Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

NoEyedSquareGuy posted:

Yeah he's been around a long time. I remember watching one of his old Comedy Central Presents specials when I was a kid, then not hearing anything about him for over a decade until Louis CK cast him as an obnoxious rear end in a top hat cop in an episode of his show.

You're thinking of someone else. He mentioned on WTF that he did stand-up very briefly cus his stepdad was Bud Friedman, but he's just a successful character actor. It's too bad he comes off as such a jerk on his podcast because I've always loved his acting and his A Tribe Called Quest documentary was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maarak
May 23, 2007

"Go for it!"
If you haven't seen Rappaport ins Spike Lee's Bamboozled, you're missing out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_rY3F-67kh8

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

You're thinking of someone else. He mentioned on WTF that he did stand-up very briefly cus his stepdad was Bud Friedman, but he's just a successful character actor. It's too bad he comes off as such a jerk on his podcast because I've always loved his acting and his A Tribe Called Quest documentary was fantastic.

Huh. Just looked up his career and he doesn't have a Comedy Central Presents at all. Guess I've been mixing him up with some comedian I saw ~15 years ago and can't think of who it would actually be.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

My dad sometimes says "Hey, Rapaport!" because he hurt Walter Matthau say it in a movie once.

So that comes in my mind every time I see Rapaports face. Thanks for listening! :)

ChickenArise
May 12, 2010

POWER
= MEAT +
OPPORTUNITY
= BATTLEWORMS
I'll always giggle at his Real Housewives obsession though.

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Powaqoatse posted:

My dad sometimes says "Hey, Rapaport!" because he hurt Walter Matthau say it in a movie once.

God. My dad does this with weird Jon Lovitz catchphrases or random Piscepo callbacks. I thought it was just him.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

HEY NONG MAN posted:

God. My dad does this with weird Jon Lovitz catchphrases or random Piscepo callbacks. I thought it was just him.

Huh!

I guess that's another till now unsung dad habit.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011
Got about five minutes into the new Bill Burr show tonight before becoming violently ill and ending up in the ER. Anyone sat through it yet? Any good?

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I haven't tried it because I too hate Bill Burr

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Oh the burr backlash has begun. Neat.

nerve
Jan 2, 2011

SKA SUCKS
I mean for me I just have never liked Bill Burr or thought he was funny, it's okay for me to think that

Haverchuck
May 6, 2005

the coolest

rear end Catchcum posted:

Oh the burr backlash has begun. Neat.

I watched some bill burr videos on youtube and now it always recommends videos of him with titles like "Bill Burr ANNIHILATES STUPID FEMINIST BITCH"

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Haverchuck posted:

I watched some bill burr videos on youtube and now it always recommends videos of him with titles like "Bill Burr ANNIHILATES STUPID FEMINIST BITCH"

Oh, you think that's bad? Watch ONE video of Steve Hofstetter. I loving dare you

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
Bill Burr has very funny jokes but they're buried in him being just another angry white dude screaming about how things change and that scares him.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Lmao

XIII
Feb 11, 2009

Bill Burr's act outs and mic work are absolutely top notch. I saw him when he was working through that hour and that gorrilla bit had me crying, so I'm glad to see it into made the special.

Skip My Posts
Aug 15, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
he's just another angry white guy who doesn't program computers

Chromatic
Jan 21, 2005

You guys ready to hear a satanic song?

Haverchuck posted:

I love Burr but a large chunk of his fanbase are mouth-breathing idiots.

Also, the special he put out a couple of days ago was mediocre. The crowd definitively wasn't feeling a lot of it.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Skip My Posts posted:

he's just another angry white guy who doesn't program computers

Who are your favorite white guy comics who program computers?

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

Mordecai Sanchez posted:

Who are your favorite white guy comics who program computers?

drat, I was going to say Kumail but I missed the white guy qualifier.

Apparently Jimmy Fallon started a CS degree but switched out when he got over his head in C++. I'm not sure what madman puts him on a list of favorite comics though.

St. Dogbert
Mar 17, 2011

nerve posted:

I haven't tried it because I too hate Bill Burr

Sorry, I didn't mean I hated him - that's just literally what happened. I turned on the special, watched it for five minutes, then spontaneously got so sick I wound up in emerg.

Wanted to know if it was any good, since I was looking forward to seeing it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Ror posted:

drat, I was going to say Kumail but I missed the white guy qualifier.

Apparently Jimmy Fallon started a CS degree but switched out when he got over his head in C++. I'm not sure what madman puts him on a list of favorite comics though.

Fallon not being able to go beyond C+ explains a lot really.

Knucklebear
Apr 19, 2005
I just watched Trevor Noah's new netflix special. All in all it was pretty meh. It really shows how smart the Daily Show's writers are. Trevor's timing and instincts are good but his jokes just aren't that deep.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
So, uh, how's the new Schumer?

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

Megazver posted:

So, uh, how's the new Schumer?

Nice try Kurt. Try disguising your name better next time.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I enjoy Kurt Metzger and found that to be an excellent post.

chuck2020
Jan 14, 2007
Saw Birbiglia last night in Cincinnati. Great set, crowd was really into it, but more importantly he was really into it. Like the name of the tour says, he's working out new material for his next special, but the whole time he was on stage he was smiling ear to ear and just looked like he was having a blast. Makes me eager to see what the finished product turns out like.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Remulak posted:

Nice try Kurt. Try disguising your name better next time.

whoa nice catch

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
Speaking of Amy, does anyone have any doubts that Anthony Jeselnik was totally writing her stuff for the first years (when she was funny)?

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?
I doubt that myself. So there is one person.

WerthersWay
Jul 21, 2009

Apoplexy posted:

Speaking of Amy, does anyone have any doubts that Anthony Jeselnik was totally writing her stuff for the first years (when she was funny)?

I doubt that because that's an insane thing to think.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I also doubt that because that's fuckin bonkers and she's still pretty funny despite being kinda an idiot?

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I think it's a sane thing to think when you compare her current stand-up material to her past stuff.

manyak
Jan 26, 2006
Is there some specific reason to think Anthony Jeselnik wrote her jokes? Lots of people are funnier early on and then get less funny as they get more famous and run out of material

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I am tempted support a theory that involves Jeselnik being a master joke writer who should be hired by anyone who needs one, though, since her old stuff sounds nothing like his normal style but is still really funny.

But yea there's a reason 'I like his old stuff better' is a meme at this point when talking about comics.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Tatum Girlparts posted:

But yea there's a reason 'I like his old stuff better' is a meme at this point when talking about comics anything.

FTFY. "The sequel wasn't as good as the original" "I preferred the book" "The remake is pretty awful" "Their new album doesn't sound as good as their first album (usually said by people referring to the second or third album, as the first 1-2 are obscure)" "Your dad was a better lover than you" etc, etc.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I dunno, I saw her a few years ago and all her material was short, 'shocking' abortion and sex jokes. Doesn't sound like Jezzelnick to me.

OK it does but her new stuff covers a lot more territory and feels more real.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Apoplexy posted:

speaking of Amy, has anyone ever thought a female comic was secretly writing a male comic's jokes? no? because this is some thinly veiled misogyny? oh OK cool

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

by Shine
I heard Jim Gaffigan doesn't even write his whole shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Yeah, what's funny is that I was gonna post a similar thing but when I thought about her early material drat if he didn't at least have an influence on her. I'm sure it's mutual though.