Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

DocBubonic posted:

Awesome stuff on PSAs.

I was in driver's ed in the 70s in Wisconsin and we were still watching those.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Great Green Auk
Aug 31, 2011

It's chameleons all the way down.
The BBC posted this fairly long article yesterday, and I think it fits the tone of this thread pretty well: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/resources/idt-b0af7ef5-1031-4e1f-a3ac-b3c21ef0f932

Basically, there was a tiny cult hidden in British suburbia for almost 30 years and nobody did anything about it until 2013. During this time, a child was born and raised in total isolation from the outside world. Her upbringing was called "Project Prem" and she was not allowed to physically touch anybody but the creepy old-man cult leader. And this guy was every conspiracy theory/dude on a street corner screaming about the new world order/straight up Jonestown-style everything rolled into a single human and given total control over a bunch of women. It's completely insane. They believed stepping outside the house alone would cause them to combust, among other things.

Anyway, the article includes interviews with the escapees and details the horrific living conditions they were subjected to. At one point, the youngest reads from her childhood diary about how she used to be beaten severely for breaking the no-contact rules and it's absolutely heartbreaking.

Naturally, one of the escapees believes the cult leader is being framed by the government and campaigns for his release :cripes:

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

Amazon Prime has begun posting original Robert Stack Unsolved Mysteries seasons!

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

Amazon Prime has begun posting original Robert Stack Unsolved Mysteries seasons!

I'm going to get way too high and freak myself out majorly this weekend, thanks

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

I need some advice on the actual good eps of that.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Pick posted:

I need some advice on the actual good eps of that.
I always liked the legend and mystery sections, they got into stuff like UFO sightings, paranormal stuff, conspiracy theories, lost treasure, ghost ships, unidentified serial killers, and incidents like DB Cooper's disappearance. The murder segment on David Bocks also sticks out in my mind for some reason.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Unsolved_Mysteries_episodes

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Yeah, some of the episodes were great, but some were like "This person was adopted and has never found their parents" and "this person woke up one night and saw a ghost in front of their bed and no, it totally wasn't a dream!"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OctoberBlues posted:

Yeah, some of the episodes were great, but some were like "This person was adopted and has never found their parents" and "this person woke up one night and saw a ghost in front of their bed and no, it totally wasn't a dream!"

It probably wasn’t a dream. It was sleep paralysis.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Nooooooooooo not this derail

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Pick posted:

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Pick posted:

This one time, a demon was sitting on my chest.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Aleph Null posted:

This one time, a demon was sitting on my chest.

I think that's what's called the fencing response

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Platystemon posted:

It probably wasn’t a dream. It was sleep paralysis.

Does anyone ever actually get that?

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Demon was there for a Cleveland Steamer

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

TotalLossBrain posted:

Demon was there for a Cleveland Steamer

Unnerving fact: Cleveland is an actual appliance brand and they do in fact make seafood steamers.

...it took a very delicately-worded GIS to find this picture of one.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

Cat Potency posted:

he had his big pickup truck parked right on the sand. tide came up, saturated the sand under the truck, and the weight of the truck pushed it down onto the "napping" (read: passed out) fisherman. hopefully he went in his sleep.

there's another episode of that show where a Finnish couple accidentally get trapped inside a sauna that the man built by himself in his own backyard. he died of heat exposure, his wife did not. her

Sorry I keep bringing this up in hopes of understanding, but how did he not wake up after being hit by cold ocean water surrounding and underneath his entire body?

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Lots o' booze?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

FrozenVent posted:

Does anyone ever actually get that?

I do. I also get night terrors and if someone walks into my room or wakes me up and they weren't there when I fell asleep I react violently until my waking brain actually kicks in. But this isn't the thread for those stories and the thread that was created for them only lasted like 2 pages and was totally dead because no one really cares about each others dreams.

Drunk Nerds posted:

Sorry I keep bringing this up in hopes of understanding, but how did he not wake up after being hit by cold ocean water surrounding and underneath his entire body?

I'm sure he did, but maybe he was high on the truck and the back already sunk too far downfor him to be able to get out.

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe

The Fuzzy Hulk posted:

Lots o' booze?

Okay. So is it reasonable to assume that, even sans truck, the dude would've just drowned?

I liked it when it was "quirky rare death," less so much now that it's "got drunk and passes out in the ocean"

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Drunk Nerds posted:

Imagine a sloping beach. Guy has his pickup parked on the sand and lies down underneath it in the shade. The tide comes in and surrounds the lower tires of the truck, which sink into the wet sand, trapping his feet under the undercarriage (unless he's got an enormous truck or oversized tires, they don't have THAT much clearance). By the time the water is high enough to wake him, his feet are already trapped and the truck is continuing to sink as the water rises.

That's why Cat Potency said "hopefully he went in his sleep" - it would be awful to be awake in that situation and know that no matter what, you were going to die, crushed under a sinking truck and then drowned by the rising tide.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

I honestly don't think there is any way he died without being awake and struggling to get out of his helpless situation. He drowned, so even if he was super passed out that first breathe of water would have snapped him out of it and then it would have probably been a minute or two of realization before spitting water out wasn't enough to keep air coming in.

Avshalom
Feb 14, 2012

by Lowtax
once i thought i had sleep paralysis but it was actually a ghost in my bed and then we made love

Warm und Fuzzy
Jun 20, 2006

He might have assumed waking up with a truck on his chest was just sleep paralysis.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Warm und Fuzzy posted:

He might have assumed waking up with a truck on his chest was just sleep paralysis.

Maybe he hosed it.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

OctoberBlues posted:

Watching Unsolved Mysteries as a child made me wonder if I was secretly adopted. The whole concept was ludicrous on its face (I look like a female clone of my father with my mom's hair color, so my biological parentage is in no way in doubt), but I guess that show convinced me that there were just secret adoptions going around all the time, like some weird baby-swapping ring? I'm not sure I even knew any kids who were actually adopted at that point, so the entire concept was kind of in the UFOs-and-ghosts zone.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice
It was obviously murder. He had never passed out underneath his truck and drowned before, that was very out of character for him.

bean_shadow
Sep 27, 2005

If men had uteruses they'd be called duderuses.

Antivehicular posted:

Watching Unsolved Mysteries as a child made me wonder if I was secretly adopted. The whole concept was ludicrous on its face (I look like a female clone of my father with my mom's hair color, so my biological parentage is in no way in doubt), but I guess that show convinced me that there were just secret adoptions going around all the time, like some weird baby-swapping ring? I'm not sure I even knew any kids who were actually adopted at that point, so the entire concept was kind of in the UFOs-and-ghosts zone.

My mom was adopted and didn't find out until she was an adult. The thing is, all of her cousins knew but were forbidden to tell. Even some of her friends suspected. Oddly enough, my mom sort of looks like her adopted father's family and I think she may have been a love child that was taken in because my grandparents couldn't have children of their own. Truth is, people of my grandparents generation were not as open with their kids as Baby Boomers and later would be with theirs. So if my grandfather did have a child with another woman, he may have been too ashamed to admit it. I don't know.

I watched UM and Rescue 911 and was always afraid of home invasions where my parents would be killed and I would have to hide and hopefully not be murdered as I somehow called for help.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Antivehicular posted:

I watched that show when I was young enough to believe all the ghosts and UFO poo poo was 100 percent real, and it creeped young whiteyfats right the gently caress out, along with that creepy rear end theme music.

The creepiest thing to me at that age was this, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7veciQZgYo it still makes me uneasy, cause I'm a big ol' baby, apparently. :ohdear:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Antivehicular posted:

The ghost episode(s?) scared the poo poo out of me as a kid and I feel like if I went back to Unsolved Mysteries now I'd be really disappointed because they'd mostly if not all be fairly boring mundane cases.

funmanguy
Apr 20, 2006

What time is it?
I hope you used protection avs. A ghost baby is something I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Ah poo poo, the alien segments in Unsolved Mysteries have given me nightmares for literally like 30 years. At some point as an actual child I considered the possibility that I had been abducted but couldn't remember it.

Robert Stack is just stone loving cold and that doesn't help either.

Edit: I wasn't raised particularly religiously and only prayed as a kid when I was just asking for something specific. At some point I switched to quietly asking any potential aliens for some cool alien stuff if they ever abducted me (again). Like, if it doesn't hurt me or whatever then I'm down but I get to "invent" flying cars when you're done.

Maybe kids should never watch TV.

SLOSifl has a new favorite as of 04:57 on Jan 28, 2017

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Shady Amish Terror posted:

Unnerving fact: Cleveland is an actual appliance brand and they do in fact make seafood steamers.

...it took a very delicately-worded GIS to find this picture of one.

We had one of these at my old job and yeah many bad jokes were made

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis

pookel posted:

I never took driver's ed and so never saw those videos, but we definitely watched a video in that genre when I was in THIRD GRADE. It was all about traffic safety and it dramatized kids running into the street and then showed accident photos. IIRC, it was bloody and scary, though I might have been overreacting because of my age and I can't swear they were real accident photos.

I don't know if you were overreacting. Showing grade school kids accident photos (whether they were real or not) is a bit out of line I think.

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I was in driver's ed in the 70s in Wisconsin and we were still watching those.

I never got to see them for drivers' ed. Probably for the best? I don't know if the graphic nature of those films encouraged teens to be safe drivers or not.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

whiteyfats posted:

I watched that show when I was young enough to believe all the ghosts and UFO poo poo was 100 percent real, and it creeped young whiteyfats right the gently caress out, along with that creepy rear end theme music.

The creepiest thing to me at that age was this, though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R7veciQZgYo it still makes me uneasy, cause I'm a big ol' baby, apparently. :ohdear:

Every year for my birthday I try to find a complete set of that book series on ebay. They're always missing a few of them, but I just know that one year it will be there and I'll finally own them all. My old school library got them as they were released and I was always the first person to check them out.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

Avshalom posted:

once i thought i had sleep paralysis but it was actually a ghost in my bed and then we made love

Just like Ray Parker Jr

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

DocBubonic posted:

I don't know if you were overreacting. Showing grade school kids accident photos (whether they were real or not) is a bit out of line I think.

That might be a bit young, but cars are insanely dangerous and our reliance on them costs thousands of lives every year. That we've normalized the carnage because we want to live in suburban hellscapes and commute two hours a day for no good reason doesn't make the problem go away. If anything we should make more people look at accidents to drive home the danger. Bring on the blood and guts footage in driver's ed, because it is happening on the roads every day.

That's my unnerving contribution: Every drat news story in which a driver smashes a pedestrian or cyclist to pieces and walks free because it was a "car accident," and therefore obviously the driver could not be culpable.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Solice Kirsk posted:

Every year for my birthday I try to find a complete set of that book series on ebay. They're always missing a few of them, but I just know that one year it will be there and I'll finally own them all. My old school library got them as they were released and I was always the first person to check them out.

Yeah, the later books seem to be really hard to find. I would love a full set of that, and the other one that came around the same time, The Enchanted World.

Randaconda has a new favorite as of 11:30 on Jan 28, 2017

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Loucks posted:

That might be a bit young, but cars are insanely dangerous and our reliance on them costs thousands of lives every year. That we've normalized the carnage because we want to live in suburban hellscapes and commute two hours a day for no good reason doesn't make the problem go away. If anything we should make more people look at accidents to drive home the danger. Bring on the blood and guts footage in driver's ed, because it is happening on the roads every day.

That's my unnerving contribution: Every drat news story in which a driver smashes a pedestrian or cyclist to pieces and walks free because it was a "car accident," and therefore obviously the driver could not be culpable.
2 hour commute sounds pretty bad. If you own a car move out west. We got 15 minute commutes here to live in suburbia.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
I'm pretty sure this has been discussed before in this thread, but some sort of final note on it - Emmett Till: Woman who triggered 1955 murder of African American boy admits lying about harassment

This is the one where the lynched boys mother demanded everyone at the funeral see what happened so as not to hide it.

quote:

The white women who testified a black boy had physically and verbally harassed her, resulting in the boy's brutal murder, has confessed she lied.

In August 1955, 14-year-old Emmett Till was visiting family in Money, Mississippi from Chicago, according to the US Library of Congress.

Carolyn Bryant, 21, who was working behind the counter in a grocery store, alleged the young boy wolf-whistled at her.

Three nights later Ms Bryant's husband Roy Bryant and her brother-in-law JW Milam kidnapped Till, brutally beat him and gouged out his eyes before shooting him in the head.

They then dumped the boy in the Tallahatchie River.

When the men went to trial Ms Bryant testified that Till had physically and verbally harnessed her in the store.

Both Mr Bryant and Mr Milam were acquitted by an all-white jury.

Despite later admitting their guilt, the men were never jailed.
Both have died.

Sixty-two years later Ms Bryant, now Caroline Bryant Donham according to Vanity Fair, revealed her testimony was a lie.

Speaking with Timothy Tyson, author of The Blood of Emmett Till, about the harassment claim in 2007 she said "that part's not true".

The white women who testified a black boy had physically and verbally harassed her, resulting in the boy's brutal murder, has confessed she lied.

Ms admitted she "felt tender sorrow," for the boy's mother, Mamie Till-Mobley.

Thousands of people attended Mr Till's funeral in Chicago, where his open casket revealed the boy's injuries had left his face almost unrecognisable.

A photo of his bludgeoned face was circulated around the state by Jet magazine, which was marketed to African-American readers.

Till's image and his murder would act as a catalyst to spark the civil rights movement.

The story dosn't say why she claimed he did though.

Comstar has a new favorite as of 08:00 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

WickedHate posted:

The ghost episode(s?) scared the poo poo out of me as a kid and I feel like if I went back to Unsolved Mysteries now I'd be really disappointed because they'd mostly if not all be fairly boring mundane cases.

Lifetime used to show a handful of them, re-narrated by Dennis Farina. Yeah, they're pretty mundane. I was also freaked out by the ghost episodes as a child.

Farina was awful as narrator.

There were a handful that were genuinely disturbing, like the Timothy Good case.

Antivehicular posted:

Unsolved Mysteries aired at least two stories of black market baby selling: one by Ethel Nation and the Georgia Tann/Tennessee Children's Home Society case. With help of a corrupt judge, Tann spent 30 years selling infants and small children for profit. Tennessee eventually began investigating and admitted the money part of the scheme, but managed to hush up that Tann straight up kidnapped children off the streets and told parents their newborn children were dead.