Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Michael Bay posted:

The Obama thing came about because I was walking in a Vegas airport, and he was walking by himself, carrying his bag and his hanging bag over his shoulder. This was after I'd just seen him in the beginning of his campaign, and we were walking side by side. I said, "Hey, I saw you the other night, and I liked what you had to say. I really like hearing your stuff." I introduced myself, and he said, "What do you do?" "I'm a director." He said, "What movies?" I said, "Oh, these movies..." He said, "Oh, you're a big-rear end director. I've seen a bunch of your movies." So that's why I decided to put him in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Tars Tarkas posted:

Dubya in Transformers was on Air Force One and liked ding dongs.

Yeah, he was on his bed without shoes and asked for ding dongs (Ding dongs, man. Ding dongs, yo!). That was the sum total of what Bush did in Transformers.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

The MSJ posted:

Yeah, he was on his bed without shoes and asked for ding dongs (Ding dongs, man. Ding dongs, yo!). That was the sum total of what Bush did in Transformers.

It was also a very accurate summation of his presidency. (I'm pretty sure some of the extras even make some snide comments about him, but I can't remember correctly, I might just be wishing.)

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

K. Waste posted:

It was also a very accurate summation of his presidency. (I'm pretty sure some of the extras even make some snide comments about him, but I can't remember correctly, I might just be wishing.)

Yes, the waitress made some elitist ding dong is low class joke.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost

Madkal posted:

I seemed to remember reading somewhere that the Transformers made during the Bush years have a president who is very proactive and a bit of an action hero, while the transformer movies made during Obama's time as president feature a president who is cowardly and stupid. I don't know how true this is because I stopped watching the Transformer movies ages ago.

In short: no. Bush shows up in the first Transformers movies as a goofy joke and Obama shows up in the third Transformers movie as literally "blurry guy in background of Oval Office shaking hands with someone" which, I guess by the standards of the Transformers movies, is presidential?

The true heros of the Transformers movies were always the military, who seem to be operating outside of any command structure as far as I can tell.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
When you're the good guys you know intrinsically what to do in any given situation and who/what to shoot.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
The Transformers movies don't have any good guys.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Skwirl posted:

Bumblebee-as-Christ-analogue?

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

MariusLecter posted:

When you're the good guys you know intrinsically what to do in any given situation and who/what to shoot.

Or you just have to think you're good in order to also think you always know who/what to shoot.

Kharn_The_Betrayer fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Jan 27, 2017

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Skwirl posted:

The good guys are whoever don't lose the gun fight. :911:

That's how it works right? If two people have guns only the one who dies was "bad"

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

Or you just have to think you're good in order to also think you always know who/what to shoot.

checks out

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
I'M GIVING YOU FREEDOM!!!

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNx6eBn5TJg

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Skwirl posted:

In that they are all guys in bad movies

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

quote:

Netflix has reportedly won a bidding war for Kevin Burrows and Matt Mider’s spec script “The Eggplant Emoji”.

The pair, who also created the digital animated series “Gentlemen Lobsters,” penned the R-rated dark comedy of a teenager accidentally cuts off his penis during a camping trip. He and his friends rush to save the appendage before it’s too late, and male bonding ensues.

Netflix reportedly beat out five other companies to land the project. Ben Stiller, Nicky Weinstock, Blake Anderson, Adam Devine, Anders Holm and Kyle Newacheck are on board to produce.

Uh ... what?

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Timby posted:

Uh ... what?

Netflix seems to have about 0 quality control for their original series/films, give how bad so many of them are.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
I really, really wish they'd take all the money they're sinking into OC and spent it on acquiring a decent, stable streaming catalogue of movies and TV shows. The US Netflix selection is total garbage with a few good movies that you and everyone else has seen a half dozen times already

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Timby posted:

Uh ... what?

Sounds like it should be an episode of Workaholics but they're only producing this thing?

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

AngryBooch posted:

Sounds like it should be an episode of Workaholics but they're only producing this thing?

That's how it works with all of Netflix's original content -- they finance it, but they don't have the production apparatus of an actual studio.

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Timby posted:

That's how it works with all of Netflix's original content -- they finance it, but they don't have the production apparatus of an actual studio.

I meant the Workaholics guys are producing this script that sounds like an episode of Workaholics.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Improbable Lobster posted:

Netflix seems to have about 0 quality control for their original series/films, give how bad so many of them are.

It's less about quality control than trying to produce content for as many different demographics as possible. I don't give a poo poo about Fuller House, but the people who were excited about it probably had little interest in say, Master of None.

Though a good chunk of their original poo poo is pretty loving atrocious.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

edit: nm

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Skwirl posted:

It's less about quality control than trying to produce content for as many different demographics as possible. I don't give a poo poo about Fuller House, but the people who were excited about it probably had little interest in say, Master of None.

Though a good chunk of their original poo poo is pretty loving atrocious.

This makes a lot of sense, and tbh I think it's good they're trying even if they gently caress up a lot. There's a lot of demographics that don't get enough tailored media.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Ammanas posted:

I really, really wish they'd take all the money they're sinking into OC and spent it on acquiring a decent, stable streaming catalogue of movies and TV shows. The US Netflix selection is total garbage with a few good movies that you and everyone else has seen a half dozen times already

If other companies weren't intent on freezing them out or outbidding them for all that content they might have stuck with that but they've clearly decided it's not a reliable, long-term business model to keep vying for the same content everyone else is when they can instead produce exclusive content they can own forever.

Femur
Jan 10, 2004
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP
was kinda thinking of my favorite Bay movie, is the Rock a conservative movie?

On the one hand, the villain has a pretty noble goal, but it is only noble if you consider just following orders noble in and of itself; and the mercenaries slaughtered the Seal team so fast, and some nerd became an action hero, what end of the spectrum is that?

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

Yeah, Netflix unfortunately can't get the rights to poo poo and it isn't for lack of trying. Hollywood and cable despise how disruptive streaming has been to home movie sales and television ratings and they're fighting tooth and nail to keep the distribution chain under their control.

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Netflix is printing money so it won't be long.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Uh this sucks

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

fat bossy gerbil posted:

Yeah, Netflix unfortunately can't get the rights to poo poo and it isn't for lack of trying. Hollywood and cable despise how disruptive streaming has been to home movie sales and television ratings and they're fighting tooth and nail to keep the distribution chain under their control.

It's not just them. The UFC's streaming service is blacked out on a lot of events in Australia thanks to deals with local cable services. Including a card that happened in Australia.

It's kind of an apt metaphor for the present political landscape.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Shageletic posted:

Uh this sucks

Cardboard Box A linking an unfunny YouTube video with no context? The devil you say!

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

kiimo posted:

Netflix is printing money so it won't be long.

What it means in the short term, though, is that everyone and their brother wants their own streaming service with exclusive rights. So here in Canada, for example, you end up with cable-company owned poo poo like Crave and Shomi buying up the exclusive streaming rights to stuff so Netflix can't. So, if you want to be able to watch all the stuff you want, you either need to sign up for, like, five streaming services or wait for all the others to go under so Netflix can finally just buy up the rights to everything. Because everyone knows that's how it's gonna go down in the end, the cable companies just can't help being lovely about it in the meantime.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Phylodox posted:

What it means in the short term, though, is that everyone and their brother wants their own streaming service with exclusive rights. So here in Canada, for example, you end up with cable-company owned poo poo like Crave and Shomi buying up the exclusive streaming rights to stuff so Netflix can't. So, if you want to be able to watch all the stuff you want, you either need to sign up for, like, five streaming services or wait for all the others to go under so Netflix can finally just buy up the rights to everything. Because everyone knows that's how it's gonna go down in the end, the cable companies just can't help being lovely about it in the meantime.

Canadian Netflix also sucks real bad

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Phylodox posted:

What it means in the short term, though, is that everyone and their brother wants their own streaming service with exclusive rights. So here in Canada, for example, you end up with cable-company owned poo poo like Crave and Shomi buying up the exclusive streaming rights to stuff so Netflix can't.

They tried to copy what Netflix was and now you're seeing them try to copy what Netflix has become. Amazon got into creating exclusive content for itself and not content with being a rental service, Apple/iTunes is producing its own content now as well. The landscape for "television" (whatever that will mean in a decade) is really changing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Well, I think the landscape is going to change the more people (here in Canada, at least) realize how much stuff is streamable for free and, as far as I know, technically not illegally.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Lobok posted:

They tried to copy what Netflix was and now you're seeing them try to copy what Netflix has become. Amazon got into creating exclusive content for itself and not content with being a rental service, Apple/iTunes is producing its own content now as well. The landscape for "television" (whatever that will mean in a decade) is really changing.

I don't think the change will really take until every streaming service's original content is embarrassingly bad 99% of the time.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Skwirl posted:

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

apt, both movie megatron and lincoln fought a civil war to ensure the continued survival of their people

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That's so nice that he makes sure the Lincoln Memorial is undamaged. No wonder he became an Autobot later on. And then he fights a Decepticon sadist who used to be an Autobot and whose face is literally the Decepticon symbol so Megatron literally performed the Give Me Your Face Manuever on him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012
Buglord
The Decepticon symbol is Soundwave's face.

• Locked thread