Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
This game is
This poll is closed.
Great! 180 32.61%
Awesome! 212 38.41%
Good! 160 28.99%
Total: 552 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

The gods randomly popping up seems like it's actually broken code wise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

Zest posted:

Well said. Summarizes my feelings well.

RE: Magic explained / "Magic as alternative physics": This kind of plot device is notorious for being difficult to pull off well. Brandon Sanderson (author of the Latter half of Wheel of Time Novels, Mistborn, and the Stormlight Archives) uses it heavily as "magic with rules", and FF15 does have some of that vibe, where "magic" is just an esoteric field of physics.

It feels like it doesn't do that. It feels like magic is just magic 99% of the time. Then there is like one thing that gets super explained as just being "it wasn't magic after all" and that is what makes it feel weird. Like the game seems fine with just having gods and crystals and the game never explains it at all then there is a magical disease and the game goes out of it's way to make sure you know that one specific thing is grounded in real world science somehow.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Zest posted:

Brandon Sanderson (author of the Latter half of Wheel of Time Novels, Mistborn, and the Stormlight Archives)

Technically he only wrote the three, and even then it was mostly using notes and filling in already written bits.

(It was very good and made me read his other stuff)

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied

IcePhoenix posted:

I might just have a terrible memory but I don't think that second one was scripted because I'm pretty sure it didn't happen for me. But as far as the scripted ones go, you're missing Bahamut vs Ifrit.

Ok I definitely saw that one you spoilered.

All said, I hardly ever see them. Maybe I need to get into rougher situations...

I miss on demand summoning instead of meeting conditions

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

I like how if you beat up one of the airdropped sets of MT troops, they drop at least one thing (boosters, etc) that when combined with a full stack of all three of the elements, makes a quintcast unicast thing that just shits 50K damage on everything. Do this a few times, collect the drops (because most of the groups will drop two or sometimes three) and spend ten minutes going between campsites farming the elemental energy rock things, and you wind up with a full set of eatshitga flasks. I can't WAIT for the next boss I see, this is gonna be dope

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

PopeCrunch posted:

I like how if you beat up one of the airdropped sets of MT troops, they drop at least one thing (boosters, etc) that when combined with a full stack of all three of the elements, makes a quintcast unicast thing that just shits 50K damage on everything. Do this a few times, collect the drops (because most of the groups will drop two or sometimes three) and spend ten minutes going between campsites farming the elemental energy rock things, and you wind up with a full set of eatshitga flasks. I can't WAIT for the next boss I see, this is gonna be dope

Once you can start farming Zu Beaks it becomes very easy to create 999-potency Freeze/Flare/Electons that do 99999 damage at once, no worrying about the enemies moving out of the cast area as 5 Firagas go off in a row. Plus Unicast can really suck if what you're fighting absorbs or nullifies the randomly-chosen spell.

I think 6-8 Zu Beaks (so 2-3 Zu kills) is enough to get you something like 15-17 casts of a 999-potency spell.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

9 Zu beaks 15 casts almost 999

Phantasium posted:

I've heard a ton of complaints about people never seeing summons, but I saw Shiva like ten times in one 3 or 4 hour gameplay session.

Also the one time I saw Leviathan was in the desert far away from any body of water.

You were next to those water towers

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I haven't had Titan show up once in my 93 hours playing the game.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Renoistic posted:

I had him show up on my very first big fight after getting him. :shrug:

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Renoistic posted:

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Wait the summons show up in battles? I honestly thought they were just part of the storyline and weren't actually useful aside from that.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Each summon has a specific set of requirements to make them show up. It's easy to look up the requirements for each one and then go and trigger it if you wanna see them. Like I think only certain ones can show up indoors or in dungeons. Leviathan requires being near a large body of water, etc.

I think Titan only shows up if your allies have died a lot during a fight.

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

You can't summon Bahamut outside of scripted events?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Attitude Indicator posted:

You can't summon Bahamut outside of scripted events?

Correct. Only Ramuh, Shiva, Titan and Leviathan can be summoned.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Darn I was hoping Ifrit was summonable in ng+.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

You were next to those water towers

Water towers?

Edit: It was during the Bennu fight for the legend quest, I'm looking and only see bare desert around (unless those oil-pipe-ish things somehow count?).

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Jan 27, 2017

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ifrit can gently caress right off, that battle was annoying as hell. I dunno if it was glitched or if I was doing something wrong but he only dropped his fire shield like once every 30-40 seconds and only for long enough to get a very small number of hits in.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Renoistic posted:

Funnily enough, I saw him for the first time in the very last fight of the game.

What does the holiday festival do? I literally just deleted my install Tuesday, and I want to know if I need to reinstall.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Kelp Me! posted:

ifrit can gently caress right off, that battle was annoying as hell. I dunno if it was glitched or if I was doing something wrong but he only dropped his fire shield like once every 30-40 seconds and only for long enough to get a very small number of hits in.

I just hit him with a quintcast blizzara three or four times, pretty easy fight :v:

Maybe it's just selective memory but I feel like a lot of people forget about magic in this game and a lot of complaints about various fights would be solved by "blow them up with mid level spells that are amped up by the eighty seven bear asses you're hanging on to"

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Jan 27, 2017

hagie
Apr 6, 2004

All sensitivity has long ago atrophied
I had Ramuh show up in the first Magitek base battle. It was right as I was landing the last hit on the tower I got the notice that he wanted to participate.

He smited the poo poo out of every MT in the area, and we bounced.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
I've had all the other summons help me out repeatedly. It's just Titan who refuses to show :v:

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

I only ever had Ramuh show up for me in fights and I complained and made fun of Titan for never coming to help

then he came during the last fight in the game

"MY MAN!"

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord

IcePhoenix posted:

I just hit him with a quintcast blizzara three or four times, pretty easy fight :v:

Maybe it's just selective memory but I feel like a lot of people forget about magic in this game and a lot of complaints about various fights would be solved by "blow them up with mid level spells that are amped up by the eighty seven bear asses you're hanging on to"

My feeling from earlier in the thread is that people didn't realize you could put multiple copies of an item in a spell and thought you could never have more than 3 of a spell and played the whole game thinking you made minimum level spells three at a time. Like strongest spell they ever saw was 99 fire energy, 1 bear rear end, the end.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Yeah I had friends with 70 hours in who had never cast a single spell. Also my other friend who 100% all hunts and dungeons and only used The sword move set from beginning to end

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Thanks!

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
My thoughts after beating the game, segmented to help keep what I'm talking about straight (spoilers for throughout the game):

Noctis
He had really good voiceacting and I loved his goofy streak early in the game "Beeeeeeeeeennnnnsss" was particularly funny to me, he's really good at sounding really pathetic sometimes, but he did sell the campfire scene right at the end.

Ignis
Kind of not much to go on, besides the memetic "Recipeeeeee" line, but I liked his behaviour after being blinded, he was very professional. At one point in the mine where he canes his way through, he got stuck with his calves half buried and couldn't move. When I attacked him to reset his animation, instead of the normal banter I got this:

Prompto (furiously): "Dude! What did Iggy ever do to you?!"
Noctis: "My bad..."
Prompto: "Worse than bad! :3:

Gladio
Not much to say, fairly standard archetype, got a bit obnoxious on the train, noodle stuff was funny.

Lunafreya
Kinda badass in the three cutscenes that she got. Loved her pushing the guns out of the way like a badass, then trying to argue with a raging Goddess. Leviathan was fearsome, Luna gave no fucks. Loved how every time Levi tried to eat Luna she'd just blast the roof of her mouth with the trident. I liked her enough that I was actually sad to see her go, wanted to see her be more badass.

Ardyn:
Decent villain, loved the voice. The kefka parallels are definitely there, although he is his own beast (I kinda think of it like this: The Mark Hamill Joker is to Heath Ledger's Joker, as Kefka is to Ardyn), and I thought the final boss was fun. I loved his walking through your party after Noctis gets crystal'd too.

The side characters in the sidequests are fine, I like that they all have their little stories, like helping the Chocobo man protect Black Chocobo's from extinction and Vyv slowly coming over to your side by virtue of good photos.

Something weird with the Cid Quests, unless this is due to a patch - I know I got Sturdy Helixhorns from the normal Spiracorns. During the Last Spiracorn hunt the first thing I did was hit one of the little guys in the face and he dropped one, we hadn't even touched the Duplicorns yet (and I know the difference because Duplicorns are loving three stories tall), and I got another in a pack of just Spiracorns. I'm not sure if I'm just insanely lucky, but it happened. I also got a coeurl whisker from my first Coeurl kill of both playthroughs.

Overall I'm enjoying the mechanics, the fighting feels good and getting a good burst of sprinting and chaining it with clicking the Left stick feels good, the driving is a good fast travel, and chocobos are fun too.

I also love that the summons felt like individuals.

Ifrit was cool and aloof, swatting you like flies from his throne, then gets serious when you actually manage to hurt him and he gets a little riled. Him dodging Bahamut was an awesome cutscene.

Shiva was interesting too, I like the idea that after the empire killed her she reformed in a smaller body, flipped the empire off and went off to become a babysitter. When granting you her power on the Train she's pretty much saying "Come here bambino... did the mean immortal scare you? Here, have a sword, have my power, have fun. BTW don't forget the blood price. ^_^"

Leviathan was hilarious, just a raging lunatic angry that she'd been woken up. She's all "MY ALARM WASN'T DUE FOR ANOTHER THOUSAND YEARS! AAAAAARGH I WILL EAT EVERYONE IN THE WORLD!" before Titan shows up and goes "CALM the gently caress down! He's cool, me and Ramuh vouch for him :colbert:."

Titan seemed chill, giving you a small test then being all "Good enough, let's go"

Ramuh was weird as his thing seemed almost playful. He was all "Touch my stones! Touch my stones! One more, come one, play my game and touch my stones! :v:"

I liked that Bahamut was patient, he understood that sure, if you're asking someone to kill themselves for the greater good, they're gonna have questions. He patiently stood there, and answered all of Noctis's questions without trying to rush him, then gave him a place to crash in Giruvegan's kitchen until he was ready.

Although something I would like to see in these sorts of settings would be the main character calling the gods out on bad behaviour. Just like, "What, drawing out the evil without killing the host wasn't what you wanted him to do? What was Ardyn just supposed to kill his own subjects? You gave him no other tools. The oracle could only do things properly because you finally thought to give them to her, then you shat on Ardyn for 2000 years and now I'm stuck cleaning up your mess.

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 22:56 on Jan 27, 2017

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

DaveKap posted:

I see some people in here suggesting that Kingsglaive doesn't need watching but nobody is giving the proper reason why it absolutely must be watched under a certain circumstance.
That circumstance is if you are a fan of Final Fantasy 6. If you are a fan of Final Fantasy 6, you need to watch Kingsglaive.
Why? loving Ultross is in it. For like 10 minutes. He doesn't talk but he gets an amazing scene.
Plus it's just really pretty CGI if you're into that kind of thing. I really don't get why the movie gets so much hate, it's just inoffensive with amazing CGI.

You should play FF A King's Tale.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

ZenVulgarity posted:

I 100% agree. Considering how many folks never get summons and I get mine all the time, especially when I didn't want them. I've had so many bosses killed by the summons because I wasn't sure if it was supposed to happen or not so I just let them come in and get the killing blows. I get Leviathan way too many times yet haven't seen Titan once. Meanwhile other folks are getting Titan all the time and have never seen Leviathan. It's loving crazy broken code.
Keep in mind this is the same game where the 2nd chapter boss is 100% required to drop a weapon for you but doesn't actually always 100% drop that weapon for you because I (and a couple others on the internet, as far as I can tell) never got his weapon. Yeah, code's broken.

Seedge posted:

You should play FF A King's Tale.
I really don't want to spend money on that game. Keep in mind, I don't like things purely because my favorite FF6 character is in them. World of Final Fantasy is just one giant nostalgic circle jerk and I can't stand it. I don't enjoy things based on nostalgia alone, especially if that thing is any experience that lasts longer than 6 hours and only has 1% of its content based on the nostalgia I want to experience.
Or am I missing something about A King's Tale?

Attitude Indicator
Apr 3, 2009

Isn't Kings Tale just a bad mobile ff15 spin-off?

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

ZenVulgarity posted:

Um if you read the Bible equivalent you would know that those level 2 scorpions were into some sinful poo poo. Turn on subtitles.

Scorpion: Oh look it's Ramuh oh I'm a god I'm so cool /aborts a scorpion egg

Ramuh: Your time has come, Stephen. You will face my wrath.

Stephen: Bring it on

Ramuh: *smites the plains with great fervor*

Ignis: I've come up with a new recipeah

(Shrimp Cocktail)

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

It feels like it doesn't do that. It feels like magic is just magic 99% of the time. Then there is like one thing that gets super explained as just being "it wasn't magic after all" and that is what makes it feel weird. Like the game seems fine with just having gods and crystals and the game never explains it at all then there is a magical disease and the game goes out of it's way to make sure you know that one specific thing is grounded in real world science somehow.

Yeah, I was unclear in my response, sorry. I meant that it's difficult, and that it requires a lot of forethought to make a story work with it. It's really bad to blindside the audience with, because the incongruity is stark.

Also, yeah, I know Sanderson only did the last couple books in the series for Wheel of Time, but they're really, REALLY good, and his original stuff is top notch. I kinda wish I could get a Stormlight Archives game using the FF15 engine. :shobon:

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Starscourge doesn't bother me because it was Ifrit who blighted the world with it. That an empire spent tons of time and money researching that problem to a reasonable scientific explanation doesn't change that a celestial fire god-being threw it at life itself like a fist of dirt to the eyes. The magic far outweighs the science.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Zest posted:

Yeah, I was unclear in my response, sorry. I meant that it's difficult, and that it requires a lot of forethought to make a story work with it. It's really bad to blindside the audience with, because the incongruity is stark.

Also, yeah, I know Sanderson only did the last couple books in the series for Wheel of Time, but they're really, REALLY good, and his original stuff is top notch. I kinda wish I could get a Stormlight Archives game using the FF15 engine. :shobon:

I literally asked him in person about this at Dragoncon, turns out Kingdom of Amalur's failure has turned publishers off book based fantasy games for a long while.

DaveKap
Feb 5, 2006

Pickle: Inspected.

socialsecurity posted:

I literally asked him in person about this at Dragoncon, turns out Kingdom of Amalur's failure has turned publishers off book based fantasy games for a long while.
loving Curt Schilling ruined a genre. What an rear end in a top hat.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
I think one of the reasons those notes make mystic stuff sound like science fiction is because the Empire clearly has a different outlook on the world than Insomnia does. Any civilization that goes around attacking gods with their laser guns are going to sound like a bunch of Unbrella scientists when describing their daemon research.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Jeedy Jay posted:

I think one of the reasons those notes make mystic stuff sound like science fiction is because the Empire clearly has a different outlook on the world than Insomnia does. Any civilization that goes around attacking gods with their laser guns are going to sound like a bunch of Unbrella scientists when describing their daemon research.

they have a research facility with weird rear end door locking mechanisms and security procedures

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

exploded mummy posted:

they have a research facility with weird rear end door locking mechanisms and security procedures

That is literally Umbrella's MO.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

About trials: Are they all going to be as hectic as Titan? A good part of the entire battle was fighting the boss vs camera vs controls and running away. Not a fan of giant bosses since I can't see what's going on and it gives me a headache when planning my next move. I'm only lvl 18 if that matters so I could be really underleveled or not.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Alder posted:

About trials: Are they all going to be as hectic as Titan? A good part of the entire battle was fighting the boss vs camera vs controls and running away. Not a fan of giant bosses since I can't see what's going on and it gives me a headache when planning my next move. I'm only lvl 18 if that matters so I could be really underleveled or not.

the trials basically vary on how much of a dick the summon wants to be to you at a moment Titan's probably the only one you can really lose at though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Alder posted:

No, Titan might be the most unique fight in the game.

• Locked thread