Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun

straight up brolic posted:

Yeah Hayward played point in college and he's great at creating his own shot and shots for others. The Jazz don't have an assist heavy offensive philosophy, but Hayward is probably one of the more versatile players at the wing position in the NBA.

Yeah he's kind of overshadowed because you have guys like Harden, Giannis, LeBron running high octane offenses but what he does is still pretty rare at his position

Stagger_Lee posted:

East reserves are a tire fire, RPM really loves Trevor Ariza, and congratulations Lucas Nogueira.

Ariza has one of the most high value contracts in the league. I'm too hard on him actually, he's very quietly competent and is fine being thrown at a point guard one night and a power forward the next. I dunno about all-star but he's a big reason why Houston's defense isn't a total disaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Yeah Hayward played point in college and he's great at creating his own shot and shots for others. The Jazz don't have an assist heavy offensive philosophy, but Hayward is probably one of the more versatile players at the wing position in the NBA.

Hayward has 3 assists per game. That's doesn't seem like he creates many shots for others.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Jack's Flow posted:

Klay is a great shooter and good defender. Hayward is a good scorer and playmaker. Reggie Miller was a one trick pony.

Reggie Miller got 3 assist per game for his career, same as Hayward is getting now :colbert:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I think it's pretty clear that you either don't watch Hayward play very often or you do and don't understand how he initiates a good portion of their offense. He's not Jim Harden but he does a good job creating looks for others.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Post-Duncan era, Spurs are 36-9, doesn't look like anyone will challenge us for second in the west unless we implode, and I gotta say this is my favorite most promising year of Spurs rookies in a while. Seems pretty unfair.
I was onboard with Dejuan Blair and his charming story of hamburgers and no ACLs, we all know how drafting George Hill turned out, and CoJo was awesome even if I'm glad we didn't give him what the Raptors did. Tiago Splitter was pretty good for a few seasons but couldn't stay healthy and his most famous moments are now being humiliated by LeBron.

In between there's been a lotta late 1st round chaff. I sense a lot of NBA teams caught up to the Spurs in terms of scouting foreign players a while bacon so there's a lot less chance of pulling Ginos and Tonys out of our hats

I'm really enjoying watching Dejounte Murray and Davis Bertans getting minutes and showing real potential. Bertans has a loving wet release and he's already more than good enough as a Bonner 2.0 role player, and I'm loving Dejounte's wingspan and quickness. Dude's gonna be a terror as the Spurs PG of the future in a couple seasons alongside Prime Kawhi, which was exactly what we needed. Parker needing time off is a blessing in disguise.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rookie-power-rankings-spurs-have-done-it-again-with-dejounte-murray/amp/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erffaiamRVo

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

I think Klay Thompson, who has to guard the opponent's best backcourt player every game and does an excellent job, is a much better defender than Stephen Curry, who Steve Kerr goes offense defense with. But that's just me.

I said closer to Curry, not the same as Curry. Klay is better than Curry, but his defense is a bit overrated.

Draymond is the best help defender in the league, perhaps the best since Rodman, and he makes both of them look better than they really are.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

bill simmons has become a parody of the bill simmons article machine, today he wrote an article with five different trades where the celtics get a ton of great players for gerald green and amir johnson

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

rabidsquid posted:

bill simmons has become a parody of the bill simmons article machine, today he wrote an article with five different trades where the celtics get a ton of great players for gerald green and amir johnson

Speaking of trades.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18569169/new-york-knicks-los-angeles-clippers-seeking-third-trade-partner

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Punkin Spunkin posted:

Post-Duncan era, Spurs are 36-9, doesn't look like anyone will challenge us for second in the west unless we implode, and I gotta say this is my favorite most promising year of Spurs rookies in a while. Seems pretty unfair.
I was onboard with Dejuan Blair and his charming story of hamburgers and no ACLs, we all know how drafting George Hill turned out, and CoJo was awesome even if I'm glad we didn't give him what the Raptors did. Tiago Splitter was pretty good for a few seasons but couldn't stay healthy and his most famous moments are now being humiliated by LeBron.

In between there's been a lotta late 1st round chaff. I sense a lot of NBA teams caught up to the Spurs in terms of scouting foreign players a while bacon so there's a lot less chance of pulling Ginos and Tonys out of our hats

I'm really enjoying watching Dejounte Murray and Davis Bertans getting minutes and showing real potential. Bertans has a loving wet release and he's already more than good enough as a Bonner 2.0 role player, and I'm loving Dejounte's wingspan and quickness. Dude's gonna be a terror as the Spurs PG of the future in a couple seasons alongside Prime Kawhi, which was exactly what we needed. Parker needing time off is a blessing in disguise.
http://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/nba-rookie-power-rankings-spurs-have-done-it-again-with-dejounte-murray/amp/
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erffaiamRVo

RC Buford is a goddamn miracle worker You have to realize this deep down. His success ratio on late round/second round picks is by far the best in the NBA

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
I've asked this before and I don't think I got a definitive answer-- How much of drafting and personnel decisions is on Pop versus RC Buford? Like, does anyone know who is calling the shots there?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I do recall reading that the Leonard pick was purely a Buford thing, and he was scared shitless that Pop would be mad about losing George Hill

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

predicto posted:

There's a reason we don't have 6 centers on an all star team. Gobert is a much more impactful player - than DeAndre Jordan, and he's having a better year than Gasol too.

Gobert should be there, DeAndre should not. If someone else had to get bumped next it probably should be Hayward, who is a one trick pony like Klay, rather than Draymond. :colbert:

I think the problem here is that "scoring" is actually several "tricks" and Hayward is good at more than one of them. Like, Kyle Korver and Jahlil Okafor are both one trick ponies, and the trick in both cases involves scoring, but you'd never say it was the same trick. Hayward meanwhile can score in a variety of ways.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the only useful thing social media has ever produced is nate robinson's thirsty posts trying to get on an nba roster through instagram

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

R.D. Mangles posted:

the only useful thing social media has ever produced is nate robinson's thirsty posts trying to get on an nba roster through instagram

I liked Lillard's pre NBA tweets about why LeBron will never win a title.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

andre drummond using social media to date the girl from icarly was pretty good

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

R.D. Mangles posted:

Um the great emoji war that lead to Paul Pierce tweeting a picture of the rocket emoji

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

predicto posted:

Hayward has 3 assists per game. That's doesn't seem like he creates many shots for others.
he has roughly the same ASTPTS created as like Patty Mills, Kawhi, Bradley Beal, Jokic, Evan Turner, CJ McCollum, and Malcolm Brogdon.

e: lol KD is 36th is AST% among players with >2WS and Hayward is 40th

straight up brolic fucked around with this message at 00:25 on Jan 28, 2017

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

Tae posted:

Pretty sure the Knicks traded a 1st rounder for the rights to Andrea Bargnani

Bargnani was still under contract for 33/3 when the Knicks got him, and on top of the first (which is now Jakub Poeltl), they gave up waiver fodder and two seconds, one of which is still upcoming.

To make the trade even better, both waiver pieces, Camby and Richardson, were originally drafted with Raptors draft picks.

God that trade ruled so hard.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Time posted:

I've asked this before and I don't think I got a definitive answer-- How much of drafting and personnel decisions is on Pop versus RC Buford? Like, does anyone know who is calling the shots there?

I have no personal knowledge, but it's impossible for pops to have anything but a passing knowledge of any of the draft prospects during the season. There is no way he has time to scout before the draft.

Edit : I mean Pops probably has input but he has to rely on other people's evaluations of those prospects.

As far as trades go, it would take a truly dysfunctional GM to not consult the coaching staff before trading for a player, since some of the coaches probably had some kind of experience with the player (at a camp, or a prior team, or the national team or something), and also it would totally suck to trade for a player and find out the coach hates him and refuses to play him.

There is also no way Pops has time to make the calls to other teams to get background on players and feel out trade possibilities. So I don't know who makes the decisions, but if it's Pops he is relying almost entirely on the work of the front office to provide him with intel and advice.

dokmo fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Jan 28, 2017

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Bill Simmons legitimately thinks that Jamal Crawford is better than Austin Rivers

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

dokmo posted:

I have no personal knowledge, but it's impossible for pops to have anything but a passing knowledge of any of the draft prospects during the season. There is no way he has time to scout before the draft.

Edit : I mean he probably has input but he has to rely on other people's evaluations of those prospects.

Thanks!

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Jamal Crawford is like 36 and has 3 years on his deal, right?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Time posted:

We have no way of knowing.

Partly why I'm firmly against the Lakers fans who want to remove Jim Buss. Like at worst he's a rubber stamp to Mitch Kupchak's decisions who occasionally makes a bad coaching hire, at best he's actively involved in helping to complete deals and scouting of college players. We (as fans) just really don't know.

predicto posted:

Assists are a bad stat for a lot of reasons, but one of the big ones is they don't even accurately convey what they're supposed to, which is how many shots a guy helps to create.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Also something to consider with the Jazz is that they actually pass the ball a lot (5th most in the league), but they play with the 2nd slowest pace and have the third fewest assists. A lot of the playmaking and passing that they do doesn't show up on the stat sheet.

WhyteRyce posted:

Jamal Crawford is like 36 and has 3 years on his deal, right?
Only 1 guaranteed year after this one.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
The Bulls are benching, but not suspending, Butler and Wade tonight against Miami. Paul Zipser and Doug McDermott are starting.

Rondo is not being punished. That means the Three Alphas will be reunited...off the bench

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

he has roughly the same ASTPTS created as like Patty Mills, Kawhi, Bradley Beal, Jokic, Evan Turner, CJ McCollum, and Malcolm Brogdon.

e: lol KD is 36th is AST% among players with >2WS and Hayward is 40th

Exactly. No one here is going to tell you that KD or any of those other guys are great playmakers the way people are claiming that Hayward is.

Hayward is good, but he's basically a high usage scorer in a league full of scorers who can do what he does. He's not an all-star. Both Gobert and Draymond are much better and more impactful players than Hayward is, in different ways.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think you really have to consider that if you sent Crawford to the Knicks they'd probably end up having to buy him out which really means you're sending him to the Cavs or Warriors.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

predicto posted:

Exactly. No one here is going to tell you that KD or any of those other guys are great playmakers the way people are claiming that Hayward is.

Hayward is good, but he's basically a high usage scorer in a league full of scorers who can do what he does. He's not an all-star. Both Gobert and Draymond are much better and more impactful players than Hayward is, in different ways.
KD is a great playmaker.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

xbilkis posted:

The Bulls are benching, but not suspending, Butler and Wade tonight against Miami. Paul Zipser and Doug McDermott are starting.

Rondo is not being punished. That means the Three Alphas will be reunited...off the bench

lol i will watch this game the bulls will lose by like 50

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

predicto posted:

I'm here to tell you this: all of those guys are good-great playmakers

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

also, yeah

quote:

he's basically a high usage scorer in a league full of scorers who can do what he does.

totally.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

lol i will watch this game the bulls will lose by like 50

Denzel Valentine and Bobby Portis inspired by Rondo's defense of them will drop 30 and 20 respectively

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

predicto posted:

The gently caress is this bullshit Durant is absolutely a great playmaker

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Rick posted:

Assists are a bad stat for a lot of reasons, but one of the big ones is they don't even accurately convey what they're supposed to, which is how many shots a guy helps to create.

I'm digging through these stats trying to find some indication that Hayward creates a lot of shots for others, compared to anyone else that people call NBA playmakers.

http://stats.nba.com/players/passing/#!?sort=POTENTIAL_AST&dir=1

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

there's absolutely nothing i want more to see than doug mcdermott bringing it up and waving everyone off to run an iso for himself

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
I'm picturing Fred Hoiberg working up the courage to discipline Wade/Butler for a few hours in the mirror, and then when he actually calls them into his office he can only spit out "Uhhhh you're going to come off the bench. Problem solved see ya out there fellas"

Then he closes the door and curses himself for not finding a good clip from Caddyshack that could have fixed this entire mess

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

I'm sure Wade and Butler are like "yeah sure do whatever you gotta do to keep up appearances" and won't actually change anything

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop

predicto posted:

He's just a scorer. He's good at it, but not great. I feel like there are 15-20 guys in the league who can do what he does better than he does, but he gets the shots on Utah because he is their only reliable scorer other than George Hill (who is out half the time).

I admit I don't watch Utah that much, so it may be a small sample size impression

I'm sorry to dogpile on you, but that is the opposite of Gordon Hayward's game. He's good because he can do everything on offense, in fact a more accurate insult would be jack of all trades, master of none. He can catch t he ball and attack the rim, he can make jumpers from the elbows and three point line, he has some tricky floaters and step backs, he passes well and can run either side of the pnr. He's not great beyond compare at any of those things, but his versatility has helped keep Utah afloat while their team boat was filled with the holes what we call injuries

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

WhyteRyce posted:

I'm sure Wade and Butler are like "yeah sure do whatever you gotta do to keep up appearances" and won't actually change anything

P much. Jimmy Cut Fred's balls off last year and has been doing nothing but dangling them in Fred's face since then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejan Bimble
Mar 24, 2008

we're all black friends
Plaster Town Cop
I like the Kevin Durant passes that are really handoffs because his arms are so freakishly long

• Locked thread