Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
This moon is comprised of a single, boring geological feature; despite the almost endless variety we see here on the planet earth, or the exponentially weirder things that exist within our solar system, or the infinite possibility of scenarios available just by using your imagination. Good job, CIG.

Nicholas fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Jan 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

HKS posted:

It's very cut and dry to me, LA studio makes ads and bug fixes. F42 trawls through mocap footage and makes demo after demo. Tony Z and his Austin dudes ARE the 'AI team', 'planet landing', 'large map', '64bit position', 'localized physics', 'netcode'.

It's the same loving people making the same loving nothing. Trying to discuss if 3.0 is real is hilarious because like everything else it's fake and there are no actual teams you dumbos.

Don't forget the ex-CryTek Germans over in F42-GER who run on fairy dust, and who were supposed to have fixed everything. Back in 2015.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Any one know how CIG handles someones account if they die? Unfortunately have to ask as a gaming buddy had a stroke and they took him off life support this afternoon.

Not really. Nobody has committed Seppuku yet. That we know of.

D_Smart
May 11, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
College Slice

grimcreaper posted:

I really like your ship designs and the color choices you make. Its turning out to be an awesome looking game. Also, seriously, thank you for not just using 4 shades of gray. Its a really nice change from standard scifi drab colors.

Thanks. The colorful art style is something I wanted from the start. The downside is that due to the low quality assets, some of them are showing their age. But we're in a major asset overhaul now anyway, as part of our UE4 port. So with support for HDR and PBR, it's going to look at lot better at the end.

D_Smart fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Jan 28, 2017

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

So this is how Ben got captured?

https://twitter.com/banditloaf/status/824106564956983297

39 snickers bars = 20,000 calories

spacetoaster fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Jan 28, 2017

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Hahaha the 'especially awesome' sneak peek is literally called concept.jpg

Crusader Moon Concept Cellin
This week’s sneak peek is of a surface outpost on Cellin, one of Crusader’s moons. Visitors must be careful as the moon has over a hundred dormant volcanoes. This led to it being named Cellin after the youngest sibling in the children’s morality tale, “A Gift for Baba,” who is portrayed as stewing with anger.

Its just a jpg for a moon no ones ever seen.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/5qkci4/eve_online_nebula_used_in_star_citizen_concept_art/

And apparently the background nebula is lifted from EVE.

(I guess it's possible there's some stock image they're both using, but... eh)

Nicholas
Mar 7, 2001

Were those not fine days, when we drank of clear honey, and spoke in calm tones of our love for the stuff?
original cig concept art do not steal

gis moon outpost

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

D_Smart posted:

Thanks. The colorful art style is something I wanted from the start. The downsize is that due to the low quality assets, some of them are showing their age. But we're in a major asset overhaul now anyway, as part of our UE4 port. So with support for HDR and PBR, it's going to look at lot better at the end.

:eyepop:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
nevermind I'm slow

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

Tsed posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Eve/comments/5qkci4/eve_online_nebula_used_in_star_citizen_concept_art/

And apparently the background nebula is lifted from EVE.

(I guess it's possible there's some stock image they're both using, but... eh)

Nebula are pretty easy to procgen, you can get a bunch of photoshop plugins that'll create really nice ones. I'd be surprise if eve didn't use this sort of thing to generate their space backdrops because you can tweak them to exactly what you're looking for.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

spacetoaster posted:

This man's good health and perfectly normal weight are a testament to a lifestyle and habits that belong in a loving horror film.

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

That's like a joke from a really bad movie. "Lemme see, normal people propose with diamonds, so fat people would use... candy! Of course! I'm a comedy genius!" ~ Friedberg and Seltzer, probably.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY gently caress THE BASE AND THE BACKGROUND ARE BOTH STOLEN

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Just remember citizens when you visit dangerous planets like this one. Make sure to take your all new RSI Explori-class do it all ship

With special anti volcano technology , now only $1500 with lti. Limited to 50,000 units only and never ever to be sold again we promise

Tsed
Jan 30, 2008

aaaaag drugs

Chalks posted:

Nebula are pretty easy to procgen, you can get a bunch of photoshop plugins that'll create really nice ones. I'd be surprise if eve didn't use this sort of thing to generate their space backdrops because you can tweak them to exactly what you're looking for.

I mean, it's almost certainly CCP's original work, considering how they use these things (different sizes/blending/povs depending on where in the region you are, etc), but I just figured it's a nonzero possibility.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

ManofManyAliases posted:

Difference is that I can take my character, leave the ship and walk right unto a space station immediately after landing. What happens in E:D? You just "transfer" to another ship?

The beauty of the Star Citizen way is that also any random dude can walk straight into your expensive chariot as it sits there and either take it straight away or hang around in the back until you've taken off, shoot you in the back of the head and then take it. So it's all a whole bunch of effort to make stealing extremely easy and preventing stealing extremely hard. Awesome!

Sunswipe
Feb 5, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Sappo569 posted:

Just remember citizens when you visit dangerous planets like this one. Make sure to take your all new RSI Explori-class do it all ship

With special anti volcano technology , now only $1500 with lti. Limited to 50,000 units only and never ever to be sold again we promise

I'm getting slow in my old age. I've only just realised the volcanoes are dormant because it would be more work to make them erupt.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Sunswipe posted:

That's like a joke from a really bad movie. "Lemme see, normal people propose with diamonds, so fat people would use... candy! Of course! I'm a comedy genius!" ~ Friedberg and Seltzer, probably.

Imagine being his wife and coming home , hearing panting and laboured breathing coming from the bedroom

you rush in expecting to see your soon to be husband collapsed on the floor from a heart attack

Instead you see him collapsed on the floor devouring the rest of the bulk box of chocolate bars

Hey hunny will you marry me ? He asks with chocolate coating his entire face

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

spacetoaster posted:

Wonder if he had time to read it

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sappo569 posted:

Imagine being his wife and coming home , hearing panting and laboured breathing coming from the bedroom

you rush in expecting to see your soon to be husband collapsed on the floor from a heart attack

Instead you see him collapsed on the floor devouring the rest of the bulk box of chocolate bars

Hey hunny will you marry me ? He asks with chocolate coating his entire face

You know during sex that night they started at one end of the candy bar and met in the middle.

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Nicholas posted:

original cig concept art do not steal

gis moon outpost

Ahahahahah

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
I've eaten two bags of hello kitty jelly beans tonight (90g each) and I feel pretty gross

his nibs
Feb 27, 2016

:kayak:Welcome to the:kayak:
Dream Factory
:kayak:
Grimey Drawer
https://vid.me/vklv

:gary:

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Sunswipe posted:

Was going to say, I'm not a geologist but I thought active volcanoes were more of a problem. I guess it's a bad idea to fly into a dormant volcano, but it's a bad idea to fly into a mountain as well.

Geology is a big part of work for me, I can tell you with plenty of authority that flying into a dormant volcano is pretty much like flying directly into the ground. Depends on where you hit it of course and how long since it's last active event, but generally dormant volcanoes are mostly just planet Earths gigantic, very solid, igneous rock buttplugs covered with a varying thickness of whatever local flora and fauna is available in it's location. :)

Dormat volcanoes may one day become active, but can take many thousands of years to even show signs of slight activity.

Should of known CIG would miss the very first result in google images :D (It's actually a really good image, even shitizens could understand it's clarity)

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 28, 2017

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

TrustmeImLegit posted:

HAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA HOLY gently caress THE BASE AND THE BACKGROUND ARE BOTH STOLEN

How many times have they out right stolen another companies images , to sell their own product?

How has no one sued the pants off them yet

SpaceCurtisLeMay
Sep 30, 2016

We're at war with Goons. We were attacked by Goons. Do you want to kill Goons, or would you rather have Citizens killed?

HycoCam posted:

drat. Sorry to read that. Was he married? Typically, if an executor knew about the account/knew what to do, they would liquidate (refund) the account into cash and distribute to the heirs. In reality, probably not something most people would consider. If he has a substantial amount and married, maybe help the wife/kids process a refund some time after the funeral. (or email the executor a quick note with links to the refund details.)

Unfortunately he wasn't married it would be his parents. I know he had the $1000 Idris from the original kickstarter days and not sure what else frankly back before he had to go on disability through no real fault of his own, went in for a routine procedure and had horrible complications that left him blind in one eye and things went down hill after that. In fact he died on the OR table last year and they had to shock him back to life. He is only 34. Hasn't died yet, but was in a vegetative state after the stroke and now off life support. More a question of when at this juncture...I'll let his parents know about this in a couple weeks. They've got enough do deal with at the moment and this isn't all that important in the grand scheme of things.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Any one know how CIG handles someones account if they die? Unfortunately have to ask as a gaming buddy had a stroke and they took him off life support this afternoon.

Condolences my friend. That's really sad to hear.

Chin
Dec 12, 2005

GET LOST 2013
-RALPH

spacetoaster posted:

That is one of the saddest pictures I've ever seen.

Right up there with the vulture behind the starving kid.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

Sabreseven posted:

Dormat volcanoes may one day become active, but can take many thousands of years to even show signs of slight activity.
I've heard they're more passive aggressive.

Damn Dirty Ape
Jan 23, 2015

I love you Dr. Zaius

:lol: at CIG archering CCP.

Pelican Dunderhead
Jun 16, 2010

Ah! Hello Ershin!
Pillbug
To be honest I don't quite see the base lifting, nebula is a rip though. Maybe if a commando layered them on top of each other or something.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Lol holy poo poo it's so blatant

I used to think they had talented artists working there. But it's clear from the bottom to the top it's just pure incompetence

How can a manager look at that and be like yep that's good enough for a 140m dollar company release it

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Chalks posted:

They did, back in 2011 when they rolled out their new region-specific skyboxes. As you moved across space, far-away regions would first appear as tiny blobs — as you got closer, they'd expand to show off entire nebulas that would eventually encompass you. The density of the nebulas weren't exactly realistic, but the purpose was to look good anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VpuOM64wIJQ

e: Hell, technically, the entire EVE universe is procgened (from a seed of 42, to boot) — only the resulting distribution of systems and planets was baked into a fixed database for ease of storage and manipulation. And then there's the confusing matter of the game's planetary surfaces:D

Tippis fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Jan 28, 2017

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Pelican Dunderhead posted:

To be honest I don't quite see the base lifting, nebula is a rip though. Maybe if a commando layered them on top of each other or something.

The struts on the side of the main base building are identical, as is the three tone pattern. The rest of it has been chopped up pretty good but that side remains as a telling detail.

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development

"But they only stole 1 asset from 1 game" :reddit:

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

You know sometimes I wonder if Cloud Imperium Games is entirely serious about this whole making a videogame business?

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

lazorexplosion posted:

The struts on the side of the main base building are identical, as is the three tone pattern. The rest of it has been chopped up pretty good but that side remains as a telling detail.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

MoMA, input on this please?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

I guess we already knew that all of Star Citizen's concepts are just blatantly ripped off of other media what with sandworms etc but it's great that it goes down to the smallest details.