Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

The McDonalds classic:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Actually I believe youll find it infects you with the Islamic virus and converts you to Islam without your knowing.

A sikh who eats halal meat (or any meat killed in a ritualistic manner) is no longer regarded as a proper sikh, so it's a big deal for some.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Alhazred posted:

A sikh who eats halal meat (or any meat killed in a ritualistic manner) is no longer regarded as a proper sikh, so it's a big deal for some.

Don't most religions with those restrictions also usually say that it doesn't count if it's against your knowledge or will?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I'm not even really an atheist, but it's almost impossible not to feel overwhelmingly smug that I can just eat a loving sandwich without having to think about any of that dumb bullshit.

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

chitoryu12 posted:

Don't most religions with those restrictions also usually say that it doesn't count if it's against your knowledge or will?

Every religious rule has an asterix next to it just in case it'll benefit the church in the future.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

bongwizzard posted:

I'm not even really an atheist, but it's almost impossible not to feel overwhelmingly smug that I can just eat a loving sandwich without having to think about any of that dumb bullshit.

Goon, while slobbering on a Big Mac: "heh heh, I'm so enlightened"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Low Desert Punk posted:

Goon, while slobbering on a Big Mac: "heh heh, I'm so enlightened"

Actually, today is a bulgogi "cheesesteak" on a nice baguette it's a poo poo ton of pickled vegetables shoved in there.

I mean anyway you look at it, the idea of an all powerful, all-knowing, all loving God, who also really cares what you have for lunch seem sort of odd at best.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

chitoryu12 posted:

Doesn't seem that way: https://translate.google.com/transl...t-text=&act=url

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
I'd be willing to bet that for most cultures with dietary restrictions, the set of beliefs that shapes their world outlook and culture is much more important than getting to eat some mediocre goon food that they might not like anyway. Kosher observant Jews don't sit around all day like "God drat, if only I could eat a Baconator"

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Low Desert Punk posted:

I'd be willing to bet that for most cultures with dietary restrictions, the set of beliefs that shapes their world outlook and culture is much more important than getting to eat some mediocre goon food that they might not like anyway. Kosher observant Jews don't sit around all day like "God drat, if only I could eat a Baconator"

Any culture that hates on a bacon cheeseburger is pretty lame imho.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

bongwizzard posted:

Actually, today is a bulgogi "cheesesteak" on a nice baguette it's a poo poo ton of pickled vegetables shoved in there.

I mean anyway you look at it, the idea of an all powerful, all-knowing, all loving God, who also really cares what you have for lunch seem sort of odd at best.

I remember reading that most religious diet restrictions forbade eating food that was often disease ridden and improperly prepared thousands of years ago (I.e. Most meats and seafood) so it can be interpreted as safety guidelines that aren't really labeled as safety guidelines.

SatansOnion
Dec 12, 2011

Zinkraptor posted:

I remember reading that most religious diet restrictions forbade eating food that was often disease ridden and improperly prepared thousands of years ago (I.e. Most meats and seafood) so it can be interpreted as safety guidelines that aren't really labeled as safety guidelines.

I also heard something once that the ancient prohibition of pork had something to do with how pigs eat many of the same things humans do, which made feeding them essentially taking food out of the mouths of people around you. Since I am not a paleofoodologist, however, I may well be wrong :shrug:

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Zinkraptor posted:

That makes sense, but also makes sense to scrap them in modern times when it's not needed. Growing up poor always had to be well done, but now it's OK to have a medium rare thick fuckin pork chop. Religion is great when It tells you to be nice and treat all men as your brothers, it's highly lame when it tells you what not to eat for lunch.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Trichinosis is a curse from God for disobeying holy diet.

Also probably shellfish allergies, God did it, he hates when you eat shellfish.

God didn't bother creating the FDA lol

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

SatansOnion posted:

I also heard something once that the ancient prohibition of pork had something to do with how pigs eat many of the same things humans do, which made feeding them essentially taking food out of the mouths of people around you. Since I am not a paleofoodologist, however, I may well be wrong :shrug:

Pigs were generally popular food animals because they'll eat literally anything and thrive on it, most farmers weren't feeding them human grade food. There's little reason to when they'll happily eat scraps, carrion, spoiled produce, and other "waste".

It might be true in a sense compared to grass eating herbivores, where their diet obviously can't sustain a human.

A lot of the Jewish food laws are basically "how not to get sick when living in the MENA region at time of writing."

pienipple has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Jan 27, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

It depends on the religion. In the case of Islam it's one of those minor rules that you should endeavor to follow but it isn't a huge deal if you break it sometimes.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Low Desert Punk posted:

Somebody hasn't had to spend most of their life eating turkey bacon, and then tasted the real thing.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, and Catholics aren't supposed to eat red meat on Fridays, but we usually only follow that during Lent.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

ToxicSlurpee posted:

It depends on the religion. In the case of Islam it's one of those minor rules that you should endeavor to follow but it isn't a huge deal if you break it sometimes.

One of the exceptions to the Islam pork ban is "it would be rude to refuse / a burden on my hosts" so... yeah.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Waffleman_ posted:

Yeah, and Catholics aren't supposed to eat red meat on Fridays, but we usually only follow that during Lent.

The catholics also once declared that the capybara was a fish so that they could eat it during lent.

Living Image
Apr 24, 2010

HORSE'S ASS

Alhazred posted:

The catholics also once declared that the capybara was a fish so that they could eat it during lent.

I swear I remember this happening with otters as well. Googling it didn't turn up a result but I did learn that otter fishing is a thing: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Otter_fishing

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yeah. If it would cause harm to you, like refusing a needed medicine because it's pork derived or fasting when you're sick, you're supposed to break the laws. Basically don't hurt yourself to demonstrate devotion, if you need pig insulin to control your diabetes you take it and Allah is glad that you are caring for yourself.

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.

Solice Kirsk posted:

Every religious rule has an asterix next to it just in case it'll benefit the church in the future.

I know it benefited an Obelix, at least.

Alhazred posted:

And thus did the Small Great God Om declare the melon to be bread!

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Waffleman_ posted:

Hardcore Orthodox people fast for 7 weeks before Easter. No meat, not just on Fridays. The really hardcore do it for a few weeks before August 15.
Most people just eat whatever, with only Clean Monday being seafood day.

pienipple posted:

Yeah. If it would cause harm to you, like refusing a needed medicine because it's pork derived or fasting when you're sick, you're supposed to break the laws. Basically don't hurt yourself to demonstrate devotion, if you need pig insulin to control your diabetes you take it and Allah is glad that you are caring for yourself.

I imagine it's under similar rules that say that it's okay for pregnant people and travellers to be more flexible, right?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Serperoth posted:

I imagine it's under similar rules that say that it's okay for pregnant people and travellers to be more flexible, right?

The biggest, major thing is that it's a very minor guideline rather than a rule. Certain animals are considered "unclean" rather than "unholy," hence the whole "it isn't a huge deal if you eat a pig for a good reason" thing. They're to be avoided but aren't totally, 100% banned. The biggest one was already mentioned and if memory serves the Koran explicitly says "this is an example of it being OK" in that if your host serves you pig meat and he doesn't know about the rule you just eat it so you don't offend him. Starvation is another one; if you're starving and all that's available is pig then you eat the pig.

A lot of Americans decided that pig meat is basically Muslim kryptonite after hearing about that rule without realizing that it's just such a minor, not even concrete rule. Part of that is because America is in love with bacon and think that not eating bacon is some sort of unforgivable crime against American culture.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The biggest, major thing is that it's a very minor guideline rather than a rule. Certain animals are considered "unclean" rather than "unholy," hence the whole "it isn't a huge deal if you eat a pig for a good reason" thing. They're to be avoided but aren't totally, 100% banned. The biggest one was already mentioned and if memory serves the Koran explicitly says "this is an example of it being OK" in that if your host serves you pig meat and he doesn't know about the rule you just eat it so you don't offend him. Starvation is another one; if you're starving and all that's available is pig then you eat the pig.

A lot of Americans decided that pig meat is basically Muslim kryptonite after hearing about that rule without realizing that it's just such a minor, not even concrete rule. Part of that is because America is in love with bacon and think that not eating bacon is some sort of unforgivable crime against American culture.

I'm doing a Let's Read of an absolutely awful pulp book series, Superhawks, which is basically just a revenge fantasy about Americans with unlimited budget and zero oversight getting revenge for 9/11 by massacring everyone involved (plus their families and children, and occasionally blowing up civilians just in case). There's a scene in the first book where the protagonists that you're supposed to be rooting for throw dead pigs into a mass grave with dead terrorists as a way of denying them paradise.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

chitoryu12 posted:

I'm doing a Let's Read of an absolutely awful pulp book series, Superhawks, which is basically just a revenge fantasy about Americans with unlimited budget and zero oversight getting revenge for 9/11 by massacring everyone involved (plus their families and children, and occasionally blowing up civilians just in case). There's a scene in the first book where the protagonists that you're supposed to be rooting for throw dead pigs into a mass grave with dead terrorists as a way of denying them paradise.

You can buy bullets coated in pig fat as well as pig fat gun lubricant in America right now for very similar reasons. That, however, is a clever move in marketing; stupid, racist rednecks apparently buy that poo poo up like crazy.

There is also this website which is a dumb move in marketing as it looks like it was made in 1994 by an angsty teenager.

http://www.silverbulletgunoil.net/

Look at this website. Just...look at it. It's like they actively tried to make it as terrible as possible.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

chitoryu12 posted:

That was a bit in the not really written by Tom Clancy Tom Clancy novel The Teeth of the Tiger. The "good guys" shoot a bunch of terrorists who are attacking a mall and then one of the good guys sees a dying terrorist and runs into a sporting goods shop to get a football and tells the terrorist how he just gave him some pigskin.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Americans decided that pig meat is basically Muslim kryptonite .

These people are dumb as gently caress, but I remember this really taking off mostly after a number of newspaper articles like this:

http://www.nbcnews.com/id/17665989/ns/business-us_business/t/target-shifts-muslims-who-wont-ring-pork/#.WIv195-IZpU

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

Much like all religions, there will be Muslims who don't really understand the pork taboo fully and are overly cautious about not dealing with pork at all. I really doubt if you served a large number of Muslims pork, they would all react the same way.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

When I think about it the pork thing is really cultural just as much as anything to do with religion. I can't really justify why I think eating dog is so gross. Dog is probably delicious if raised a certain way and then roasted to perfection. But gently caress no I'm not eating dog.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
I'd really like to try horse, but horse eating countries are rather inconveniently located on the other end of long flights.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?
This article covers the pig taboo pretty thoroughly: https://longreads.com/2015/10/14/i-would-rather-be-herods-pig-the-history-of-a-taboo/

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

Beachcomber posted:

I'd really like to try horse, but horse eating countries are rather inconveniently located on the other end of long flights.

Assuming you're an American, Mexico isn't too far away...

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Horses are legal for slaughter and sale in America, IIRC the issue is that no one has applied for approval on a slaughterhouse large enough to supply anything beyond a very sparsely populated county

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

There was an extremely Muslim full-time clerk who worked at what used to be my regular grocery store. If a pork product in any kind of non-can packaging came across her till, she'd invert a plastic bag over her hand and pick it up like it was dog poop, sometimes while looking at the customer like he/she had just bragged about eating dog poop.

I was always conflicted as to how to feel. She must have really needed the job, but she obviously just hated it.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Horse is loving delicious. And since horses are dumber than pigs, we should be eating them instead. BC SJW Peta Sharia etc.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

The Door Frame posted:

Horses are legal for slaughter and sale in America, IIRC the issue is that no one has applied for approval on a slaughterhouse large enough to supply anything beyond a very sparsely populated county

The ultimate reason is that Americans think of horses are majestic, pretty things that you ride and admire and not eat, ever. Our society just has a taboo against eating horses so nobody is likely to pony up the dough to set up a proper slaughterhouse for it. Why would they bother? Most people would freak the gently caress out and go "you're selling horse?"

CommonShore posted:

Horse is loving delicious. And since horses are dumber than pigs, we should be eating them instead. BC SJW Peta Sharia etc.

Pigs will eat you if they get a chance.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

The ultimate reason is that Americans think of horses are majestic, pretty things that you ride and admire and not eat, ever. Our society just has a taboo against eating horses so nobody is likely to pony up the dough to set up a proper slaughterhouse for it. Why would they bother? Most people would freak the gently caress out and go "you're selling horse?"

Heh, made me giggle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Pigs will eat you if they get a chance.

That's more or less the point I was trying to make. No major distributors want their name next to meat coming off of the animals that represent untamed beauty to America, so only tiny slaughter operations are actually operational after the ban was lifted like 5 or so years ago