Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

I think it is weirder that they had the resources to send 4 ships away when:

1 - either they were ignoring the reaper threat and had no reason to send the ships

or

2 - they knew about the reapers and felt they could spare that many resources

Verdict: game will have lovely writing again.

Nobody knew or believed in Reapers at the time they sent the ships out. And if they did, they certain;ly didn't think it would be as massive a threat as it turned out to be. It would be like the Geth attacking, or something, at worst - I'm sure most people thought it was space bandits like angry vorcha or wahtever.

Why the worlds didn't send out a pulse emergency update message to the arks at the moment of attack, who the gently caress knows? Or afterwards.

I REALLY hope Cerberus is kept at a minimum. They're just the loving dumbest.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Mass Effect 6: Call of Cerberus will just be a completely reskinned Call of Duty Modern Warfare 1 game. It will just be straight asset swaps and some dialogue changed so Russia is now Cerberus Alliance.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Cerberus was Mac Walters' baby, so with him gone who knows. Sadly they would be one of the few ways to explain the Arks being funded and launched before ME3.

spacetoaster
Feb 10, 2014

Admiral Ray posted:

The Andromeda Initiative can't even relay success or failure on a meaningful time scale.

Wasn't there a quantum radio in Mass Effect? That would work.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

spacetoaster posted:

It takes 600 years (with the poo poo rear end drive speed humans/turians/milky wayians have) to get to Andromeda so no matter how it is sliced it'll take 600 years to get a "mission success" signal.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Admiral Ray posted:

It takes 600 years (with the poo poo rear end drive speed humans/turians/milky wayians have) to get to Andromeda so no matter how it is sliced it'll take 600 years to get a "mission success" signal.

Not with a quantum comunicator. That poo poo's instantaneous. And if they communicated via text than a loving 360 hologram I'm sure they'd be able to write tons of information in their reports.

Kavak posted:

Cerberus was Mac Walters' baby, so with him gone who knows. Sadly they would be one of the few ways to explain the Arks being funded and launched before ME3.

Isn't Mac Walters the project lead developer now? I thought he had been promoted after ME3 or ME2?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

Drifter posted:

Isn't Mac Walters the project lead developer now? I thought he had been promoted after ME3 or ME2?

Huh, thought he left at some point. Oh well, Cerberus and poo poo writing guaranteed! (Not that it wasn't before)

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Drifter posted:

Not with a quantum comunicator. That poo poo's instantaneous. And if they communicated via text than a loving 360 hologram I'm sure they'd be able to write tons of information in their reports.

No, it takes 600 years for the Andromeda Initiative to reach Andromeda. Which means even with instantaneous comms you have to wait at least 600 years for the mission to succeed.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

spacetoaster posted:

And who would be using it in the Milky Way? Everyone's dead and the galaxy is kaput.

Neon Knight
Jan 14, 2009

Admiral Ray posted:

No, it takes 600 years for the Andromeda Initiative to reach Andromeda. Which means even with instantaneous comms you have to wait at least 600 years for the mission to succeed.

Are you saying Milky Way people would just fire and forget about the Andromeda Initiative? Pretty sure they would set a reminder at Alliance NASA that they have a intergalactic mission to check in on when the time comes. They could write around the ability to communicate, some bullshit about half-life of entangled particles making such a comms system not sustainable for 600 years. Or a Reaper attack on Alliance science centres have destroyed their half of the pair.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
LOL if the reapers were hanging in dark space between MW and Andromeda. Fly right into them. That would be the best. And for the best.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

turns out everyone just forgot, when the andromeda team calls home it shows up as unidentified caller and everyone lets it go to voicemail

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Even if galactic civilisation wasn't completely destroyed you can bet that 600 years later the quantum entangled bit of the space radio wouldn't be working.

600 years of dust, smoker's cigarettes, uncleaned dust filters and bottom space dollar outsourced maintenance during hamfisted budget cutbacks by incompetent managers.
Then you get fun things like sprinkler systems going off, power surges, clumsy removalists during a change of location, Bobby dropping a pallet on his space forklift, etc

It wouldn't last 60 years, let alone 600. Space phone's broke sorry.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Gonna be so happy when Kai Leng pops out of an air vent and stabs Ryder's dad, setting our hero off on a voyage of both internal and intergalactic discovery.

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy
Klaus, congratulations on passing the course! Here is your forklift license. Your first job will be to move this unique one of a kind quantum entanglement machine from warehouse 21 to warehouse 82.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oB6DN5dYWo

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

jfood posted:

Gonna be so happy when Kai Leng pops out of an air vent and stabs Ryder's dad, setting our hero off on a voyage of both internal and intergalactic discovery.

It'll be in the opening scene: Dad Ryder pissed off TIM by saying Cara won't be the next pathfinder. Kai Leng appears and sabotages his cryo pod and upon reaching Andromeda, Dad Ryder is decrepit and useless.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Kavak posted:

Huh, thought he left at some point. Oh well, Cerberus and poo poo writing guaranteed! (Not that it wasn't before)

The guy who's gone is the Halo 4 writer.

Dolash
Oct 23, 2008

aNYWAY,
tHAT'S REALLY ALL THERE IS,
tO REPORT ON THE SUBJECT,
oF ME GETTING HURT,

Waltzing Along posted:

The problem is that the milky way galaxy, in the games, is barely explored. There are a bunch of mass relays they don't even use for fear of what might be on the other end. And that's a tiny percentage of the ares that actually have a relay.

There is no reason to leave the galaxy whatsoever.

Whatever happened to "because it's there"? Humans explored all over the Earth to find out if they could even when we haven't packed our local region to capacity, and after joining a galactic society that's made moving around and colonizing the galaxy commonplace the Next Big Thing is to find out what's happening on the next galaxy over.

If anything the most believable part of the story is humanity immediately trying to one-up the galactic community they've just joined by trying a massive prestige mission to expand further than any of their new neighbours have ever tried, and it's even sort of in keeping with humanity's history in-universe since the Systems Alliance gets in trouble for trying to claim more territory than it needs or can even defend.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Admiral Ray posted:

It'll be in the opening scene: Dad Ryder pissed off TIM by saying Cara won't be the next pathfinder. Kai Leng appears and sabotages his cryo pod and upon reaching Andromeda, Dad Ryder is decrepit and useless.

Your sibling will be captured by Cerberus and transformed into Kai Ryder in time for Andromeda 2: Cerberus Rising.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Dolash posted:

Whatever happened to "because it's there"? Humans explored all over the Earth to find out if they could even when we haven't packed our local region to capacity, and after joining a galactic society that's made moving around and colonizing the galaxy commonplace the Next Big Thing is to find out what's happening on the next galaxy over.

If anything the most believable part of the story is humanity immediately trying to one-up the galactic community they've just joined by trying a massive prestige mission to expand further than any of their new neighbours have ever tried, and it's even sort of in keeping with humanity's history in-universe since the Systems Alliance gets in trouble for trying to claim more territory than it needs or can even defend.

Because it doesn't make sense to send people 600 years away when you have 99% of a galaxy left to explore. That's why.

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

Who wants to explore a galaxy you're already living in? Losers and weiners and suburban moms, that's who.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Waltzing Along posted:

Because it doesn't make sense to send people 600 years away when you have 99% of a galaxy left to explore. That's why.

Actually...it does.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

AriadneThread posted:

turns out everyone just forgot, when the andromeda team calls home it shows up as unidentified caller and everyone lets it go to voicemail

new ansible who dis?

tayvaan
Oct 22, 2010

Waltzing Along posted:

Its less that people are being sent and more that people want to go

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

marshmallow creep posted:

The guy who's gone is the Halo 4 writer.

At least he left his fingerprints all over with a bad guy named THE ARCHON in the classic Halo style of every loving enemy being called by a title instead of a goddamn name. The Didact, The Prophet, The Arbiter, The Clerk, The IT Guy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

If you try to call the Milky Way, Grunt picks up the comm line on the other end and says "No."

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

chiasaur11 posted:

If you try to call the Milky Way, Grunt picks up the comm line on the other end and says "No."

In the Citadel dlc the Arks try calling, but due to some weird antenna problems Grunt ends up answering and tells them they can't come in; the ark people think they've been banned from the Milky Way.

Grunt wakes up in a shower stall the next morning.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

AngryBooch posted:

At least he left his fingerprints all over with a bad guy named THE ARCHON in the classic Halo style of every loving enemy being called by a title instead of a goddamn name. The Didact, The Prophet, The Arbiter, The Clerk, The IT Guy.

That was the only part that almost made me groan about the latest trailer, honestly.

Can we at least have the main bad guy show up more times and we interact with him this time, maybe even fight him a little once in awhile to show us he's still a threat?

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

While we've been arguing about "but why?" Bioware has been sharing more on twitter:

quote:

Michael Gamble ‏@gamblemike
Let us introduce you to the angara.

after spending a while with them, they are my favorite.

prince charmless 👑 ‏@shisnos
@gamblemike can i kiss the,m

@shisnos mhm

Note he doesn't confirm you can kiss that one in particular, but you can romance an Angaran.

quote:

Ian S. Frazier‏ @tibermoon
@The_Elder_King @proboards Ah, I see it has indeed gone public. Yes, I can confirm you get 2 choose the training Ryder had in the Milky Way.

So while the twins were stationed at different sites, you get to pick what they did leading up to and possibly during those assignments.

quote:

Ian S. Frazier @tibermoon
Ack! Friggin' H!

Aaryn Flynn ‏aarynflynn
DAMMIT

It's Sara, not Sarah.

quote:

@tibermoon will we get to see the other leaders of their respective pathfinder teams ?

Ian S. Frazier‏ @tibermoon
@Experience_Rafi If you play the game? Yes. :)

quote:

Recovering Globetard ‏@freddyloveskarl
So, does the cycle of AI genocide Catalyst was created to prevent also happen in the Andromeda?

Mac Walters @macwalterslives
Absolutely No.

Thank. God.

quote:

Vaaron Hunter ‏@savetheking96
aarynflynn can you confirm the NUMBER of squadmates please?

Aaryn Flynn aarynflynn
@savetheking96 We'll do that soon

quote:

Admiral Anderson ‏@ieat_JEDi
Will weapon weight affect cool downs like it did in ME:3?

Yes, though the details of how the system works have changed.

quote:

Jos "JLEV" Hendriks ‏@sjosz
So close to 0 bugs. I have not been at 0 bugs in several years now. It'll be so good to reach that again.

quote:

Ellis Williams ‏@ellis_FWH
Will there be a approval pop-up system like there was in DA:I? And if so, can we turn the pop-up off?

There is no DA-style approval system.

So you'll need to figure out if people like what you do by context clues. Brush up on your reading comprehension, goons.

quote:

floomiloo ‏@floomiloo
will we have some more hot dudes in our team? Choices for a heterosexual FemRyder seem to be low atm.

Michael Gamble @gamblemike
a few more characters that we haven't revealed yet...

Oh, and dated today:

quote:

Billy Buskell ‏@ehlien
All the DMs 👀

Fernando Melo ‏@discobabaloo
i'm anticipating most of tomorrow to be...

Billy Buskell ‏@ehlien

Rumor has it they'll show some multiplayer footage at PAX. And a dev has supposedly said they are finalizing the dates for the MP beta they invited everyone to sign up for.

Oh, and according to Game Informer when you NG+ you can swap genders.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Taht cat twi'lek alien is pretty cute you guys. More like a lion alien. I hope it has an English accent.

DO you think it has a cloaca? Maybe its carpet matches its drapes and it's got like a handful of tiny little tentacles down there. tee hee.

tralala tra tralala hee hee.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jan 28, 2017

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Drifter posted:

Taht cat twi'lek alien is pretty cute you guys. More like a lion alien. I hope it has an English accent.

DO you think it has a cloaca? Maybe its carpet matches its drapes and it's got like a handful of tiny little tentacles down there. tee hee.

tralala tra tralala hee hee.

I cant wait to gently caress Catflaps McGee!

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Waltzing Along posted:

If that 99% is like the Attican Traverse planets in ME1, there's gently caress all there. Andromeda has what's truly important in the future: new aliens to bone.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

I accept you into my party, Not-Garrus

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I'm sure this is a bad thing to bring up but I gotta vent. I'm looking forward to this, but I'm majorly disgusted by how a majority of people seem to be into these games solely to gently caress aliens. I hate bioware for catering to them so much. It creeps me way the gently caress out. The Witcher 3 is maybe my favorite game, has sex and romance in spades, but it handles it like an adult? Witcher fans seem to be more interested in literally everything else, and not the technicals behind jamming body parts into robots or cloaca or whatever.

I'm really good at detaching something from the fanbase, but gently caress me this is starting to put me off this franchise completely.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

basic hitler posted:

I'm sure this is a bad thing to bring up but I gotta vent. I'm looking forward to this, but I'm majorly disgusted by how a majority of people seem to be into these games solely to gently caress aliens. I hate bioware for catering to them so much. It creeps me way the gently caress out. The Witcher 3 is maybe my favorite game, has sex and romance in spades, but it handles it like an adult? Witcher fans seem to be more interested in literally everything else, and not the technicals behind jamming body parts into robots or cloaca or whatever.

I'm really good at detaching something from the fanbase, but gently caress me this is starting to put me off this franchise completely.

So, basically you're against all these people mixing the races. Do I have that right, hitler?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
He's only basic hitler, he hasn't worked up all the way to full hitler.

basic hitler posted:

I don't think you're wrong at all, and yeah, you'll see a lot of people rightfully rag on Bioware for spending time writing crap romances rather than spending a little more effort on realistic friendships/relationships.

I don't know why it happens that there are fans who NEED to know there are fade to black sex scenes and a very underdeveloped 'romance' scenario, but for some reason in spite of Bioware's leanings, The Mass Effect series has been a little more restrained than the Dragon Age series.

Witcher (3) focused on developing organic relationships for the most part and it really pays off. Bioware likes the quips. Sadly, Witcher 3 writers seem to be infinitely better at writing and planning out a narrative than Bioware's writers. But Bioware fills a Sci-Fi Shooter niche and is at least passable, so as long as they're selling this poo poo they're pretty much the only place in town to get it. Biowre treats relationships (the build up to the fade to black loving) as immediate gameplay, whereas CDPr treats it as a natural byproduct of story and narrative.

I do think they've - Bioware, at least in Mass Effect - has gotten better at incorporating this, but it's not good yet. I do believe it's the fans that poison the well, and I do believe a couple of Bioware writers have come up from the fandom. It's really an echo chamber over there.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Jan 28, 2017

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Who here has the ugliest custom Shepard?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Who here has the ugliest custom Shepard?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5B7yhw6534

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

Lycus posted:

If that 99% is like the Attican Traverse planets in ME1, there's gently caress all there. Andromeda has what's truly important in the future: new aliens to bone.

poo poo. Forgot about that. That's after the sibling sex, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Zore posted:

The launch was after ME2 but before 3, planning began before ME1.

"Guys we haven't even left our Solar system yet but how about we draw up plans to travel to a whole other galaxy"