Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.
Well my AGS-101 arrived today.

I'm already planning on getting Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Minish Cap, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, and probably MK Super Circuit as well. Any other GBA/GBC recommendations?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

d0s posted:

The GC and N64 also have some strong third party exclusive titles which seem to be completely absent on the Wii U, apart from TANK TANK TANK which I was really pleased to see get a home release

Are there really that many great Nintendo 64 and Gamecube games that weren't somehow from Nintendo? People mentioned Sin and Punishment and Twin Snakes on the last page, but Nintendo published the former and significantly backed the latter.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Instant Sunrise posted:

I'm already planning on getting Oracle of Ages/Seasons, Minish Cap, Castlevania: Circle of the Moon, and probably MK Super Circuit as well. Any other GBA/GBC recommendations?

I'm playing Final Fantasy 1 on the 1&2 combined cart right now due to being the fastest version of the game, or at least it feels that way.
FF4-6 are also solid choices, although FF4 is better on PSP if you have that.
The Final Fantasy Legend games are solid on GB, as are the less grindy ports of Dragon Quest 1-3 on GBC.
Metroid Fusion on GBA.
Yoshi's Island on GBA.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Kid Fenris posted:

Are there really that many great Nintendo 64 and Gamecube games that weren't somehow from Nintendo? People mentioned Sin and Punishment and Twin Snakes on the last page, but Nintendo published the former and significantly backed the latter.

I'm more familiar with the N64 library, but here's my list:
Tetrisphere
Mystical Ninja Starring Goemon
Wetrix
Mischief Makers
Bomberman 64
Bomberman Hero
Rogue Squadron
Episode 1 Racer
Space Station Silicon Valley
Body Harvest

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Instant Sunrise posted:

Aria of Sorrow is the best GBA Castlevania, so don't overlook that one.

Drill Dozer is an underrated classic, so also look into that.

Metal Gear was on GBC (called "Metal Gear Solid" in the West, but everyone calls it by its Japanese name, Ghost Babel, cuz it's largely unrelated to the PS1 game), so maybe give that a look.

Wario Land 2 and Wario Land 3 are some of my favorite platformers of all time, so give those a look for sure if you haven't already.

The GBA Metroids are really good, though Fusion is notably a bit more linear. I mean, Zero Mission kinda is too, but they did a decent job of obscuring that.

Final Fantasy V on the GBA is generally considered the version to run for the Fiesta, innit? At any rate, it's a good version to pick up. If you were going the Everdrive route, you could use the SNES music patch to make it a smidgen better yet.

I liked Super Mario Advance 2: Super Mario World quite a bit. The music's a lot assier than the SNES version, but I really liked the ability to play as Luigi - even if he trivialized the game to a noticeable degree.

The Sonic Advance games are pretty decent. I like the first the best, since it plays the closest to the originals, but Advance 2 has its fans. I liked Advance 3 more than Advance 2, though, but at the same time, its level design gets a fair bit more bullshit than Advance 2's - and Advance 2's was already bullshit, so that should indicate the level we're working with here.

Anyway, good luck avoiding pirated copies.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

univbee posted:

I'm playing Final Fantasy 1 on the 1&2 combined cart right now due to being the fastest version of the game, or at least it feels that way.
FF4-6 are also solid choices, although FF4 is better on PSP if you have that.
The Final Fantasy Legend games are solid on GB, as are the less grindy ports of Dragon Quest 1-3 on GBC.
Metroid Fusion on GBA.
Yoshi's Island on GBA.

Fusion I'll pick up, Yoshi's Island I already have on the SNES and I'm not super hot on buying GBA remakes of games I already have.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK

Kid Fenris posted:

For the GC Sega did many good things. Monkey Balls. Pso games with local multi. A revised Skies of Arcadia.

Honestly I like the GameCube over the ps2, Xbox, and Dreamcast. Overall. It's Nintendo's System That Could but the bitter fruits of their douchebaggery harmed it, and it was a bit like the N64 and their portables in being jam packed full of kiddie licensed dross nobody really wanted. It's like Nintendo platforms are mostly Nintendo dev/published stuff then an endless sea of LJN, Acclaim, Ocean, and Bandai IP whoring garbage made to sell quickly off a cartoon or movie.

Yet somehow Nintendo and their fanbase are largely fine with this. Seal of Quality MY rear end.

Edit: vvvv oh most platforms have tons of it. It just seems particularly bad on post SNES Nintendo machines because outside of the Big N most companies understandably don't want to even bother with their top shelf stuff. Nintendo treats companies like poo poo, and the Nintendo fanbase seem to not be willing to buy even the best of games (REmake, RE 4 frex!) on their machines and kids / parents don't know any better so.. Why even bother? Slap an IP on something, poo poo it out, make a few bucks. ALIENS COLONIAL MARINES AS FAR AS THE EYE CAN SEE. :smith: this really makes me sad with the GameCube because I loved that thing. Great hardware, good looking, wonderful controller. It deserved better than it got. Ps2 had the popularity, Xbox had Microsoft supporting it, GC had fuckall care. Even some Nintendo games were questionable as Starfox Adventures proved. Everyone failed the GameCube in the end. From Nintendo down to us the Consumer. I did my part and even bought every multi platform game on the Cube. But it just wasn't enough. And now it has this bad image it doesn't entirely deserve just like the Saturn. :smith:

Captain Rufus fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Jan 28, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Captain Rufus posted:

It's like Nintendo platforms are mostly Nintendo dev/published stuff then an endless sea of LJN, Acclaim, Ocean, and Bandai IP whoring garbage made to sell quickly off a cartoon or movie.

Yet somehow Nintendo and their fanbase are largely fine with this. Seal of Quality MY rear end.

The shovelware on the GCN also had PS2 versions. It's like those companies wanted a quick buck anyway they could get it or something.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

Instant Sunrise posted:

Pokemon Emerald seems obvious but it's still very good. The remakes of Ruby and Sapphire left some end game stuff out.

The Advance Wars games are good if you're into strategy games

I remember liking the original Golden Sun but it probably hasn't aged well.

If you're into shooters, Gradius Galaxies was fun.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

flyboi posted:

Just a warning on MSU-1 games and SD2SNES: you need to hold reset and get back to the menu before shutting off the system or you will not retain save data.

You can also hold L+R+Select+X and the IGR reset function will dump you back to the main menu, which saves you from having to hit the actual reset button.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy

Instant Sunrise posted:

I like to recommend this one because nobody does. Mario Party Advance.

Don't think of it as a party game. It's nothing like the console versions. It's like a board game, sure, but the similarities end there. They added RPG elements to it, like helping a dolphin who's depressed because people aren't coming to his stand up comedy routine.

It's a really, really excellent game.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Instant Sunrise posted:

poo poo I just looked through my stack of GBA games looking for good recommendations and I've got almost nothing that isn't a port, remake, or thinly veiled ripoff (Wade Hixton's Counterpunch, Digimon Racing, Godzilla Domination I'm looking at you) and the same is mostly true for GBC. If you want some weird poo poo though:

Wario Ware Inc.- If you can stand twitch based gameplay and don't have already have it on gamecube, or don't have a Wario Ware game at all and are dying for one. I think Smooth Moves on the Wii is the best of this series anyways.

Hamtaro Ham Ham Heartbreak- Cute simple adventure game solving hamster problems. There's also Ham Hams Unite on GBC which is more of the same.

Sigma Star Saga- A shmup/rpg hybrid I've never had time to get into.

Pokemon Pinball- Either one of them or you can be a hipster and import Super Robot Pinball. They'e all the same game and all decent pinball.

Drilldozer- I'll second this one even though I've yet to finish it. Good platformer by Game Freak.

And that is for "original" content. Also though its GB (and technically a port of a 1979 japanese computer/arcade game) I'll add Heiankyo Alien in too because dammit I love it. All you do is dig holes to trap alien invaders then bury them alive to kill them but there's enough strategy and timing in it to keep me interested.

I assume Link's Awakening DX is on the list if you haven't got it elsewhere already.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Turbinosamente posted:

I assume Link's Awakening DX is on the list if you haven't got it elsewhere already.

Bought it off the eShop for my 3DS.

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch

Kid Fenris posted:

There were a bunch of multi platform releases that ran best on GC. None of them really matter these days but back when people cared about Timesplitters, the Bond shooters and stuff like that you often got the best performance and also four players out of the box back when only 2/3 of the mainstream systems were like that. And honestly for that generation the weak third party is the norm for everyone who wasn't the PS2. The Xbox arguably has even worse third party games than the GC. When people talk about Xbox games that haven't been ported to anything yet (because the good poo poo like Stranger's Wrath has) it's basically just Otogi 2 as the sole game that's worth anything (and seriously that game is good, it's the half way point between Dark Souls and Dynasty Warriors with DMC style air juggles, it also looks better than most first gen 360 games because it's seriously loving beautiful).

As for GBA/GBC stuff, here's some deep dives:

Hype: The Time Quest (GBC): Adventure platformer based on Playmobil.
Tony Hawks Pro Skater 2 (GBA): Jaw dropping visuals for the time, a better tech demo than even F-Zero for what the GBA was capable of, also a fun game.
Jungle Book (GBC): middle of the road game but by far the best looking game ever released for GBC.
Donkey Kong 94: Fukkin great game.
Azure Dreams (GBC): Good little RPG, sort of a re-imagining of the console game.
Shin Megami Tensei Last Bible 2/Revelations: The Demon Slayer (GBC): Probably the deepest RPG made for the GBC or GBA.
Robopon (GBC): Nintendo Power called it the most shameless ripoff of another game they had ever reviewed. It's actually got some cool ideas for a monster collecting game like changing monster type by installing new software and swapping out robot parts.
Metal Walker (GBC): It's the robot billiards RPG!
Medabots (GBA): These games were like a mix of Monster Hunter and Super Smash Brothers.
Konami Crazy Racers (GBA): Arguably better than Mario Kart IMHO.
Ecks vs Sever (GBA): Worth it for the visuals alone, also pretty OK multiplayer.
Shining Soul/Shining Soul II (GBA): Anime diablo games.
YuGiOh: Eternal Duelists Soul (GBA): the last YGO game that was just a portable card game time waster and wasn't full of RPG poo poo.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

Third party games I enjoy for each one off the top of my head (I don't care who published it, as long as they weren't developed by Nintendo/a nintendo subsidiary or use Nintendo IP it's a non-nintendo game to me):

N64

Aerogauge
Beetle Adventure Racing
Penny Racers/ChoroQ
Sin and Punishmnent
Mischief Makers
Tetrisphere
Star Soldier: Vanishing Earth
Bangai-O
Various Bomberman Games
Densha De Go 64
Dezaemon
Doom 64
Harvest Moon 64
Hydro Thunder and various other Midway arcade racing ports
ReVolt
MRC
Rally Challenge 2000
Mystical Ninja/Goemon
Snowboard Kids 1/2
Shadows of the Empire
Various wrestling games that I don't care for but others love
Wonder Project J2

GC
Baten Kaitos series
Billy Hatcher
Cubivore
Killer 7
Tales of Symphonia
Viewtiful Joe 1/2
Monkey Ball 1/2
Mystic Heroes
Odama
PN03
Resident Evil 1 remake
Resident Evil 4
Road Trip/Choro Q
Tube Slider
GT Cube
PSO
Evolution Worlds
Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles
Harvest Moon
Lost Kingdoms 1/2
Skies of Arcadia Legends

As this is a personal list it's stacked with things I like so there's a lot of weird racing games etc and I'm probably missing a shitload of stuff that I don't care about and ignore. Their 3rd party libraries don't hold a candle to their contemporary systems (PSX, PS2, DC etc) but there's no question they have more diverse and interesting third party lineups than the Wii U and I don't think it's right to lump them in with that system which was released at a time when it was much more difficult for smaller devs to make physical release games for a big console

edit: also wanna state that I feel like the actual first party nintendo games on both systems are better than the first party stuff on Wii U

d0s fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Jan 28, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Most of the Rare games count as third-party titles for the N64 as well.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Most of the Rare games count as third-party titles for the N64 as well.

yeah that was grey to me so I left em out, though blast corps is the only one I like anyway

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Instant Sunrise posted:

Nintendo's assumption was more that texture filtering could make up for having low res textures.

I thought another problem was Nintendo made companies use SGI microcode tuned for drawing accuracy rather than speed because they thought it was more important. (Factor 5 being insane wrote their own microcode.)

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Kid Fenris posted:

While I can come up with a short list on the N64, I can't really say it's an overwhelming number. In the library there's Blast Corps, Mischief Makers, Bangai-O, Tetrisphere, and then I start really struggling to come up with more (no, I didn't forget Goldeneye or Perfect Dark; they were lovely games when they were released and they're even more lovely now). Doom 64 is an interesting novelty but not something I'd say is a must play. Similarly, Densha de Go 64 may have a voice control feature (requires a Japanese mic) but it's a foggier Densha de Go 2 so you might as well play then on other platforms. Tetris 64 is a game I've been wanting to import for a while due to the heartbeat sensor but I suspect that's more novelty than superior Tetris version as well. I kind of like Bomberman Hero, but I wouldn't really call it great.

The GameCube is much better since there were quite a few multiplatform games that were pretty good regardless of platform that were an improvement over the PS2 versions.

Instant Sunrise posted:

For whatever reason I have trouble thinking of good recommendations for these systems that aren't super obvious. The platforms are just so clogged with junk that when I start thinking about them my brain goes to all those weird, terrible games for them.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please understand that if you don't own San Francisco Rush on N64, you are missing the best 3rd party racing game on the system.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord

Random Stranger posted:

(no, I didn't forget Goldeneye or Perfect Dark; they were lovely games when they were released and they're even more lovely now).

You're wrong and the rest of your post can be safely disregarded.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Instant Sunrise posted:

Bought it off the eShop for my 3DS.

As did I. I got sick of trying to find a deal for the actual cart. With out looking it up I think DX still is a little pricey but the regular black and white version is significantly cheaper now since everyone wants the color and other bonuses. For a long time I remember them both being worth the same or close to it.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

Please understand that if you don't own San Francisco Rush on N64, you are missing the best 3rd party racing game on the system.

i was gonna make a snarky post about how that's a weird way to spell "Rush 2049" but really that whole series is good.

although 2049 is better played on the dreamcast than on the N64

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

2049 is my favorite game on any platform. Arcade, N64, whatever. It's the best arcade racer ever made.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

Instant Sunrise posted:

Super monkey ball jr, Wario Ware: Twisted

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Ninja Five-O!

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Luigi Thirty posted:

It's the best arcade racer ever made.

I agree that it's good but can't get behind this, perhaps because arcade racing is a genre I'm particularly autistic about but I can think of like 20 games I'd call "the best" before it

edit: also are you talking about games literally released in arcades or arcade-style racing games because if it's the latter my number grows to like 50

d0s fucked around with this message at 03:09 on Jan 28, 2017

XYZ
Aug 31, 2001

Random Stranger posted:

(no, I didn't forget Goldeneye or Perfect Dark; they were lovely games when they were released and they're even more lovely now).

what the gently caress

Kid Fenris
Jan 22, 2004

If someone is reading this...
I must have failed.

Captain Rufus posted:

For the GC Sega did many good things. Monkey Balls. Pso games with local multi.

Yeah, I guess Sega made some goo--

quote:

A revised Skies of Arcadia.

Never mind.

d0s posted:

N64
Beetle Adventure Racing
Mystical Ninja/Goemon
Ogre Battle 64
Wonder Project J2

GC
Baten Kaitos series
Harvest Moon
Lost Kingdoms 1/2

I took out the games that are either published by Nintendo or available elsewhere or just not interesting in my view. I was surprised that the Nintendo 64 had more.

I suspect the Wii U will be sought-after even if history remembers it as an upgraded Wii. It's already kinda hard to come by, it has some great exclusives as well as a pretty broad library through the Virtual Console (I doubt all of that will come to the Switch), and the controller gives it a unique presence.

El Estrago Bonito posted:

The Xbox arguably has even worse third party games than the GC. When people talk about Xbox games that haven't been ported to anything yet (because the good poo poo like Stranger's Wrath has) it's basically just Otogi 2 as the sole game that's worth anything.

Gunvalkyrie, how soon we forget.

Also Panzer Dragoon Orta, but at least that runs on the 360.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Hah, I finally got one of these from work.

https://twitter.com/Rirse/status/825174363594977280

Glad to have a NES Classic finally since the modding options for it sound great now. It a nice alt option to my RGB modded NES 2 and Everdrive.

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar

RZA Encryption posted:

Super monkey ball jr

Mario & Luigi: Superstar Saga is one of the best Mario games you can get on the GBA by a few miles, the music is amazing and the game is just generally fun.

Golden Sun 1 and 2 have aged horribly, but you don't have to take my word for it.

Mario Golf and Mario Tennis are both pretty great games, both on the GBC and GBA. As a bonus, they link up with the N64 and Gamecube games for some extra benefits :toot:

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Kid Fenris posted:

I took out the games that are either published by Nintendo or available elsewhere or just not interesting in my view. I was surprised that the Nintendo 64 had more.

I suspect the Wii U will be sought-after even if history remembers it as an upgraded Wii. It's already kinda hard to come by, it has some great exclusives as well as a pretty broad library through the Virtual Console (I doubt all of that will come to the Switch), and the controller gives it a unique presence.

Like it's kinda weird that you remove games just cause they're "not interesting" to you or whatever to make your case, also seriously the virtual console? Like any modern console can be turned into an emulator box with every game on it. Also so what if Nintendo themselves published another developer's work, IDK how that disqualifies it as a third party title in all but the most lawyerly nitpicky sense. Sin and Punishment is definitely a Treasure game, not a Nintendo game.

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 28, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
Yeah like Virtual Console selection still loving sucks and there's no excuse after like 11 years of it.

Plus we're at the point where the web browser on the Xbox One can run HTML5 based emulators at full speed, it's crazy. (This also works on PS4's browser too I think, but I don't have one to test with). No need to even hack poo poo, it's just right there online. This won't let you run like N64 games or newer but it's still nice.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

fishmech posted:

Yeah like Virtual Console selection still loving sucks and there's no excuse after like 11 years of it.

It doesn't if the only games you like are from top 10 lists on Kotaku, you know the "interesting" ones

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Hopefully the Switch will launch with a bigger VC library but I think Nintendo is going to Nintendo it for the third time in a row.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

I'm not sure that there is much overlap in the venn diagram of people who are interested in deep cuts from the old days and people who can't already play those games 10 different ways for free

e: that's to say, I don't think nintendo has the incentive to do it, not that it wouldn't be good if they did

d0s fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 28, 2017

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kid Fenris posted:

Yeah, I guess Sega made some goo--

Never mind.

Woah, hold on. Did you just loving badmouth Skies of Arcadia? The improved version, no less? :toughguy:

Yes I know the soundtrack took a quality dive.

d0s posted:

I'm not sure that there is much overlap in the venn diagram of people who are interested in deep cuts from the old days and people who can't already play those games 10 different ways for free

e: that's to say, I don't think nintendo has the incentive to do it, not that it wouldn't be good if they did

They farmed the job out to the NES Mini guys. Which means those guys now have a major incentive to get VC games out regularly for a steady stream of paycheques.

d0s
Jun 28, 2004

Neddy Seagoon posted:

They farmed the job out to the NES Mini guys. Which means those guys now have a major incentive to get VC games out regularly for a steady stream of paycheques.

I'm sure there will be a steady stream of VC games, just very little people haven't already paid for 3 times

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

d0s posted:

I'm sure there will be a steady stream of VC games, just very little people haven't already paid for 3 times

Okay, fair, I can agree with that. I just hope the offerings tend towards the Wii's than the WiiU's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Okay, fair, I can agree with that. I just hope the offerings tend towards the Wii's than the WiiU's.

Your not happy with stuff like the WiiU VC release for this week, which consisted of Flying Warriors, Kung Fu Heroes, or Little Ninja Brothers?

• Locked thread