Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

WorldWarWonderful
Jul 15, 2004
Eh?
I need to get a humidifer for health reasons - is there a general rule of thumb for room humidity? Some googling says 60% or less to avoid damage to electronics but none of my manuals give me anything more definitive. Do I just box up my synths when not in use?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Most humidifiers say less than 60% to avoid excess condensation.

Noxious
Oct 22, 2002

Allow me to give you free stuff, or I will stalk you and poison your family.

WorldWarWonderful posted:

I need to get a humidifer for health reasons - is there a general rule of thumb for room humidity? Some googling says 60% or less to avoid damage to electronics but none of my manuals give me anything more definitive. Do I just box up my synths when not in use?

Depending on the humidifier you get be careful about where you locate it in relation to your hardware. Some of them can create a local area of much higher humidity.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Welp, I'm considering getting into euro. I want to do things that none of my synths can really do, specifically analog FM + waveshaping.

I've cobbled together two starter rigs, one all Doepfer, one mostly Make Noise. I like the layout of the Doepfer modules better, a lot better actually. I just don't like the west coast layouts, even if the functional density is good. I may end up with a Maths anyways, but if there are other good modulators out there that are easier to use or provide more independent modulators for the space.

Since there are so drat many modules out there, I'm sure I'll need to go beyond those two makes to get a good fit, even to start out. I'd appreciate any suggestion, and even if I do prefer my faceplates boring and clearly labeled, I'd be willing to consider almost anything useful enough. For example in the past hour I've gone from hating Disting's interface to accepting that it's probably too useful to pass up, especially early on. Any advice about building a DIY thrift store suitcase rig would be helpful too.

j.peeba
Oct 25, 2010

Almost Human
Nap Ghost
A couple of miscellaneous thoughts, you can take 'em or leave 'em as you please... :)

There's a new version of Disting (mk4) coming out next month which has a small dot matrix display instead of the LED array. It might make using the module a little less arcane and it can also mean that there will be more of the older models available 2nd hand.

Have you looked at Mutable Instruments modules? I think that they strike a fair balance between clarity and cramming extra functionality behind buttons or switchable modes and the custom firmwares people have done for them extend their usefulness even more. For waveshaping, I'd take a look at MI Warps. It's not analog though but it uses analog modeling and is super versatile. I'd also consider MI Links instead of the buffered multiples for added utility if you don't specifically need two mults.

For VCAs, I'd go for something that can be switched between linear and exponential and which has daisy-chained outputs so you can use the outputs either individually or mixed together. I have MI Veils being delivered to me today but there's plenty of others out there as well.

Maths is good.

Overall, I wouldn't stress too much about getting the perfect modules. Slowly extend your system and trade away things that don't work out for you. Of course you already know this but it bears repeating :)

Extortionist
Aug 31, 2001

Leave the gun. Take the cannoli.

AxeBreaker posted:

I've cobbled together two starter rigs, one all Doepfer, one mostly Make Noise.
First, I mean, it's eurorack. It seems kinda antithetical to use a single manufacturer's modules. Doepfer and Make Noise are great places to start, but it's worth mixing them up and looking around at other things.

It looks like you've covered the essentials in those two setups, though I'd suggest going with a different VCA + a mixer on the Doepfer if you want two VCOs, to give you more options (multiple voices, different envelopes on each VCO, etc). I have the Intellijel uVCA and Bubblesound VCA4p and would recommend both (I haven't used the Optomix, that might work just as well here). I use Doepfer A-138s for mixers, but there are tons of other options there.

Maths is neat because it's very multifunctional--you can use it for envelopes, modulation, portamento, logic, all sorts of crazy stuff. It IS a difficult module to wrap your head around, but the layout's probably the least difficult part of that. You can definitely get by without one, but it provides a lot of essential everyday functionality with a lot of versatility on top--it's a generic cliche recommendation for euroracks, but deservedly so.

Disting is almost essential, since it can do just about anything you can do with 3 inputs and 2 outputs (logic, VCO, LFO, envelopes, delay, quantization, tons more). It'll let you experiment with a lot of things that'd cost you a few hundred bucks and rack space otherwise--like I spent a while looking for a delay module since I was using my disting for delay almost exclusively, then ended up just getting a second disting since it was cheaper than all the dedicated delay modules, was smaller, and had so much more versatility.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I would personally recommend the way I started out -- with a desktop semi-modular, such as Mother-32 or 0-Coast, and building upon that. You get something that can be immediately musically useful to start, and as you expand you can use its functions with the rest of the modular. Playing around with the desktop synth for a while will give you ideas on how to go from there.

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

Tayter Swift posted:

I would personally recommend the way I started out -- with a desktop semi-modular, such as Mother-32 or 0-Coast, and building upon that. You get something that can be immediately musically useful to start, and as you expand you can use its functions with the rest of the modular. Playing around with the desktop synth for a while will give you ideas on how to go from there.

I picked up a Mother-32 shortly after starting my Eurorack setup. If I hadn't, I would have bounced off Eurorack quickly, frustrated.

On the other modules, try and be careful with how quickly you stock up on menu-diving modules like the Disting, Braids, Pamela's Workout. These modules can be fantastic, but with too many of those modules I feel like I'm spending more time looking up algorithm reference on the Disting than wiring things up.

Here's my rack after about 12 months. I don't have the Mother-32 or the 2 Korg SQ-1s in there.
https://www.modulargrid.net/e/racks/view/386821

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!
i would vote against disting, agaisnt *too much* doepfer, and for maths or a sport modulator.
the sport mod is imo a better modulation source, but the genius of maths is that its a mixer, and mixers are really key to unlocking the full power of your modular.
doepfer make great stuff (i kept my 4x 4 Matrix Mixer and sold my maths). however, doepfer eats space, both hp and depth. many of their modules are not skiff friendly. get a few (the aforementioned a-138m is prob my 2nd fave module after my visual cortex), but dont lean too heavily on dopefer or a 6u rack will prob be underwhelming. i would rate their stuff much higher if a wall of synth is your goal, but i wanted something more portable than a monosynth with a good 44 keys

disting is exaclty the sort of thing i tot into modular to avoid, so id never buy one unless it was for :tenbux: so i could make a little profit. if menus aint such a thing for you, might be good. i would get a kinks for high utility in 4 HP

the toppobrillo sport mod doesnt have independent rise and fall controls, but this can be programmed with the end gate out and a mixer, plus it is way more fun than any s&h/t&h has any right to be. its like the serge ssg, but each generator can be selected as smooth or stepped, whereas maths is basically putting a dusg into a mixer

also, while the dpo gets all kinda raves, i really like having a wavefolder that isnt tied to one osc. maybe get a couple different doepfer oscs and a wavefolder separately and some of thh mn gear too? i wouldnt go with just 2 110-4s, you can use an oscillating filter as a good modulator sine and get a diff osc with more waveshape options--you could get an intellijel rubicon if you wanted thru zero cross modulation.

i wish i had the space for the Random Source or Toppobrillo Wave Multipliers but the uFold is a lotta fun, and getting to send any kind of audio makes it a gas. i got a moddemix , ptg, and lxd instead of optomix; the moddemix has this weird clipping around zero crossings that is rather polarizing, all puns intended :-p and i love it. the lxd has a 12dB channel which i really love, and the ptg does much more interesting cv manipulations, but no mixing on these two. i def would want something with a steeper slope than 6dB/octave, and theres good filter options for every budget (the wasp and maybe the 106-5 sem as well?)

lastly, id think hard before i wasted rackspace on midi or passive mults. get a tb-03 or a beatstep pro or something instead with midi in and cv/gate out that can do that outside of the rack, and provide other functions (since obv with the midi module youll be using some external gear). instead of using rackspace for a passive mult, get some stackcables or intellijel hubs, does the same and you dont take any HP loss

lastly i would recommend against getting a semimodular because they generally lack enough mixers to really put a lotta depth into a small package

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Thanks for the input, it's all helpful, even or perhaps especially the conflicting opinions.

Just for background on why I make the choices I do, here's the most relevant of my other equipment:
MIDI Control Devices
Taktile Midi keyboard
Electribe 2 (CV Sync)
Electribe 2 Sampler (CV Sync)

CV devices:
Korg Arp Odyssey
Cyclone Analogic TT-303 Bass Bot (cause everybody needs a 303)

Effects pedals
Electro harmonix Memory Toy
Boss Reverb
ProCo Rat Overdrive Distortion

Mixer:

12 Channel mackie

I don't really want to learn another sequencer, and I don't really need any of the additional functionality of a BSP or TB-3. I could get a dark link or something like that, but I'd prefer not to have a middleman. I don't really see the MIDI as lost space because it really replaces an inboard sequencer. I might look for a smaller one though. Also it could be a skip and do later since I will be sticking to a single voice for a while, and I could just use the 303.

I am looking for more immediacy than in my big digital synths so things like Disting and Maths are problematic. Disting I want to give a trial run because it would take too much money to try all those functions as analog modules. It would be better to put up with the menu diving until I've got the utilities I need most then relegate it to the corner of the case. Maths just isn't straightforward enough for me. I'd rather have a block of modulators and a mixer than that.

I'll keep taking a look at other manufacturers. I've already put in a Disting from expert sleepers and a Quadra from Intellijel in my Doepfer rack. Mutable instruments' stuff does neat things, just not looking for those things right now, plus I'd like to avoid being too digital at this point. What are the other top, reliable manufacturers? It's kind of hard to sort out who's who with so many.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Well here's another try. This one is more space efficient and more functional. By swapping out the Doepfer waveshaper for an Intelijel one I dropped the depth to 45mm. Of course it went from ~$1300 to ~$1700 in the process, but that was inevitable. Still sticking with in-box MIDI until I can convince myself that a dark link or the like wouldn't be a horrible dangling point of failure in a portable rig.

As always, any advice is welcome.

HandlingByJebus
Jun 21, 2009

All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world, so there was only one thing I could do:
was ding a ding dang, my dang a long racecar.

It's a love affair. Mainly jebus, and my racecar.

AxeBreaker posted:

Well here's another try. This one is more space efficient and more functional. By swapping out the Doepfer waveshaper for an Intelijel one I dropped the depth to 45mm. Of course it went from ~$1300 to ~$1700 in the process, but that was inevitable. Still sticking with in-box MIDI until I can convince myself that a dark link or the like wouldn't be a horrible dangling point of failure in a portable rig.

As always, any advice is welcome.

Don't get two of the same oscillator. The Z3k is a great osc but especially in a really compact system it's worth having more textural options. Suggestion: Braids. It's kind of a cheat code, but it's such a great-sounding cheat code that I can't not suggest it.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I like these oscillators because they display a note value, and I have terrible pitch perception. If you're aiming for specific FM ratios, that's really helpful, and they have a good, clean analog sound. They sound pretty good too. I like dirty analog, but intend to focus on FM-> Waveshaping so dirty isn't helpful at all because I don't want all the extra harmonics making too much chaos in the FM process. The wave folding and and distortion will add those. I still think I could get away with a sine only for the mudulator but whatver, this can function as subtractive if I want too.

Braids is... not good. It lacks immediacy and enough specific controls for each voice. I listened to a demo of every voice and about 3/5ths sounded terrible. Some of the "Analog" voices sounded good, and some of the other digital modes sounded ok, but mostly it was very meh. Plus, the controls are inconsistent in places, like one wavetable one picks tables with tone and the next with color. It doesn't help that the Braids demos on MI's website are all really plasticky sounding, I had to go to youtube to give them a decent shot.

I've looked at several digital oscillators and I've not been impressed. I don't think sounding better than a Reface DX or a Blofeld is too high a bar to pass, so maybe I haven't found the right one yet.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Got my midi patch bay sorted (Kawai MAV8 - 4 in 8 out... with sliders :getin:) but I just realized my audio one has about 8 messed up channels trying to wire up my mixer for some mixdowns... not ideal.

Right now I have a DBX patch bay that works but I hate how the screws fall out in back, and a Neutrik one that is more solid but is the broken one. I suspect the deal on the Neutrik was just too good, hence the issues, but I'm not positive (and now kind of wary of the brand - I don't love their normalling solution).

Anyone have recommendations there? Especially curious about the Behringer ones.

Transistor Rhythm
Feb 16, 2011

If setting the Sustain Level in the ENV to around 7, you can obtain a howling sound.

Samson S-Patch plus. Little switches on the front for broken, normalled, and half normal. Affordable and well built.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

OK, after busting on Braids I have to say that Edges and Elements are pretty good, and even Tides is OK as an oscillator. Almost too clean sounding even with nasty looking wave folding.

I'm looking at links and kinks for utilities (yes I want a buffered mult, yes I know it hardly matters).
Any other logic suggestions? I feel like I've been looking at the sexy stuff while ignoring useful but boring modules.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

AxeBreaker posted:

Tides is OK as an oscillator. Almost too clean sounding even with nasty looking wave folding.

First I was like "whaaaat?" But then remembered I've been using Sheep firmware and high tide output p much since I bought it.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Yeah, I'll have to spend some time listening to Sheeps and Tides Parasites, the firmwares either make it totally different or add different modes in the case of parasites.

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.
My only previous experience with synths being the volca keys, I've just picked up a Bastl Kastle and this thing is frighteningly musical even though I only barely understand it.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

The Volca Keys has really grown on me, its a very cool synth. Lots of cool sounds very immediately. Not the stand-out I expected from those three.

Post some Kastle demos! It looks really cool but I figured it was all like sci-fi bleeps, I'm curious to hear a musical side.

Transistor Rhythm posted:

Samson S-Patch plus. Little switches on the front for broken, normalled, and half normal. Affordable and well built.

This looks like the one. Those switches are a DREAM.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

AxeBreaker posted:

Yeah, I'll have to spend some time listening to Sheeps and Tides Parasites, the firmwares either make it totally different or add different modes in the case of parasites.

Tides rules. A synth consisting entirely of a few Tides and some VCAs would legitimately be a fun system.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier

FiestaNinja posted:

My only previous experience with synths being the volca keys, I've just picked up a Bastl Kastle and this thing is frighteningly musical even though I only barely understand it.

Similarly, the Bastl Bitranger is way out there in terms of understanding; the manual straight up refers to its guts as performing magic (although you can reverse engineer some of it by watching the OMSynth tutorial videos). But, yeah, sessions with it are just addicting. Kastle is coming up next on my list. :hf:

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

I saw a suggestion on muffwiggler to use a rackmount case like this one for a DIY rack.

http://www.audiopile.net/MXC-008

The other thing I've seen done here and there is to buy a thrift store suitcase and hack it into a case and get a power supply and busboards from Doepfer or Tiptop. Either way, it looks like you can do it cheap, or easy but not both.

Honestly I better force myself to build a case before buying modules, otherwise I will just splurge to be lazy and spend money that could be spent on modules on a nice case.
Any case building tips?

eSportseXpert
Jun 24, 2005

Stupid fucking white man.

JamesKPolk posted:

The Volca Keys has really grown on me, its a very cool synth. Lots of cool sounds very immediately. Not the stand-out I expected from those three.

Post some Kastle demos! It looks really cool but I figured it was all like sci-fi bleeps, I'm curious to hear a musical side.

Admittedly a lot of what it does is very bleep bloop broken gameboy, but that can be made to be somewhat musical (to my own tastes anyway). Here are some samples of it slaved to whatever I had in the memory on my volca beats and run through a reverb pedal:

https://soundcloud.com/spinepig/sets/kastle-samples

The first two are probably the least nonsense and so it goes from there. The last one's there just cause one of the laser noises sounds like Christopher Walken going 'Owh!'. On that note you can definitely get a lot of robot vocal types sounds out of it. With a better understanding of how to control it it seems like a very versatile little box of noises if you have a place for something like that.

Mr. Glass
May 1, 2009

AxeBreaker posted:

I saw a suggestion on muffwiggler to use a rackmount case like this one for a DIY rack.

http://www.audiopile.net/MXC-008

The other thing I've seen done here and there is to buy a thrift store suitcase and hack it into a case and get a power supply and busboards from Doepfer or Tiptop. Either way, it looks like you can do it cheap, or easy but not both.

Honestly I better force myself to build a case before buying modules, otherwise I will just splurge to be lazy and spend money that could be spent on modules on a nice case.
Any case building tips?

don't cheap out on power
don't cheap out on power
don't cheap out on power
don't cheap out on power

also consider this, i have one in my case and it's the quietest switching power supply i've used. i don't like the idea of running AC myself so i prefer power solutions that run off of a power brick of some sort.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Mr. Glass posted:

don't cheap out on power
don't cheap out on power
don't cheap out on power
don't cheap out on power

also consider this, i have one in my case and it's the quietest switching power supply i've used. i don't like the idea of running AC myself so i prefer power solutions that run off of a power brick of some sort.

I'm suspicious of any system that just takes 2-pin DC power in. When you get a couple of those working together, you're gonna get noise. For safety and sound's sake, ground your poo poo. Wiring up an IEC inlet to a toroidal transformer or a switching supplies isn't rocket surgery.

That said, the Malekko supply does look really nice.

AxeBreaker
Jan 1, 2005
Who fucking cares?

Is Doepfer cheaping out, or is there any other go-to manufacturer?

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!
So I haven't made any music in a while but that's changed now that I've scored another short film.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

VoodooXT posted:

So I haven't made any music in a while but that's changed now that I've scored another short film.
It is good.

Sounds like a movie full of dread though.

Startyde
Apr 19, 2007

come post with us, forever and ever and ever

AxeBreaker posted:

Is Doepfer cheaping out, or is there any other go-to manufacturer?

On the contrary I think their offering is the best linear supply for the money. The ultimate cheap out would be like a pair of knock off meanwell 12v supplies strapped to diy bus board. Could probably do that and cardboard for 50ish.
One thing to remember is you'll always be able to sell a nice case, but nobody wants hacked together parts once you've outgrown them.

VoodooXT
Feb 24, 2006
I want Tong Po! Give me Tong Po!

Flipperwaldt posted:

It is good.

Sounds like a movie full of dread though.

It is accomplished.

So Math
Jan 8, 2013

Ghostly Clothier
I dig it.

Feline Mind Meld
Jun 14, 2007

I'm pretty creeped out
I was told that maybe this post goes here, so here is this post:

My brother is getting married soon and it seems possible that he unironically wants a keytar, so our bachelor party group is gonna split getting one for him and it'll probably be an amazing gift either way. I couldn't think of a better website to ask about this so does anyone have any experience with them or a recommendation on brand/model?

Other info: he's been pretty diligent in his practice with a semi-lovely yamaha keyboard that he's been using as an el-cheapo piano the last few years and we both have actual musical training from ~high school time so he'll probably be able to pick it up pretty fast. We're not looking top of the line but I think it'd be good to get one that isn't lovely too. Is this a reasonable thing to be looking for, a midrange keytar?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Unsure where to post about this (do we even have a DAW thread?) but I just learned that Bitwig has decided to be assholes :smith:

I really love the DAW and have been using it since it came out, but apparently they're now moving on to ~Bitwig 2~ and abandoning all the features they promised (which was a lot, including VST3 support). Not only that, but even if you've been using Bitwig since day 1 you gotta pay 160€ to upgrade and then pay a subscription fee if you want get updates, bugfixes, etc. It's absolutely bonkers.

Why do all DAWs have to suck so much?

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

Unsure where to post about this (do we even have a DAW thread?) but I just learned that Bitwig has decided to be assholes :smith:

I really love the DAW and have been using it since it came out, but apparently they're now moving on to ~Bitwig 2~ and abandoning all the features they promised (which was a lot, including VST3 support). Not only that, but even if you've been using Bitwig since day 1 you gotta pay 160€ to upgrade and then pay a subscription fee if you want get updates, bugfixes, etc. It's absolutely bonkers.

Why do all DAWs have to suck so much?

So this isn't entirely accurate. They have not 'abandoned' all the features they promised--they just didn't make it for 2.0. As anyone who has worked in software can tell you, sometimes features slip or look a lot more difficult once you get down to the implementation. AFAIK these features are still coming eventually but it does bother me not to have a road map of any sort.

Secondly, it's not a subscription fee. You are buying the software at whatever version you pay for--that software will not stop working or cut you off once the 12 month window expires. In addition to the purchase of the software you also get 12 months of (email) support and bugfixes.

I'm definitely not some crazy Bitwig appologist but I feel like your characterization is misleading. I'm also not a fan of this new business model they're trying but, being in love with the workflow and having tried the 2.0 Beta a little, I'll be picking up the update. When/if I update again after that will depend greatly on what they deliver in the coming year.

EDIT: Also, Bitwig 2.0 has VST3 support. Additionally, if you buy the update it includes the 12 months of support/bugfixes--it's not two different expenditures. (Would love to see that cost come down to ~$100 instead of $160 though--especially for 1.0 badge holders)

Bolange fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Feb 8, 2017

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
They literally promised the features though, they had a roadmap and everything. Unsurprisingly, they've since removed it from their website. I'm not saying they're doing anything illegal or that I demand the features or anything, I'm just saying that it's super scummy (which it is!)

As for the subscription thing, call it what you want. You essentially need to re-buy the software every 12 months otherwise you won't get any support (bugfixes, features, tech support, etc.) and if Bitwig 1 is any indication you're gonna need those. You can still use your software once that expires, but I feel like that should be a given considering how much money you've spent on it. Of course, the music software business is godawful to begin with, so this doesn't surprise me.. I was just hoping Bitwig would be (and they were for a while) better than that.
:negative:

I've been a Bitwig fanatic since it came out, don't get me wrong. I only use a fraction of what the DAW is capable of and that's still enough that I have a hard time using other DAWs. I'm also not saying that this change makes Bitwig worse than other (music software) companies, I'm just disappointed that they're going in this direction. I'll probably keep using Bitwig 1.0 unless/until VST3 becomes a necessity, and then... who knows. Maybe learn a new DAW.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound
Check out Studio One.

It's light on included instruments but the effects are absolutely amazing. Plus they have a trade in program for other DAWs for switching.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Gringostar posted:

Check out Studio One.

It's light on included instruments but the effects are absolutely amazing. Plus they have a trade in program for other DAWs for switching.

Studio One is solid, but it's a totally different workflow than Bitwig, at least from my brief experience with both.

Bolange
Sep 27, 2012
College Slice

Your Computer posted:

They literally promised the features though, they had a roadmap and everything. Unsurprisingly, they've since removed it from their website. I'm not saying they're doing anything illegal or that I demand the features or anything, I'm just saying that it's super scummy (which it is!)

They've indicated the features are still coming, just no tentative date. A roadmap is just an estimate--these things definitely slip and people treating a roadmap as a promised delivery date is part of why no one wants to provide one. I wouldn't call it super scummy but they could definitely improve their communication on this matter.

Your Computer posted:

As for the subscription thing, call it what you want. You essentially need to re-buy the software every 12 months otherwise you won't get any support (bugfixes, features, tech support, etc.) and if Bitwig 1 is any indication you're gonna need those. You can still use your software once that expires, but I feel like that should be a given considering how much money you've spent on it.

The removal of your ability to use the software when your subscription lapses is a key feature of a 'subscription' model--see also any web service or other subscription software like Adobe Creative Suite. The fact that you can keep using it is definitely *not* a "given" in the world of software subscriptions. You do not *need* to re-buy the software at the end of the 12 months. If there's no compelling reason to spend another $160 then don't. Keep making music with the Bitwig you'll still have until such time you feel there is another $160 worth of value to buy into. Seems reasonable to me but the price is definitely too high imo.

Your Computer posted:

I've been a Bitwig fanatic since it came out, don't get me wrong. I only use a fraction of what the DAW is capable of and that's still enough that I have a hard time using other DAWs. I'm also not saying that this change makes Bitwig worse than other (music software) companies, I'm just disappointed that they're going in this direction. I'll probably keep using Bitwig 1.0 unless/until VST3 becomes a necessity, and then... who knows. Maybe learn a new DAW.

For the record, I'm disappointed too but I feel like Bitwig 2.0 is worth the $160 *to me* due to a mixture new features and polish, sunk costs in learning the DAW and future potential. At the end of the 12 months I'll make another assessment and go from there but if it's a dumpster fire there's always Ableton I guess...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

thinking of picking up bitwig soon since I want something with a clip based option, and the pricing model seems fine? the only reason I would be concerned is if i ended up stuck on a buggy build at the end of the year. I'm perfectly happy with a system that rewards me for waiting to upgrade.