Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

ManofManyAliases posted:

Difference is that I can take my character, leave the ship and walk right unto a space station immediately after landing. What happens in E:D? You just "transfer" to another ship?

...and that somehow does what exactly?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

TheAgent posted:

today's the day!

enjoy the fallout

:fap:

My hateboner is ready.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
Derek Smart thinks a game mechanic is pointless and unnecessary. Think about that for a second.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Holy poo poo. Ahahahahahahahahahahaha.

EightAce
May 10, 2015

Watch it all come crashing down on his head and wonder why any of us gave him money in the first place.
Amazing scenes

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

DapperDon posted:

I am no game dev, but this is a subject I can relate to. I have a Char Griller Duo with the side mounted smoker box modified with a propane burner mod and cast iron skillet for wood chips and Bluetooth thermometer probes.

That is some crazy device, I love you guys. In south Brazil(doxxed!), we throw charcoal/wood on the ground, set it on fire and we are set:

http://www.destemperados.com.br/tendencias/churrasco-de-chao-tradicao-que-se-mantem-no-rio-grande-do-sul

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Wow, that's a really weird detail to outsource to notoriously unreliable bluetooth communication

I have used a ton of different brands and types of remote thermometers and so far the only one that is reliable and straight forward is the Igrill mini which just so happens to use BT. Rf would work fine except that the units themselves shot themselves in foot with an over convoluted and useless design that is overpriced and prone to failure. The mini has a magnetic mount and is hardly noticeable and has a very straightforward app for your phone or pc. I hate having to babysit the smoker for 10+ hrs with a brisket. That's also why I added the propane mod. So I can control the temps to the degree.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

EightAce posted:

Spill the beans. I'm gonna go full AssRapistDude420 on the next person being intentionally vague.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sandweed posted:

Why would I want that though, the first time it would be cool but the hundredth time I went to grabby hand some cargo into my chariot I would like it to be as fast as possible.

In ED, there's an option in one of the menus that sets it so, every time you leave a spacestation, you have to run through a flightcheck to make sure all your controls are working properly. Being prone to bouts of sperginess and enjoying finally having something to do with the flightstick I'd bought, I thought "That would make me feel like a real space rogue pilot!" and turned it on. And the first time it was fun. The second time, not so much. The third time, I went back into the menu and turned it off. Reality does not necessarily make for great gameplay.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

:mrgw:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

JugbandDude posted:

That is some crazy device, I love you guys. In south Brazil(doxxed!), we throw charcoal/wood on the ground, set it on fire and we are set:

http://www.destemperados.com.br/tendencias/churrasco-de-chao-tradicao-que-se-mantem-no-rio-grande-do-sul

That is why Chima's Brazilian Steakhouse gets most of my dining out money. loving gauchos know how to make some loving steak.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Bolow posted:

lol it's funny you linked this because I bought almost that exact grill 4 years ago when I cashed out of star citizen and sold a scythe for like $1500. i like to think the stupidity of shitizens helps enhance the flavor

It's their tears that seal in that delicious flavor.

JugbandDude
Jul 19, 2016

Remember when you were young, you shone like the sun

Shine on you crazy diamond!

DapperDon posted:

That is why Chima's Brazilian Steakhouse gets most of my dining out money. loving gauchos know how to make some loving steak.

You bet. I love Rudy's in Texas, I always go there when visiting. But, naturally I prefer our type of bbq.

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Christ, I just polished my knob yesterday and you hit me with this. I'm in my 40's man...my phallus can't take this abuse.

Go on....

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

D_Smart posted:

...and that somehow does what exactly?

Eemershun and fidelitah!

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Well now I don't know what to believe

Derek both is and isn't a terrible person at the same time. He's Schrodinger's Derek, except it's not the act of opening the box that defines the outcome, it's how you open it.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Tarquinn posted:

Eemershun and fidelitah!

Not meaning to doxx MOMA, but

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

peter gabriel posted:

I do always like that the 'Yeah but can you do this in elite?' frothings are one by one being answered by 'yes you can now'
Multi crew, planetary landings and soon walking around, we've been here many times and every single time Elite has put the features in. Eventually we'll be at the stage of 'yeah but does elite have Powered By Amazon on it? no, it does not' as we shrug and float in space in VR

My average play session in Elite:

Put on virtual reality headset because we live in the god drat future.
Start in the cockpit of my Imperial Cutter, which I have been grinding engineer upgrades on.
Physically get up, walk over to the end table in the back of my office, grab a bottle of water- VR mirrors my movement in the ship, so it's as though I'm walking around the bridge. Also there are invisible loving cats on the bridge that keep trying to trip me.
Sit back down and spend some time in map mode finding a planet with the appropriate materials on it.
Route plotted, initiate launch and get out of the docking bay.
Seamlessly fly from the breathtakingly enormous station to a new system, and then to the planet, and then down onto the planet, no loading screens, no interruptions except the seven thousand god drat interdictions that happen whenever you have any remotely valuable cargo, gently caress you Frontier.
Find a relatively flat spot and land. Deploy rover.
Spend several merry hours feeling like I am driving a tiny little rover on a barren alien world with the thinnest of glass between me and the howling void. Contemplate my mortality.

My average play session in Star Citizen (anecdotal because it's been a year now):

Disable SLI on my video cards because the game can't handle it.
Run game- wait for patcher to download 36 loving GB.
Launch game, pull out tablet and begin reading.
10 minutes later- game has loaded.
Attempt to leave wankpod, clip through floor, die.
Attempt to leave wankpod, get to ship spawning station, it doesn't loving work
Continue hammering on ship spawning station until it works.
Attempt to use airlock, it glitches out, slam face into it until you clip through.
Run to ship, attempt to board, clip through floor.
Attempt to board, clip through floor.
Say "gently caress It" and go float off the pad to get the weird zero-g effect. Float back over to top of ship cockpit. Press "USE" through ship wall on cockpit chair.
Magic teleport engaged, find self in chair.
Attempt to take off, ship clips into pad and explodes. Game crashes.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Colostomy Bag posted:

Yes, it would have localized physics. I could do pulled pork at 225 on one grate and chicken at 325 on another.

Note: You can't see at the top, but there are hooks that they hang the ribs from. So, you have some meat cooking at a 90 degree angle and its juices drip down to the meat on the grate below, which then has juices drip onto the meat on the grate below, etc.

Leatha's BBQ is drat amazing.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

iron buns posted:

:ssh: Elite is actually powered by Amazon.

Ha ha, I forgot about that :v:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I've been playing E:D a fair bit recently. Here is my list of things I've never thought "E:D would be a better game if you could...".

1)Walking around in a loving SPACESHIP GAME.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLUkgRAy_Vo

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

Difference is that I can take my character, leave the ship and walk right unto a space station immediately after landing. What happens in E:D? You just "transfer" to another ship?

Holy poo poo dude, listen to what you're saying.

Not once when instantly switching ships in E:D have I thought "Gee, I wish I had to watch an elaborate and unskippable animation, then walk for 5 mins, then watch another elaborate unskippable animation".

You're literally talking about the entire reason Star Citizen is a dumpster fire. Utterly worthless time wasting that takes thousands of man hours to implement for absolutely no gameplay what so ever.

Chalks fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Jan 27, 2017

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Even in the vast emptiness of space (marooned on this small planet) its still possible to shoot once and somehow hit another ship.

(We're going to rock civilisation)

Even still, these spergs come up with a lot of words and theorycrafting.

But I guess its boring to say "THE SHIP YOU HIT HAD SHIELDS, WHICH ABSORBED THE BLOW."

-The crew continued T-posing and bugging out in piece until arriving at their destination, bacjwards and warped inside out, before causing large sections of the docking yard to split away from the main body and float away, never to be used again.

:golfclap:

Tarquinn
Jul 3, 2007

I know I’ve made some very poor decisions recently, but I can give you
my complete assurance that my work will be back to normal.
Hell Gem

ripptide posted:

Not meaning to doxx MOMA, but

That's exactly what I had in mind as typed my post. Thumbs up!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Chalks posted:

Not once when instantly switching ships in E:D have I thought "Gee, I wish I had to watch an elaborate and unskippable animation, then walk for 5 mins, then watch another elaborate unskippable animation".

You're literally talking about the entire reason Star Citizen is a dumpster fire. Utterly worthless time wasting that takes thousands of man hours to implement for absolutely no gameplay what so ever.

Bullshit. Everyone loved the immersive elevators in the first Mass Effect.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Chalks posted:

If you don't have to manually load boxes of poo poo into a chariot in real time then I just don't want to know

Pushing new boundaries, uninventing gaming techniques that have worked for years in a 'OMG, EUREKA!' type daze as methods long since shitcanned pop into Chris's heads as brand new revolutionary concepts ha ha

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

•[Time of making a character from concept to final] It depends on armoured or costume. Armour is more complex because they have an undersuit and then putting armour on top so you're creating two characters essentially. For a costume though it's a simpler and that takes around 40-60 days, it's broad because of other factors that can be involved but a costume head to toe is about that much time. Just to make a t-shirt however is about 4 days.

Theres gonna be millions of npcs though.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

Sunswipe posted:

Bullshit. Everyone loved the immersive elevators in the first Mass Effect.

Some of those elevator conversations were great. I did miss them in 2 and 3.

Talia's line to Garrius about the shotgun is priceless though.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Theres gonna be millions of npcs though.

Nah man they just gotta code the AI building those slim-fitting armours and the rest'll take care of itself

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Chalks posted:

Did they ever expand Eve online beyond the point where you could walk around your apartment and go look at a ship? That predated Star Citizen and it was universally reviled because it got in the way of the efficiency of the interface...

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Hav posted:

Did they ever expand Eve online beyond the point where you could walk around your apartment and go look at a ship? That predated Star Citizen and it was universally reviled because it got in the way of the efficiency of the interface...

No, because even :ccp: realised that walking instead of flying is loving boring.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!

ManofManyAliases posted:

Really, it is the variety in the character model that makes Star Citizen so special. Each is just so unique and leads to such compelling, emergent gameplay.

e: getting the daughter a new cat today--will tax later. :)

ee: the three choices had been adopted. Sad little girl. Next week!

HycoCam fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Jan 27, 2017

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Idiot: I just spent $8000 on a spaceship in a videogame :smuggo:
Sane person: Why the gently caress would you do that?
Idiot: Because I LOVE walking around!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
*buys spaceship game*
*complains about lack of walking around*

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

EightAce posted:

EightAce posted:

Amazing scenes

:fap: :fap:

:confused:

:fap: ?

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I just uninstalled iracing because the platforming puzzle sections were poo poo

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

I want to know if anyone did anything like:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcuYZCv3cKM

Dooguk
Oct 11, 2016

Pillbug

TheAgent posted:

like you can literally go outside and have a beer with some ex CIG people right now if you're in LA

Any updates?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

I just uninstalled iracing because the platforming puzzle sections were poo poo

The Banjo and Kazooie style item hunt is really a pain in the rear end in Dirt Rally.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Kibner posted:

Note: You can't see at the top, but there are hooks that they hang the ribs from. So, you have some meat cooking at a 90 degree angle and its juices drip down to the meat on the grate below, which then has juices drip onto the meat on the grate below, etc.

Leatha's BBQ is drat amazing.

The problem I have with units like these is that the "juices" which is fat that turns rancid due to it not being cleaned.