Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Jessica got the +50 MP whenever she has a staff equipped and now she spends every battle casting Bang. That and the Hero's Reinforced Boomerang are beeeeautiful for clearing mobs, it rules

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Why does everything cost so much money. A Wizard's Staff just set me back twelve hundo and enemies drop something like 80 gold per battle.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Is it too late to switch to staff with Jessie? She only about 35 or so in Whips, as she split her points in Affection.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Rirse posted:

Is it too late to switch to staff with Jessie? She only about 35 or so in Whips, as she split her points in Affection.

No, still make the switch to staff; her early skill point growth is pretty great anyway

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Anyone know where to go for the godbird girls photo quest? I've looked all over empychu and the isolated plateau and cant find anything that matches the description.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Zaggitz posted:

Anyone know where to go for the godbird girls photo quest? I've looked all over empychu and the isolated plateau and cant find anything that matches the description.

You need to advance the story further

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I traded in a princess robe to dodgy dave for abiding blazer and now Jessica is a school girl. No, wait give me back my robe!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Whoa I'm in like the second dungeon and the game's already throwing metal slimes at me

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Anyone got a list of all the codex quests? I found one a few days ago but I can't find it now.

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Calaveron posted:

Why does everything cost so much money. A Wizard's Staff just set me back twelve hundo and enemies drop something like 80 gold per battle.

This is every Dragon Quest, it forces you to actually think about how you spend your money.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

ROFL Octopus posted:

You need to advance the story further

How much further? I'm about to fight sir leopold

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Zaggitz posted:

How much further? I'm about to fight sir leopold

Basically right before the final boss.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

ROFL Octopus posted:

No, still make the switch to staff; her early skill point growth is pretty great anyway

Cool. I haven't used any of my stat boosters yet (just beat Don Mole) outside of HP ones for Jessie. Best to save them or throw them on the Hero?

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
A bunch of alchemy needs stat seeds, hang on to them for now.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.
On top of that, stat seeds ultimately end up not really doing anything because stat gains on level are based on an average stat amount for the level you're hitting. If you use seeds, you'll get less stats on a level.

Skill seeds fuckin rule, though

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
Okay. Like I said, the only ones I felt like using were HP ones for Jessie, as her HP were so low early on.

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Hivac posted:

On top of that, stat seeds ultimately end up not really doing anything because stat gains on level are based on an average stat amount for the level you're hitting. If you use seeds, you'll get less stats on a level.

Skill seeds fuckin rule, though

Stat gains are fixed in 8 unless they changed it for 3ds.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

MMF Freeway posted:

Stat gains are fixed in 8 unless they changed it for 3ds.

:shrug: I'm just repeating what I've heard.

Also how many tokens should I get from Baccarat, I'm at like 800k right now.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Hivac posted:

Unless you have both Jessica and Red using whips for some reason, and want liquid metal armor for everyone, that's enough.

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hivac posted:

Jesus, you definitely have enough

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
go for one million

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

YggiDee posted:

go for one million

One million

and one.

:aaaaa:

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

What's this loving bird's deal and why does it oneshot half of my party members with liquid metal armor and a bunch of current equipment

I can't get any attacks in because every turn someone gets nuked for like 180 damage, fun!

double edit: Also she takes like what seems to be like 20% damage from all of my attacks and I don't know what the gently caress

triple edit: everyone's confused which there's no way to undo to my knowledge so I guess I just lose now, this boss is unfun as gently caress

Reco fucked around with this message at 08:38 on Jan 28, 2017

ROFL Octopus
Jun 20, 2014

LET ME EXPLAIN

Hivac posted:

What's this loving bird's deal and why does it oneshot half of my party members with liquid metal armor and a bunch of current equipment

I can't get any attacks in because every turn someone gets nuked for like 180 damage, fun!

double edit: Also she takes like what seems to be like 20% damage from all of my attacks and I don't know what the gently caress

triple edit: everyone's confused which there's no way to undo to my knowledge so I guess I just lose now, this boss is unfun as gently caress

That dumbass boss's gimmick is that it has astronomical defense but pitiful hp. If you invested in spears and/or axes, now's the time to use those critical hit skills. Also are you making sure Angelo is Buffing the poo poo out of your party?

Yes, that bird can go to hell.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Buffing isn't doing much at all, I wasn't using Yangus though but he does have executioner, I'll give that a shot, thanks

Lord Ephraim
Feb 22, 2008

That's one way to get ahead in life, but nothing beats an axe to the face.
I'm 100% positive that boss did not have Kafuddle in the PS2 version. I got wrecked pretty bad by it.

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

Lord Ephraim posted:

I'm 100% positive that boss did not have Kafuddle in the PS2 version. I got wrecked pretty bad by it.

A quick glance at a wiki confirms this. That's... odd.

Edit: So I guess the endgame status quo for DQ8 is "sometimes your party members get oneshot, deal with it" judging from this current boss that I'm on now :v:

Reco fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Jan 28, 2017

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
I'm pretty sure it's either that or stumbling on the Timbriel of Tension recipe right after that boss and clowning the entire endgame with it.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

The Godbird is up there with Dhoulmagus 2 in terms of DQ's highest brick wall bosses.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
Is DQ Heroes 2 ever coming out in the west?

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Calaveron posted:

Is DQ Heroes 2 ever coming out in the west?

This spring in fact! It's also coming bundled with 1 and all the dlc for both on the Switch.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Zaggitz posted:

This spring in fact! It's also coming bundled with 1 and all the dlc for both on the Switch.

I'm just going to get that version since it cheaper then getting two and waiting on the original to go on sale over on Steam.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Rirse posted:

I'm just going to get that version since it cheaper then getting two and waiting on the original to go on sale over on Steam.

On the other hand, apparently the Switch version will have new characters.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Supremezero posted:

On the other hand, apparently the Switch version will have new characters.

Since they got added to the 3DS version, I hope Red and Morrie are added.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

I think Ragnar(with healie) is the only confirmed new character right now.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
That awesome since Ragnar was awesome in IV. Looking at the character roster for II, it seems like all the main characters outside of the main character are in it now. Which is good, since IV is my favorite Dragon Quest, as it the only one I was able to beat as a kid.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Torneko looks fun and I forgot that he and Ragnar made cameos in the monster arena in 8.

Metallia
Sep 17, 2014

Hivac posted:

A quick glance at a wiki confirms this. That's... odd.

Edit: So I guess the endgame status quo for DQ8 is "sometimes your party members get oneshot, deal with it" judging from this current boss that I'm on now :v:

unfortunately this is the case; endgame bosses have absurdly high crit rates (50%~) and the only real defense is to boost your hp out of one shot range, which with the damage of some postgame stuff, can be...arduous

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So what am I supposed to do with morrie and red skilltree-wise?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

DrManiac posted:

So what am I supposed to do with morrie and red skilltree-wise?

Get most of their unique skilltree, then decide basically between Claws (Multi-hit, debuffing on hit, and defense-piercing) or Clubs (Crits and stuns) for Morrie, and Daggers (Strongest attack in the game) or Fans (Strongest all-hitting attack in the game and Not-Kazing) for Red.