Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ass_Burgerer posted:

Well, I can't load minecraft anymore. I was playing for hours at a time and last played just 2 days ago and now when I try to start playing again forge keeps crashing on loading and I can't even fathom why. The mod pack I'm using was updated (but I didn't download it or anything). I'm not getting even close to running out of ram, and I have set it so minecraft can have access to however much ram it needs.

Just 2 days ago it was running perfectly. Now it can't even load to the main screen? What the gently caress?
That's what happened to me. It was running fine this morning, now I can't get anything to load.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffer
Oct 15, 2010

Post logs

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I wouldn't know what's going on with SkyFactory3, but I have found in the past elsewhere if I can't get that much grout but I can make the tiniest-rear end-little smeltery, then I could ram some compressed cobblestone through it to make seared stone blocks in a jiffy. With a, well, 1x1x1 smeltery, you can only do a block at a time, but nobody said it couldn't be quadruple compressed cobblestone.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Such comfortable, magical pants!
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah latest nvidia drivers broke all versions of Minecraft below 1.11 for some reason.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Evil Mastermind posted:

I guess "grinding" isn't the best word, but it's more that it just feels unnecessary. Minecraft already has bricks, why can't we just use those? It's not challenging, it's just tedious.

:psypop:
No offense intended, but maybe modded minecraft isn't your type of thing, then. I regularly go out and dig a few 3x3x64 tunnels with a ticon hammer and return home with dozens of stacks of ores and poo poo to dump into my ever expanding processing array. Gathering, like Black Pants said, 1 stack of sand, 1 stack of gravel and 16 clay blocks is completely trivial, especially with Veinminer or Ore Excavation. Do you not use either of those?

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

It feels so good to be so bad.....at posting.

Ambaire posted:

No offense intended, but maybe modded minecraft isn't your type of thing, then. I regularly go out and dig a few 3x3x64 tunnels with a ticon hammer and return home with dozens of stacks of ores and poo poo to dump into my ever expanding processing array. Gathering, like Black Pants said, 1 stack of sand, 1 stack of gravel and 16 clay blocks is completely trivial, especially with Veinminer or Ore Excavation. Do you not use either of those?
It's pretty trivial without them even, just get some stone shovels and off you go.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ambaire posted:

I only really play skyblocks. If I want stacks of stone then I'm either sitting in front of a cobble generator or sifting dirt after waiting for stuff to compost in barrels.

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Is anyone aware of any mods for 1.10.2 that add very destructive high radius explosives? Wanting to make a self destruct that isn't a bunch of daisy chained TNT/Obsidian TNT's. (not running IC2 so IC2 nukes aren't an option)

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Sage Grimm posted:

I'm not sure where you're getting the idea that we were attacking you for your opinion. Meskhenet sounded like they managed to play through the entire campaign. Hell, McFrugal had a positive opinion to share! I just didn't share in those experiences and it wasn't the game for me. :shrug:

You're right, it just felt like I was putting a suggestion out there which got torn to pieces. You guys were so nice to me with my mod issues I wanted to give back in a small way. I look up the mods you guys are talking about and they are way out of my league, maybe one day.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ambaire posted:

No offense intended, but maybe modded minecraft isn't your type of thing, then.
Also, just to say: you're probably right. Every time I try to get into modpacks I just burn out quickly because everything just feels like it's making stuff more complex than it needs to be.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Evil Mastermind posted:

Also, just to say: you're probably right. Every time I try to get into modpacks I just burn out quickly because everything just feels like it's making stuff more complex than it needs to be.

This is a valid complaint, but we try to work past it where possible.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

CrazyTolradi posted:

Is anyone aware of any mods for 1.10.2 that add very destructive high radius explosives? Wanting to make a self destruct that isn't a bunch of daisy chained TNT/Obsidian TNT's. (not running IC2 so IC2 nukes aren't an option)

I always end up editing the obsidian TNT's config file to around the 2000 number. Or however high I can until it crashes. It's never high enough.

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

Lorini posted:

You're right, it just felt like I was putting a suggestion out there which got torn to pieces. You guys were so nice to me with my mod issues I wanted to give back in a small way. I look up the mods you guys are talking about and they are way out of my league, maybe one day.

We can be inflammatory but for the most part we want you to have (what we personally think!) the best experience. So stick around, you're making pretty good progress. :) I haven't tried installing individual mods since maybe the early days of 1.2.5!

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

Ak Gara posted:

I always end up editing the obsidian TNT's config file to around the 2000 number. Or however high I can until it crashes. It's never high enough.
I wasn't aware you could do that, thanks.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I've complained before that I find the actual mining aspects of Minecraft to have become very tedious after playing through vanilla. There just isn't that much interesting stuff going on underground. It isn't even a general problem of being a grind; it's a very specific grind of standing in front of some stone until it mines and then standing in front of the stone that comes up next.

I'm saying this after having built a blast furnace in TFC from 12 iron sheets made from flattening iron ingots after purifying iron ingots after breaking apart a refined iron bloom. It's starting to get tedious but it was at least different. Also, props to Vib Rib because this is the furthest I've ever gotten in TFC.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

CrazyTolradi posted:

doesn't tinker's construct have that ridiculous explosive that's made up of flint and gunpowder? you could have a dispenser fire out a shitload of those and just annihilate chunks at a time

CrazyTolradi
Oct 2, 2011

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

doesn't tinker's construct have that ridiculous explosive that's made up of flint and gunpowder? you could have a dispenser fire out a shitload of those and just annihilate chunks at a time
Holy poo poo that's insane, and it even works under water. That's handy, thanks. I was more looking for a nuke style block to self destruct a base.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Just as a heads up: apparently the latest NVidia drivers are causing some mods (like RFTools) to crash.

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003
I have this concept for a mod where complete darkness is impassible, or behaves like a living thing. Like, any air block of light level 0 near the player becomes a solid block you cannot walk through. I'm torn over whether or not the block should be opaque as well, with an animation of some sort. Or if coming into contact with it damages you, or spawns an entity claw or mouth that swipes at you or tries to bite you. If it's opaque it would probably have to replace every air block, or at least every air block that's near a light source or player. The animation should probably only occur if you come near the darkness block, as it'd look really messy if all the blocks animated all the time. Becoming enveloped by the darkness would obviously be a bad situation regardless of how it behaves, though it probably shouldn't suffocate you. I think it'd be more fun if you could still put a torch at your feet. Falling into a pit would be an odd experience, considering you'd stop like 10-15 blocks down and have to put down a block to place a torch to drive back the darkness. If there was a short delay before the darkness blocks spawn, you could put down a torch on the darkness itself to progress downwards.

Can anyone with experience with modding tell me if this would be hard to code? Or terrible for performance for some reason?

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

McFrugal posted:

I have this concept for a mod where complete darkness is impassible, or behaves like a living thing. Like, any air block of light level 0 near the player becomes a solid block you cannot walk through. I'm torn over whether or not the block should be opaque as well, with an animation of some sort. Or if coming into contact with it damages you, or spawns an entity claw or mouth that swipes at you or tries to bite you. If it's opaque it would probably have to replace every air block, or at least every air block that's near a light source or player. The animation should probably only occur if you come near the darkness block, as it'd look really messy if all the blocks animated all the time. Becoming enveloped by the darkness would obviously be a bad situation regardless of how it behaves, though it probably shouldn't suffocate you. I think it'd be more fun if you could still put a torch at your feet. Falling into a pit would be an odd experience, considering you'd stop like 10-15 blocks down and have to put down a block to place a torch to drive back the darkness. If there was a short delay before the darkness blocks spawn, you could put down a torch on the darkness itself to progress downwards.

Can anyone with experience with modding tell me if this would be hard to code? Or terrible for performance for some reason?
I was going to recommend looking at code for the Deep Dark, but Extra Utilities is closed-source. To hell with making sense of it decompiled. The darkness block would get you a lot of it. However, making stuff come out and grab you puts you in entity territory and that then makes things more complicated. Managing that in relation to blocks should be all possible.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I was thinking about playing a round of modded Minecraft, but I have been out of the game for a while. Looking for suggestions for a good mod pack!

I like mods that add cool power items like Equivalent Exchange, and making big machine factories with Industrial Craft and Red Power. I don't like it when it goes too far with the tedious stuff, like GregTECH, I'm looking for a nice chill building experience. I also like some adventure, you know? Like some dungeons and random ruins and stuff spawning all over. My favorite adventure mod was Dimension Doors, so that would be nice if it still exists! Are there any good mod packs like this?

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rutibex posted:

I was thinking about playing a round of modded Minecraft, but I have been out of the game for a while. Looking for suggestions for a good mod pack!

I like mods that add cool power items like Equivalent Exchange, and making big machine factories with Industrial Craft and Red Power. I don't like it when it goes too far with the tedious stuff, like GregTECH, I'm looking for a nice chill building experience. I also like some adventure, you know? Like some dungeons and random ruins and stuff spawning all over. My favorite adventure mod was Dimension Doors, so that would be nice if it still exists! Are there any good mod packs like this?

Boy you have been out of the game a while. None of those things really exist anymore. Even IndustrialCraft 2 is long in the tooth and considered pretty obsolete.

If you just want a big pile of mods to play with, try The 1.7.10 Pack (or one of the modded packs that goons have made servers for, in the Private Game Servers subforum). If you wanna learn how to use mods from this century though, Baby's First Space Race on Technic is the way you want to go. It might sound derogatory but it's a good tech mod tutorial.

Edit: EE was superceded by EE2, which was then abandoned and the mantle was then picked up by ProjectE. EE3 also exists but it's heavily WIP and there's not much point to it. Note that 1.7.10 is still the most mature version for mods. Devs are really ramping up work on modding 1.10 but it's still a fairly slim selection comparatively, and currently, aside from a few new things is very largely just ports from 1.7.10 versions of mods.

Black Pants fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Jan 27, 2017

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Black Pants posted:

try The 1.7.10 Pack

I tried this pack, after 10min of loading it crashed on phase 3 of its 7 phase 200+ mod loading process :psyduck:

Maybe I should go with something smaller?

lolmer
Jan 21, 2014

Rutibex posted:

For Equivalent Exchange, you'll want Project E, available for Minecraft 1.7.10 and 1.10.2 (maybe 1.11, but I haven't checked).

For IndustrialCraft 2 (IC2), it's still around and available from Industrial Craft for Minecraft 1.7.10 and 1.10.2, or if you prefer closer to IndustrialCraft 2 before "experimental" changes, there's Tech Reborn. You might also like Immersive Engineering (IE), which has a companion mod Industrial Wires to work with IC2.

For Red Power...you might want a combination of Super Circuit Maker and Quark for Redstone enhancements and Minecraft quality improvements, with something like Ender IO for power (Redstone Flux (RF)) machines and tools, though you already have IC2+IE for power, machines, and tools.

For MystCraft, the closest for dimension building/exploring that I've used is RFTools Dimensions, which has an element of finding components to build the world you want, or settle for random.

The One Probe has been replacing WAILA (What Am I Looking At), especially for Minecraft 1.10+.

I have a list of mods that I'm using for my family on Minecraft 1.10.2, if that helps get you started, plus there are several packs on Curse Forge and a few posted in this thread.

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Rutibex posted:

I tried this pack, after 10min of loading it crashed on phase 3 of its 7 phase 200+ mod loading process :psyduck:

Maybe I should go with something smaller?

Does that 1.7.10 pack have a lot of those decorative mods that cause memory requirements to balloon out of control?

Hmm from the Technic discussions:

quote:

In The 1.7.10 Pack the RAM is allocating automatically.

Wat?

Either way, they're implying gobbling upwards of 4GB in-game, which isn't too far out there these days, but I don't know a thing about which JVM and whatnot you're using. I don't normally use that pack anyways.

Black Pants
Jan 16, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Does that 1.7.10 pack have a lot of those decorative mods that cause memory requirements to balloon out of control?

Hmm from the Technic discussions:

Wat?

Either way, they're implying gobbling upwards of 4GB in-game, which isn't too far out there these days, but I don't know a thing about which JVM and whatnot you're using. I don't normally use that pack anyways.

I dunno, it's just a generic 'stuffed full of the usual 1.7 mods' pack. I did recommend your BFSR though!

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!

Black Pants posted:

I dunno, it's just a generic 'stuffed full of the usual 1.7 mods' pack. I did recommend your BFSR though!

I honestly wouldn't have said anything except Rutibex called out some part 3/7 loading process. Some of this stuff does get out of control.

Speaking of that: do I really have to literally operate a bellows 100 times on a TFC blast furnace to get it to turn over? It seems like the only way to get the iron to smelt into pig iron is to just keep pounding away at it. It takes about 2 minutes to make 2 ingots.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
If you keep it fueled, the blast furnace will heat up on its own, over time. Eventually it will reach its max temperature, which is slightly below the temperature needed to melt the pig iron. You only need to pump the bellows once it reaches this point, and then only a few times. Doing so will raise the max temperature to above the temperature needed for pig iron.

Pumping the bellows does not increase the speed at which anything heats up. All it does is temporarily raise the max heat. A few intermittent pumps should be enough.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

Do you want your breadcrumbs highlighted?

~SMcD

to build on the bellows thing, one thing you can exploit while working iron and later materials is that, in a forge, the temperature will never rise above the boiling point of those materials if you aren't working the bellows, so it's typically safe to just leave metal in the forge while you're combining or shaping ingots, as long as you're okay with spending charcoal for the privilege

Blind Duke
Nov 8, 2013
There is no way of making a joke about you saying boiling point instead of melting point without being a huge goddam nerd

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Blind Duke posted:

There is no way of making a joke about you saying boiling point instead of melting point without being a huge goddam nerd

well i meant boiling point, you don't want the metal to disappear, which is what happens when it gets too hot

if it liquefies then whatever

McFrugal
Oct 11, 2003

Gwyneth Palpate posted:

well i meant boiling point, you don't want the metal to disappear, which is what happens when it gets too hot

if it liquefies then whatever

Yeah the problem in TFC is that it melts and gets put in a cast, ruining any work you were doing on the ingot. If there's no cast, the metal disappears into the void, but that's not because it boiled away.

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

McFrugal posted:

Yeah the problem in TFC is that it melts and gets put in a cast, ruining any work you were doing on the ingot. If there's no cast, the metal disappears into the void, but that's not because it boiled away.

it took me a minute to figure out why this is bad and i forgot that most folks probably have to spend more than a few seconds in the anvil to make stuff :v:

i am a filthy cheater and work out a plan for the thing i'm making in notepad based on the rules i finagled out of the source code :haw:

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

please share your cheating, cheating ways

i'm sure it's based on sums of prime numbers but i am too lazy to do the maths myself

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
I need a website that does the maths for me.

Lets say I want to build a few tier 3 solar panels from solar flux.
each one takes 4 tier 2
tier 2 takes 8 tier 1
tier 1 needs 3 mirrors
a mirror needs 3 glass and 1 silver.
gently caress if I know how many glass/silver bars are in a tier 3. And I generally dont use AE.

"Math is hard" - popular doll

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

DOWN JACKET FETISH posted:

please share your cheating, cheating ways

i'm sure it's based on sums of prime numbers but i am too lazy to do the maths myself

sure thing: http://pastebin.com/z1NiHiEm <-- CHEAT ZONE, CLICKING RUINS THE DEPTH AND IMMERSION OF TFC ANVILS

all of those values work assuming you've planted the cursor exactly in the "zero" position (where it needs to go in order to finish the item along with the right combination of hit types), but the zero position is randomized according to the world seed and your player, so it's different for everyone

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!

OgNar posted:

I need a website that does the maths for me.

Lets say I want to build a few tier 3 solar panels from solar flux.
each one takes 4 tier 2
tier 2 takes 8 tier 1
tier 1 needs 3 mirrors
a mirror needs 3 glass and 1 silver.
gently caress if I know how many glass/silver bars are in a tier 3. And I generally dont use AE.

"Math is hard" - popular doll

Well you came to the right website. :v:

4 x 8 x 3 x 3 = 288 glass or 4 and a half stacks
4 x 8 x 3 x 1 = 96 silver bars or 1 and a half stacks

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart

Sage Grimm posted:

Well you came to the right website. :v:

4 x 8 x 3 x 3 = 288 glass or 4 and a half stacks
4 x 8 x 3 x 1 = 96 silver bars or 1 and a half stacks

I bet you like Gregtech, dont ya?

Also weird problem in agrarian skies 2 if anyone knows a fix.
I have my smeltery/storage drawers about 20 blocks above where the mobs drop. Which puts the mobs spawning about 15 blocks N of me.
Sometimes when I go down to kill some off they are untargetable with a sword although I can hit them with a tinkers crossbow.
I know they are there because I get hit if I get too close. But all of my swinging gets me nothing. I just have to wait until they despawn.

e: If i could hit the rubber tree lottery I could make grinder and be done with it but multiple stacks of dirt and still nothing.

OgNar fucked around with this message at 23:09 on Jan 28, 2017

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Been a long time since I've crafted mines. Is there a new hotness since 1.7 in kitchen sink packs, preferably without so much of the combat? Your Gardens of Glass, your Agrarian Skies, what have you.

I remember really liking Garden of Glass in theory but being too stupid with redstone mechanics in practice :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gwyneth Palpate
Jun 7, 2010

~SMcD

Ciaphas posted:

Been a long time since I've crafted mines. Is there a new hotness since 1.7 in kitchen sink packs, preferably without so much of the combat? Your Gardens of Glass, your Agrarian Skies, what have you.

I remember really liking Garden of Glass in theory but being too stupid with redstone mechanics in practice :shobon:

Skyfactory 3 is a 1.10 skyblock map like agrarian skies, but almost completely without the quest book. It has an achievements book whose challenges you manually mark completed.

It's distributed on the FTB launcher. Not sure if the curse launcher has it too.