Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

Ah, but if you were building the game the way you're claiming to, Chris, you wouldn't need to "create" day/night cycles at all - they'd be the natural consequence of your design. But of course, with your advanced understanding of physics, I'm sure you already knew that.

The AI team are working on day/night cycles.

The AI team.

On day/night cycles.

Are they designing an AI to decide when the sun will rise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Chalks posted:

The AI team.

On day/night cycles.

Simple. Depends on what procedural solar system they are in.

Which brings up a couple questions. Do the Vanduul and Xian have the same sleep cycle.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
SC Newsletter: http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=32d8ef31243db6075c45571bd&id=9ffdff0ef5&e=b634f4facc

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Chalks posted:

The AI team.

On day/night cycles.

Their AI team might finally answer the age-old question of whether or not intelligence can arise from nonintelligence.

The day/night cycle thing kills me. Not just the AI team working on it - its complete lack of a need to be designed in the first place. Whatever sun is there, whatever planet is going around that sun, and whatever spot you land on that planet and the planet's rotation right there is your loving day/night cycle. I mean, we're really landing on these completely real and simultaneously procedurally generated but also hand-crafted planets, right? It's not just an instance and a loading screen? The planet's really there? Then as you stand on its surface and it rotates the sun will rise and fall in relation to your spot.

poo poo, if they're doing in the way they claim, there will even be seasons and different lengths of day based on planetary tilt.

...unless, and I realize this is far fetched, but it's completely possible that, however unlikely, the planets are instanced areas, have always been, and will therefore need artificial day/night cycles to function in this totally non-instanced seamless game which nevertheless is filled with tricks and instancing.

Maybe. But lying, I don't know - doesn't seem like CIG to me.

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Scruffpuff posted:

Their AI team might finally answer the age-old question of whether or not intelligence can arise from nonintelligence.

The day/night cycle thing kills me. Not just the AI team working on it - its complete lack of a need to be designed in the first place. Whatever sun is there, whatever planet is going around that sun, and whatever spot you land on that planet and the planet's rotation right there is your loving day/night cycle. I mean, we're really landing on these completely real and simultaneously procedurally generated but also hand-crafted planets, right? It's not just an instance and a loading screen? The planet's really there? Then as you stand on its surface and it rotates the sun will rise and fall in relation to your spot.

poo poo, if they're doing in the way they claim, there will even be seasons and different lengths of day based on planetary tilt.

...unless, and I realize this is far fetched, but it's completely possible that, however unlikely, the planets are instanced areas, have always been, and will therefore need artificial day/night cycles to function in this totally non-instanced seamless game which nevertheless is filled with tricks and instancing.

Look nobody understands how day and night work so the only solution is to write an AI to work it out for us so we can use it in a game. Chris is a visionary, not an idiot!

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

lol you know all those high level meetings ive been mentioning for weeks? Well those are done. What was decided? Times not right yet to tell you (theres a sale coming up) gently caress you buy a ship. Please forget I said I'd give you a 3.0 timeline this month.

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

"...when the time is right."

Read "I'll come up with something the next time you spergs stop spending."

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

ManofManyAliases posted:

Difference is that I can take my character, leave the ship and walk right unto a space station immediately after landing. What happens in E:D? You just "transfer" to another ship?

You know, you can do that in Space Engineers.

Also, in Kerbal Space Program.

Also, in No Man's Sky.

Also, in Star Rangers.

Also, in Call of Duty.

I look forward to hearing your report on why none of these actual playable-right-now games with walking around outside your spaceship are as good as potentially-a-game-someday-maybe Star Citizen.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Apparently E:D 2.4 is also far enough into development that they showed a streamer touring their offices it and he was blown away.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Can't wait for the Dubai landing area. Jettison the Mixmaster 5000 before landing.

aleksendr
May 14, 2014

Chalks posted:

The AI team.

On day/night cycles.

Day /Night Cycles.

In a space game, where some place never see nights due to binary stars, some place have "nights" lasting 300 Sols and 90% time of your time will be spend in a ship.

On pseudo-military vessels running 3X8 shifts hotbunking wankpods

The Ai teams.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

Shouldn't day night cycles just be a side effect of the planets rotating in their Mega Map™?

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

aleksendr posted:

Day /Night Cycles.

In a space game, where some place never see nights due to binary stars, some place have "nights" lasting 300 Sols and 90% time of your time will be spend in a ship.

On pseudo-military vessels running 3X8 shifts hotbunking wankpods

The Ai teams.

Lack of day/night cycles is what's killing E:D imo.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Crobbles posted:

Star Citizen Newsletter - Engineering Intelligence
January 27th, 2017

Greetings Citizen.
This week the Star Citizen dev team made solid strides toward our goals for the 2.6.1 patch, as outlined last week in the revised production schedule report. Meanwhile, others devs that have been locked down to focus on specific tasks and features have continued making progress on elements of the game that will appear further down the road in 3.0 and Squadron 42.

One of those exciting future features was the main subject of this week’s episode of Around the Verse. The depth of the AI system illustrates the extraordinary detail Star Citizen is setting out to achieve. The extensive system being built by Tony Zurovec, Francesco Roccucci and the rest of the AI team will really make the universe come alive with the creation of day/night cycles, NPC crewmember behaviors, and much more.

After a series of high level meeting in LA started off the new year, I’m preparing to spend the next few weeks at our Foundry 42 offices in the UK and Germany. There I’ll get to oversee and review many of the exciting features we have in the works. I look forward to sharing these advancements with you when the time is right.

-- Chris Roberts

Dictated, but not read. 'series of high level meeting'

Edit: VVV No, in decartesian AI, you have to have an observer. I see day/night cycles therefore I am.

Hav fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Jan 27, 2017

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I always though night and day was the inevitable consequence of orbiting bodies...

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Here's a game that's actually playable in early access.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Esu9jov8QS4

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

Scruffpuff posted:

Lack of day/night cycles is what's killing E:D imo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7CBVqqRAwXs&t=141s

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

I won't lie the shill's anger and jealousy at the cool new elite feature is delightful

ripptide
Jul 28, 2016

Roflan posted:

I always though night and day was the inevitable consequence of orbiting bodies...

Foolish mortal.....

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Apparently E:D 2.4 is also far enough into development that they showed a streamer touring their offices it and he was blown away.

Which streamer?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Scruffpuff posted:

Ah, but if you were building the game the way you're claiming to, Chris, you wouldn't need to "create" day/night cycles at all - they'd be the natural consequence of your design. But of course, with your advanced understanding of physics, I'm sure you already knew that.

Also, why would the AI team be bothered by day/night cycles — they should be dealing with work shift cycles, which will not match day or night anywhere other than on a planet that won't be in the game.

No, I don't mind that the point has been made umpteen times. The whole idea is so fantastically stupid that it needs to be harped on a few times more.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Tippis posted:

The whole idea is so fantastically stupid that it needs to be harped on a few times more.

I like that...fantastically stupid.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

Get with the program, CIG. I received my actual newsletter from Frontier at 11:30 AM this morning. Where's my fake newsletter for your scam? I usually get it within an hour of my real newsletter. I'm dying to read about your lack of "progress" in this totally real game that you're absolutely making for real you guys.

http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=32d8ef31243db6075c45571bd&id=9ffdff0ef5&e=b634f4facc

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Can someone point me at the detailed blog post about how they achieved these day/night cycles?

Wait, what you do mean there isn't one because it's loving trivial to simulate rotating spheres?

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

Good god. There's another 20K of funding out the window.

Lladre
Jun 28, 2011

Soiled Meat
Let's face it. Chris will release a working version of SC before Derek releases a a blog about what the ELE actually is.

(The ELE will be the the working version of SC)

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Quavers posted:

Which streamer?

DJ Truthsayer, an E:D streamer. I dont know how legit this is but someone was posting it on other forums.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Scruffpuff posted:

They're lying. I 100% guarantee it. But also, in the interest of plausible deniability, they didn't say they'd done it, or were doing it; but only that's how they want to do it.

Seriously, the netcode sux balls. The game's performance is horrid. But they're going to do planetary rotations which relies on both client and network performance. Yeah, OK.

HINT: You don't need AI to do day/night cycles or planetary rotations. LoD has both day and night cycles - zero AI or planetary rotations required - fully dynamic (dawn to dusk)

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Jan 27, 2017

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Cao Ni Ma posted:

DJ Truthsayer, an E:D streamer. I dont know how legit this is but someone was posting it on other forums.

Well with a name like that I believe him

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Colostomy Bag posted:

Good god. There's another 20K of funding out the window.

Don't sweat it. Here is a product that is actually out now and (sorta) works but is still better and more interesting than anything Crobberts can come up with for $140M.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pD8nzgZa0gU

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

D_Smart posted:

They're lying. I 100% guarantee it. But also, in the interest of plausible deniability, they didn't say they'd done it, or were doing it; but only that's how they want to do it.

Seriously, the netcode sux balls. The game's performance is horrid. But they're going to do planetary rotations which relies on both client and network performance. Yeah, OK.

HINT: You don't need AI to do day/night cycles or planetary rotations. LoD has both day and night cycles - zero AI or planetary rotations required - fully dynamic (dawn to dusk)

You totally need to post that poo poo on Twitter. I have been throwing rocks at those assholes all day on r/DS and they are fire loving hot right now.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

Ayn Marx posted:

I won't lie the shill's anger and jealousy at the cool new elite feature is delightful

Oh you have no idea. Here, take a look

https://www.reddit.com/r/DerekSmart/comments/5qid8x/derek_smartand_elitedangerous_now_has_multicrew/

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Chalks posted:

Well with a name like that I believe him

Trust me He seems legit

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Jan 27, 2017

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
So Agent, Smart, and Eightace, what fallout am I supposed to be enjoying here?

Although crobbers saying "neener neener I know something you dont know. gently caress you" to a 3.0 schedule this month (like he said he would) is pretty funny.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Nothing like having a game already out make my point for me, effortlessly.

Ah, who am I kidding - Braben clearly had AI developers on staff.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
My favorite part of the AI AtV is the handwaving they do when they say the content will be both hand-crafted and not bland, but also nearly endless and impossible to exhaust.

Weird that nobody else has ever tried that, despite it being the holy grail of game development.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
7 days pass, only 2-3 days of 'progress' pass in CIG land

https://onedrive.live.com/view.aspx?resid=9CBA26B9B59370EB!257&ithint=file%2cxlsx&app=Excel&authkey=!AO1KR87af-huSJ8

Chunjee
Oct 27, 2004

https://twitter.com/RobertsSpaceInd/status/825091224080101376

Someone post the especially awesome render contained therein.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

D_Smart posted:

The fact they are trying to sync the port parpitar ring and to this day it still goes wonky, crobbly, and flying across the screen at any random moment. Gives me great hope they will be able to simulate day/night without it being pitch black at 2pm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice
Reading the latest newsletter

quote:

This week the Star Citizen dev team made solid strides toward our goals for the 2.6.1 patch, as outlined last week in the revised production schedule report. Meanwhile, others devs that have been locked down to focus on specific tasks and features have continued making progress on elements of the game that will appear further down the road in 3.0 and Squadron 42.

I can't help but remember that time when I said that 3.0 simply DID NOT exist when croberts was promoting it to gullible Spergs.

November 2, 2016
http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/sc-scoop/#post-4757

quote:

When it comes to the 3.0 patch, backers may as well just reconcile the fact that they were lied to – again. It’s not even a case of a missed schedule. He basically came up with a list of features (none of which, according to sources, exists or in a form that would have lent any credibility to his “end of year” promise) he knew backers would fall for, then put it out there as “coming soon”; thus – like the demos at GamesCom and CitizenCon – raising money from the few whales who are still dumb enough to keep giving him money.
Rumors and source leaks aside, the writing is on the wall. They are either going to move 2.6 into 2017 – as indeed they should if it’s not ready for test release – or they will try to push some interim 2.5.x minor branch out in order to quash some of the dissent. But the fact remains, waiting until the last minute, or at a time when the bad news won’t affect the anniversary stream, is just another dishonest plan, and one which has become a staple for them.
3.0 status: sources say all are still laughing at this one. It simple does NOT exist as was communicated to backers. It was basically a wishlist of items they wanted to see in a point release; and which Roberts when on the record (again) as saying was coming by “year end, and not on Dec 19th like last year“.

September 22, 2016
http://dereksmart.com/forums/topic/sc-scoop/#post-4493

quote:

While it does not absolve them of the liability of breaking an NDA, it’s easy to see why it makes sense to the people doing it. Especially in light of the fact that this latest leak has clearly shown that not only is the 2.6 patch most likely not coming in Oct; but that given that the test pattern has a lengthy period from “limited Evocati –> wide testing –> live“, it means that it probably won’t be out until sometime in the Nov/Dec time frame. And that, my friends, all but guarantees that the much touted 3.0 (aka the Jesus Patch) which Chris was heavily promoting at GamesCom as coming by end of the year, is not being released this year. At all. Yeah, I know – shocking. Note that there isn’t even a 2.7 patch. It was once talked about, then came GamesCom and Chris saying that after 2.5 (current), there will be 2.6, and then it’s onto 3.0 – the Jesus Patch which fixes everything, and includes all of the latest promises.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Jan 27, 2017