Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

We officially signed Jermaine Jones and we're linked with this 23yo Portuguese CDM. The kid looks pretty good and his hair game is on point. We have been seriously been lacking the Sideshow Bob/Valderrama style in this league for too long.

While I doubt Jones plays more than half your seasons games, if you manage to pick up Johnny Two Saints to play on the wing in addition to Portugal dude at DM, the Galaxy would be scary again.

Is Zardes going to be a forward though or a winger?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

We officially signed Jermaine Jones and we're linked with this 23yo Portuguese CDM. The kid looks pretty good and his hair game is on point. We have been seriously been lacking the Sideshow Bob/Valderrama style in this league for too long.

Remember Juan Toja Wig Night?

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

Nostradingus posted:

Remember Juan Toja Wig Night?

Good times. Still sad he disappeared into Eastern European football.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot

a proper terrace in America? be still my beating heart

also since I'm making my ceremonial one post in the offseason thread, sell the team Kraft :getin:

TheBoyBlunder
Jul 3, 2004

Anyone else have the munchies?
The other Rapids target, Koomson, reportedly failed his medical exam so the deal is off.

link

Sure hope they have someone else in mind now.

insider
Feb 22, 2007

A secret room... always my favourite room in a house.
I still don't understand the point of the moves Crew have made. Why strengthen your Defense so much and then cripple it by not resigning your GK. I have no faith in Stuver and Steffen isn't ready yet.

Fucitol
May 8, 2005

Ceterum autem censeo mundum esse delendam

Memento, homo, quia pulvis es, et in pulverem reverteris
because steve clark was poop

from a butt

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck
Ian Harkes officially signed by DC United. The "Why hasn't Ian won two trophies like his dad, get the bum out of here" fan watch begins now.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Oh man you guys are gonna miss out on this dumbass getting a DUI, Salvatierra was just shipped back to LDA because he didn't pass the medicals at FC Dallas

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

Nybble posted:

Ian Harkes officially signed by DC United. The "Why hasn't Ian won two trophies like his dad, get the bum out of here" fan watch begins now.

I don't think you understand our fan base at all

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Cross-posting from the CCL thread:

https://twitter.com/CONCACAF/status/823557937977315328

It's not really a league now - it's a two-legged knockout tournament that feeds into another two-legged knockout tournament.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

This is good because the CCL was retarded

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Jack2142 posted:

This is good because the CCL was retarded

3 team groups are dumb as hell and i'm glad that idea is gone forever

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Bender: "I was God once." God: "Yes, I saw. You were doing well until everyone died."

The CCL is a joke anyway so it doesn't really matter if it's a league format or not.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

The CCL is a joke anyway so it doesn't really matter if it's a league format or not.

Spoken like the fan of a bitch loser team that can't do it on a rainy Tuesday in Costa Rica

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Spoken like the fan of a bitch loser team that can't do it on a chilly Wednesday in the Skydome

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Portland got another tico, Jhamir Ordain from Santos de Guápiles. He's a decent full back and should turn out good.

B.B. Rodriguez
Aug 8, 2005

Your Boy Fancy posted:

Spoken like the fan of a bitch loser team that can't do it on a rainy Tuesday in Costa Rica

Meh. It makes no financial or competitive sense to do anything other than qualify, so why play more games in lovely stadiums and on lovely fields against teams that will try to injure your players?

edit: And that's just going to Foxboro! Hey-yo! :rimshot:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!
So will the Phase 2 have group stages, or will it be a straight bracket knockout tournament? With home/aways I assume.

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

shirts and skins posted:

So will the Phase 2 have group stages, or will it be a straight bracket knockout tournament? With home/aways I assume.

straight knockout

also do we even need to ask if the american and mexican teams will get seeded away from each other

Dallan Invictus
Oct 11, 2007

The thing about words is that meanings can twist just like a snake, and if you want to find snakes, look for them behind words that have changed their meaning.

Azerban posted:

straight knockout

also do we even need to ask if the american and mexican teams will get seeded away from each other

They are apparently going to gin up a national coefficient system to determine seeding for the CCL proper, so with all the deep runs Canadian teams have been making we might just luck out.

("thanks, Montreal", he said through gritted teeth)

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
Chad Barrett can now claim the title of Official MLS Journeyman as he signs with his record setting seventh MLS team, Real Salt Lake.

http://www.sltrib.com/blogs/rsl/4854592-155/rsl-signs-mls-journeyman-striker-chad

whypick1
Dec 18, 2009

Just another jackass on the Internet
James Riley was also on 7 teams (NE, SJ, SEA, CHV, DC, LA, COL).

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003

whypick1 posted:

James Riley was also on 7 teams (NE, SJ, SEA, CHV, DC, LA, COL).

Was Chivas really a team though or just a Sunday beer league masquerading?

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon
https://twitter.com/ChrisRifer/status/823969713331970048

:lol: :lol:

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

Ahhhhahahah! That's perfect. Thanks for that, Portland.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

https://twitter.com/RobertWCross/status/823983772852895744

Poonior Toilett
Aug 21, 2004

m'lady

He's gotta be in his 40s by now

Tigren
Oct 3, 2003
I haven't seen him play in many years, but I'd still take him.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
He turned up on the Tampa Bay Rowdies roster a couple years ago, and I think he was still on it last season, too. He played a few games and had like one good assist in his first season, but then he got injured and Thomas Rongen got fired and he barely played after that.

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Jermaine Dildoe posted:

He's gotta be in his 40s by now

27 is the new 40?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

thelazyblank posted:

27 is the new 40?

He's not 27

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

fine, 27 is the new 40 according to his birth certificate.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
If ESPN cared enough about MLS to do a 30 for 30 involving the league, the Freddy Adu story would have to be at the top of the list.

Welcome to GBS
Feb 26, 2011

Simone Poodoin posted:

Portland got another tico, Jhamir Ordain from Santos de Guápiles. He's a decent full back and should turn out good.

I've heard he's a trialist, and considering we just picked up Chance Meyers in free agency I doubt they take the plunge.

Reports of the Timbers buying their second Argentine DP winger are becoming increasingly likely. If he can really play effectively on both wings or in the middle, I think he'll be a great pickup. When I play the Timbers on football manager that kind of player is my first pickup and it usually goes quite well.

First preseason game is TONIGHT! Who's ready to get back to watching this lovely league?

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
The Redbulls have tightened the pursestrings and tried to sell everyone on the idea that our youth system is so good we don't need to spend cash. It's a top 3 MLS youth academy but it's still an MLS youth academy. We badly need reinforcing and I'm getting annoyed at the office with their "transfer moves" and the Dax move. The idea they sold was more sensible young DPs with an upside instead of past it names on inflated contracts, the reality is basically no signings at all. The team will still make the playoffs and I think if that keeps happening we're doomed to be sidled with these cheapskates for awhile. We were bottom 4 on MLS salaries last year or something.

camoseven
Dec 30, 2005

RODOLPHONE RINGIN'
That seems like a pretty big overreaction considering y'all won the east last year and still have most of those players. The Dax trade was weird and I don't understand it despite having read a few "here's why NYRB traded Dax" articles, but other than that I don't understand what you're mad about.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

camoseven posted:

That seems like a pretty big overreaction considering y'all won the east last year and still have most of those players. The Dax trade was weird and I don't understand it despite having read a few "here's why NYRB traded Dax" articles, but other than that I don't understand what you're mad about.

We had like the 4th lowest wage bill in the league and we had at least one dp slot open. Instead of winning the east we could've possibly won the whole thing if we spent even just a third of what Toronto spends. Our defense is not in a good state right now and signing just one good European on a fair DP contract would be massive. Look what ex-Belgian league player Ciman has done for Montreal. The fact we won the East is what's letting them get away with their complete inactivity in the transfer market this year imo.

I can't find any up to date team spending data which takes into account the players we've let go, but in 2016 our wage bill was $5,536,504 and Toronto was over 20 million for reference.

Your Boy Fancy
Feb 7, 2003

by Cyrano4747
Welcome to budget hell. Oh look DC is spending a little money, hahahaha

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNakedJimbo
Nov 18, 2004

If you die first, I am definitely going to eat you. The question is, if I die first...what are YOU gonna do?
I really don't know what to make of FCD signing Cristian Colman. On the one hand, FCD needs a big 15- to 20-goal #9, and Colman only had 11 goals in 31 appearances with a Paraguayan club. On the other hand, he was also being pursued by Lanus, Club Leon, Sao Paolo, and Gremio, so they must all have seen something.

I get that he's only 22 and will be competing with Maxi Urruti for first-team minutes, and that players can take a while to adapt to a new league, but for a $2m fee and $1m salary, I feel like anything less than double-digit goals would be a letdown.

• Locked thread