each of the videos shows JR Smith making or missing exactly eight out of the ten attempts. I want you to guess which of the videos is the one where he makes 8.

The idea behind this is, can people tell if the ball is going in or not just by looking at a player's form? I'd like to get a bunch of responses to I can do some analysis. PM me which video contains the 8 made shots, video 1 or 2, or email me at dokmosa@gmail.com, or answer here if you want.

Video 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjcl3VeFl0o

Video 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YllbPAusrvE

The responses (thank you very much for playing along!) were overwhelmingly correct. I lost $37 to a coworker because of that. Obviously I allowed each clip to show too much of the ball's flight, but even then i was skeptical that people would be able to guess correctly. I will try again in a couple of months, cutting the clips off maybe 15 frames after the ball leaves the player's hands instead of 30 frames.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

IcePhoenix posted:

KAT's dad probably tore his ACL when the Wolves' mascot hit him doing the "sled down the stairs" bit last night.
Lol

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

ketchup vs catsup posted:

Ask KD what his next chapter is

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Can anyone articulate the difference between a PF and a C in the modern game?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

zoux posted:

The ability to guard the biggest rotation player on the opponents team is a center.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Ask them what they thought about the ground breaking ceremony

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

dokmo posted:

The responses (thank you very much for playing along!) were overwhelmingly correct. I lost $37 to a coworker because of that. Obviously I allowed each clip to show too much of the ball's flight, but even then i was skeptical that people would be able to guess correctly. I will try again in a couple of months, cutting the clips off maybe 15 frames after the ball leaves the player's hands instead of 30 frames.

Which was the correct video?

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

zoux posted:

Centers play face up to the basket less on offense and tend to be rim protectors more often. That doesn't mean they never face the basket or that pfs don't protect the rim, the distinction is getting blurred.

The modern center playstyle is similar to Duncan. (Who was secretly a center most of his career.) Position names are kind of outdated but everyone sticks with them anyway.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Jan 27, 2017

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

dokmo posted:

The ability to guard the biggest rotation player on the opponents team is a center.

Yeah I've heard that positions only matter for defensive purposes these days, but don't know if that's a basketball urban legend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Kibner posted:

Which was the correct video?

There are still responses trickling in, so I'm not going to give it away. But if you guessed, you almost certainly got it correct.

• Locked thread