Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Xaerael posted:

I like the part where MoMA's too shitscared of defending blatant art theft. GOOD MORALS THERE MoMA!

They used a nebula?! My God. Time to shut down the whole operation. Where do I send in my ticket?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo

Xaerael posted:

I like the part where MoMA's too shitscared of defending blatant art theft. GOOD MORALS THERE MoMA!

Uh Star Citizen and Eve are both inspired by space there's bound to be some minor overlaps :rolleyes:

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Also, been playing E:D some more. Got myself into a Viper MkIV. Totally kicking rear end in Res now and making bank. So close to an upgrade to Vulture. The game is a delight, and the flight model is stunning.

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
Mine was better I think

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

ManofManyAliases posted:

They used a nebula?! My God. Time to shut down the whole operation. Where do I send in my ticket?

That's a hand painted art asset you dipshit.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Tijuana Bibliophile posted:

Seriously though that cancer rant is among the worsest things I've ever read

I check out as soon as he mentions his IQ, then it's all just white noise while I bleed out my eyes.

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

DapperDon posted:

You noticed that too?

Don't doxx me bro. :smithicide:

Tijuana Bibliophile
Dec 30, 2008

Scratchmo
MoMA what's your IQ?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Imagine for a second , burger king takes a poster of a mcdonalds ad, photoshops the burger out, and uses it for their own advertisement.

CIG is in the business of selling pictures for money , it is super disingenuous and probably highly illegal to use someone else's hard work to help sell their product

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

ManofManyAliases posted:

What does the ToS say about theft of art assets?

Ayn Marx
Dec 21, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

No - this has nothing to do with race. This has everything to do with the fact that he's a nutjob that shouldn't be anywhere near other people.

I find Derek Smart quite reasonable if a little facetious at times

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

ManofManyAliases posted:

Just think, if you'd have stolen your TOS too it might have stood up to more than a wet fart.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Tippis posted:

What does the ToS say about theft of art assets?

Nothin really.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

ManofManyAliases posted:

down·play
ˈdounˌplā/
verb
verb: downplay; 3rd person present: downplays; past tense: downplayed; past participle: downplayed; gerund or present participle: downplaying

make (something) appear less important than it really is.
"They used a nebula?! My God. Time to shut down the whole operation"

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

Nothin really.

So if I were to archer the entire cig catalog of jpegs and open up a Web Store tomorrow called 'Star Civilian' with their logo pasted crudely over top , no one would have a problem with it ?

Cool

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sappo569 posted:

So if I were to archer the entire cig catalog of jpegs and open up a Web Store tomorrow called 'Star Civilian' with their logo pasted crudely over top , no one would have a problem with it ?

Cool

Do it. Send me a link after, though. Thanks.

MilesK
Nov 5, 2015

MeLKoR posted:

Can someone put a red circle around it please? :negative:

Here's a better gif.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

nah

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Have any commandos reacted to the new Mass Effect?

quote:

Development of Mass Effect: Andromeda began in 2012. In total, the project featured a team of over 200 developers working out of BioWare's Austin, Edmonton, and Montreal studios. It was built using the Frostbite 3 engine, which required that BioWare construct all systems, tools, and assets from scratch. By April 2014, the game was considered to be in the "middle" of the development process by BioWare studio director Yanick Roy. The game's release date was originally planned for Q4 2016, but was eventually delayed to March 21, 2017.

It doesn't matter that they'll release a game in a shorter amount of time with less people. It won't hold a candle to the awesome that Star Citizen will be. :colbert:

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Sounds like Sappo just snagged his first whale!

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Sounds like Sappo just snagged his first whale!

All I need now is to hire a peice of poo poo to run my community and the money will roll in

Moma you're gonna be looking for work soon , interested?

Canine Blues Arooo
Jan 7, 2008

when you think about it...i'm the first girl you ever spent the night with

Grimey Drawer

ManofManyAliases posted:

Stealing other people's art assets without permission is a real crime. It's called theft!

Real developers don't do this. I hope this is an insightful look into the world of actual video game development :D

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

ManofManyAliases posted:

You just don't understand copyright development :colbert:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sappo569 posted:

All I need now is to hire a peice of poo poo to run my community and the money will roll in

Moma you're gonna be looking for work soon , interested?

Lol no. My degrees mean I never need to work in sales. Thanks though.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

ManofManyAliases posted:

What degree black belt?

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

ManofManyAliases posted:

And look where sandi landed with her degrees

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Sappo569 posted:

And look where sandi landed with her degrees

Decent salary managing a multi-million dollar marketing campaign for a company making a revolutionary game? Sounds good. Sign me up.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Seriously though what's the point of a surface outpost on that dead rock

Gas and mineral mining. Have to put SOMETHING in those boxes made to be full of space stuff!

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

TrustmeImLegit posted:

Hahaha the 'especially awesome' sneak peek is literally called concept.jpg

Crusader Moon Concept Cellin
This week’s sneak peek is of a surface outpost on Cellin, one of Crusader’s moons. Visitors must be careful as the moon has over a hundred dormant volcanoes. This led to it being named Cellin after the youngest sibling in the children’s morality tale, “A Gift for Baba,” who is portrayed as stewing with anger.

Its just a jpg for a moon no ones ever seen.

I'm sure backers are super happy about this. It could have been gameplay, or progress on Sq42 or Star Citizen, or some new development surprise coming in a weekend update.

But no, it's a picture. A picture that looks like an artist drew it, and this is good. Though I'm honestly surprised CIG gave everybody a free jpg in their email. That's basically like giving away money for them. I hope there's plenty of room for grand piano DLC purchased to fill up that base picture.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Any one know how CIG handles someones account if they die? Unfortunately have to ask as a gaming buddy had a stroke and they took him off life support this afternoon.

This is sad. I'm sorry, friend. :(

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

You say there's volcanoes?

Not just volcanoes man. Dormant volcanoes :derp:

I think this is really code words for "Chris is going on vacation in Hawaii again and it has volcanic activity".

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

Any one know how CIG handles someones account if they die? Unfortunately have to ask as a gaming buddy had a stroke and they took him off life support this afternoon.

I am sorry to hear about that. I, however, am sure, knowing CIG's grasp on reality, they will just tell you to wait until he respawns...

And I am honestly sorry, but I am too scarred from the trenches to say anything else.

Also, my submission to the Revenuer Home for Archered Art...

Samizdata fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jan 28, 2017

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

SpaceCurtisLeMay posted:

They keep the money, read the ironclad ToS.

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Decent salary managing a multi-million dollar marketing campaign for a company making a revolutionary game? Sounds good. Sign me up.

I thought they were proudly not buying ad space, and the videos were all paid for by backers subscribing? I could be wrong, how many of the millions pledged to making the game are being spent on marketing?

Shouldn't their marketing budget be almost zero? I thought they relied on word of mouth?

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

marketing is the only thing they've managed to do in 5 years.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Sappo569 posted:

Lol holy poo poo it's so blatant

I used to think they had talented artists working there. But it's clear from the bottom to the top it's just pure incompetence

How can a manager look at that and be like yep that's good enough for a 140m dollar company release it

The programmers are hosed.

There's no way to build the dream game because their talent pool is devastated and the fuzzy, incomprehensible and inadequate designs that fail to work together just don't. It's a broken concept with no thought outside of "oh I have this idea!" from the CEO.

The ONLY people they have left who can produce content is artists.

Now imagine you have to show fake progress, and pretend to be making headway, 5 years into a hopeless project. Now also imagine you are addicted to drugs and money and care nothing about the actual game or your workers. You just want to feel like Scarface 24/7.

You try leaning on your programmers but they can't help you. Programming is actually hard.

So you have your art department. They can whip up poo poo fast, they can build a new model or a new movie to showcase "features" still in "production". They can make art that feigns progress.

Now imagine you are the artists. The whole work load of the company is on your shoulders. There's no game to show, there's no fun gameplay to make things better. There's art. Your art. And the boss is making demands 24/7. From "build me a loving sandworm for my video!" to "we need a loving space motorcycle!" to "I want a Jupiter mining base!" and "concept ships! Concept ships!"

You're going to get burned the gently caress out. I imagine it started off good, where they made stuff and cared. They may have GISd stuff, but they'd put effort into masking it, and it'd never be something from the first 20 results of "moon base" or "nebula".

The art backbone of CIG is showing cracks. Once that's gone, CIG will have literally nothing to fall back on. Every rushed, anger-inspired art piece is one more straw closer to the whole mess coming down. The artists are getting frustrated and I bet they are hugely overwhelmed and overworked, and frankly probably just a little bit upset with how they are treated.

So yeah, gonna use pick #4 in the GIS search for "nebula". Is it ripped off from another game? Don't care, that's what the crop tool is for.

Keep on doing what you're doing, CIG! Continue to be gamings biggest embarrassment for the next couple decades! :allears:

Goobs
Jan 30, 2016

Doxcat is watching you PU.

spacetoaster posted:

Have any commandos reacted to the new Mass Effect?

It doesn't matter that they'll release a game in a shorter amount of time with less people. It won't hold a candle to the awesome that Star Citizen will be. :colbert:

If you read facebook comments or youtube comments on the new trailer this is literally what people with avatars of their fursonas say.

Thoatse
Feb 29, 2016

Lol said the scorpion, lmao

BitBasher posted:

I thought they were proudly not buying ad space, and the videos were all paid for by backers subscribing? I could be wrong, how many of the millions pledged to making the game are being spent on marketing?

Shouldn't their marketing budget be almost zero? I thought they relied on word of mouth?

Their marketing budget is spent on astroturfing outfits like Digital Oasis/Jake DaMeir and shill pieces in Gamestar and likely handlers to shepherd and maintain a flock of missionaries and shills across the internet.

Sarsapariller
Aug 14, 2015

Occasional vampire queen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUTyiMjjf7w

Man, look at all the progress that Dual Universe is making! With that many amazing mechanics in place, I'm sure they've had a team of 300+ people working for at least 10 years.

...Oops! My bad, it's a tiny French studio, with a 500k euro kickstarter, and 7 months of development time.

ManofManyAliases posted:

Is it really marketing though, if you're promoting a product that doesn't exist? I'm pretty sure there's another name for that. Glad you're on board for it though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The Titanic posted:

The programmers are hosed.

There's no way to build the dream game because their talent pool is devastated and the fuzzy, incomprehensible and inadequate designs that fail to work together just don't. It's a broken concept with no thought outside of "oh I have this idea!" from the CEO.

The ONLY people they have left who can produce content is artists.

Now imagine you have to show fake progress, and pretend to be making headway, 5 years into a hopeless project. Now also imagine you are addicted to drugs and money and care nothing about the actual game or your workers. You just want to feel like Scarface 24/7.

You try leaning on your programmers but they can't help you. Programming is actually hard.

So you have your art department. They can whip up poo poo fast, they can build a new model or a new movie to showcase "features" still in "production". They can make art that feigns progress.

Now imagine you are the artists. The whole work load of the company is on your shoulders. There's no game to show, there's no fun gameplay to make things better. There's art. Your art. And the boss is making demands 24/7. From "build me a loving sandworm for my video!" to "we need a loving space motorcycle!" to "I want a Jupiter mining base!" and "concept ships! Concept ships!"

You're going to get burned the gently caress out. I imagine it started off good, where they made stuff and cared. They may have GISd stuff, but they'd put effort into masking it, and it'd never be something from the first 20 results of "moon base" or "nebula".

The art backbone of CIG is showing cracks. Once that's gone, CIG will have literally nothing to fall back on. Every rushed, anger-inspired art piece is one more straw closer to the whole mess coming down. The artists are getting frustrated and I bet they are hugely overwhelmed and overworked, and frankly probably just a little bit upset with how they are treated.

So yeah, gonna use pick #4 in the GIS search for "nebula". Is it ripped off from another game? Don't care, that's what the crop tool is for.

Keep on doing what you're doing, CIG! Continue to be gamings biggest embarrassment for the next couple decades! :allears:

A good post :golfclap: