Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
predicto
Jul 22, 2004

THE DEM DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Metapod posted:

The gently caress is this bullshit Durant is absolutely a great playmaker

Goddamit I didn't say KD was not a playmaker we are way off track here

People were saying that Draymond didn't belong in the ASG and stole Gobert's spot.

I responded that Hayward was the least deserving all-star pick on the west team, not Draymond.

People countered that Hayward belonged there because he is a great playmaker as well as a scorer.

I'm not saying Hayward sucks, but I'm saying that he is not a standout as a playmaker at the NBA level, because if he is, there are like 75 great playmakers in the NBA. His playmaking doesn't set him apart.

Gobert should be in New Orleans instead of Hayward. If Gobert can't play, KAT should be there instead of Hayward. After that, Lamarcus Aldridge maybe should be there instead of Hayward (maybe not, not sure).

Moreover, Chris Paul, CJ McCollum and Mike Conley should be there instead of Klay, for similar reasons.

On the other hand, Draymond should be there because he belongs there.

:colbert: :colbert: :colbert:

predicto fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Dejan Bimble posted:

I like the Kevin Durant passes that are really handoffs because his arms are so freakishly long
I like watching Kevin Durant lose in the nba playoffs. Hope we get to see a lot of that this year.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
I'm glad Marc made it and I don't even care who knows it

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

straight up brolic posted:

Bill Simmons legitimately thinks that Jamal Crawford is better than Austin Rivers

Bill Simmons thinks Bill Russell was better than Wilt

Bill Simmons is always wrong

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler

quote:

and the Celtics float them a couple of their good picks that are not the Brooklyn picks

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Dejan Bimble posted:

I'm sorry to dogpile on you, but that is the opposite of Gordon Hayward's game. He's good because he can do everything on offense, in fact a more accurate insult would be jack of all trades, master of none. He can catch t he ball and attack the rim, he can make jumpers from the elbows and three point line, he has some tricky floaters and step backs, he passes well and can run either side of the pnr. He's not great beyond compare at any of those things, but his versatility has helped keep Utah afloat while their team boat was filled with the holes what we call injuries

Hey, dogpile away, I'm starting to like it :forkbomb:

Actually, this thread has given me greater respect for Hayward already. I had no idea his TS% was as high as it is.

Draymond still belongs in New Orleans ( :colbert: until the end of time )

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

After all, I was nice in ball,
Came to practice weed scented
Report card like the speed limit

:homebrew::homebrew::homebrew:

predicto posted:

Goddamit I didn't say KD was not a playmaker we are way off track here

People were saying that Draymond didn't belong in the ASG and stole Gobert's spot.

I responded that Hayward was the least deserving all-star pick on the west team, not Draymond.

People countered that Hayward belonged there because he is a great playmaker as well as a scorer.

I'm not saying Hayward sucks, but I'm saying that he is not a standout as a playmaker at the NBA level, because if he is, there are like 75 great playmakers in the NBA. His playmaking doesn't set him apart.

Gobert should be in New Orleans instead of Hayward. If Gobert can't play, KAT should be there instead of Hayward. After that, Lamarcus Aldridge maybe should be there instead of Hayward (maybe not, not sure).

Moreover, Chris Paul, CJ McCollum and Mike Conley should be there instead of Klay, for similar reasons.

On the other hand, Draymond should be there because he belongs there.

:colbert: :colbert: :colbert:
No, you said he was a one trick pony, which he is absolutely not. He is a good passer, versatile defender, one of the 10 best scorers in the NBA, and not a very good rebounder. He's not a player that should be in the all-star game on the merit of playmaking, but he is a good playmaker who can create shots for himself and others and it is an important facet of his game. He's better than Gasol, KAT, and Klay by like almost any all in one metric. He shouldn't be on the chopping block.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Brad Stevens owes his whole career to shelvin Mack and Haywood

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

predicto posted:

counterpoint - 7.5 assists per game (8th in the league) and a 3.3 assist/turnover ratio for a defensive stopper.

Lebron is the only other front court player in the top 30 in assists.

I'm a bigger Draymond fan than most in this forum, but generating assists as a facilitator on a team with Curry, Durant, and Thompson is not some herculean feat. He's going to be one of top assist guys just by virtue of handling the ball a lot on a team with those shooters

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

No, you said he was a one trick pony, which he is absolutely not. He is a good passer, versatile defender, one of the 10 best scorers in the NBA, and not a very good rebounder. He's not a player that should be in the all-star game on the merit of playmaking, but he is a good playmaker who can create shots for himself and others and it is an important facet of his game. He's better than Gasol, KAT, and Klay by like almost any all in one metric. He shouldn't be on the chopping block.

Fair enough, I am getting edumacated here. I'm not sure I quite buy Top 10 scorer in the NBA yet, but I have much more respect for him than before.

I agree Hayward is better than Klay by all in one metrics. I likewise will continue to assert that Draymond is better than Hayward by all in one metrics.

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
We live and we learn. Except Marc rules

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

:lol:

Athanatos posted:

Just get rid of positions and take the best players; if your all star roster is all guards, then so be it.

The ASG has effectively turned into a 3P exhibition. Only let in 40%+ 3P guys IMO.

Lockback posted:

Durant is a super efficient scorer, he should try to score.

On a per minute basis Durant has become the supreme scorer in NBA history. Surpassing even Adrian Dantley.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

predicto posted:

Fair enough, I am getting edumacated here. I'm not sure I quite buy Top 10 scorer in the NBA yet, but I have much more respect for him than before.

I agree Hayward is better than Klay by all in one metrics. I likewise will continue to assert that Draymond is better than Hayward by all in one metrics.
No worries! Draymond vs. Hayward is a better debate. I think it's close, but both players are good.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

How can the Bulls not fire John Paxson and Gar Forman after all this?
http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/rosenblog/ct-bulls-changes-john-paxson-gar-forman-rosenbloom-20170127-column.html

even in 25mpg Embiid is averaging 20ppg, 8 reb, and 2.5 blocks on 58TS% with 36%USG, run that through your computer pipe and smoke it through a series of tubes.

The Glumslinger posted:

I mean, Embiid is only a year younger than Anthony Davis, he is very impressive for a rookie, but he is old as hell for a rookie

Cumulative stats are superior to per game stats. Per game stats are misleading especially as minutes are lowered. He's not even playing enough minutes to qualify for the stat leaderboard. I think he's doing fine but he's getting major hype.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Embiid is already better than Paul Millsap despite the limited minutes, so

In some ways yes, but he's already had to miss 1/3rd of his games in very limited minutes. If he was on the Bulls I wouldn't even want him playing in an exhibition. Let's not forget what happened to Paul George.

Last thing anybody wants is some guy who's not 100% to start showboating in front of his peers and turn into a hot dog and injure himself.

Cool Buff Man posted:

Woj confirmed Kanter broke his forearm. What a dipshit.

Doing it on live TV. Very embarrassing!

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Zogo posted:

Cumulative stats are superior to per game stats. Per game stats are misleading especially as minutes are lowered.

Aw hell yeah we need a per game stat defender to get in the mf thunderdome with zogobot

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Papercut posted:

I'm a bigger Draymond fan than most in this forum, but generating assists as a facilitator on a team with Curry, Durant, and Thompson is not some herculean feat. He's going to be one of top assist guys just by virtue of handling the ball a lot on a team with those shooters

Draymond didn't have Durant on the team last year, and finished 7th in the NBA in assists per game, behind 6 point guards. He also was 13th in rebounds, arguably the best defender or at least top 2, and led the league in testicles kicked.

Dray's the whole package, and he would score more on another team that didn't have all those other shooters. Maybe not quite as much as Hayward scores, but quite a bit more than he does now.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

NickRoweFillea posted:

Aw hell yeah we need a per game stat defender to get in the mf thunderdome with zogobot

let me travel back in time and find some bulls fans citing the per of tyrus thomas

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

predicto posted:

Draymond didn't have Durant on the team last year, and finished 7th in the NBA in assists per game, behind 6 point guards. He also was 13th in rebounds, arguably the best defender or at least top 2, and led the league in testicles kicked.

Dray's the whole package, and he would score more on another team that didn't have all those other shooters. Maybe not quite as much as Hayward scores, but quite a bit more than he does now.

What does this have to do with what he's doing this year?

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
the hardest moment of a parent's life is when he has to trade his son away to the new york knickerbockers

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18568627/los-angeles-clippers-son-austin-rivers-table-trade-doc-rivers-says

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

NickRoweFillea posted:

We live and we learn. Except Marc rules
I'm still living in the alternate reality where the Spurs got Marc instead of LMA
It's pretty cool

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

chunkles posted:

the hardest moment of a parent's life is when he has to trade his son away to the new york knickerbockers

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18568627/los-angeles-clippers-son-austin-rivers-table-trade-doc-rivers-says

You'd think Doc would be glad for an excuse not to talk to him for another few years

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I'm still living in the alternate reality where the Spurs got Marc instead of LMA
It's pretty cool

In that world I have shot myself in the head with the Albert-01R, the powerful pistol you unlock after beating Resident Evil VII biohazard for the first time

Boosh!
Apr 12, 2002
Oven Wrangler
https://mobile.twitter.com/KennyDucey/status/825140327069671426

Jota
May 6, 2003

uga-booga uga-booga

Spacebump posted:

Pierre Jackson got injured last night and was on his second 10 day contract with the Mavs. I wish that didn't happen. I wanted them to sign him long term. Today they signed someone named Yogi Ferrell in his place. Really disappointed in this turn of events. The Cavs should sign Jackson once he is healthy, he is an underrated playmaker.

Pierre Jackson is cool and I was always rooting for him but he just can not stay healthy and his injuries keep coming at the worst times.

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

euphronius posted:

Brad Stevens owes his whole career to shelvin Mack and Haywood

Lmao yeah okay.

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

Papercut posted:

What does this have to do with what he's doing this year?

Papercut said Draymond was just getting easy assists because of Durant, Curry and Klay. I was pointing out that he got terrific assist numbers last year, before Durant.

The fact is, the Warriors offense runs through Draymond. When he is out, it becomes a lot more conventional, with post ups by Sean Livingston, more isos and more simple drive and kicks. It is silly to try to downplay his passing ability. He's the best passing big man in the league outside Lebron.

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

No that's Jokic

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

Cool Buff Man posted:

You'd think Doc would be glad for an excuse not to talk to him for another few years

:agreed:

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Hahahahahahhaahhahahahahahahhahahahahhahahahahhh

I'm on my phone squinting like "Is that a Dutch name? Mongolian? African?"

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
why not fix the real problem
http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=gpjv89b

predicto
Jul 22, 2004

The real reason that Hayward doesn't belong in the all star game is because he has Richard Spencer's neonazi haircut

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
Hayward deserves his spot by dint of being insanely handsome. And also by being pretty good at basketball things.

pubic works project
Jan 28, 2005

No Decepticon in history, and I say this with great surety, has been treated worse or more unfairly.

predicto posted:

The real reason that Hayward doesn't belong in the all star game is because he has Richard Spencer's neonazi haircut

More like Richard Spencer has Hayward's cool haircut.

straight up brolic
Jan 31, 2007

Gordong Bombay is the most handsome NBA player ever -- white man division

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

White LeBron

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Can I admit something? Sometimes I have confused Hayward with Jimmer in my mind, and this has sometimes caused me to underrate Hayward.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

Kibner posted:

Just heard on some national ESPN show that there was a rumor during Butler's original contract extension negotiations, the Bulls front office threatened to have him either accept his four-year-$44MM contract or they will have Tony Snell take his minutes to depress his numbers so that he won't get anything better in free agency the next year. Thibs then said gently caress that noise and that he would play Butler over Snell regardless.

I think it was on the Kinell show but it wasn't Kinell who said the rumor.

Wouldn't surprise me. The story with Deng was they called him up to the office without his agent, put a 3-year $30 million contract in front of him, and said he had to sign it before he left the room or they were trading him. When he said no they put out a BS story claiming Deng was demanding $15 million a year.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
I hope the Bulls never win anything of consequence ever again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Noctone posted:

I hope the Bulls never win anything of consequence ever again.

don't worry

• Locked thread