Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

Difference is that I can take my character, leave the ship and walk right unto a space station immediately after landing. What happens in E:D? You just "transfer" to another ship?

No you can't, I have never successfully been able to get out of my chariot, I have to glitch through the walls lol.
Also please do not criticise Elite's multi crew as it is in alpha, please, let's have some consistency around here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

Chunjee posted:

Oops forgot one. And yes you can see someone leave the office on a bike. What a noobie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NA8FfDskw4Q&t=1360s
"We tried to figure out how fast we can do things. So we can project out how long; say we have 108 different areas we need to make in this game; how long is that going to take us? Is that going to take us into 2018?"

[4 years to get one essential feature] x [5 remaining features] = 20 more years :toot:
alternatively
[4 years] / [35 flyable ships] = [1.37 months per ship] x [42 remaining ships*] = 4.8 years to convert all jpegs to 3D :science:

* subject to more concept sales

another way to measure it:

[one kinda finished star system in 4 years] x [99 unfinished star systems] = 396 years :hb:
but I'm sure the planet pipeline will solve that shortly.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

ripptide posted:

I suspect the difference will be that in E:D, sitting down in the seat will not promptly eject you out into space to watch your chariot jitter off into the sunset.

Or tpose through the ships floor as you fall endlessly through space because you USE a turret

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ripptide posted:

I suspect the difference will be that in E:D, sitting down in the seat will not promptly eject you out into space to watch your chariot jitter off into the sunset.

Sunset would suggest there are planets and suns and that those planets orbit / are actually in space.
Let's not get ahead of ourselves here :laugh:

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

Difference is that I can take my character, leave the ship and walk right unto a space station immediately after landing. What happens in E:D? You just "transfer" to another ship?

I mean vibrating through your ship and the floor like the loving flash technically counts as walking I guess

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

Can you remind me what you can do in those that one single 'space station'?
I think I am missing something, all I can think of is:
Buy a hat
Press a screen and continue

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

ManofManyAliases posted:

He's got a point fellas. Who cares if there's gently caress all actual game in star citizen and if it's buggy and ugly and boring. Can you get out of the ship in Elite? Don't think so.

Let's hope Frontier never lets you do that like they've talked about eh.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

ManofManyAliases posted:

I would like to ask, given you affinity for fine meals...what smoker do you use?

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Logging in, taking a ship, flying to station, flying back, get into another ship, fly out, then back again, then log out without crashing or stimpiring has literally never been accomplished in the history of SC.

I know its never been done because the Quit button doesn't work and instead just crashes the program.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Can you stand near a corridor in elite? No, you cannot. In your face Braben :smug:

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

ManofManyAliases posted:

Yeah, that's critical. It doesn't matter if the entire thing is a buggy, unfun, generic shitfest made by a scamming, lying, inept autist. What matters is that there are no loading screens.

I also feel that eliminating loading screens is a realistic and justified result from stealing over $140 million.

No game with any loading or other scene transfers can be fun. All games without loading screens and other types of scene transfers are always maximum fun by default.

This is the dumbest conceivable hill to die on, and it's literally Star Citizen's only gimmick. The fact that it doesn't work is apparently not as critical than the fact that CIG says it will work. Chris Roberts, the piece of subhuman poo poo who steals from the mentally ill, has said it, thus it is true.

Chris, when you're done with Star Citizen, can you start a new Kickstarter to help investigate the causes and possible treatments of mental illness? You've already done the hard work by collecting them all in one place.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

peter gabriel posted:

Can you stand near a corridor in elite? No, you cannot. In your face Braben :smug:

You can't walk through doors in Elite either, take that haters.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Getting out of your ship and walking around makes games GREAT, I mean just look at X Rebirth.

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

peter gabriel posted:

No wankpods in ED.

Disappointing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I do always like that the 'Yeah but can you do this in elite?' frothings are one by one being answered by 'yes you can now'
Multi crew, planetary landings and soon walking around, we've been here many times and every single time Elite has put the features in. Eventually we'll be at the stage of 'yeah but does elite have Powered By Amazon on it? no, it does not' as we shrug and float in space in VR

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

Getting out of your ship and walking around makes games GREAT, I mean just look at X Rebirth.

And Second life - Oh hang on, lol

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Why would I want that though, the first time it would be cool but the hundredth time I went to grabby hand some cargo into my chariot I would like it to be as fast as possible.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Colostomy Bag posted:

I would like to ask, given you affinity for fine meals...what smoker do you use?

The one yet to be invented. It's far superior to anything out there, furthermore

Brazilianpeanutwar
Aug 27, 2015

Spent my walletfull, on a jpeg, desolate, will croberts make a whale of me yet?

ManofManyAliases posted:

cry myself to sleep knowing that I payed money to chris roberts

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Sandweed posted:

Why would I want that though, the first time it would be cool but the hundredth time I went to grabby hand some cargo into my chariot I would like it to be as fast as possible.

I dunno man, every time I walked out of my ship in X Rebirth and opened a locker or got a quest from space grandma I got a stiffy.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Sandweed posted:

https://twitter.com/Jorunn_SC/status/824969060513357825

This is the bar, it is very very low

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Pi Mu Rho posted:

Clearly, I'm just terrified of speaking out against Derek. Once you start riding the tiger, you can't get off.

Well now I don't know what to believe

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

ManofManyAliases posted:

What if he does? He'll fly out to see me? I'm not sure they'll even let him on a plane.

cool racist jokes in the thread tonite

iron buns
Jan 12, 2016

peter gabriel posted:

I do always like that the 'Yeah but can you do this in elite?' frothings are one by one being answered by 'yes you can now'
Multi crew, planetary landings and soon walking around, we've been here many times and every single time Elite has put the features in. Eventually we'll be at the stage of 'yeah but does elite have Powered By Amazon on it? no, it does not' as we shrug and float in space in VR

:ssh: Elite is actually powered by Amazon.

iron buns fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Jan 27, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Hav posted:

The one yet to be invented. It's far superior to anything out there, furthermore

Yes, it would have localized physics. I could do pulled pork at 225 on one grate and chicken at 325 on another.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

I am no game dev, but this is a subject I can relate to. I have a Char Griller Duo with the side mounted smoker box modified with a propane burner mod and cast iron skillet for wood chips and Bluetooth thermometer probes.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

cool racist jokes in the thread tonite

Lotta honkeys up in here.

DapperDon posted:

I am no game dev, but this is a subject I can relate to. I have a Char Griller Duo with the side mounted smoker box modified with a propane burner mod and cast iron skillet for wood chips and Bluetooth thermometer probes.

nnneeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrddddddd

Edit: I bought an air fryer recently; it's more a really small convection fan oven, but it's great for small batch cooking, and you get decent maillard reaction from a fairly small amount of oil. Tends to keep a lot of moisture around the food too. Seems faddy, but it's a lot smaller cleanup than loving around with the oven, and it produces roast vegetables like you wouldn't believe.

Hav fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Jan 27, 2017

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
first set of walk outs have begun

I'm sure everything is just fine and this is merely me making up stuff because

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
like you can literally go outside and have a beer with some ex CIG people right now if you're in LA

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Ol Cactus Dick posted:

This is the central conceit around Star Citizen. These people have a pathological need to be occupying their first-person avatar at all times - on the ground, on the platform, and when they walk into their ship, they want it to also be a 3D space. The chair they get into needs to be their avatar sitting in it, moving the controls needs to be their avatar moving the actual ship around like picking up and moving a miniature FPS level, the window they look out of can't just be a drawing of what's outside, it has to be what's really out there. The FPS character has to still be theirs through all this, like they could literally walk away from the controls, open the rear hatch, and see the station receding and have the choice to EVA out etc. and the station and ship would maintain positions.

These people can't leave their FPS avatar or immersion is ruined. These are the kids who couldn't play with Matchbox cars because they couldn't fit inside them. They couldn't play "the floor is lava" because the floor wasn't, in fact, lava. Every weird, socially inept, indefinably awkward kid you ever avoided without knowing precisely why is Star Citizen's target audience.

These are pointless achievements if the game is not fun. They're also unattainable by Chris Roberts, although an honest and skilled developer might be able to make this work one day. CIG has already used cheats and hacks to make it look like they've made progress, and at some point the autistic need to be in your avatar at all times will collide head-on with the fact that CIG has been cheating their way through that illusion. Right now the emotionally desperate need to believe they're going to get their game has kept those opposing forces in check. Once that paper-thin margin of security evaporates, the backers themselves will rip CIG apart.

Scruffpuff fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Jan 27, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

TheAgent posted:

TheAgent posted:

like you can literally go outside and have a beer with some ex CIG people right now if you're in LA

Can we finally get a candid interview?

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Sandweed posted:

Got good news for you m'boy,

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TheAgent posted:

Details? Art team? Enginnering? Interns? Seniors? Is it layoffs or performance firings? Quitting?

Also for FYADs reading I'd also like their home phone numbers and a list of their favorite movies.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

DapperDon posted:

Wow, that's a really weird detail to outsource to notoriously unreliable bluetooth communication

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

DapperDon posted:

lol it's funny you linked this because I bought almost that exact grill 4 years ago when I cashed out of star citizen and sold a scythe for like $1500. i like to think the stupidity of shitizens helps enhance the flavor

Beluga Snail
Jul 26, 2013

TheAgent posted:

This is tempting...though they are right next to the tracks. Someone should go safety supervise...

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Hav posted:

Lotta honkeys up in here.

You noticed that too?

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

And yet, they still miss it.....constantly and consistently.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

ManofManyAliases posted:

LOL. So you get to "push f2 to enter Turret 2 Seat?"

Yep. Leaps and bounds ahead.

Because spending a minute going from the belly turret to the dorsal turret (half of the time spent watching non interactive animations or doors opening) really bring something new and fresh to the gameplay ?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

TheAgent posted:

Christ, I just polished my knob yesterday and you hit me with this. I'm in my 40's man...my phallus can't take this abuse.