Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Pretty sure the Knicks traded a 1st rounder for the rights to Andrea Bargnani

And you can't say "oh phil jackson is different" because he's done almost as bad in free agency

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Bush Did Outer Heaven posted:

I feel like Westbrook would probably murder 'Melo within a week.

I would pay to see Melo wave off Russ in crunch time.

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

Tae posted:

Pretty sure the Knicks traded a 1st rounder for the rights to Andrea Bargnani

And you can't say "oh phil jackson is different" because he's done almost as bad in free agency

Flight 77 cleared for landing

LOL, Knicks brass aka CAA thought he was the last piece to a chip.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

Boosh! posted:

I would pay to see Melo wave off Russ in crunch time.

Russ has waved off greater players

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012
If melo is willing to carry the 2nd unit I'll allow the trade

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Pierre Jackson got injured last night and was on his second 10 day contract with the Mavs. I wish that didn't happen. I wanted them to sign him long term. Today they signed someone named Yogi Ferrell in his place. Really disappointed in this turn of events. The Cavs should sign Jackson once he is healthy, he is an underrated playmaker.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Why are the Knicks so dumb

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

ZenVulgarity posted:

Why are the Knicks so dumb

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
I'm confused, do some of you think the Knicks would be losing that trade?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Spacebump posted:

Pierre Jackson got injured last night and was on his second 10 day contract with the Mavs. I wish that didn't happen. I wanted them to sign him long term. Today they signed someone named Yogi Ferrell in his place. Really disappointed in this turn of events. The Cavs should sign Jackson once he is healthy, he is an underrated playmaker.

Yogi was the point guard at Indiana for like 40 years and was most recently on the Nets.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

one of my favourite SAS memories was the Austin Rivers game in the playoffs where he poo poo the bed play after play and then the next game just started hitting every thing. It was a wide rollercoaster

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

I'm confused, do some of you think the Knicks would be losing that trade?

It depends if Singler is included or not

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
It's really weird to me how often a player being a dickhead makes people really intent on being able to read that dickheadedness into his stats. The only all-around type stat that doesn't put Draymond in the top 20 in the league right now is PER, which heavily favors high usage guys. I can understand wanting to argue in favor of people you don't hate, but Draymond in the All-Star game isn't any kind of stretch.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

Stagger_Lee posted:

It's really weird to me how often a player being a dickhead makes people really intent on being able to read that dickheadedness into his stats. The only all-around type stat that doesn't put Draymond in the top 20 in the league right now is PER, which heavily favors high usage guys. I can understand wanting to argue in favor of people you don't hate, but Draymond in the All-Star game isn't any kind of stretch.
Gobert and Jokic are both better than him in all-in-one metrics though 🤔

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Metapod posted:

It depends if Singler is included or not

I think it would make the Thunder better depending on what's necessary to make salaries match, fwiw. It's pro tier tanking for NYK and gives them a usuable guy next year while probably cutting salary, but absolutely doesn't make them win more games even next season.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

straight up brolic posted:

Almost any team in the league could have Gobert and Jokic atm and fans of all teams should be nauseous over that fact. I actually think they could even play together pretty well.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

I think it would make the Thunder better depending on what's necessary to make salaries match, fwiw. It's pro tier tanking for NYK and gives them a usuable guy next year while probably cutting salary, but absolutely doesn't make them win more games even next season.

You're not understanding what I'm saying if you get Singler you lose no matter what

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!

Metapod posted:

You're not understanding what I'm saying if you get Singler you lose no matter what

On no I got the joke I just didn't have a rejoinder so I continued po faced fantasy trade talk

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009

I think Gobert should definitely be on the team, and I wouldn't be mad if Jokic was either. I think Jokic only competes consistently with the other two if you're using rate stats, though - he hasn't played that many minutes, which probably isn't his fault but might still be inflating his rate stats a little.

Anyway I love all of those players, except for Draymond as a person or a donkey with a lovely attitude.

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

DeimosRising posted:

On no I got the joke I just didn't have a rejoinder so I continued po faced fantasy trade talk

Joke??? JOKE!?!?!??!?!?!?! This is no joke this life or death serious poo poo. Ban Singler from the hardwood

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
You can get Gobert or Jokic by replacing DeAndre and Klay who are the real question mark

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Stagger_Lee posted:

I think Gobert should definitely be on the team, and I wouldn't be mad if Jokic was either. I think Jokic only competes consistently with the other two if you're using rate stats, though - he hasn't played that many minutes, which probably isn't his fault but might still be inflating his rate stats a little.
Kind of. Jokic has 5.3 WS vs. Draymond's 5.7, so that's competitive, but is clearly better in the rate stats. He's 2 points better than him in BPM and a full .1 better in WS48

If you just go by WS the 5 all-star reserves should be:

Gobert
DeAndre
Hayward
Towns
Draymond (5.7)

First out: Gasol (5.4)

If you go by WS48 for qualified players

Gobert
Jokic (.243)
DeAndre
Hayward
Kanter (lol)

First out: Dwight Powell (bigger lol, .186)

If you just go by BPM it should be:

Jokic (8.1)
Cousins
Green
Gobert
Gasol (5.0)

First out: Hayward

Even with just all-in-one stats, Jokic is first out by WS and top 2 in WS48 & BPM. I think he should be on the team. No question with Gobert.

Tae posted:

You can get Gobert or Jokic by replacing DeAndre and Klay who are the real question mark
I don't think the coaches would ever nominate 6 out of 7 reserves as forwards

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Yeah, passing and defense are Draymond's only case for making the game and he's really good at them. I think Gobert is a much more impactful player, though.

There's a reason we don't have 6 centers on an all star team. Gobert is a much more impactful player - than DeAndre Jordan, and he's having a better year than Gasol too.

Gobert should be there, DeAndre should not. If someone else had to get bumped next it probably should be Hayward, who is a one trick pony like Klay, rather than Draymond. :colbert:

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

How is Hayward a one trick pony?

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

I hate life

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
Klay Thompson also isn't a one trick pony, he's a good defender so I don't know what's going on there

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Hayward has many tricks

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
Just out of curiosity I was putting together what the team would look like if you auto-filled it based on RPM. First set is the "wins generated" whatever, second is the rate stat.

east

b lowry
b john wall
f butler
f lebron
f gianis

b kemba
b caldwell-pope
f millsap
f otto porter
f love
w batum
w teague

west

b harden
b westbrook
f durant
f draymond
f kawhi

b curry
b chris paul
f cousins
f gobert
f anthony davis
w trevor ariza
w marc gasol

East

kyle lowry
john wall
butler
lebron
millsap

kemba
caldwell-pope
gianis
love
otto porter
lucas nogueira
jae crowder

West

chris paul
westbrook
durant
kawhi
draymond

curry
harden
cousins
jokic
gobert
george hill
anthony davis

East reserves are a tire fire, RPM really loves Trevor Ariza, and congratulations Lucas Nogueira.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Hayward has many tricks

Especially with Starcraft

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

Libertine posted:

Just goes to show you can't have tres alphas, one has to reign supreme.

This situation has gone beyond the ability of any coach, GM or sports psychologist to handle.

They need to bring in an expert on alpha behavior:

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

He's just a scorer. He's good at it, but not great. I feel like there are 15-20 guys in the league who can do what he does better than he does, but he gets the shots on Utah because he is their only reliable scorer other than George Hill (who is out half the time).

I admit I don't watch Utah that much, so it may be a small sample size impression

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Cool Buff Man posted:

Klay Thompson also isn't a one trick pony, he's a good defender so I don't know what's going on there

He's an ok defender, but not really as good as advertised. He is much closer to Curry in defensive ability than he is to Draymond, KD or Iggy.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
Hayward seems like a decent playmaker, Utah is doing pretty good offensively for a team that doesn't have a Real Point Guard.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Yeah Hayward played point in college and he's great at creating his own shot and shots for others. The Jazz don't have an assist heavy offensive philosophy, but Hayward is probably one of the more versatile players at the wing position in the NBA.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
Here's my list from blending a few advanced stats and putting an equal number of guards and frontcourt players on both teams with the same ratio. It contains several players I would have never voted for so I feel like it's objective.

East:

G Isaiah Thomas
G DeMar DeRozan
F Giannis Antetokounmpo
F Jimmy Butler
F Lebron James

G Kyle Lowry
G John Wall
G Kemba Walker
F Joel Embiid
F Dwight Howard
F Hassan Whiteside
F Kevin Love

West:

G Russell Westbrook
G James Harden
F Kevin Durant
F Kawhi Leonard
F Anthony Davis

G Chris Paul
G Stephen Curry
G Damian Lillard
F DeMarcus Cousins
F Karl-Anthony Towns
F Rudy Gobert
F Gordon Hayward

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

He's not but many of his tricks are deceptive so I understand the confusion

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

predicto posted:

He's an ok defender, but not really as good as advertised. He is much closer to Curry in defensive ability than he is to Draymond, KD or Iggy.

Lol ok you're going hard today and I appreciate that but you're completely wrong on Hayward and wrong to call Klay a one trick pony regardless

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

Yeah Hayward played point in college and he's great at creating his own shot and shots for others. The Jazz don't have an assist heavy offensive philosophy, but Hayward is probably one of the more versatile players at the wing position in the NBA.

He didn't play point at Butler, but he was one of two major playmakers.

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
Klay is a great shooter and good defender. Hayward is a good scorer and playmaker. Reggie Miller was a one trick pony.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

I think Klay Thompson, who has to guard the opponent's best backcourt player every game and does an excellent job, is a much better defender than Stephen Curry, who Steve Kerr goes offense defense with. But that's just me.

• Locked thread