Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

Mymla posted:

What does it matter? How is one Bioware Space Marine Mary Sue different from any other?

Well who would read Honorverse books without Honor Harrington? Shepard is the key piece here, and I bet the new lame characters can never be as good or as interesting!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

The problem is that the Ryder children are too young and... Meh-ish? Son Ryder looks like a buffy the vampire slayer cameo - wait, that was the point, wasn't it? Girl Ryder seems more capable, but in a Dora the Explorer sort of way.

And yes, Shepard was based off a model, but the guy at least looked like he could have been in the navy for two or three years :v:

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
the only reason i haven't set exquisite tea to ignore is for his/her avatar that i occasionally GIS to read the whole story.

since youve made one post and i can find it again, please stop torturing yourself and leave

MadBimber
Dec 31, 2006
tbh its a better story than anything mass effect can muster

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Transmetropolitan posted:

The problem is that the Ryder children are too young and... Meh-ish? Son Ryder looks like a buffy the vampire slayer cameo - wait, that was the point, wasn't it? Girl Ryder seems more capable, but in a Dora the Explorer sort of way.

And yes, Shepard was based off a model, but the guy at least looked like he could have been in the navy for two or three years :v:

The more I think about it yeah that is kind of bothering me. Its becoming a little too anime where its a young person saving the world instead of the battle proven and experienced 30 year old saving the world.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

That's what CC is for

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

BexGu posted:

The more I think about it yeah that is kind of bothering me. Its becoming a little too anime where its a young person saving the world instead of the battle proven and experienced 30 year old saving the world.

Dragon Age was a warning after all. I thought Sera was one-off until I remembered Fenris.

SgtSteel91 posted:

That's what CC is for

Oh, for sure. It is only a "problem" in the sense of characterization, not in terms of appearance. (Though you may argue that extra 15 - 30 min creating your character can be bothersome but welp)

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Yeah, I want the character creator. Dragon Age Inquisiton had a fun one for making a variety of faces and if they can make something approaching not-awful hair it'll be next level.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BexGu posted:

Do you save the world in this game? They haven't really given a time line of this game at all. They might need to start young so it makes more sense for them to be still alive in mass effect andromeda 3 that is set 50 years later.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

BexGu posted:

ah yes the thing that only happens in anime: mid-twenties adults doing heroic things

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do you save the world in this game? They haven't really given a time line of this game at all. They might need to start young so it makes more sense for them to be still alive in mass effect andromeda 3 that is set 50 years later.

Haha this would never happen. Even if they age up 15 years they're just going to become supermodels like the shift of Ashley in ME1 to ME3 - which actually made her look worse an many respects.

The problem is that kids explore, adults maintain status quo. It's pretty standard thematically - ESPECIALLY given that Bioware is basically writing YA videogames to cater to their largest market - and faux-twee twitter-is-life employees or whatever.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
I actually really liked the maleshep face. It was "generic white male" but in my opinion probably the best rendition of it I've seen in a game. It was recognizable and didn't look too young or soft for the story

These new folk though, pretty all around terribly generic

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

ah yes the thing that only happens in anime: mid-twenties adults doing heroic things

No, there are also magical children are really 3,000 year old demigods but dress like you should be placed on a government watchlist by just by looking at them.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

Nah, Shepard wasn't fat enough to be in the Navy.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

World being Arkship, but probably. Seems like that dude that they ran into in the trailer just released is gonna gently caress up the Arkship some how. Your idea of time line makes sense through and scaling younger at the start makes sense.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

BexGu posted:

lol, in real life it's some 70 year old general making all the decisions and everyone else is just doing what their told.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

BexGu posted:

World being Arkship, but probably. Seems like that dude that they ran into in the trailer just released is gonna gently caress up the Arkship some how. Your idea of time line makes sense through and scaling younger at the start makes sense.

Being a videogame I'm sure you will save everything at the end. But they aren't going to stop making mass effect games so I would strongly assume

Game 1: save the colony ship, beat the bad guy, set up a colony in the ending.
Game 2: colony exists, but there is a new threat you have to investigate to protect it. Ends with you discovering the threat was bigger than you though!
Game 3: fight the bigger threat, save the galaxy, universe, human race.

Sloppy Milkshake
Nov 9, 2004

I MAKE YOU HUMBLE

exquisite tea posted:

No, there are also magical children are really 3,000 year old demigods but dress like you should be placed on a government watchlist by just by looking at them.

i mean i guess i'm not an official anime researcher or w/e but i feel like most anime is about high school kids

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line

Hamburger Test posted:

Don't forget to remind everyone who is having fun with it in 2 months.

is that when they'll have patched it?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Sloppy Milkshake posted:

i mean i guess i'm not an official anime researcher or w/e but i feel like most anime is about high school kids

Spiderman is anime af

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
You know, it'd be pretty drat cool to have you start working with the RockAliens after a couple missions of misunderstanding, and you and the evil overlord guy (who is actually pretty decent) are then working together to fight the small fringe group of anti-Milkway Aliens. You'd be able to be pretty friendly with the new government and poo poo and it would be fun.

However, I'm sure that your 30,000 mostly civilians will end up fighting an entire empire and winning - with Ryder shooting the torpedoes down the exhaust hatch to destroy the main bigbad government man.

FronzelNeekburm
Jun 1, 2001

STOP, MORTTIME

Lobok posted:

Are we talking about a star cluster like a cluster of stars, or a solar system?

Star cluster

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Drifter posted:

However, I'm sure that your 30,000 mostly civilians will end up fighting an entire empire and winning - with Ryder shooting the torpedoes down the exhaust hatch to destroy the main bigbad government man.

Watch the story be that you roll in and start killing everyone and overthrowing governments then the citizens of andromeda try to build and use some mega weapon to wipe you all out and the game uncritically makes you fight and stop them unironically.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Drifter posted:

You know, it'd be pretty drat cool to have you start working with the RockAliens after a couple missions of misunderstanding, and you and the evil overlord guy (who is actually pretty decent) are then working together to fight the small fringe group of anti-Milkway Aliens. You'd be able to be pretty friendly with the new government and poo poo and it would be fun.

They did say the Kett were'nt meant to be uniformly antagonistic like the Reapers or Collectors.

For all we know the Archon and their group could be the Kett's version of Cerberus

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I know the IRL definition, but it sounded like one of the people discussing it was describing a solar system so I wasn't sure what was being expected in the game. But part of it was me forgetting that in the games you traveled to an area and then went down one level further to individual solar systems (before going down to the planets).

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Watch the story be that you roll in and start killing everyone and overthrowing governments then the citizens of andromeda try to build and use some mega weapon to wipe you all out and the game uncritically makes you fight and stop them unironically.

Only if I can honk the horn on my Not Mako too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Ideally you will spend the game exploring new worlds, gathering resources, defeating enemies, and making treaties, but the whole time your NPC allies say "We're not going to master Andromeda through actual gameplay, Ryder! Some MacGuffin we know nothing about is our only chance!"

Nevets
Sep 11, 2002

Be they sad or be they well,
I'll make their lives a hell
The problem with restricting the game to 1 star cluster is that in the entirety of the Milky Way there are what, a dozen sentient species over 150 clusters? So if they are spread evenly that means you would average less than 1 sentient species per 10 clusters?

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
I can't imagine playing guyRyder as anything other than an optimistic boy scout caricature. Even if you changed his appearance, the voice would still sound too youthful and inexperienced, even innocent. The same goes for femRyder, but I feel like her voice actress might be better at doing a wider range of personalities.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

Hiveminded posted:

I can't imagine playing guyRyder as anything other than an optimistic boy scout caricature. Even if you changed his appearance, the voice would still sound too youthful and inexperienced, even innocent. The same goes for femRyder, but I feel like her voice actress might be better at doing a wider range of personalities.

He sounds juuuuuust enough like Nathan Fillion that someone is going to try to make Mal Ryder.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Nevets posted:

The problem with restricting the game to 1 star cluster is that in the entirety of the Milky Way there are what, a dozen sentient species over 150 clusters? So if they are spread evenly that means you would average less than 1 sentient species per 10 clusters?

There's a few more than that;

Asari, Turian, Salarian, Human
Krogan, Quarian, Drell, Volus, Hanar, Elcor
Rachni, Batarians, Vorcha, Yahg, Raloi, Geth
Keepers, Leviathans, Collectors

And there are a number of species that haven't been uplifted but are being studied etc.

Mr. Baps
Apr 16, 2008

Yo ho?

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This seems extremely likely. That or you end up helping the natives fight Andromeda's race of ancient (possibly mechanical) evil monsters and collaborators.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER
I wish dad pathfinder was a mom instead. The theme of daddy issues in this series is way overused, to the point that nearly every loyalty mission in ME2 revolves around it.

Also I'm going to enormously miss Jennifer Hale :(

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

That's be funny. :laugh:
Disappointing, but funny.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Daddy issues is kind of Bioware's core storytelling gimmick.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I hope daddy comes back as a reaper

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Zzulu posted:

I actually really liked the maleshep face. It was "generic white male" but in my opinion probably the best rendition of it I've seen in a game. It was recognizable and didn't look too young or soft for the story

Yeah all jokes aside the default maleshep was one of the best faces I've ever seen in a game. Something about the really defined cheekbones in ME1 especially looked great.

Also presumably there's going to be Geth in the new game too. Seeing as how they wouldn't even need to be in cryo-sleep for the journey there's a lot they could do with them.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Olaf The Stout posted:

I wish dad pathfinder was a mom instead. The theme of daddy issues in this series is way overused, to the point that nearly every loyalty mission in ME2 revolves around it.

Also I'm going to enormously miss Jennifer Hale :(

on the positive side we won't have every nerd's oedipus complex thrown in our faces

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm kinda hoping they have a thing like DAI that asks what you did in previous games. So if you chose destroy then things are cool, but if you chose green then a big flashing YOU ARE A MORON just beeps away on the screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Jack Harper is TIM's real name. One of your MEA squadmates is a Cora Harper, on a ship with an illegal AI sending humanity to spread further.