Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

yippee cahier posted:

New Zealand has proportional Maori representation, country doesn't appear to be a failed state or an example of apartheid. Any real reason it couldn't work here?

Aren't they also ridiculously racist and with similar problems around indigenous populations being overly represented in terms of poverty, alcohol abuse, etc?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Skippy Granola posted:

OK but America shows all the hallmarks of a fascist state so Mulcair isn't wrong.

To whit:

Authoritarian policies
A nostalgia for a bygone era of influence
High valuation of youth and vigour
Reliance on a nebulously defined external enemy for legitimacy
High levels of nationalism
A "with us or against us" attitude toward national identity
Extreme value placed on national symbols

I think that covers most of the bases and draws strong parallels to Italian fascism

Anyway, long story short Mulcair is right, it's news to nobody, and he's still an inconsequential bearded gnome.

By this standard practically every country ever prior to the 1960s, and quite a few countries today, would be considered fascist.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Helsing posted:

By this standard practically every country ever prior to the 1960s, and quite a few countries today, would be considered fascist.

Is that your way of endorsing the standard?

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I think it's a mistake for Beardo to call Trump a fascist. It might play well with his base, maybe, but for everyone else the conversation will end up being a discussion of what constitutes fascism rather than a focus on Mulcair's criticism of the actual policies of Trump and Trudeau's handling of it.

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

Jordan7hm posted:

Aren't they also ridiculously racist and with similar problems around indigenous populations being overly represented in terms of poverty, alcohol abuse, etc?

Yes. I'm a NZ :canada: dual citizen and I'd still give Canada the edge on blatant racism but New Zealanders really aren't THAT much better. New Zealand doesn't have the same level of problems with remote communities with unsafe water etc but in terms of all the bad statistics you mention Maori are way over represented.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Jordan7hm posted:

Yes, those problems still exist in NZ, but they are not as drastic or extreme as Canada. We're a lot more racist and we gently caress over our First Nations a LOT more.

Skippy Granola
Sep 3, 2011

It's not what it looks like.

Helsing posted:

You can prove anything if you carefully cherry pick the criteria!

The joke is Mulcair is a dope

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

He's that AI in civ that constantly Denounces you for this or that reason but you have a way bigger and more powerful civ than him so he's basically begging you to swarm him and erase him from the game

RBC
Nov 23, 2007

IM STILL SPENDING MONEY FROM 1888
Tump is a fascist, but Margaret Thatcher "flies on wings of liberty"

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Hey, it might well turn out that Thatcher is a much better leader than Trump. It's not a pleasant thought, but it's well within the realm of the possible judging by Cheeto MacFuck's first week in office.

RealityWarCriminal
Aug 10, 2016

:o:
Mulcair is 100% right, but at the same time, if he were PM, he'd be cozying up too.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..

I just sent him an email.

Subject: Calling Donald Trump a Fascist
Body: Hell Yeah

Postess with the Mostest
Apr 4, 2007

Arabian nights
'neath Arabian moons
A fool off his guard
could fall and fall hard
out there on the dunes

Skippy Granola posted:

OK but America shows all the hallmarks of a fascist state so Mulcair isn't wrong.

To whit:

Authoritarian policies
A nostalgia for a bygone era of influence
High valuation of youth and vigour
Reliance on a nebulously defined external enemy for legitimacy
High levels of nationalism
A "with us or against us" attitude toward national identity
Extreme value placed on national symbols

I think that covers most of the bases and draws strong parallels to Italian fascism

Anyway, long story short Mulcair is right, it's news to nobody, and he's still an inconsequential bearded gnome.

NO BRAKES is also a clear dog whistle to making the trains run on time.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
Just because he's not wrong doesn't mean it's something that someone in his position (i.e. a potential Prime Minister) should actually say.

I mean, the Scottish comedian that held the "Trump is a oval office" sign was right too, but that doesn't mean someone in the position to eventually have to negotiate with that orange oaf should actually say it.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

PT6A posted:

Just because he's not wrong doesn't mean it's something that someone in his position (i.e. a potential Prime Minister) should actually say.

I mean, the Scottish comedian that held the "Trump is a oval office" sign was right too, but that doesn't mean someone in the position to eventually have to negotiate with that orange oaf should actually say it.

Mulcair is the perfect person to say it actually. He is not a potential PM.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Mulcair only likes respectable hard right tyrants like Thatcher, not silly crass orange ones.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

I miss Jack :(

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Pop-o-Matic Trouble posted:

Mulcair is 100% right, but at the same time, if he were PM, he'd be cozying up too.

It would be hard to find a leader that wouldn't, Trump's crazy and he really could crush Canada economically if he wanted.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

TheKingofSprings posted:

It would be hard to find a leader that wouldn't, Trump's crazy and he really could crush Canada economically if he wanted.

I'm more worried about him doing it by accident. His schtick seems to be 10% effect, 90% side-effect.

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis

PT6A posted:

Hey, it might well turn out that Thatcher is a much better leader than Trump. It's not a pleasant thought, but it's well within the realm of the possible judging by Cheeto MacFuck's first week in office.
Thatcher didn't start a nuclear war. I give it even odds that Trump does at some point.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

Jordan7hm posted:

Mulcair is the perfect person to say it actually. He is not a potential PM.

Hey, JT could call a snap election before October.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 26, 2018

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Give the man a thousand tries and you'll see a thousand failures.

Works for both Trump and Mulcair... ooh, meta.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

PT6A posted:

Was thinking along the same lines.

If Mulcair is ever PM (lol) I don't think the spiteful thin skinned baby man would look very favourably on that. We are probably going to get hosed on trade and whatnot as it is. No need to personally offend the guy and make it worse.

Kiss that saggy orange rear end and hope his wrath passes by us without notice like hobbits beneath the Eye of Sauron.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

James Baud posted:

I like how nobody even entertains the notion that the Trump presidency could end up being fairly successful... not even as a contingency.

Like, we should be hoping it is!

Why the gently caress would anything nice ever happen

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 28, 2017

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

James Baud posted:

I like how nobody even entertains the notion that the Trump presidency could end up being fairly successful... not even as a contingency.

Like, we should be hoping it is!

How are we defining "success" in this case?

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

The Butcher posted:

Was thinking along the same lines.

If Mulcair is ever PM (lol) I don't think the spiteful thin skinned baby man would look very favourably on that. We are probably going to get hosed on trade and whatnot as it is. No need to personally offend the guy and make it worse.

Kiss that saggy orange rear end and hope his wrath passes by us without notice like hobbits beneath the Eye of Sauron.

Sure, appeasement to maintain peace has a pretty strong historical record after all.

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Helsing posted:

Some things remain that aren't both upside down and on fire.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

flakeloaf posted:

Some things remain that aren't both upside down and on fire.

The living are only covetous of the dead.

James Baud
May 24, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

James Baud fucked around with this message at 13:04 on Aug 26, 2018

RubeTube
Jun 18, 2008

MA-Horus posted:

Who was the poster who came up with the idea of giving the First Nations their own MPs?

Has that ever been openly proposed?
It sure has! Check out the Committee for Aboriginal Electoral Reform's report, "The Path to Electoral Equality" (1991), and the "Aboriginal peoples and electoral reform" chapter of the Royal Commission on Electoral Reform and Party Financing's final report. The Committee said that Aboriginal Electoral Districts (AEDs) would “deal with structural discrimination in the electoral system.” Assuming enough people opted onto the Aboriginal rolls, the AEDs were supposed to guarantee direct Aboriginal representation in Parliament by creating one or more districts in each of the provinces, and one for all of Atlantic Canada, on which only Aboriginals could vote. The Royal Commission accepted the proposal, which had been based on the New Zealand experience. Royal Commissions being Royal Commissions, we never got any separate districts.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
The trump presidency is going to be a Naomi Klein macroeconomic wet dream

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Helsing posted:

Economically. As awful as he is, he is driving confidence into the us market. Cheeto dust man seems to drive us equity returns, you should've already rebalanced heavily in favour of the us market because at this point that is the only certain thing.

Stretch Marx
Apr 29, 2008

I'm ok with this.
Part of the reason I'm trying to start a produce farm here in my city is mostly to hopefully help buffer the area from food supply issues. Trump killing NAFTA is another good reason why each city should have hydroponic farms already.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Well, HMV is dead

http://www.citynews.ca/2017/01/27/struggling-hmv-canada-set-close-102-stores/

Trudeau couldn't even save our once-thriving CD selling business. Now how will you quickly get to the second floor of west edmonton mall if you come in from the west entrance? You'll have to walk all the way over to the escalator by the food court, or even worse, park on the top floor of the parking garage.

Another blatant attack on northern Alberta from this Trudeau government and it won't be forgotten come election time.

Also, The Ocean Man pipeline break is turning into a hilarious shitshow. The reserve is complaining and protesting about more pipeline consultations being held with first nations, except that pipeline was there 20 years before the reservation was. It has also never been inspected by the government because in Saskatchewan, being less than 15km it was exempt from licensing, and they leave inspections of unlicensed pipelines up to the owners. A 200,000 liter spill might be worth it if it means inspecting hundreds, or maybe thousands of 50 year old pipelines even as a knee jerk reaction.

The Butcher
Apr 20, 2005

Well, at least we tried.
Nap Ghost

infernal machines posted:

Sure, appeasement to maintain peace has a pretty strong historical record after all.

This time the villains already start with the most powerful military and economy so if poo poo ever went full :godwin: again we would probably be better off as spineless bootlicker client state than the alternatives.

namaste friends
Sep 18, 2004

by Smythe
Oh yeah and how many varieties of dirt are you farming

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

The Butcher posted:

This time the villains already start with the most powerful military and economy so if poo poo ever went full :godwin: again we would probably be better off as spineless bootlicker client state than the alternatives.

In today's very special episode, Canada plays the role of Poland, circa 1939.

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

infernal machines posted:

In today's very special episode, Canada plays the role of Poland, circa 1939.

We're Austria

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azerban
Oct 28, 2003

Mexico will be Poland.