Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Whitlam
Aug 2, 2014

Some goons overreact. Go figure.
My favourite part of the CFA dispute was last federal election when the Libs tried to make it a big deal with signs and scare quotes at the booth I was handing out how-to-votes at and nobody gave a poo poo because we live in the west in an area served by the MFB, and nobody even understood the issue enough to care anyway. Not saying it wasn't an issue anywhere, just definitely not where I was. Also the Libs got there with their how-to-votes a few hours after the booth opened, so a bunch of people went in wanting to vote for them with no idea how, so missed opportunity there too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It was the same up my way, there were some hysterical letters to the Bendigo Advertiser, but everyone else was meh. The next election will be about mosques although I'm sure the One Nation candidate isn't going to live down her Bendigo Council past well enough, she is just not liked.

Futuresight
Oct 11, 2012

IT'S ALL TURNED TO SHIT!
I literally didn't know what the CFA dispute was about until WhiskeyWhiskers' post just above. And I saw that Michaelia Cash interview at the time. I don't know if they had terrible messaging because it was dumb issue, or if they had deliberately fuzzy messaging because if it wan't fuzzy it would be clear what utter nothing it was.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It was dumb because not only was the issue dumb, they explained it really dumbly. At the bottom of it was a shitstir to get CFA volunteers mad at unionised CFA, someone's bright idea at Vic Lib Dumbfuck HQ with most of the hard work being done by the Hun day in day out. And there were a few rallies and things but no one outside the Vic Libs could explain the actual issue, because not even the Hun could make it clear apart from "unions bad, Andrews bad. BAD!!"

But what killed it was Cash's explanation, and the union saying outright they didn't have a problem with the volunteers. The Hun couldn't explain the fuckup and couldn't argue the union's point and everyone went "ohhh its just Libs bullshit" and it was like Andrews fairy godmother zinged the whole thing into a nothing.

It won't stop some idiots from rehashing it next election, just like they'll probably rehash East-West to see if that works. They're out of ideas again.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

make australia great again as well please
Can guarantee the next Vic state election will be nothing but tough on crime.

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Nibbles! posted:

Can guarantee the next Vic state election will be nothing but tough on crime.

The Hun will be after Andrews throughout the election about the youth detention issues like crazy. I hope Andrews just shows a slideshow of all the level crossings he has removed over the past 4 years and says nothing. Considering the previous Baillieu/Napthine Government spent its 4 years doing gently caress all and their idea of removing a crossing was a poo poo one down in Louise Asher's electorate. They didn't even remove any from the Frankston line, which was their pledge when they got into government.

Solemn Sloth
Jul 11, 2015

Baby you can shout at me,
But you can't need my eyes.
http://www.theage.com.au/federal-po...127-gtzu0v.html

We did it guys! Well done, someone is seeking asylum in Fiji from our detention program. Truly a proud day for Australia.

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
https://twitter.com/SatPaper/status/825097372363550720

Bye Soapy.

Blamestorm
Aug 14, 2004

We LOL at death! Watch us LOL. Love the LOL.

I'm sure Brandis was appointed entirely on merit and nothing to do at all with getting him out of Cabinet, possibly the most incompetent minister of modern times.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

This won't happen until Julyish anyway, Porter's going to take over AG (which is a meteoric rise); there is also another reshuffle planned around May but no detail. I'm sure they have someone ready to parachute into Brandis' seat.

edit: also this tidbit from the article:

quote:

Turnbull’s speech this week will emphasise moves to cut business tax and push on with stalled legislation for childcare assistance.

{guess the reasons why stalled}

Also high on the priority list will be a proposed restructuring of schools funding and, with it, an overhaul of teaching standards to ensure that money spent is achieving results in education.

{this is code for a teacher rating algorithm that will shift the responsibility away from humans and degrades the public system to the benefit of the private system}

And in line with Treasurer Scott Morrison’s visit to Britain last week to examine moves to lower housing costs, the government is expected to bring forward a package of measures, possibly before the May budget, to address housing affordability and encourage the states and territories to take steps of their own.

{more blameshifting}

ewe2 fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 28, 2017

SadisTech
Jun 26, 2013

Clem.

Higsian posted:

Michaelia Cash's voice and mannerisms make her seem like a character she'd pull out whenever she's playing a useless administrator on a sketch show.

I'd give not unreasonable odds that the entire Liberal Party is a long running piece of performance art aimed at demonstrating how populations can be made to actively vote to gently caress themselves

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Certainly seems to work in the UK, they've got it down so good we send our Liberals over to learn.

Ten Becquerels
Apr 17, 2012

My Little Tony: Leadership is Magic
The guy who used to drive my school bus is running in the WA state election as a One Nation candidate. Small world.

No real chance he'll win since Kimberley has been Labor-held since 1980, and the three people in the seat since then are all Aboriginal - Ernie Bridge, Carol Martin and Josie Farrer - and bus driver man is white as all hell. Warren Greatorex is running for the Libs though, and if anyone's going to take the seat from Labor it'll probably be him. If he wins he'll be the first Aboriginal Liberal state MP, seems like an alright guy but the whole thing smacks of him being used as a prop because the Libs can't get any traction among Aboriginal people. He might even win, a lot of people are unhappy about how the region and remote communities in particular get ignored by government.

Brown Paper Bag
Nov 3, 2012

Ten Becquerels posted:

The guy who used to drive my school bus is running in the WA state election as a One Nation candidate. Small world.

No real chance he'll win since Kimberley has been Labor-held since 1980, and the three people in the seat since then are all Aboriginal - Ernie Bridge, Carol Martin and Josie Farrer - and bus driver man is white as all hell. Warren Greatorex is running for the Libs though, and if anyone's going to take the seat from Labor it'll probably be him. If he wins he'll be the first Aboriginal Liberal state MP, seems like an alright guy but the whole thing smacks of him being used as a prop because the Libs can't get any traction among Aboriginal people. He might even win, a lot of people are unhappy about how the region and remote communities in particular get ignored by government.

But The Liberals are the government at the moment?

Pilbara will be the rural seat to watch, the mining industry is caning Grylls for the Nationals' mining tax proposal and One Nation is meant to be polling well. 4-way race at the moment IIRC...

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Well I was doing some telemarketing in that area last year and yeah they're all mad about the economy, the bottom fell right out of it. Tourism just disappeared, and a lot of services got cut. I can't see how changing the incumbent will help, it would be ironic if it went Liberal and the state government changed hands.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/nat...ec8d759bc392b83
Former prime minister Tony Abbott has called for resolute action to break the protracted crisis in Australia’s national parliament by urging the Turnbull government to hold a constitutional referendum to enable governments to govern.

Warning that Australia is now mired in gridlock that destroys any chance of effective government, Mr Abbott says Australia “increasingly resembles Italy”, facing chronic changes of prime minister and an inability to get things done.

In a speech to be delivered in the next few days, Mr Abbott will say Australians must confront yet again the kind of country they want. He nails the public’s disenchantment with politics, saying our democracy is now run by the perverse practice of politicians seeking election on an agenda and being denied the right to implement that agenda in ­office.

“Over time the Senate has ceased being a house of review and become a house of rejection,” Mr Abbott said. “The result is gridlock, not government, and it has to change. In the end, the government of the day has to be allowed to govern — and not with one hand tied behind its back because its legislation can’t pass.”

Referring to the Turnbull government’s Australian Building and Construction Commission legislation for a tough cop on the beat for the construction industry — Coalition policy at both the 2013 and 2016 elections — Mr Abbott said despite this “double mandate” the Senate “still amended it almost to the point of futility”. He calls for a referendum to enable a joint sitting of both houses to pass deadlocked bills without the need for a ­double-dissolution election.

Although a significant constitutional change, the Abbott proposal preserves the current parliamentary framework. It seeks a more speedy and effective means of resolving deadlocks between the houses. His proposal still means a government would need a significant majority in the House of Representatives to pass bills at a joint sitting.

Mr Abbott recommends the proposal be considered as a referendum at the next general election. However, it is unlikely Malcolm Turnbull would be interested, since his tactic since the July 2016 election has been to work with the Senate.

Mr Abbott argues the paralysis in parliament has a direct effect on the prime minister. Drawing on his own fate, he says if a prime minister cannot secure his agenda, there can be “no expectation” such a prime minister will survive.

The Abbott proposal is based on a Howard government discussion paper from 2003 looking at how to resolve this pivotal flaw in Australia’s parliamentary system. That paper said the existing voting arrangements meant the “Senate holds effective control over the legislative and policy agenda upon which the government of the day has been elected.”

Mr Abbott endorses the conclusion of the discussion paper, that “the minority has assumed a permanent and absolute veto over the majority”.

The situation is far worse than it was under the Howard government. The dilemma is that the public, disillusioned with the major parties, votes for minor parties in the Senate — but these have little interest in the government’s agenda, leaving government legislative programs seriously weakened or defeated.

However, as Mr Abbott concedes, this is more a problem for the Coalition than Labor which, when in office working with the Greens, has a better chance of securing its parliamentary agenda. The Coalition agenda is more likely to be unpopular, based on less spending, and appeal less to the Senate crossbench.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
So if they get in on a 51/49 "mandate" they should be able to do whatever they want, not bother making policies that please as many people as possible?

Got it

BBJoey
Oct 31, 2012

yes, i'm sure that even though they can't get a majority in the senate they'll be able to carry a referendum

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

US refugee resettlement deal likely dead
Visa wavier program also likely dead

What else did you have Turnbull?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Synthbuttrange posted:

A wine menu.

Anidav
Feb 25, 2010

ahhh fuck its the rats again

Synthbuttrange posted:

Send Bill Shorten a debt notice

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Jesus the hide of Abbott to say those things after he took advantage of a situation only to find he was incompetent.

The parliamentary federal government does not have the unilateral right to do whatever it wants. That's the point of a Senate, that's the point of a Governor General, that's the loving point of a Federation.

If I'm hearing correctly, the US has just shut the doors on any Muslim, even those with Green cards. And Tony Abbott thinks he can "reform" government. That's what you get when "government gets to govern".

The only thing he got right was, yes it will become Italy. Not because of any lack of democracy, but the loss of mandate from two parties who took their electorate for granted.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

So, this would make Federal Parliament effectively act like Queensland's unicameral system?

ewe2 posted:

If I'm hearing correctly, the US has just shut the doors on any Muslim, even those with Green cards. And Tony Abbott thinks he can "reform" government. That's what you get when "government gets to govern".

I've read this in two different threads now, so I went and checked the news and I'm still having a difficult time believing I'm seeing this actually happen.

Megillah Gorilla fucked around with this message at 05:31 on Jan 28, 2017

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
So that Referendum would first have to pass the Senate right?

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

Gorilla Salad posted:

So, this would make Federal Parliament effectively act like Queensland's unicameral system?

Not quite correct. The senate would act as normal, just when a double dissolution trigger is available, there wouldn't need to be an election, both the senate and the reps would have a joint sitting.

That would it mean it could effectively end up essentially a unicameral system, with every bill being blocked by the senate twice and then pushed through if a government had a large majority in the reps, but the coalition doesn't at the moment. It'd still probably be blocked, because it's only 2 more votes.

WhiskeyWhiskers fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Jan 28, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Gorilla Salad posted:

I've read this in two different threads now, so I went and checked the news and I'm still having a difficult time believing I'm seeing this actually happen.

I've read some amazing tweets about itm, eg

https://twitter.com/aayoub/status/825136159990886400

But if you think that's crazy, California might secede.

Konomex
Oct 25, 2010

a whiteman who has some authority over others, who not only hasn't raped anyone, or stared at them creepily...

Former Prime Minister, Rhodes Scholar, Master Onion Eater, demonstrates profound lack of understanding of how our political system works. Assumes he has right to govern because less than 50% of the public voted for his party.

If they got more than 50% they wouldn't have this issue.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Annnn speaking of unbelievable poo poo, reddit AMA with Centrelink staff about the #notmydebt just blew up:

quote:

I also love the DHS press release titled 'Let's talk about facts'. So yes, we would love to talk about some facts, please do tell us: What is the dispute ratio of the $300m of "identified" debt? Not appeal, dispute/review ratio.

80.87 percent. Official.

How much of the $300m has actually been recovered, in the DHS bank account?

less than 7 Million. as of friday.

What percentage of originally calculated debts have since been altered?

78 percent of all original debt's have been remalcomated

How much has been spent administering the system including disputes, appeals, etc. in man-hours/expenses? Millions.

It costs about 100 -250 dollars in man hour just to review one file and that's only if it take one day if it's weeks ur in the thousands just for one file.

How many people have threatened self-harm as a result of these measures?

A guy at the temora centrelink office walked in and was threating to slit his wrists as he could not handle the pressure. There has been several other incidents like this we may have already had deaths any.

What percentage of raised debts have been wiped entirely?

Very Few. VERY FEW AT ALL.. Most of the memos floating around in senior dept's are saying not to forgive all of the debt. i know of ppl that have had a debt reduced from hundreds down to 5 dollars just so they can legally say well the systems not broken it's collecting debts.

What percentage of debts have resulted in underpayments?

Can't answer this i don't have this data.

If employees said it was never going to work, why was it rolled out anyway?

Cause gently caress you. And gently caress u for not doing as ur told. get back to work pleb. loving WHIP And they needed to add the 300 million to the May budget line. No less than 87 objections where raised by Front line managment before the rollout... Not one ounce of fucks was given...Literally...i was there for this.. they laughed it off..

Why is DHS still talking about the technicality of 'debt letters' vs. 'notices' when it's largely irrelevant? Denying legal culpability. That hole is way to deep now. Is DHS anticipating a class-action lawsuit? Is it budgeted for?

Yes,They know the law suits are coming. There is a strategy meeting planed for friday to discuss funding preparations and winding in DPP to the meetings to prepare.. this pissed me off when they announced that.. i was like...So instead of fixing the issue. ur gonna pull a VW and fight ppl on it..Well done cunts

How much are the collection agencies making from the automated system?

10 percent fee. plus 15 percent commission Officially

Why didn't Tudge know about the 10% penalty fee when it was on the first letter sent to people?

He was not briefed on it at the time. As the PR dept that they selected from the Victorian liberal offices deemed it irrelevant at the time. Tudge has been pushed under the bus here.

Does the Government believe that the AAA credit rating rests on the fate of the fanciful $4b from these measures?

No,But it was counting on it to pad out the budget. Now they know the game is up they have commenced reviews of other welfare outpayments. Such as the NDIS. as they know they can gut that with mininmal fallout. and take the funding from that and add it to the budget.

SORRY IT LOOKS LIKE poo poo I DID NOT KNOW HOW TO REPLY TO THE QUESTIONS properly
Well Im sorry.

I must apologize everyone my figures on how much has been clawed back is incorrect. Sorry. Let me correct it right now. It's 7,317,912 Dollars. Unlike the govt i give correct stats

There's another sub where the conversation continues because the informant was getting posts deleted in /r/Australia.

Some pretty frightening stuff if this guy is to be believed.

Asher Wolf is tweeting pix of all this from here just follow the thread.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

"هذا ليس عادلاً."
"هذا ليس عادلاً على الإطلاق."
"كان هناك وقت الآن."
(السياق الخفي: للقراءة)

ewe2 posted:

I've read some amazing tweets about itm, eg

https://twitter.com/aayoub/status/825136159990886400

But if you think that's crazy, California might secede.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GoA_zY6tqQw

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Doctor Spaceman posted:

So that Referendum would first have to pass the Senate right?

Did someone say plebiscite? :v:

ewe2 posted:

Annnn speaking of unbelievable poo poo, reddit AMA with Centrelink staff about the #notmydebt just blew up:

If this is accurate - and frankly considering how the official lines have been a pack of lies then gently caress it let's just assume it is - then well. I have no words at the moment.
Comes from the top, we know that much.

DancingShade fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Jan 28, 2017

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

It does get me that I never heard of this for -- at the oldest post -- two weeks before someone tweeted it.

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Unsurprising but still depressing quote:

"NewsCorp can eat a gently caress. As i elaborated weeks ago. When i started leaking poo poo i was in contact with them,the dude i was talking too pretty much just flat out told me he wont be able to run with any of the info as senior editors killed ideas on running with anti govt information"

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

quote:

“Over time the Senate has ceased being a house of review and become a house of rejection,” Mr Abbott said

quote:

Section 53 of the Australian Constitution:

..........Except as provided in this section, the Senate shall have equal power with the House of Representatives in respect of all proposed laws.

Nibbles!
Jun 26, 2008

TRUMP TRUMP TRUMP

Our founding fathers were well aware that Melbourne and Sydney would dominate the House of Reps due to population. The Senate was conceived as a house for the States, hence their equal representation. It was designed to be a stop against the more powerful States imposing their will hence having the strongest powers of any upper house in the world.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

ewe2 posted:

There's another sub where the conversation continues because the informant was getting posts deleted in /r/Australia.

tightassbogan

17h

Oh i have plenty.

But a lot of the good stuff would directly point to me.

But at this point i don't really care.

You want a good one. What about wyatt woy poping wood in a staff metting. He then spilt his tea on his pants as an excuse to leave and wash up.. Yeah no oval office. We all saw

Recoome
Nov 9, 2013

Matter of fact, I'm salty now.

ewe2 posted:

Okay so my hasty maths wasn't too far off

Starshark
Dec 22, 2005
Doctor Rope
I've never been so glad that I don't work for Centrelink any more. I used to hate it when parents called about losing their pension because their youngest was turning 16, it's just a nightmare now. And now with these sub-moronic debts. Yeesh.

open24hours
Jan 7, 2001

quote:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-29/turnbull-and-trump-talk-about-refugee-resettlement-deal/8220824
Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and US President Donald Trump emphasised the "enduring strength and closeness" of the US-Australia relationship in a 25-minute phone call, the White House says.

The phone call came just a day after Mr Trump signed an executive order suspending his country's refugee program, throwing doubt on Australia's refugee resettlement deal with the US.

"Both leaders emphasised the enduring strength and closeness of the US-Australia relationship that is critical for peace, stability and prosperity in the Asia-Pacific region and globally," the White House said in a statement.

The leaders had been expected to discuss the refugee resettlement deal, in which some refugees on Manus Island or Nauru would be resettled in the US instead of Australia.

The White House statement made no mention of the issue.

Mr Turnbull's office has released no further details about the phone call.

Before the call, Mr Turnbull said there is a section in Mr Trump's executive order which states officials can still admit refugees under pre-existing international agreements.

The ABC understands that section was included in the final version of the executive order after the Prime Minister's office intervened.

"We are very confident and satisfied that existing arrangements will continue," Mr Turnbull said before the call.

"It's quite clear that the administration has set out in the order the ability to deal with existing arrangements."

Earlier this week senior government sources said they were confident the orders will not impact the deal to resettle refugees currently on Manus Island and Nauru, entered into late last year with former president Barack Obama.

Authorities had hoped to begin moving people to the US at the start of this year.

Deputy Prime Minister Barnaby Joyce said it would not be the end of the world if the deal did not go ahead.

When asked by Sydney radio station 2GB if the deal would proceed, Mr Joyce responded: "Let's see."

"I hope that this, which has been well planned and well thought out, goes forward," he said.

The US President has also spoken with Russian President Vladimir Putin and German Chancellor Angela Merkel today.

With the government so invested in the resettlement deal I hate to think how hard they'll be willing to sell out to see it go through.

Cocomonk3
Oct 21, 2010

Ten Becquerels posted:

One of my larp buddies is running for the Greens in Forrestfield. Super put together, charming guy. Not much chance for him, sadly, but still.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

• Locked thread