Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005
Is there a point to playing gold/silver, ruby/sapphire, or just skip them and play the newer versions? I want to play through the series again but looking for advice.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Cbear posted:

Is there a point to playing gold/silver, ruby/sapphire, or just skip them and play the newer versions? I want to play through the series again but looking for advice.

HeartGold/SoulSilver are a straight upgrade over GSC so there's no point in playing the older ones. Gen 3 is a bit harder to say, since ORAS are upgraded RS...but not Emerald. Emerald is still the better game there, but the mechanics will feel very outdated if you're accustomed to the current games, especially since it's pre-Gen 4.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cbear posted:

Play the remakes if you can, the originals did not age well.

Alternatively, get Sun or Moon because they're the best Pocket Monsters games in a while.

MasterSlowPoke
Oct 9, 2005

Our courage will pull us through
I wouldn't start any earlier than Gen V.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
If you want to maximize your useful pokemon play, I would start with Black/White (Gen 5). It is the oldest generation that is still compatible with the current uploading system that will allow you to trade up between game generations, and it is a pretty nice place, mechanics and pokemon-quality wise, to start off.

LEGO Genetics
Oct 8, 2013

She growls as she storms the stadium
A villain mean and rough
And the cops all shake and quiver and quake
as she stabs them with her cuffs
So Lusamine is pretty much mom of the century right? With best dad Ghetsis?

I'm still stuck on the 3rd island. :negative:

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

So, uh, I'm guessing the shiny, level 100 Virizion with perfect IVs and Pokerus that just arrived via WT is hacked? Because I'm pretty sure it's not native to the Hoenn region.

Alxprit
Feb 7, 2015

<click> <click> What is it with this dancing?! Bouncing around like fools... I would have thought my own kind at least would understand the seriousness of our Adventurer's Guild!

Rangpur posted:

So, uh, I'm guessing the shiny, level 100 Virizion with perfect IVs and Pokerus that just arrived via WT is hacked? Because I'm pretty sure it's not native to the Hoenn region.

It could have been theoretically caught in OR/AS, but yes it's probably hacked.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Well at least it looks cool. I usually don't include legendaries on my team anyway.

-Fish-
Oct 10, 2005

Glub glub.
Glub glub.

This is a long shot but does anyone have a spare Genesect?

Edit: Got it! Thanks Chaosfeather

-Fish- fucked around with this message at 03:40 on Jan 29, 2017

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

drat..

I transferred my Fissure Machamp, and he doesn't have no guard

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

.TakaM posted:

drat..

I transferred my Fissure Machamp, and he doesn't have no guard

That's why god created ability capsules.

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

Theta Zero posted:

That's why god created ability capsules.

Transferred mons come with their HA, which can't be capsuled.

Theta Zero
Dec 22, 2014

I've seen it.

AlphaKretin posted:

Transferred mons come with their HA, which can't be capsuled.

Nevermind, god is dead.

.TakaM
Oct 30, 2007

I definitely can't change it with the capsule? It really sucks how tm's are a one time use in gen 1...

Does anyone know any other gen1 Pokemon worth importing to sun&moon?

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

Rangpur posted:

If it's actually from Unova there's a chance that it was legalish (probably cloned to hell). It was easy as gently caress to RNG abuse in that gen. Was the OT named Mat?

Rudoku fucked around with this message at 11:29 on Jan 28, 2017

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

-Fish- posted:

This is a long shot but does anyone have a spare Genesect?

Hope you get PMs, buddy.

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
Is there a separate Pokemon Duel thread? If not, is anyone running that on the side? It's scratching my Pokemon itch pretty good right now

Cbear
Mar 22, 2005

Omnikin posted:

Is there a separate Pokemon Duel thread? If not, is anyone running that on the side? It's scratching my Pokemon itch pretty good right now

I'm playing it. I can't tell if I'm going to play it long term yet. I think if they plan to events and such with any kind of regularity I will continue playing it. Otherwise, probably not. How frequent they've been doing the maitenance is promising to how much effort they're putting in though.

Btw, I have Lugia in it and he is amazing.

Jelly Omelet
Sep 2, 2011

Cbear posted:

If for whatever reason you want to play through Pokémon Stadium 2 then I guess an argument could be made to play through GSC. HGSS are a huge upgrade over the originals and wold recommend them over the original.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

.TakaM posted:

I definitely can't change it with the capsule? It really sucks how tm's are a one time use in gen 1...

Does anyone know any other gen1 Pokemon worth importing to sun&moon?

the ones that are probably immediately useful are all the ones you don't have already, and non-alolan versions of alolan pokemon if you don't have them in a different game

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Cbear posted:

I'm playing it. I can't tell if I'm going to play it long term yet. I think if they plan to events and such with any kind of regularity I will continue playing it. Otherwise, probably not. How frequent they've been doing the maitenance is promising to how much effort they're putting in though.

Btw, I have Lugia in it and he is amazing.

I also have Lugia and can second this. Auto-bench on a 3-star purple is incredible. And the damage on its white isn't bad either.

KyleeBitkin
Jan 22, 2017

Around, and around, and around, and around...

Omnikin posted:

I've been playing constantly the last few days. I loved the game when I was a kid but could never afford the figurines, and now they are giving out tons of awesome ones for free. At the moment with login bonuses you can get 6 figures with at least one guaranteed EX every two days because of the login bonuses.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

Reacean posted:

This might be a real dumb question but when the hell do the daily events reset (like battle buffet)?

Mostly midnight. Everything poke pelago-related is just based on elapsed time though (so for example, after sending out a bean bottle it is 24 hours from the time you did that before you can send out another one)

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe

Omnikin posted:

At first I thought it was okay, then bad. It's since grown on me especially now that I have a good stable of EX mons thanks to all the login bonuses. The battles (when they work) are actually pretty fun and satisfying to win, especially when you can double block their entry points.

notthegoatseguy
Sep 6, 2005

Smogon's Saturday giveaway is Marowak-A.

https://www.facebook.com/SmogonU/photos/a.10150903536667390.440895.219134492389/10155032817482390/?type=3

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KyleeBitkin posted:

I've been playing constantly the last few days. I loved the game when I was a kid but could never afford the figurines, and now they are giving out tons of awesome ones for free. At the moment with login bonuses you can get 6 figures with at least one guaranteed EX every two days because of the login bonuses.

when you were a kid? i thought pokemon duel with figurines was more recentish, like 2010

or are you like 18 oh god am i old now

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

mandatory lesbian posted:

when you were a kid? i thought pokemon duel with figurines was more recentish, like 2010

i was 13 when pokemon red came out in the uk. people are adults now who have never lived in a world without pokemon :corsair:

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I got lucky with a Ho-Oh to start followed by a Latios/Gardevoir/Charizard pull yesterday, that's basically my team plus Jolteon and Mawile. When the servers are up the game is fun as hell and I'm hoping it's stable for the rest of the weekend while I have some free time. Though I don't mind maintenance while I'm asleep if it means they keep dropping 50-100 gems on us as apologies.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Omnikin posted:

I got lucky with a Ho-Oh to start followed by a Latios/Gardevoir/Charizard pull yesterday, that's basically my team plus Jolteon and Mawile. When the servers are up the game is fun as hell and I'm hoping it's stable for the rest of the weekend while I have some free time. Though I don't mind maintenance while I'm asleep if it means they keep dropping 50-100 gems on us as apologies.

Yea with the maintenance I have been able to do two 6-pulls, and am 2 gems shy of a third thanks to all the apology gems. It's gotten me 3 EX figures and I'm pretty happy about that.

KyleeBitkin
Jan 22, 2017

I'm 20 years old, my memory of these figures is incredibly rough. All I remember is that I really wanted them when I was younger!

acumen
Mar 17, 2005
Fun Shoe
I'm up to 5 now, and am just short of another 6-pull. I use them all because I like shiny things but they're a decent balance used together. I like to rush my Keldeo or Shuppet towards the opponent's flag and just swap it with the Metagross I have sitting near my entry point.

Yveltal: I re-rolled when I started until I got an EX. This was the one. Apparently it's top tier too and it sure is acting like it. 100 damage white, 2* purple, and 3* purple. Buffs dark pokemon.
Metagross: At first I thought it sucked because of 1 movement, but it puts out some serious damage. Very low miss chance and lots of dodge.
Gardevoir: Decent all around but especially good due to being able to block Shuppets and stuff. The warp ability can be handy too.
Snorlax: Solid flag guard. 1MP though.
Keldeo: dumb rainbow pony but has 3MP and two good white rolls. One is a 51 damage (the extra point helps surprisingly often) and the other boots your opponent to the bench even if you lose.

Before the connectivity poo poo itself again I had a tight game with another guy until I suicide charged my shuppet towards his flag guard in an attempt to either luck out and win the fight or die and get my metagross back. He won with an ability called slippery slope that swaps it with the attacking pokemon, thereby placing me on the flag.

Also should we have a separate thread for this?

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I named him Lucky Star. He is a good bird.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

KyleeBitkin posted:

I'm 20 years old, my memory of these figures is incredibly rough. All I remember is that I really wanted them when I was younger!

I was a senior in HS when the cartoon and red/blue came out. I did not see a cyndaquil until I was already a man.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

acumen posted:

I'm up to 5 now, and am just short of another 6-pull. I use them all because I like shiny things but they're a decent balance used together. I like to rush my Keldeo or Shuppet towards the opponent's flag and just swap it with the Metagross I have sitting near my entry point.

Yveltal: I re-rolled when I started until I got an EX. This was the one. Apparently it's top tier too and it sure is acting like it. 100 damage white, 2* purple, and 3* purple. Buffs dark pokemon.
Metagross: At first I thought it sucked because of 1 movement, but it puts out some serious damage. Very low miss chance and lots of dodge.
Gardevoir: Decent all around but especially good due to being able to block Shuppets and stuff. The warp ability can be handy too.
Snorlax: Solid flag guard. 1MP though.
Keldeo: dumb rainbow pony but has 3MP and two good white rolls. One is a 51 damage (the extra point helps surprisingly often) and the other boots your opponent to the bench even if you lose.

Before the connectivity poo poo itself again I had a tight game with another guy until I suicide charged my shuppet towards his flag guard in an attempt to either luck out and win the fight or die and get my metagross back. He won with an ability called slippery slope that swaps it with the attacking pokemon, thereby placing me on the flag.

Also should we have a separate thread for this?

I am really conflicted about Snorlax. He is an incredible defender, but his 1 MP really hurts. I'm not sure if we need another thread. I know Pokémon GO got one when it came out, but Duel does not have nearly the same number of players, and I doubt it ever will.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

KyleeBitkin posted:

i actually went looking and realized two things

1) the thing i was thinking of from 2010 was Pokemon Battrio, which it turns out is not very similar to duels at all!
2) the thing you're remembering was the Pokemon Battle Figures, which yeah those were like, Gen 1 and Gen 2 i think

KyleeBitkin
Jan 22, 2017

i actually went looking and realized two things

1) the thing i was thinking of from 2010 was Pokemon Battrio, which it turns out is not very similar to duels at all!
2) the thing you're remembering was the Pokemon Battle Figures, which yeah those were like, Gen 1 and Gen 2 i think

Actually, there is another game called the Pokemon Trading Figure Game. I found a link to it, and it's exactly what I was thinking of! It is the first version of Pokemon Duels. http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Pok%C3%A9mon_Trading_Figure_Game#Products

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
jesus christ how many figurine things have they tried over the years lol

the pokemon side-projects are officially too many for me to keep them straight

zaepg
Dec 25, 2008

by sebmojo
I'm not sure of the technical term, but I'm interested in good status-damage-inflicting Pokemon. I used to have a Jumpluff with Leech Seed-Sleep Powder-Substitute-Arial Ace. It used to be a blast to slowly drain my opponents. What are some other good Pokemon for slow mind game, status effecting plays?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

the extremely controversial genie tyranitar