Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k
I was randomly reminded of a video by DGGK that spoofed some another company's very anime entry to the FC recruitment video contest. Do you guys remember something like that or am I imagining things? I know I have a Mandragora choker for no reason in my armoire and I think that was rewarded to all FC members who made the winning video. Can't find it on Youtube though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Are there any good guides for "what to do when you get level 60 in DoH/DoL"?

I got my classes to max in 3.0 and got myself the basic gear (the ilvl 150 serpentskin stuff) all crafted and melded back then. Haven't don't anything to better myself since then.

Theres a shitload of :spergin: about how to minmax as a crafter and gatherer, the problem is filtering actual poo poo worth knowing from minutiae that doesnt matter to 99% of people.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

chinese barbecue porp posted:

I was randomly reminded of a video by DGGK that spoofed some another company's very anime entry to the FC recruitment video contest. Do you guys remember something like that or am I imagining things? I know I have a Mandragora choker for no reason in my armoire and I think that was rewarded to all FC members who made the winning video. Can't find it on Youtube though.

We recorded our FC video inside the anime FC's house. I can't remember where the video is though.

jyrque
Sep 4, 2011

Gravy Boat 2k

Fister Roboto posted:

We recorded our FC video inside the anime FC's house. I can't remember where the video is though.

Oh yeah! PBC and DGGK won double entry! And they are both hilarious.

http://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/243541

And the videos:

PBC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U9BP7Alh9T

DGKK:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ule-uNxUTTg

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Sadly the anime FC broke up over a year ago I think. RIP in peace, Smokin' Aces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3UoO1RW5U&t=2s

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
If you got 35 Sands in two days just dicking around, you and I use different scales. I do my roulettes and turn in all I can get and go nuts on the market board (the primal stuff is so weirdly priced). I used all of my allowances too once I forgave the leve luck (I used 20 on the single leve and got gently caress all so I switched to the big ones and that worked out). Still got more Umbrite than Sands. Part of that was definitely the heads up while I waited on oils. The only stuff I don't take advantage of is the crafting stuff and the Farthings cause that conversion looks really stupid.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

Fister Roboto posted:

Sadly the anime FC broke up over a year ago I think. RIP in peace, Smokin' Aces.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VV3UoO1RW5U&t=2s

The end sells it.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
You guys must suck at getting Vilemin. I'd get about 25-35 per 100 leves of "Dance Magic Dance"

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer

I love our stupid cult video

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
still sad "too many cats" never got made

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SonicRulez posted:

If you got 35 Sands in two days just dicking around, you and I use different scales. I do my roulettes and turn in all I can get and go nuts on the market board (the primal stuff is so weirdly priced). I used all of my allowances too once I forgave the leve luck (I used 20 on the single leve and got gently caress all so I switched to the big ones and that worked out). Still got more Umbrite than Sands. Part of that was definitely the heads up while I waited on oils. The only stuff I don't take advantage of is the crafting stuff and the Farthings cause that conversion looks really stupid.

Doing ex primals for WT with goons got me a handful because we had some bonuses. I got a dozen or so from leves, I got 4 from GC seals with just gear I had laying around to turn in, and I got some from blue scrip tokens from all the gathering and crafting scrips my squad brings in. In just a few days I took my relic from being capped crit/det and made it crit/acc/ss.

None of this was while doing any grinding or anything towards the goal. The longest time was just waiting on some leves to stack back up so i could repeat Dance magic Dance in the hinterlands.

I've cleared two relics through the umbrite step and restatted half of a relic. Sands are not the problem.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
Crystal sand has never, ever been a problem for me. In general, by the time I get enough lore for a couple umbrite, I also have enough GC seals for moonstones, or poetics for those things. Worse comes to worst I can just blow 100 leves and get 10-25 vilekin.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
the Smokin' Aces video is seriously one of my favorite things to come out of ffxiv, completely earnestly.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Doing ex primals for WT with goons got me a handful because we had some bonuses. I got a dozen or so from leves, I got 4 from GC seals with just gear I had laying around to turn in, and I got some from blue scrip tokens from all the gathering and crafting scrips my squad brings in. In just a few days I took my relic from being capped crit/det and made it crit/acc/ss.

None of this was while doing any grinding or anything towards the goal. The longest time was just waiting on some leves to stack back up so i could repeat Dance magic Dance in the hinterlands.

I've cleared two relics through the umbrite step and restatted half of a relic. Sands are not the problem.

I see what you're talking about not having to grind, what with doing multiple extreme primals and having a leveled up squadron and willfully doing the very worth it HW leves.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Leal posted:

I see what you're talking about not having to grind, what with doing multiple extreme primals and having a leveled up squadron and willfully doing the very worth it HW leves.
It takes all of 15 minutes to do a WT EX world tour, squadrons level themselves up, and you don't actually have to do the leves to get their vilekin. What the heck are you on about

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
When I was just doing roulettes, I'd get about 3 Umbrite per 2 Sand, just from the equipment drops in exchange for GC Seals / Moonstones. I can only imagine it's better now, since I don't see anyone ever roll on dungeon gear.

When I got near max Umbrites needed I went for the Vilekin method to finish Sand. I was getting a chest about 30% of the time from Dance Magic Dance.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

homeless snail posted:

It takes all of 15 minutes to do a WT EX world tour, squadrons level themselves up, and you don't actually have to do the leves to get their vilekin. What the heck are you on about

You're right, initiating a leve, flying around, abandoning, retrying, and restarting the leve isn't a dull monotonous grind.

Hmm yes... this squadron of mine that I have to come in every day 3 times a day every hour and tell them to level up really is leveling themselves up. Also I need to grind challenge logs and hope rng gives me people who can bring back blue scrips.

E: Oh and that takes away using seals for moonstones since I need to burn seals on these guys and hope rng gives me what I want.

Leal fucked around with this message at 23:42 on Jan 27, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Leal posted:

You're right, initiating a leve, flying around, abandoning, retrying, and restarting the leve isn't a dull monotonous grind.

Hmm yes... this squadron of mine that I have to come in every day 3 times a day every hour and tell them to level up really is leveling themselves up. Also I need to grind challenge logs and hope rng gives me people who can bring back blue scrips.

It isn't so bad as that. If you have better things to do, just let your squad go on their next 18 hour mission and ignore training. Even failure is worth a good chunk of XP.

And they will learn chemistry all on their own from daily mission successes. No need to pray to the challenge log gods that one will show up with a good chemistry already equipped. Like four of my oldest squadron buddies can get scrips now.

And then since I was capped I spent those scrips on tokens, forgetting that I'd also need counterfoils that I mostly can't make with my lovely gear. :downs:

Tortolia
Dec 29, 2005

Hindustan Electronics Employee of the Month, July 2008
Grimey Drawer
Once you have a squadron recruit set you like, just look out for a chemistry that increases chemistry trigger rates for your other members. From there it isn't hard to just run easy missions every day you log in to cycle for chemistries you want, and soon your lackeys will be dumping hundreds of scrips and dozens of grade 4 materia in your lap.

Use mission affinities on characters with "bring me loot" chemistries to guarantee they give you stuff.

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
At no point have I declared Sands to be "the" problem. Only that they are my problem. That's just the way I play. I play a little more casually than others.

I forget about those squadron dudes. They cost me seals I don't have to spare, I don't really understand the mechanics, and they happened in the patch where I wasn't playing.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

What're you spending your seals on? I greed on everything that drops in 50+ dungeons (unless one person is new and I figure they might want it for an alt) and do turnins and I never hurt for them.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Leal posted:

E: Oh and that takes away using seals for moonstones since I need to burn seals on these guys and hope rng gives me what I want.
Initiate leve "Show Your Work," standing on this rocky outcropping in the area circle:

Look to the left, forward, and to your right. If you don't see any chests, restart the leve and look again. It took me half an hour to burn through 100 allowances this way and got me enough vilekin to do a huge chunk of the anima.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

EponymousMrYar posted:

My sands method of choice was Miner/Botanist doing the 2-collect rotation for Morels/Cuprite. Pretty much got me a sand every Eorzean day at the cost of a cordial per window and the initial gearing you need to do that (Mine/Forestkeeps mainhand, HQ adamantite offhand, serpentskin gathering gear and enough jewelry stuff to hit 600 gp.)

If you're done with red scrips, you can also hit up Abalathian Mistletoe in the sea of clouds for some more scrips. They don't yield as many scrips as Cuprite and Morels, but they pop several minutes earlier than Morels do, allowing you enough time to purely regenerate all your GP back. The problem with trying to manage it while still getting your red scrips, is the window is right in between Chysals and Adamantite. If you're willing, you can also do Red Quartz, but it requires being incredibly swift and chugging cordials. Fishing enables you to get Illuminati Perch in the downtime, but it also requires saving some blues for leeches in a spend money to make money kind of deal.

I personally didn't do Quartz, and did the 3-collect rotations because to hell with leaving things up to RNG. And also make sure to have 650 GP so you can remove that ridiculous chance to fail your collection. You can get 504 blue scrips with Mistletoe(48), Morels(60), Cuprite(60) and collecting 3 per cycle. So just over 2 sands for about 5 minutes of actual effort(a lot of that is still spent standing around too) and no RNG reliance, every 36 minutes, without turn in bonus. Add another 96 scrips if you're willing to squeeze in Quartz, since you'll only have 400 GP to work with going for them.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Jan 28, 2017

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST

vOv posted:

What're you spending your seals on? I greed on everything that drops in 50+ dungeons (unless one person is new and I figure they might want it for an alt) and do turnins and I never hurt for them.

Nothing but Moonstones. I don't always win greed rolls. And I'm not petty enough to Need on stuff I don't actually need. I mean it takes 4 pieces from the more current stuff for a single moonstone. Times 12 to hit my seal cap. That's a lot of rolls to win.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Like I understand people who can easily put over 5 hours a day into this game every single day. I'm happy for you that these are really easy things to do for you and you are fine doing these things over and over again. I'm happy SE has found the perfect balance for you type of players in their relic weapons. But I get maybe 2 hours every few days to play, I got a full time job and a second job I do at home. I can maybe play a combined 6 hours every week. So after I do my dailies what can I look into doing to get my ultimate weapon? I can:

Buy stuff, but since I hardly play I make no gil and will become broke after buying enough things for 5 sands. So in not being able to buy the tokens I can:

Run extreme primals with randoms or hope enough goons are willing to run them for my personal benefit. They don't, and I don't blame them. And hope that the token both drops and that I win the roll for it. And nothing is as fun as running trials with extreme punishments and tight timing with random people.

Blue scrips. Well I can't do crafter ones because the materials cost money, see above. I can do gatherers but get piddly payouts for it unless I do the high paying ones which are all on unspoiled nodes. Which only activate during certain real life times and I can maybe get lucky and get 2 of them. Otherwise I can spend all my remaining free time getting a pittance of scrips. Or wait the irl days of training for my squads to bring them to me.

Maybe hope the FC will let me have some of that airship only materials to craft celestine, garlond steel and high allagan chimera leather? Or pay out the rear end for them?

Grade 4 materia. I can grind clothes to convert and hope out of the like 20 different outcomes I get the ones I want. Or buy them. Or do POTD. Excellent use of the remaining half hour of the day.

Demimateria. Pay out the rear end for them or pay out the rear end to level my desynthesis. And then pay out the rear end some more to buy the items that desynth into demimateria and hope the rng will give me them.

Moonstones. Am I using seals so my squad can bring me blue scrips or am I using them for stones?! Also you say no one rolls on dungeon gear, I wish I could be so lucky. Most of my seal income is selling off lore gear that gets replaced by scripture gear.

Farthings and catalysts: I guess?? If queues into the dungeons that gave these didn't take up the remainder of my free time. Still annoying cause the playerbase can still manage to gently caress up Crystal Tower and Void Ark. I can maybe get one sand in a week.

Ink and Mist: Sure, I can run a 50 dr and maybe get enough poetics to buy one sand once week as I do an exdr then 50dr and have to quit for the night.

Vilekins: The only thing that can get my any amount of sands within the limited time. But let me tell you initiating dance magic dance, flying around, maybe doing another fly around or 5 just to make extra sure I didn't get a chest, landing, abandoning, retrying, and initiating the leve, mounting and repeat is BORING AS gently caress. No amount of podcasts can make repeating those motions for 30 minutes fun. Not a single one.

So yeah, thats how I can stockpile a ton of umbrite but absolutely lack sands.

E: Oh and I'm a sch so my scripture weapon loving sucks cause SE refuses to put crit on any of the sch tome weapons.

Leal fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 28, 2017

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Maybe you shouldn't care about the anima that much, then, if even this extremely slight amount of grinding is enough to make you lose your poo poo.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

Leal posted:

Vilekins: The only thing that can get my any amount of sands within the limited time. But let me tell you initiating dance magic dance, flying around, maybe doing another fly around or 5 just to make extra sure I didn't get a chest, landing, abandoning, retrying, and initiating the leve, mounting and repeat is BORING AS gently caress. No amount of podcasts can make repeating those motions for 30 minutes fun. Not a single one.
I literally quoted your post and offered a quicker, easier alternative. Please stop melting down over not being able to do the biggest grind in the game on an extremely small time limit.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The entire point of the relic is that it's a time sink. Your other option is to put those couple of hours each night into a static.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

SonicRulez posted:

Nothing but Moonstones. I don't always win greed rolls. And I'm not petty enough to Need on stuff I don't actually need. I mean it takes 4 pieces from the more current stuff for a single moonstone. Times 12 to hit my seal cap. That's a lot of rolls to win.

In a pinch, you can rapidly make GC seals by turning in cheap greens from the market board (or, if you are a level 50 leatherworker yourself, just make a bunch of militia collars). There are a bunch of level 50 jewelry bits that are completely outdated the second you can wear them so people will throw them on the MB for pennies. They may only be worth 300-500 seals each, but they'll add up quickly.

Or if you have no use for the allied seals you get from hunts, turn them in for i100 jewelry and then cash those in for GC seals.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

homeless snail posted:

extremely slight amount of grinding
The anima weapon is literally the grindiest thing in the game though. :raise:

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

There's no reason to not have a potion in the cash shop to automatically grant you your relic weapon.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

Thundarr posted:

In a pinch, you can rapidly make GC seals by turning in cheap greens from the market board (or, if you are a level 50 leatherworker yourself, just make a bunch of militia collars). There are a bunch of level 50 jewelry bits that are completely outdated the second you can wear them so people will throw them on the MB for pennies. They may only be worth 300-500 seals each, but they'll add up quickly.

Or if you have no use for the allied seals you get from hunts, turn them in for i100 jewelry and then cash those in for GC seals.

You know, it is kind of a shame that they didn't add more GC Leves with a much higher seal pay out with First Lieutenant.

Leal posted:

Blue scrips. Well I can't do crafter ones because the materials cost money, see above. I can do gatherers but get piddly payouts for it unless I do the high paying ones which are all on unspoiled nodes. Which only activate during certain real life times and I can maybe get lucky and get 2 of them. Otherwise I can spend all my remaining free time getting a pittance of scrips. Or wait the irl days of training for my squads to bring them to me.

Pull up a seat and fish up Illuminati Perch then. They have no window, the only requirement is to get them reliably you need to spend blue scrips on brute leeches. Or offer to buy brute leeches from somebody who doesn't need their scrips anymore. They're worth 40 scrips each @826 collectability which is almost guaranteed with Patience.

Skaw fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Jan 28, 2017

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

homeless snail posted:

Maybe you shouldn't care about the anima that much, then, if even this extremely slight amount of grinding is enough to make you lose your poo poo.

Panic! at Nabisco posted:

I literally quoted your post and offered a quicker, easier alternative. Please stop melting down over not being able to do the biggest grind in the game on an extremely small time limit.

I just went into detail why I can't go 1 for 1 in sands to umbrite, if you guys wanna call that melting down then I dunno how to be any less mad about explaining it :shrug:

Anima is the only thing I can really do at this point besides gear up alts with scripture gear. Except I basically cannot progress in it cause everything they want me to do 80 times (unless RNG blesses me, and we all know how kind the RNG is in this game) takes a lot of time that I simply cannot put into the game. 2 steps ago where you had to do 80 tokens I didn't really mind cause beastmen dailies are something quick and easy that I can accrue over time in the small time I can play. This step the things I can do in my small timeframe are what small seals I might win from exdr dungeon loot to level up my squadmates, piddly blue scrip tokens unless I can log in when the unspoiled items are showing up, and vilekins. Which is going glacial compared to squeezing in beastmen quests.

VV Here

Leal fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 28, 2017

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Dude. You're playing wrong.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Leal posted:

Buy stuff, but since I hardly play I make no gil and will become broke after buying enough things for 5 sands. So in not being able to buy the tokens I can:

Ink and Mist: Sure, I can run a 50 dr and maybe get enough poetics to buy one sand once week as I do an exdr then 50dr and have to quit for the night.
I assume you've already figured out retainer ventures, but even a few a day will give you a drip of income! Two retainers times two (that's one at the start and one at the finish) is four in an hour playtime, or six if you're on for two hours.

...and uh, isn't ink+mist 450 for a sand? Because that's like three 50drs tops, two if you get lucky with a bonus and one of the higher-poetics payout dungeons.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Yes its 450 poetics for 5 thavnarian mists and 5 superior enchanted ink.

Also getting people to run ARR ex primals is stupid easy just ask in FC chat for ex primals for WT.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

why are none of those free company trailer thingies edited to the theme of The Suite Life of Zack and Cody

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Also for adventure squad it takes a week maybe of sending them out on missions to get to max rank. Increase trigger rates is awesome and you should use it to get what you want. The hourly training are really only good when you rank your squad up and get new bonus points or you need to tweak something slightly for a mission.

I also do not play this game an insane amount. I've been playing for a long time, yes, but outside of raid nights unless I have nothing else going on in my life I play on maybe 2-3 other days in a week, and sometimes that's just logging in for 5 minutes, sending my squad out, and cashing in retainer ventures.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Any raid groups or whatever looking for a Dragoon with almost no raiding experience who may or may not actually be good at this game?
Been trying to dip my foot into Creator Savage and Party Finder has been most unhelpful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
if you're on excal on evenings pst, feel free to drop me (mistel aventice) a line from thursday to monday, and i'll usually be willing to go into an a9/10 party finder with you

i can show you the ropes and yell at people who are being jerks to you. creator savage really shouldn't be hard to dip your toes into at this point.

• Locked thread