Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer

Ariong posted:

I had a feeling about that. Is the player's handbook super unclear about which spell goes to which class or something? I understand that concessions have to be made for podcasting (no spell prep was a good choice) but this seems like a fair place to draw the line. If Magnus can't cast a crazy Warlock spell, Taako shouldn't be able to cast a crazy Warlock spell.

Every spellcasting class has a slightly different mechanic, but in general yes, in the spells section of the PHB it lists each class and the spells at each level they can know. There's a lot of overlap in that most spells more than one class can learn, but Hunger of Hadar is very specifically warlock only.

This is a really fantastic website for 5e spells that is a LOT easier to navigate than the PHB

http://www.dndmagic.com/

Here's specifically the entry for Hunger of Hadar: http://www.dndmagic.com/?id=185

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Asiina posted:

Every spellcasting class has a slightly different mechanic, but in general yes, in the spells section of the PHB it lists each class and the spells at each level they can know. There's a lot of overlap in that most spells more than one class can learn, but Hunger of Hadar is very specifically warlock only.

This is a really fantastic website for 5e spells that is a LOT easier to navigate than the PHB

http://www.dndmagic.com/

Here's specifically the entry for Hunger of Hadar: http://www.dndmagic.com/?id=185

This is cool.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I'm nowhere near this suffering arc, but it sounds really good.

snucks
Nov 3, 2008

Try again. Fail again. Fail better.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I'm nowhere near this suffering arc, but it sounds really good.
It's the most on-rails the story has been, but I think Griffin intended it to be so oppressively on-rails that the characters would end up focusing on breaking the narrative in interesting ways. We haven't really gotten much of that yet, partly because I think the basics of building the atmosphere, resolving combat and long-term penalties has taken much longer than expected, and partly because Tres Horny Boys are being uncharacteristically cautious. I was expecting the Rule of Threes to come into play today and break down the game, but given Griffin's post it sounds like we can expect that next episode instead?

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

snucks posted:

It's the most on-rails the story has been, but I think Griffin intended it to be so oppressively on-rails that the characters would end up focusing on breaking the narrative in interesting ways. We haven't really gotten much of that yet, partly because I think the basics of building the atmosphere, resolving combat and long-term penalties has taken much longer than expected, and partly because Tres Horny Boys are being uncharacteristically cautious. I was expecting the Rule of Threes to come into play today and break down the game, but given Griffin's post it sounds like we can expect that next episode instead?

I think they've also hesitated because of the red robe, so Griffin's been trying to keep them going through the loop to this point

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

There's also the fact that the show has gone on break every other episode for the last few months, so the arc's been going for twice as long as it should have been. What's taken us three months would have been done in one and a half. It's more annoying when the show makes a slight amount of progress when you're waiting a whole month for an episode than just two weeks. That's not to discredit any other observations about it, it is quite on rails. I'm just saying the real time pacing has exacerbated it a bit.

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
I'm enjoying the suffering game because I, too, love to suffer.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

inthesto posted:

Honestly, the one I thought where Griffin would be a motherfucker was when he asked Merle to give up his memories of his arch-nemesis. From a meta-game standpoint, that's an easy yes because it doesn't really affect anything and the guy isn't going to show up in the campaign (probably), but it still hurt to hear. I probably would have actually yelled "Griffin, you motherfucker" if he had chosen the memories of Julia instead.

Oh I so wish he had. I mean Magnus would have absolutely refused and chosen to spin the wheel twice, which might be the only reason Griffin picked something else - they're running too long as it is. But it would have been awesome.

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I think we all knew what it was when he said "Trav, I have so many ways to hurt you..." and then picked "the second worst" one.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I hope Tres Horny Boys manage to spring Cam from Wonderland, because returning to the moon base with him in tow is going to be a glorious disaster. Let's not forget the two guards Magnus kidnapped and got killed.

Evelyn Nesbit
Jul 8, 2012

Do the other two know about what Magnus figured out in that episode/the boys that he trapped and killed? It's been, you know, over three months since that episode.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
I'm pretty sure Magnus hasn't been sharing any of that poo poo. Like I don't think he's talked about maybe being a Redcloak or direct chatting with the Voidfish or anything.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm extremely curious what would have changed if True Sight wasn't in play.
Having Magnus' special visitor around adds a whole new dynamic.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008
Hey... what would have happened if four-hit-points-Cam had gotten hit by that fireball? I might call bullshit on that nat 20

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
I thought for sure they were going to just start refusing every punishment and force a confrontation. I don't think Griffin has been trying to keep them inside the loop. I think Cam was meant to push them out of it, but they've ignored his advice not to play, and now the red robe is the narrative out Griffin has built in to force them into some action other than voluntarily getting beaten down over and over until they die.

Boss Rush is pretty cool, but they kinda already did a boss rehash at the end of Crystal Kingdom.

pray for my aunt
Feb 13, 2012

14980c8b8a96fd9e279796a61cf82c9c
Yeah, I was hoping for Spin -> Penalty -> Spin -> Penalty -> Spin until they overflowed to -128 penalties.

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

I don't think Griffin has been trying to keep them inside the loop. I think Cam was meant to push them out of it, but they've ignored his advice not to play

Oh, I don't think they should be listening to Cam. I still don't trust that guy. I can't imagine the actual solution is just "always choose forsake."

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

showbiz_liz posted:

Oh, I don't think they should be listening to Cam. I still don't trust that guy. I can't imagine the actual solution is just "always choose forsake."

Alright, guys. Time for some game theory... (1/72)

showbiz_liz
Jun 2, 2008

The Modern Leper posted:

Alright, guys. Time for some game theory... (1/72)

Yeah except in game theory where both parties know there will be repeated iterations, it is actually more advantageous to NOT gently caress each other over

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Right. They've basically had a tit for tat - the boys trusted once and got burned, forsook once and burned - this episode ends with a mutual trust, so they should be good if they continue (though I can't imagine more than one or two cycles before Griffin forces the narrative forward).

EDIT: gently caress. 0 for 2. I'm just going to stop talking.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Jan 27, 2017

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

showbiz_liz posted:

The pro-forsake argument is, if you rank the outcomes from 1 (best) to 4 (worst), Trust can give you outcome 2 or 4, while forsake gives you outcome 1 or 3. This makes forsake better on average, especially since it guarantees avoidance of the deadliest outcome. Then, if you assume the other player has probably followed the same logic and prefers forsake, it creates a sort of feedback loop where trust gets even more dangerous.

But as showbiz_liz just linked, the repetitions make a difference; as the players recognize the situation they're all in, it becomes worthwhile to establish a policy of mutual collective trust, consistently producing outcome 2 for everyone.

That being said, as executed in this campaign, Griffin is simply rolling a die to see what the other players do; we don't know how he's weighted the odds, but the enemy decision is random rather than rational or social, and because of that I'm inclined to think forsake remains top dog.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
Yeah, in the case of a random roll it's back to not being repeated iterations, so forsake will always produce a better result.

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

What are they going to do when they get the Bell? They can't go back to the BoB, because they're obviously doing shady poo poo, but they can't carry the bell around either and I don't think they'll trust the Red Robes with it.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I think Griffin's deliberately giving them enough dirt on Lucretia to keep their options open. Her crimes and deceptions might justify turning against the BoB outright, or they might serve as leverage in negotiating clemency for Magnus.

My prediction: Magnus goes on trial in the next lunar interlude, Angus is his lawyer, and the big bad launches some kind of attack just before the verdict is reached.

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009

Supercar Gautier posted:

That being said, as executed in this campaign, Griffin is simply rolling a die to see what the other players do; we don't know how he's weighted the odds, but the enemy decision is random rather than rational or social, and because of that I'm inclined to think forsake remains top dog.

That's assuming Griffin isn't just rolling a die to have the sound of a dice rolling. Would be easier than to prepare three encounters for each situation.

timp
Sep 19, 2007

Everything is in my control
Lipstick Apathy

ElNarez posted:

That's assuming Griffin isn't just rolling a die to have the sound of a dice rolling. Would be easier than to prepare three encounters for each situation.

That could be, especially since it worked out so well (one of each scenario except for double forsake) but OTOH it seemed like the penalties were just modifiers. In the first one they have to fight two monsters instead of one. Maybe if they had got boned in the most recent episode, each boss would have had double the HP or something minor* like that

*minor in that the change itself is small but obviously that would be a huge change to deal with and essentially double the length of the fight

Asiina
Apr 26, 2011

No going back
Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb8G3et5fPY

here comes cask
Jul 7, 2003

goddamn those dudes are ugly

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur
Mar 16, 2006

GOOD LUCK!!

here comes cask posted:

goddamn those dudes are ugly

Cool first post in the thread, I'm sure you're here in good faith and not here to bum everyone out.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

for all of CO's flaws the community always was pretty neat so I'm willing to believe that crowd of loving lunatics 100% into KNIFE DAD was a fairly even split between Monster Factory fans and CO people who just saw some stupid poo poo going down and were all 'yea ok'

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

showbiz_liz posted:

Hey... what would have happened if four-hit-points-Cam had gotten hit by that fireball? I might call bullshit on that nat 20

About the same thing that would have happened after he took half damage for his successful save...

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Raar_Im_A_Dinosaur posted:

Cool first post in the thread, I'm sure you're here in good faith and not here to bum everyone out.

I mean, most of them were pretty ugly. It seems like that game makes it pretty hard to make a character with non- horrifying proportions.

On the other hand, meeting the My Sons roster was also the best part of the video. Knife Dad's Gay Daughter, the guy from Accounts Recievable, Bucket, all very good boys.

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Ariong posted:

I mean, most of them were pretty ugly. It seems like that game makes it pretty hard to make a character with non- horrifying proportions.

On the other hand, meeting the My Sons roster was also the best part of the video. Knife Dad's Gay Daughter, the guy from Accounts Recievable, Bucket, all very good boys.

They weren't responding to the new Monster Factory. They commented on the cold open trailer of the SeeSo show calling the brothers ugly.

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

Ariong posted:

Not all heroes wear capes. Some are composed entirely of knives.

VVV

Yeah hes being a bit poo poo.

Just Offscreen fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Jan 27, 2017

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

Get bashed, platonist!

Poor Miserable Gurgi posted:

They weren't responding to the new Monster Factory. They commented on the cold open trailer of the SeeSo show calling the brothers ugly.

Oh. Well that's a rude thing to say.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Ariong posted:

Monking is such a solid joke, I love it. I think this is one of those videos where you could watch it fifty times and spot something new. I just saw a player named 'Muscles The Wizard' and it's just a buff wizard.

Some very talented Monster Factory fans.

well why not fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Jan 27, 2017

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
I wish we'd gotten a better glimpse of "Taako but with a Missile Launcher"

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
Listening to this week's Sawbone on health insurance. Angry Sydnee McElroy is just as great (maybe better) than exasperated Justin McElroy.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Turns out MMOs are awesome if you command a legion of fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Knife Dad ascending to his final form as Fitness Jesus is one of the best endings a Monster Factory's ever had.