Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

BOOTY-ADE posted:

He was already legally able to drink before she was even born. Let that sink in for a bit.

the joke is that he made up a formula to say it's okay - eg, "no you see she's older than 1/3 of my age + 4"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Moridin920 posted:

My [22 M] girlfriend [23 F] of 2 years refuses to party as a couple, and only goes out alone or with friends.
This one I could almost understand, I've had some friend's who had boyfriends that were good people but just weren't really social butterflies, anytime the girls would bring em to a party the bf would just follow them around the whole time like a lost puppy and never really engage with anyone or anything outside of them as a unit. If it weren't for the fact he explicitly mentions they've literally never done anything like that together cause he's never invited I would have assumed that she was just tired of that kinda behavior.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

BOOTY-ADE posted:

He was already legally able to drink before she was even born. Let that sink in for a bit.

There's no she in that story, it's about a gay couple.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I thought the acceptable age was half your age plus 7

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

54 40 or gently caress posted:

I thought the acceptable age was half your age plus 7
:thejoke:

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

I [19 M] asked my coworker out for coffee, causing issues with other coworkers [19Fs]

Update 1

Update 2

I'm too sexy for retail, too sexy for retail, that girl's gonna stalk me!

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

the joke is that he made up a formula to say it's okay - eg, "no you see she's older than 1/3 of my age + 4"

That rule is something that's been mentioned before, though it's usually half age plus seven, not plus one. But yeah, I agree that if you have to convert your age from Fahrenheit to Celsius to justify to yourself or your parole officer that it's okay, you probably shouldn't.

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

I'm too sick for reading comprehension the past couple days it would seem

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Clark Nova posted:

That rule is something that's been mentioned before, though it's usually half age plus seven, not plus one. But yeah, I agree that if you have to convert your age from Fahrenheit to Celsius to justify to yourself or your parole officer that it's okay, you probably shouldn't.

Right....they made it 1 as a joke to clown on the poster of the relationships post.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Clark Nova posted:

Good rule of thumb: if you find yourself doing the math at all they're too young, man, walk away.

WAY TO GO WAMPA!!
Oct 27, 2007

:slick: :slick: :slick: :slick:
My [22M] girlfriend's [18M] dislike for Calvino makes me question whether I still love her

quote:

Because she usually doesn't read that much I figured I could lead her on the right path. Now she isn't dumb, maybe not book smart but certainly street smart and I thought she might appreciate some good literature. So I gave her a couple of my personal favorites to read, including Calvino's complete Cosmicomics and "If on a winter's night a traveler". She actually read both of them but when I asked her what she thought of them she told me that she thought that If ... was too self-referential and she was annoyed by the multiple plots and Cosmicomics was unrealistic because, and I quote, "there is no way that Qfwfq is actually that old".

Now I was quite shocked by this, my favorite author simply being dismissed by my girlfriend.

I'm now wondering whether I should still bother with this relationship at all or just keep her around till I found a girl that can appreciate Calvino better.

tl;dr: Girlfriend saying that she didn't like any of Calvino's works she's has read makes me question whether I still love her.
should crosspost to the Quit Being a loving Child TBB thread

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
open relationship w/ Calvino

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7dsVYswSfow

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

[Goon project] Let's make up our own formulas for dating ranges

If the magnitude of the natural log of the ratio of your ages is less than .25, you're fine.

edit: I was joking but this works pretty well - it's equivalent to the ratio being < 1.284

Jeffrey of YOSPOS fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Jan 27, 2017

Sisal Two-Step
May 29, 2006

mom without jaw
dad without wife

i'm taking all the Ls now, sorry

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

My [22M] girlfriend's [18M] dislike for Calvino makes me question whether I still love her

this is another how i met your mother episode

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
[Update] An rear end in a top hat coworker [m?] sentmy [36 F] husband [39M] an inflammatory text at a work even

u/Workpartythrowaway777d

Original post: /r/relationships/comments/5oudfe/an_asshole_coworker_m_sent_my_36f_husband_39m_an/

I spoke to my boss first thing weds morning and told him what happened. While he was not at the bar he knew about the event. Later in the morning he spoke to rear end in a top hat coworker and didn't hear anything else during the workday.

I also told a friend at work what happened. She was there and can vouch for me being at the bar. Without me asking she decided get rear end in a top hat coworker on a conference line and called my husband and had rear end in a top hat apologize for what he did. I don't know exactly what was said and had no idea this call had been made until I got home later in the evening.

My husband gave me a big hug when I arrived and told me about the call. He said that throughout the day he had already come to the conclusion that it was a poo poo prank by a drunk rear end in a top hat. As someone touched on in the comments, the idea that someone I was cheating with would send that text was so absurd that it must have been a prank. He said the call was helpful, but warned me he laid into rear end in a top hat pretty good telling him what turmoil he caused and straight up told the guy to "stay as far away from his wife as professionally possible" or he would make sure his career is impacted.

We talked for hours and he reinforced some expectations going forward. Simple stuff like giving him a heads up if I'm late (he will do the same), pass protecting my phone and generally keeping on guard around people in general.

I think we're about 95% back to normal. This week was kind of a shock and I think we're both a little fatigued from all the drama and plan to spend the entire weekend together.

I'm at work and there's no conflict. He's here but no direct apology yet. But the day is young an honestly I don't care to have any contact with this guy in the future.

Sorry I didn't respond more to the original thread but it kind of turned into a poo poo show of picking apart my "alibi". It agree did look odd that I didn't realize the time or didn't look at my phone for 3 hours as some claimed. I did have an idea about the time. I did look at my phone during the evening. But didn't think to check in because during that time I felt like I was always "on my way out". I dropped my phone in the table at some point before the text and moved to another table to chat up a few coworkers and say goodbye. I got distracted and didn't get to my phone until after the text had been sent. At 8pm I know I should have checked in but it skipped my mind.

Thanks for those who voiced their opinions about not having a cellphone strapped to your body every minute of the day. I am pretty notorious for putting it in my purse and missing half the calls I receive.

Also, I think the next time we meet for drinks after work Inam going to invite my husband. He is very social and talkative and woukd get along with everyone for sure.

Tl;dr: I think it's all good. Husband has been assured nothing happens and the coworker probably got it into his head what a poo poo thing he did.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

WAY TO GO WAMPA!! posted:

Only date someone if they are three quarters of you age plus seventeen. Add a year to their age for every serious book™ on their bookshelf (whether they've read it or not). Subtract a year for each cat they own and three years for every anime DVD.

A Wizard of Goatse
Dec 14, 2014

if the grass on the field is of FIFA regulation length, play ball

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed
I'm not mathematically inclined. The way I sought out my life partner was by doing an intense astrological sign equation. So I started by charging my crystals...

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Clark Nova posted:

Only date someone if they are three quarters of you age plus seventeen. Add a year to their age for every serious book™ on their bookshelf (whether they've read it or not). Subtract a year for each cat they own and three years for every anime DVD.

I have far too many serious books™. Only retirees can date me.

No wonder I'm single.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

I only date women who, completely unprompted, bring up the something awful forums on the first date. (PS please come back wherever you are)

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Andrast posted:

I have far too many serious books™. Only retirees can date me.

No wonder I'm single.

Hoard cats and buy anime paraphernalia to become more fuckable.

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Ride The Gravitron posted:

[Update] An rear end in a top hat coworker [m?] sentmy [36 F] husband [39M] an inflammatory text at a work even

u/Workpartythrowaway777d

Original post: /r/relationships/comments/5oudfe/an_asshole_coworker_m_sent_my_36f_husband_39m_an/

I spoke to my boss first thing weds morning and told him what happened. While he was not at the bar he knew about the event. Later in the morning he spoke to rear end in a top hat coworker and didn't hear anything else during the workday.

I also told a friend at work what happened. She was there and can vouch for me being at the bar. Without me asking she decided get rear end in a top hat coworker on a conference line and called my husband and had rear end in a top hat apologize for what he did. I don't know exactly what was said and had no idea this call had been made until I got home later in the evening.

My husband gave me a big hug when I arrived and told me about the call. He said that throughout the day he had already come to the conclusion that it was a poo poo prank by a drunk rear end in a top hat. As someone touched on in the comments, the idea that someone I was cheating with would send that text was so absurd that it must have been a prank. He said the call was helpful, but warned me he laid into rear end in a top hat pretty good telling him what turmoil he caused and straight up told the guy to "stay as far away from his wife as professionally possible" or he would make sure his career is impacted.

We talked for hours and he reinforced some expectations going forward. Simple stuff like giving him a heads up if I'm late (he will do the same), pass protecting my phone and generally keeping on guard around people in general.

I think we're about 95% back to normal. This week was kind of a shock and I think we're both a little fatigued from all the drama and plan to spend the entire weekend together.

I'm at work and there's no conflict. He's here but no direct apology yet. But the day is young an honestly I don't care to have any contact with this guy in the future.

Sorry I didn't respond more to the original thread but it kind of turned into a poo poo show of picking apart my "alibi". It agree did look odd that I didn't realize the time or didn't look at my phone for 3 hours as some claimed. I did have an idea about the time. I did look at my phone during the evening. But didn't think to check in because during that time I felt like I was always "on my way out". I dropped my phone in the table at some point before the text and moved to another table to chat up a few coworkers and say goodbye. I got distracted and didn't get to my phone until after the text had been sent. At 8pm I know I should have checked in but it skipped my mind.

Thanks for those who voiced their opinions about not having a cellphone strapped to your body every minute of the day. I am pretty notorious for putting it in my purse and missing half the calls I receive.

Also, I think the next time we meet for drinks after work Inam going to invite my husband. He is very social and talkative and woukd get along with everyone for sure.

Tl;dr: I think it's all good. Husband has been assured nothing happens and the coworker probably got it into his head what a poo poo thing he did.

She dumped her boyfriend via her boss. Stone cold.

Nah I guess I believe her story now, if she was willing to take it to her boss and her coworker isn't using the obvious defense of 'but we DID gently caress'.

It's still a completely unbelievable story lady don't get mad because what happened to you is insanely unlikely.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Yeah, but the next time she's even a bit late with no contact the husband's cheat alarm is gonna be going off like crazy

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Dunning Krugerrand posted:

I [19 M] asked my coworker out for coffee, causing issues with other coworkers [19Fs]

Update 1

Update 2

stdhaaptpoaa.txt

(poo poo that didn't happen and also probably the premise of an anime.txt)

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Dreams of the Everyday Target Employee.mp3

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Me [23M] with baby [2F] feel like girlfriend [21F] isn't pulling her weight with our baby.

quote:

Throwaway, since I don't actually use Reddit. Friend suggested I try here.

So a little background, my girlfriend already has one child who was taken by CPS due to age and her drug addiction. She got clean while pregnant with our daughter, apart from weed and cigarettes.

We currently live with my parents and my younger sister, 19F. We're on the list for public housing and plan on moving out as soon as we can.

Since giving birth, my girlfriend has worked and I've taken care of the baby. She works 5 days a week for four hours, so we're both home a lot. (I'm looking for a job, but not many places around us are hiring and we don't drive, so it's a little difficult)

My sister helps out a lot with the baby, watches her when we smoke (I just smoke cigarettes) and helps out a lot around the house, since she can't work due to illness.

But recently I've noticed a theme. Whenever I'm out looking for work and I come home, my sister is watching the baby. When I ask, she says that my girlfriend didn't want to watch her alone, and the second she comes to sit with her, my girlfriend disappears outside to smoke (or into the garage to smoke weed) and doesn't come back inside until I'm home to take the baby again.

We had an incident, when our daughter was about a year old, where she started calling my sister 'Mama', which was difficult to stop, since the second she was left with her Mom, my sister would be taking care of her.

I've brought this up with her before and she claims that my sister volunteers to come up. But when I ask my sister, she says that my girlfriend hounds and bothers her and says she'll take the baby outside while smoking (something I refuse to do, because it's really bad for the baby!) so my sister feels guilty and ends up coming to help out.

I know my sister is getting annoyed that she's basically being a mother to her niece, given she's in charge of the housework, so things like the cleaning and dishes end up behind because she's so busy with the baby. Which in turn makes our parents annoyed that things are getting behind. (They both work full time, our dad working away from home from sunday through friday)

So basically, how do I deal with this? Should I confront my girlfriend about not parenting? Should I tell my sister just not to come up and help out? The only time I go out is when I'm traipsing around town looking for work, so it's not like I'm off partying all the time and leaving her with the baby all the time. In fact, I'm the main caregiver, but when I'm out, I like to think that the baby's Mother is the one looking after her.

TL;DR Had a baby, baby's mom doesn't seem to be pulling her weight and my sister is doing most of the baby care when I'm not around. What do I do?

Whichever friend sent this guy to Reddit knew what he was doing, the comments are brutal.

Tolkien minority
Feb 14, 2012

this post isnt really too funny or interesting but i burst out laughing at the last line for the sheer gooniness
I [18M] am not sure how my family will react to me coming out

quote:

My family has always been kind of conservative, they did things the old way and everything seemed to work out for them. Even as they saw how things began to change around them they kind of continued to stay in their bubble and not let any of it influence their thoughts or feelings, thinking that it would never concern anyone of our family.

And I was thinking the same way until I met a nice young guy at a school party whom I seemed to get along with great. We seemed to have some kind of mutual understanding for each other and also shared the same interests so when he invited me home to him I thought why not, maybe I could give it a try, and that I would try not to fall from the path my family had tried to set me on.

But when I arrived at his place and no one was home it became clear that we would have a lot of fun and he had also already prepared everything necessary for the whole afternoon. So we were going for it for hours, first he kind of showed me slowly what I had to do and how to do it, he would teach me certain techniques and how to best apply them and how to use my fingers in the most effective way.
That day changed me completely, I never wanted to go back to how it had been. My family didn't understand, they saw I had changed but were not sure how, certainly my behavior might have been a bit different but I tried to hide it as well as I could.

But since then my interest has only increased, I've visited other guys, often from other cities who I had met through internet services and who showed me there was even more to it than I previously thought.
Now this is all becoming too much of a burden, I don't want to hide it from my parents anymore. So long story short, and my question: "How can I explain to my Streetfighter family that I got into the Melee scene without them flipping out?"

tl;dr: Want to come out to my family, but am not sure how they will react and want to minimize damage

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiny Deer posted:

Me [23M] with baby [2F] feel like girlfriend [21F] isn't pulling her weight with our baby.

Whichever friend sent this guy to Reddit knew what he was doing, the comments are brutal.

:murder:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

Tiny Deer posted:

Wanna slap that idiot around a bit, she's certainly on the road to having this kid taken away as well. Wait, I want to slap him too as he sounds like a loser as well, doesn't work, doesn't clean. They're funneling what little income they have into weed and smokes apparently. God I wish your reproductive organs didn't work until some biological barometer decided it was a Good Time

Tolkien minority posted:

this post isnt really too funny or interesting but i burst out laughing at the last line for the sheer gooniness

Beautiful. He should just say it like that.

54 40 or fuck fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Jan 27, 2017

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

Tolkien minority posted:

:pusheen:

54 40 or gently caress posted:

Wanna slap that idiot around a bit, she's certainly on the road to having this kid taken away as well.

remember like 200 pages ago when we had a huge derail about how some people shouldn't have kids?

this lady is "some people"

her boyfriend is at least trying but he apparently works a minimum wage job with no training or education. This couple is an extremely convincing argument for abortion.

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Jan 27, 2017

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Tiny Deer posted:

seriously, posts like this make people Republicans

NurhacisUrn
Jul 18, 2013

All I can think about is your wife and a horse.
We are working on some SERIOUS SHIT in here.

Pick posted:

:laffo: at the idea you have to be a Republican to think reproduction isn't a goddamn right.

Parsley
Jul 17, 2012

quote:

She got clean while pregnant with our daughter, apart from weed and cigarettes.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost

If you're doing close to anything besides those two drugs, yeah, paring down to weed and smokes is pretty clean livin'

Seriously though why do they even have a kid together :negative:

54 40 or fuck
Jan 4, 2012

No Yanda's allowed

But don't take her outside to smoke-- it's bad for her!!!

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
bitch isn't doing her share *has no job, smokes weed all day*

Tiny Deer
Jan 16, 2012

Pick posted:

I admit I instantly became judgmental because Jesus Christ stop having kids you don't want and can't take care of.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

Okay, please no one cheat and look on reddit, guess what the interests are(there are a bunch):
I [17M] simply refuse to date until I can find a lady who shares common interests with me. Is this unreasonable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Adam Vegas
Apr 14, 2013

Pick posted:

bitch isn't doing her share *has no job, smokes weed all day*

He is out searching for a job, and only smokes cigarettes. Bad enough around the kid, but the mother is definitely the worse of the two in this story. She's neglecting the gently caress outta that baby.