Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer

Your Taint posted:

To be honest he should be thinking about it because it's something they teach you in goddamn Little League and the Cubs should insist he work on it in the offseason.

Yes, he's been a great pitcher for us the last 2 years, and even before that in Boston. It's asinine not to expect a goddamn major league not to be versed in the basic fundamentals of the game. It's not unreasonable to think that his inability to hold a runner on first or throwing away a little tapper to the mound could cost us runs and maybe a game or two down the stretch.

Granted, I'd rather have the great pitching and the inability to throw to first than the reverse, but to say that he shouldn't even be thinking about it or not even working on it is pretty dumb.

As someone earlier alluded to it's actually not at all uncommon for pitchers to have trouble throwing to 1st, funny as it is to watch. It's a completely different mechanic and some guys just have the "yips" were it's a mental block more than physical.

It's really been a non-issue for Lester in his career so far, you could even argue it messes with average base runners as they by instinct still don't wan't to take the massive lead that Lester is giving them and gives the catcher a chance for a back pick. I am sure Lester has tried before to work on his pick off during the off season, I doubt it's lack of effort on his part. I'm sure he's just resigned that it's not gonna happen at this point and forcing himself to try it could easily mess with his pitching mechanics. With how well he has pitched these past few years there is no way any team/pitching coach is going to want to mess with him at all. In fact I'm sure the entire org is telling him to not even think about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

seiferguy posted:

This feels weird.

Edit: this is when the Marlins are coming to Seattle, for the record.

The Reds did one like that for Griffey last year when the Mariners were in Cincinnati.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

seiferguy posted:

This feels weird.

Edit: this is when the Marlins are coming to Seattle, for the record.

That's two bobbling heads for the price of one. You don't look a gift horse in it's bobbling mouth you idiot.

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
https://twitter.com/Buster_ESPN/status/824360302636597249

Some pretty sick burns in the replies.

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

Your Taint posted:

To be honest he should be thinking about it because it's something they teach you in goddamn Little League and the Cubs should insist he work on it in the offseason.

Yes, he's been a great pitcher for us the last 2 years, and even before that in Boston. It's asinine not to expect a goddamn major league not to be versed in the basic fundamentals of the game. It's not unreasonable to think that his inability to hold a runner on first or throwing away a little tapper to the mound could cost us runs and maybe a game or two down the stretch.

Granted, I'd rather have the great pitching and the inability to throw to first than the reverse, but to say that he shouldn't even be thinking about it or not even working on it is pretty dumb.

Do you really think that the issue here is just that the guy doesn't practice enough or something?

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

bawfuls posted:

The Rockies may have just straight up overpaid for a reliever with a lot of health risk.

Normally I expect that they pay an expected amount for an old or risky reliever or they overpay for a reliever without a lot of risk but overpaying for a reliever with a lot of risk is a new one.

bewbies posted:

Do you really think that the issue here is just that the guy doesn't practice enough or something?

Yeah, that's definitely not the issue considering he can throw a ball 92 mph with drat good accuracy.

It's Chuck Knoblach syndrome.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/what-causes-yips.htm

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Jan 26, 2017

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Jon Lester just needs to quote Playboy articles when he throws to first.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

https://twitter.com/AmandaSoltero/status/824624708410900481

#NoColonStillRollin is a boss hashtag

bewbies
Sep 23, 2003

Fun Shoe

tadashi posted:

Yeah, that's definitely not the issue considering he can throw a ball 92 mph with drat good accuracy.

It's Chuck Knoblach syndrome.

http://entertainment.howstuffworks.com/what-causes-yips.htm

I think it is more pronounced in pitchers too because the mechanics of pitching are so different from just throwing....to use myself as an example I always played either 3B or SS up through high school and never had any significant issues with throwing the ball to anyone. Then however comes the time when All Left Handed Players Must Choose Either 1B/OF or Become A Pitcher and since I wasn't a very good hitter I was made to pitch. Pitching was easy enough for me, but the focus on pitching mechanics, especially in-game, really messes with just the good old throwing the ball, especially under pressure. I could still play catch and hit the target just fine but I'll be goddamned if I wasn't terrified of a bunt or a dribbler to the mound for about a year or so before it all worked itself out.

In Lester's case I can definitely see how the mental block just became too big/annoying to deal with as his career progressed....kind of like how Wilt Chamberlain just sort of gave up on free throws after years of torturing himself with it.

The Pussy Boss
Nov 2, 2004

Braves are trying to bilk even more money out of Cobb County: http://www.myajc.com/news/local-govt--politics/braves-cobb-spar-over-transportation-projects-suntrust-park/fzOpzDHPcFPvrEPUxYAWiK/

will_colorado
Jun 30, 2007

looks like the Indians are going to be awarded the 2019 all-star game

they last hosted in 1997; Coors was the next year in 1998. Please give Colorado the game for 2020 or 2023; 25th year of the ballpark or the 30th year of the franchise, I would so loving go. :ohdear:

will_colorado fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 27, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Also have another milwaukee all star game please

bawfuls
Oct 28, 2009

Dodger Stadium hasn't hosted an All Star Game since 1980, so get in line newer NL parks!

Kevlar v2.0
Dec 25, 2003

=^•⩊•^=

Wrigley hasn't hosted the ASG in 26 years, with only the Dodgers and Athletics having longer droughts. The renovations at Wrigley and all the neighborhood projects will be completely done by 2020, so I have to imagine that'll bump it up the list.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Let the A's have the ASG, except with special guest host - the LA Dodgers and Dodger Stadium. That way nobody has to go to the Coliseum and everybody wins.

KIM JONG TRILL
Nov 29, 2006

GIN AND JUCHE
I'm content with the Rangers getting it with the new ballpark in like 2020 or whatever.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Marlins are finally hosting one this year....we were supposed to have the 2000 one or something like that I believe, but I'm pretty sure that it was given to another team after Huizenga burned the team down in 1998.

CubsWoo
Aug 17, 2005

Where the big boys RAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGH FUCK YOU
Brett Anderson deal starts at 3.5 million and has the following incentives:

11th start: +500k
14th start: +750k
17th start: +750k
20th, 23rd, 26th start: +1MM each
29+ starts: +1.5MM, max value $10MM

Sydin
Oct 29, 2011

Another spring commute
So he's making 3.5 million, got it.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Rick Renteria went to a high school and cooked up some queso.

Glad to see him get another shot, Ventura was pretty rough there towards the end.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

What?

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

wow, how could you show your face in this thread without seeing the cinematic masterpiece major league ii

Rand alPaul
Feb 3, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Kevlar v2.0 posted:

I find Fredericks of Hollywood always fixes my yips.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

This is how Micah Johnson learned he was traded

quote:

$5.8 million for public roads inside the mixed-use development;
$5.7 million for elevated walkways over two outside roads;
$2.2 million for pedestrian improvements between the ballpark and satellite parking lots

$500,000 for traffic signals and a truck staging lane on Circle 75 Parkway

It appears all but the traffic signals, at a cost of $490,000, have already been financed by the team and are under construction.

Yeah, this is all poo poo developers normally pay for if they want to build something on land that doesn't have those amenities already. If the Braves didn't specifically negotiate for reimbursement for these things up front, it's the price of doing business.

I used to work for a developer and the company paid for all sorts of public use things. They paid to extend a county road so that it would connect between two parallel roads near a development. They paid $100k to build a park across the street from one development, etc. It's just the cost of doing business and it's something you are supposed to work out with the city/county before you start building.

tadashi fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 27, 2017

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down

R.D. Mangles posted:

Rick Renteria went to a high school and cooked up some queso.

Glad to see him get another shot, Ventura was pretty rough there towards the end.

"Towards the end"???

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

R.D. Mangles posted:

The way the Cubs treated him two years ago was just so unbelievably lovely.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
Just popping in to give you guys and awesome piece of baseball trickery, about 12 years before "Little Big League" did it...

https://www.facebook.com/NCAACWS/videos/10154066019006640/

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

Your Taint posted:

Just popping in to give you guys and awesome piece of baseball trickery, about 12 years before "Little Big League" did it...

https://www.facebook.com/NCAACWS/videos/10154066019006640/

Is it not a balk just because he took that exaggerated step off the rubber first or were the rules just different back then?

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

It's not really an exaggerated step, he stepped off the rubber the same way any pitcher does, though generally when they do that it's to call time or whatever.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
Yeah once you step off the rubber you can do pretty much anything you want, including a fake throw to first.

tadashi
Feb 20, 2006

I love it when baseball players acknowledge they read things written about them.

https://twitter.com/El_Coffee/status/825033658817843200

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Timby posted:

The way the Cubs treated him two years ago was just so unbelievably lovely.

I mean... if one of the best managers in baseball becomes available right before your window opens what can you do. You don't let Joe Maddon slip away for Rick Renteria. I swear to god Cubs fans here would be happier if we had not won the World Series.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

Opening Day tickets get :toot:

Explosionface
May 30, 2011

We can dance if we want to,
we can leave Marle behind.
'Cause your fiends don't dance,
and if they don't dance,
they'll get a Robo Fist of mine.

beejay posted:

I mean... if one of the best managers in baseball becomes available right before your window opens what can you do. You don't let Joe Maddon slip away for Rick Renteria. I swear to god Cubs fans here would be happier if we had not won the World Series.

Being happy with the Cubs winning the WS in '16 has nothing to do with stating that Renteria was treated extremely shittily by the Cubs.

Senf
Nov 12, 2006

N: The A's just announced that they are providing free food at their free Fanfest tomorrow.

V: I am confused because it's the A's.

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry
They're stress testing their plumbing, no doubt.

Petanque
Apr 14, 2008

Ca va bien aller
White Sox sign Peter Bourjos, now to learn how to pronounce his last name.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Explosionface posted:

Being happy with the Cubs winning the WS in '16 has nothing to do with stating that Renteria was treated extremely shittily by the Cubs.

Firing him after being up front and communicative throughout the process isn't really that lovely.

Pancakes
May 21, 2001

Crypto-Rump Roast

John Wilkes Booth posted:

White Sox sign Peter Bourjos, now to learn how to pronounce his last name.

Just keep repeating "Gorgeous Bourjos" to yourself. It'll sink in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Dog
Oct 16, 2008

Who threw this cat at me?
Clapping Larry

Pancakes posted:

Just keep repeating "Gorgeous Bourjos" to yourself. It'll sink in.

It is no accident that they rhyme.

Also how is Bourjos 30 years old he still looks 20. I remember his 2011 season and thinking he'd be our CF of the future but then he very quickly got replaced after he stunk it up. :mad: :mad: :mad:

• Locked thread