Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who is the best Ace Combat protagonist?
This poll is closed.
Cipher 79 32.24%
Phoenix 9 3.67%
Mobius 1 84 34.29%
William Bishop--lol get out 24 9.80%
SHOOT VISARI 49 20.00%
Total: 245 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cooked Auto posted:

Aside from the menus being a bit clunky I didn't have that many noticeable performance issues with ACAH. And then I played most of it on probably a slightly under recommended spec machine before I upgraded.

Yeah, there was some obvious console port UI but it ran really smooth on my PC which is a few years old now. I'm so ready for 7, hearing it'll be on PC is a very nice surprise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zxB1ahoz_M

New Ace Combat 7 trailer is out.
Also confirmed that the game isn't PS4 exclusive and is coming for XB1.
And PC. :woop:

If you're not flying the whole thing in a polished-metal F-104 I don't wanna know ya

(I will not be doing this, because A. I suck and B. My skills are weak and bad)

My computer slowed to a chug trying to play Assault Horizon but parts of it are hell of old

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010
Ultra Carp
If the F-104's in, I can't wait to see what other goofy old planes are going to be in the game.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Welp. Time to update the header image... again :what:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>
Skies Unknown is a really dope subtitle

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

If they made an Ace Combat entirely with 1940s/1950s planes I would cease to be a productive member of society.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

LostCosmonaut posted:

If they made an Ace Combat entirely with 1940s/1950s planes I would cease to be a productive member of society.

I felt that the devs of H.A.W.X 2 really wanted to make a korea era game instead what with how guns where the only weapon worth a poo poo in it. :v:

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
The line about how 'nobody will be gripping a control stick and taking to the skies anymore' bugs me. The whole point of the COFFIN system is that it replaces that method of flight, people are still going to be flying around but way better :v:

Brunom1
Sep 5, 2011

Ask me about being the best dad ever.
Friend pointed out to me that the trailer's last shot is totally a Macross Plus reference.

Looking forward to YF-19 and YF-21 as secret planes!

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Brunom1 posted:

Friend pointed out to me that the trailer's last shot is totally a Macross Plus reference.

I look forward to Totally Not Sharon Apple resurrecting a retired weapons installation and bringing it back to (nearly) full power.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs

Brunom1 posted:

Macross game in the style of Ace Combat. :fap:

You can even keep the Idolmaster skins!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Brunom1 posted:

Ahahaha you're right, holy gently caress

And there's the cockpit shots of that weird proto-Coffin thing, the talk of a "suit" being not quite up to speed, and the drone-barfing air carrier

This is a loving Macross Plus game, isn't it

NobleSixFour
Jul 12, 2016

Thefluffy posted:

I felt that the devs of H.A.W.X 2 really wanted to make a korea era game instead what with how guns where the only weapon worth a poo poo in it. :v:

Sounds like you never got the MiG Alley DLC?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

God willing, this is the last time I have to change this loving banner.

e: Now I gotta wait for baldurk's internet situation to unfuck itself so I can have him retroactively update the Zero and Electrosphere entries on the LP Archive :mad:

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 27, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Ace Combat meets Macross Plus? I am going to ruin every pair of pants I own with this throbbing erection.:japan:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Can't wait to show some upstart AI how we humans fly.

IronSaber
Feb 24, 2009

:roboluv: oh yes oh god yes form the head FORM THE HEAD unghhhh...:fap:

Kibayasu posted:

Can't wait to show some upstart AI how we humans fly.

I'm holding out for the "Stealth" plotline where an AI pilot is struck by lightning and become self-aware or something.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Look, so long as I can continue, as crow says, "Isamu-ing" my way through the series doing dumb dodges and flying waaay to close to the ground and obstacles for anyone's comfort, I don't care what else is in the game.

Especially if I can do it in glorious face-mounted VR cockpit view.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

IronSaber posted:

I'm holding out for the "Stealth" plotline where an AI pilot is struck by lightning and become self-aware or something.

The part where the plot whiteboi and the AI threw down against two SU-37s was still the most Ace Combat and therefore best part of the movie

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Look, so long as I can continue, as crow says, "Isamu-ing" my way through the series doing dumb dodges and flying waaay to close to the ground and obstacles for anyone's comfort, I don't care what else is in the game.

Even if there's a difficult "willingly bash your skull on the flight console to avoid being brainwashed" QTE?

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

So, AC7 on PC, and with a shitload of references to the best Macross to boot, huh?

I didn't know I was capable of making the noise I am making right now.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I have the same behavior, and as such am trying to memorize for Unsung War what buildings disappear when shot and which have rubble with collision hotboxes. While trying to conserve missiles, there is so little margin of error while attempting to gun down swaths of buildings among skyscrapers and such.

Doesn't help that I'm using a controller with no pressure sensitivity on the throttle; it's either brakes, normal, or full afterburner.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014

IronSaber posted:

isn't that what ace combat 3 was all about? especially the even shittier castrated US version of it . :v:

Hace
Feb 13, 2012

<<Mobius 1, Engage.>>

Zomborgon posted:

I have the same behavior, and as such am trying to memorize for Unsung War what buildings disappear when shot and which have rubble with collision hotboxes. While trying to conserve missiles, there is so little margin of error while attempting to gun down swaths of buildings among skyscrapers and such.

Doesn't help that I'm using a controller with no pressure sensitivity on the throttle; it's either brakes, normal, or full afterburner.

Not having pressured buttons is especially annoying with the map, because in 5 it's either in super close, or suuuuuper zoomed out.

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

Hace posted:

Not having pressured buttons is especially annoying with the map, because in 5 it's either in super close, or suuuuuper zoomed out.

Indeed; luckily I can usually work fine with just those modes unless I'm trying to chase down certain target fighters quickly, in which case I just try to avoid letting them out of my sight.

Kadorhal
Jun 3, 2013

Look, just sign the stupid petition. I've got stuff to do.

Hace posted:

This is a (self-inflicted, admittedly) issue I'm having nowadays now that I have a copy of Zero to play again. I know I mentioned it back during its thread but either it or 5 introduced the alternate (now standard, I think) control scheme where Square switches weapons and Select brings up the map, but they didn't quite think things through so the map is invariably zoomed out to the highest level when you use it that way.

Also, looking forward to AC7 on PC, though I'd be kidding myself if I had any realistic expectation that its minimum requirements will be low enough that my recently-built-but-only-maybe-2013-level PC could actually run it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Oh my god, that trailer hit all the right notes for me:

-Amazing visuals
-Kobayashi music
-Super weapons
-Awkward philosophy

I am ready.

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Hace posted:

Skies Unknown is a really dope subtitle

The cover (?) is sick as hell too, even if that dude on the catwalk is about to get his eardrums completely blown out by that Raptor :black101:

EDIT: Also, holy poo poo:

quote:

Clouds aren't always good news, however. "You have to be careful because you don't just worry about the size of the cloud. In it, there’s a difference in wind currents, and the temperature changes." Staying in a thick cloud for too long could cause your vision to be obscured with moisture in cockpit view, your fighter could suffer icing which would cause you to stall, or you could crash into another plane. "Once you get out of the loop and into the cloud, it isn't always necessarily safe. Sometimes more dangerous. So what’s new is that judgement call and shift in strategy you have to make yourself."

I've never been more excited for dynamic control surface icing before.

ninjahedgehog fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Jan 27, 2017

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
the subtitle "skies unknown" makes me think it is going to be an ace combat/x-com crossover. :v:

ninjahedgehog
Feb 17, 2011

It's time to kick the tires and light the fires, Big Bird.

Thefluffy posted:

the subtitle "skies unknown" makes me think it is going to be an ace combat/x-com crossover. :v:

I would play the poo poo out of an Ace Combat with dynamically-generated missions and customizable wingmen who rise through the ranks before inevitably getting shot down. Throw in a Shadow of Mordor-esque nemesis system for dynamic enemy ace squadrons and I'll never play another game again.

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal

ninjahedgehog posted:

Throw in a Shadow of Mordor-esque nemesis system for dynamic enemy ace squadrons and I'll never play another game again.

Now I'm just imagining a recurring enemy Belkan ace screaming more angrily and incoherently about glorious Belka each time you meet, before being inevitably shot down and screeching "I'll get you next time! NEXT TIME!" or some other Saturday morning cartoon villain line.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Deep Dish Fuckfest posted:

Now I'm just imagining a recurring enemy Belkan ace screaming more angrily and incoherently about glorious Belka each time you meet, before being inevitably shot down and screeching "I'll get you next time! NEXT TIME!" or some other Saturday morning cartoon villain line.
While it was scripted and limited to one specific character, Crimson Skies had this as a reocurring enemy and it was hilarious how each crash made him more unhinged on the radio. :allears:

"Not again! Not bloody again!"

KDavisJr
Jul 17, 2010

A real avatar never dies, even when it's replaced!

Cooked Auto posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zxB1ahoz_M

New Ace Combat 7 trailer is out.
Also confirmed that the game isn't PS4 exclusive and is coming for XB1.
And PC. :woop:

Looks like I found another game to play on my X Box One along with XV2 and DOOM

Also on PC?

Oh man, gently caress Idolmaster, motherfuckers are gonna me modding skins of everything!

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

KDavisJr posted:

Oh man, gently caress Idolmaster, motherfuckers are gonna me modding skins of everything!

Well I was going to say that really depends on if they'll bother giving people tools for it but you know people are just going to figure out how to do it anyway. :v:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

KDavisJr posted:

So long as Kotori gets her own plane :colbert:

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

KDavisJr posted:

Looks like I found another game to play on my X Box One along with XV2 and DOOM

Also on PC?

So, what's the estimate on how long it takes until there is a Dash Rendar mod?

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

Cooked Auto posted:

Well I was going to say that really depends on if they'll bother giving people tools for it but you know people are just going to figure out how to do it anyway. :v:

There are Macross skins for ACAH that never got hacked out, though, did they? I mean I expect with 7 being a mainline title and probably launching the same day as the other platforms might help on this regard, but I know there were Japan-only VF-1 skins for the Super Tomcat (of course) that I wanted and couldn't get.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
so how long before someone slaps tits on a plane in a game.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Thefluffy posted:

so how long before someone slaps tits on a plane in a game.

Are we talking metaphorically, visually, or literally?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
So head's up for ACTUAL LP CONTENT: The Operation Katina video will be online within the next hour or so :woop: