Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
Give them political power see how things will change

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
How have the Maori MPs worked out for New Zealand?

Dreylad
Jun 19, 2001

MA-Horus posted:

EDIT: Also, I don't understand why making fun of a man with PTSD is ok. Dallaire didn't get PTSD in Afghanistan from an IED for gently caress's sake, the poor son of a bitch was placed in the worst position in which an impossible decision had to be made. Yes he got drunk and pissed himself on a park bench. I would have blown my loving head off far before that point.

It's not ok, but that's not going to stop people.

Xaranthius
Nov 27, 2002

Grimey Drawer

RBC posted:

I've never seen consituency offices anywhere other than shithole strip plazas or even impossible to locate 2nd floor office spaces above them because the members don't actually spend any time at all there it's just an empty space with signs in the window and a lone computer with an overworked admin assistant whose probably throwing all your letters directly into the trash bin which i've actually seen happen first hand

My dad has gone to the local MLA's office (Leonard Krog) when he's had a couple issues with government stuff and the people there have been very helpful and accomodating. This is also somewhat amazing giving my dad is a difficult person to deal with in general, putting it lightly.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

The Heart Of The New West tm

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015
"My solution as a great woke ally: gently caress those apples who don't live on the res lol"

Also the Romeo Dallaire thing is just CI degenerating into edge when it's not about the Vancouver housing market.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Dreylad posted:

It's not ok, but that's not going to stop people.

It's certainly not going to stop the cynical edgelord that keeps doing it specifically because it gets a rise out of him every single time.

yippee cahier
Mar 28, 2005

New Zealand has proportional Maori representation, country doesn't appear to be a failed state or an example of apartheid. Any real reason it couldn't work here?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Let's be clear here. When every single motherfucking degenerate Canadian soldier (and it seems like there's an abundance of garbage soldiers) who commits s heinous crime starts using PTSD as a loving defense (or their family) it's time to start asking ourselves if we are giving these motherfuckers too much of a loving pass to absolve themselves of responsibility.

Kill your entire family and then yourself? No problem.
Torture starve and sexually abuse your own son in a basement dungeon? No problem.
Attempt to strangle your daughter to death? No problem.
Kill your wife to death with dozens of stabs to the face? No problem.

ptsd is a valid defense u guys

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes
Does each first Nation get an MP?

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh I forgot. Bellletstalk

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

namaste faggots posted:

Torture starve and sexually abuse your own son in a basement dungeon? No problem.

I thought that one was an RCMP, who probably has PTSD from all the natives he's beaten or something.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Great job Pallister (you loving racist piece of poo poo).

quote:

He told a Maclean's reporter "Young Indigenous men — a preponderance of them are offenders, with criminal records — are going off shooting guns in the middle of the night."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/brian-pallister-night-hunting-comments-manitoba-1.3954539

Vintersorg fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Jan 27, 2017

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

Does each first Nation get an MP?

Yes, checkmate Liberals :qq:

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

PT6A posted:

How have the Maori MPs worked out for New Zealand?

yippee cahier posted:

New Zealand has proportional Maori representation, country doesn't appear to be a failed state or an example of apartheid. Any real reason it couldn't work here?

NZ has a very effective and progressive electoral and representation system with Maori electorates that is only disliked by a small minority of anti-Maori racists. I doubt it would work in Canada because there is a much larger percentage of people here who are anti-First Nations (ie. racist as gently caress).

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

No surprise the Manitoban Premier shares the same view as Manitobans

Agnosticnixie
Jan 6, 2015

CLAM DOWN posted:

NZ has a very effective and progressive electoral and representation system with Maori electorates that is only disliked by a small minority of anti-Maori racists. I doubt it would work in Canada because there is a much larger percentage of people here who are anti-First Nations (ie. racist as gently caress).

They're also using a PR system, which wouldn't instantly disenfranchise the vast majority of FN citizens with the way the system is set up because reservation fetishism is baked in both the activists and the ministry's view of how real first nations live.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
How did pallister get so rich?

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Man passing out in piss pants on a park bench is usually just the sign of a good Friday night I don't get what the big deal is

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

The constitution says that provinces get represented in the HoC, not people (or FNs), so it'd require a constitutional amendment with the 7/50 formula. That's not impossible, but tough.

(Realistically, you're not getting it done without Québec's assent, which means a whole other can of worms, and well)

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Agnosticnixie posted:

They're also using a PR system, which wouldn't instantly disenfranchise the vast majority of FN citizens with the way the system is set up because reservation fetishism is baked in both the activists and the ministry's view of how real first nations live.

Yeah, NZ doesn't have reservations for Maori either, very different system/culture/people/history.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

namaste faggots posted:

Let's be clear here. When every single motherfucking degenerate Canadian soldier (and it seems like there's an abundance of garbage soldiers) who commits s heinous crime starts using PTSD as a loving defense (or their family) it's time to start asking ourselves if we are giving these motherfuckers too much of a loving pass to absolve themselves of responsibility.

Kill your entire family and then yourself? No problem.
Attempt to strangle your daughter to death? No problem.
Kill your wife to death with dozens of stabs to the face? No problem.

ptsd is a valid defense u guys

And Dallaire has done...literally none of those things except have a wicked-bad set of sadbrains from watching a literal genocide occur before his eyes that he could do absolutely nothing to stop. So I don't know why you're such a prick about it. Yeah, it ticks me off because you're being douchey about it for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

And troops with PTSD who commit crimes should not ever be given a "pass" just for having PTSD. It's a possible cause, never an excuse.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

MA-Horus posted:

And Dallaire has done...literally none of those things except have a wicked-bad set of sadbrains from watching a literal genocide occur before his eyes that he could do absolutely nothing to stop. So I don't know why you're such a prick about it. Yeah, it ticks me off because you're being douchey about it for absolutely no reason whatsoever.

And troops with PTSD who commit crimes should not ever be given a "pass" just for having PTSD. It's a possible cause, never an excuse.

I was going to say this exactly. Well put

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

No surprise the Manitoban Premier shares the same view as Manitobans

WE AREN'T RACIST WE ARENT RACIST

its just these natives who are the problem!

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Risky Bisquick posted:

Yes, checkmate Liberals :qq:

I like it. Seems expensive though and a lot of work. Can we try just buying a bunch of canoe sheds first, I'm pretty sure that's what they actually want. Try that first and then the MP thing.

v: He does it because it gets a rise out of you every single time.

Postess with the Mostest fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 27, 2017

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I just don't understand the point of being a dick in regards to what appear to be pretty decent people. If he had gotten PTSD after leading a My Lai-type massacre, sure. There are other targets out there to be dicks to that actually deserve it.

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN
Dude how is it possible you're getting trolled this easily when you've been posting here for years?

Reince Penis
Nov 15, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Scaramouche posted:

Man passing out in piss pants on a park bench is usually just the sign of a good Friday night I don't get what the big deal is

Yeah really. Let he whose pants are unsoiled cast the first stone.

e:Debate & Discussion › CanPol Megathread: Let he whose pants are unsoiled cast the first stone

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
I poo poo on your beloved colonel because he's the best the Canadian military has to offer. An old man who can't control his bowels, who ran away screaming in a un peacekeeping mission because he was just following orders

Just loving abolish the cf already

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Postess with the Mostest posted:

I like it. Seems expensive though and a lot of work. Can we try just buying a bunch of canoe sheds first, I'm pretty sure that's what they actually want. Try that first and then the MP thing.

v: He does it because it gets a rise out of you every single time.

Inukshuk subsidies now #realchange

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe

MA-Horus posted:

if this is really the case, why does every single one of these motherfuckers plead PTSD?

DariusLikewise
Oct 4, 2008

You wore that on Halloween?

namaste faggots posted:

How did pallister get so rich?

He owns the Pallister Financial Group and I think his wife's family owns an insurance company or some poo poo too. Also he has several shell corporations in Costa Rica.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

namaste faggots posted:

if this is really the case, why does every single one of these motherfuckers plead PTSD?

you know that isn't a get out of jail free card right, you don't murder your family, say "I have ptsd because an Afghani looked at me" and they let you out of jail?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Risky Bisquick posted:

No surprise the Manitoban Premier shares the same view as Canadians

Like Manitobans are anything special in that regard

E: Manitoba's the worst from having the largest population percentage of the provinces, get a similar percentage in other provinces and watch the racist shitheads come crawling out of the woodwork

gently caress Pallister though, this is the second time in the span of a week he's said awful poo poo like this. At least this time the racism wasn't a crazed tangential response to someone asking about loving farm economics? :psyduck:

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Jan 27, 2017

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

namaste faggots posted:

Are you tracking all military-personnel crimes, or just the ones juicy enough to show up in the Post?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Make each First Nations person an MP.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Make Stephen Fletcher the MP for all reserves and watch the infrastructure problems get solved by an emergency stimulus for some reason

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

Mulcair has Denounced you! (He thinks you're a fascist)

quote:

NDP Leader Tom Mulcair has denounced U.S. President Donald Trump as a “fascist,” and urged Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to stand up to the American leader on his plan to exclude refugees and some immigrants from the United States.

During a press conference Thursday in Ottawa, Mr. Mulcair publicly repeated the term for a nationalistic and authoritarian government, which he first used to describe Mr. Trump in a March video with NDP supporters.

“I didn’t wait for Mr. Trump to get elected to denounce him. I was very clear that his behaviour was the behaviour of a fascist,” Mr. Mulcair said on Thursday.

“Going after people based on their religion is classic behaviour of a fascist. Ruling by decree instead of going to your elected officials is again a reflex of someone who doesn’t respect the fundamental nature of a democratic society.”

Mr. Mulcair said Mr. Trudeau should stand up to Mr. Trump on his proposal to bar most refugees from entering the United States, and suspending all visas from people in Syria, Iraq, Iran, Libya, Somalia, Sudan and Yemen until the country can put in place tougher vetting for immigrants.

The move will be Mr. Trump’s attempt to fulfill a campaign promise of a moratorium on Muslims entering the United States. The pledge was so controversial that even Republican supporters of his rivals for the party’s nomination openly described him as a fascist at campaign rallies. In an interview with ABC News on Wednesday, Mr. Trump denied the move was a “Muslim ban” but rather, dealing with countries that have links to terrorism.

“I find it shameful that we’re seeing that in this day and age,” Mr. Mulcair said.

“I’m hoping that Canada’s Prime Minister, who talks a good game when it comes to international human rights, will actually have the courage to stand up to Mr. Trump and denounce the fact that he is excluding people because of their religion, not because of anything they’ve done.”

The Prime Minister’s Office did not immediately respond to a request for comment. Mr. Trudeau was asked during a press conference in Winnipeg whether he is concerned with more refugees coming to Canada due to stricter border controls in the U.S.

Without directly addressing Mr. Trump’s plan, Mr. Trudeau said that Canada’s approach to refugees and immigration is “open, and yet rigorous,” and that “security is always strongly addressed.” He said there are close to 60 million refugees and displaced peoples around the world.

“Canada will continue to do its small part by welcoming in people, but there’s a lot more that we need to continue to do in supporting countries that are significant [recipients] of refugees, whether it’s Jordan, Lebanon or Turkey, and doing what we can to counter the strife and conflict that is giving rise to so many refugees,” he said.

“Canada has a lot of things to do in the world and we’re happy to be playing our part.”

Conservative MP Tony Clement, the party's public safety critic, said Mr. Mulcair's comments show he is trying to regain lost ground from left-leaning voters.

"You light your hair on fire, I guess that's one way to attract attention," Mr. Clement said in an interview on Friday.

"As a matter of policy, I don't think calling an incoming president any sort of name is going to be good strategy."

When asked if Mr. Mulcair's comments could potentially damage Canada's relationship with the Trump administration, Mr. Clement said, "No, because Tom Mulcair really doesn't count."

"I don't think President Trump is going to care what the leader of a third party is going to say about Canada-U.S. relations," he said.

But Mr. Clement added that Mr. Trudeau is facing a "conundrum" because he needs to engage with Mr. Trump even though a segment of his supporters want zero engagement with the new President.

Mr. Clement said that Canada should stick to its own issues. "If political leaders are called upon to comment every single time something happens in the United States, we won't have time to worry about what was happening in Canada."

Mr. Mulcair also said Mr. Trump’s assertion that torture “works” causes him grave concern.

“This is the same Donald Trump who often calls other people barbaric for their behaviour, and I think that saying no to the torture of other human beings is a sign of a movement towards a more civilized world,” Mr. Mulcair said.

Lain Iwakura
Aug 5, 2004

The body exists only to verify one's own existence.

Taco Defender

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

OK but America shows all the hallmarks of a fascist state so Mulcair isn't wrong.

To whit:

Authoritarian policies
A nostalgia for a bygone era of influence
High valuation of youth and vigour
Reliance on a nebulously defined external enemy for legitimacy
High levels of nationalism
A "with us or against us" attitude toward national identity
Extreme value placed on national symbols

I think that covers most of the bases and draws strong parallels to Italian fascism

Anyway, long story short Mulcair is right, it's news to nobody, and he's still an inconsequential bearded gnome.