Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Will the global economy implode in 2016?
We're hosed - I have stocked up on canned goods
My private security guards will shoot the paupers
We'll be good or at least coast along
I have no earthly clue
View Results

• Locked thread
PenguinKnight
Apr 6, 2009

AKA Pseudonym posted:

So now that Trump has revealed himself to be a true blue protectionist why is the stock market still going up?

stock markets operate in a different reality :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
If the markets crash and we have another recession/depression happening, what happens if Trump orders the GOP to pull a China and close markets/make it illegal to sell/deny reality etc?

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC

Raenir Salazar posted:

If the markets crash and we have another recession/depression happening, what happens if Trump orders the GOP to pull a China and close markets/make it illegal to sell/deny reality etc?

That would be total chaos.

People and investors would panic.

shrike82
Jun 11, 2005

You guys need to read up on your market history. The SEC temporarily banned short sale of financial stocks in '08 so it's not unprecedented in the US.

ohgodwhat
Aug 6, 2005

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

How's the auto industry doing?

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

AKA Pseudonym posted:

So now that Trump has revealed himself to be a true blue protectionist why is the stock market still going up?

Because investors are idiots and the stock market's ups and downs rarely have any basis in objective reality.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Charles Mansion posted:

I'm curious to hear why you think this is the case.

Even though tech is growing the amount of money being thrown at it is absolutely absurd. People are piling massive amounts of cash on basically any startup hoping that they'll get on the ground floor of the next Google or Microsoft. Tech will do fine but tech investment is bubbling.

Everybody needs technology these days so it won't be a disaster like a massive housing bubble but the financial sector is inflating everything it can get its blood funnel in right now in a desperate attempt to have exponential growth forever. They're failing and tech is pretty much the only thing that potentially has insane returns. Instead we get things like Theranos and Uber.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Even though tech is growing the amount of money being thrown at it is absolutely absurd. People are piling massive amounts of cash on basically any startup hoping that they'll get on the ground floor of the next Google or Microsoft. Tech will do fine but tech investment is bubbling.

Everybody needs technology these days so it won't be a disaster like a massive housing bubble but the financial sector is inflating everything it can get its blood funnel in right now in a desperate attempt to have exponential growth forever. They're failing and tech is pretty much the only thing that potentially has insane returns. Instead we get things like Theranos and Uber.

Welp, as long as I can still hold a job as a programmer... :pray:

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Pollyanna posted:

Welp, as long as I can still hold a job as a programmer... :pray:

You'll be fine until computers can program themselves. There's a massive shortage of programmers worldwide and even if the tech sector has an exploding bubble...well fact is every company will still need a website, the data will still need scienced, and somebody will still have to code the next Call of Halostrike Warfare 37: Now Even More Modern.

When computers can program themselves either we're all hosed or we get a Star Trek utopia.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Global VC investment in 2016 was about a quarter lower than in 2015, fwiw. I can't find a good tracking for "tech" specifically, which isn't surprising given the fluid definition. What do you have in mind?

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You'll be fine until computers can program themselves. There's a massive shortage of programmers worldwide and even if the tech sector has an exploding bubble...well fact is every company will still need a website, the data will still need scienced, and somebody will still have to code the next Call of Halostrike Warfare 37: Now Even More Modern.

When computers can program themselves either we're all hosed or we get a Star Trek utopia.

So, hosed, got it. I look forward to our glorious neo-feudal techno-aristocracy future.

Well, metaphorically obviously, I will be long since killed in the interim purges.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

ToxicSlurpee posted:

You seen the number of no-nothing code-illiterate imbeciles being pumped out by "bootcamps"? Specialized programming ain't dying, but the industry has taken the attitude that if it can't import slaves from India to drive down wages - it'll just manufacture an artificial glut of developers itself to achieve the same.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

True. By the time we get to that last part, we're probably turbofucked, and it'll be a ways off anyway.

Rime posted:

You seen the number of no-nothing code-illiterate imbeciles being pumped out by "bootcamps"? Specialized programming ain't dying, but the industry has taken the attitude that if it can't import slaves from India to drive down wages - it'll just manufacture an artificial glut of developers itself to achieve the same.

This too, though. I would actually argue that there's a surplus of developers out there, and the jobs that are available boil down to Rails monkey stuff as opposed to actually interesting stuff like systems programming and architecture. And those monkey jobs aren't going to last as companies go under.

White Rock
Jul 14, 2007
Creativity flows in the bored and the angry!

ToxicSlurpee posted:

a desperate attempt to have exponential growth forever.
Capitalism in a nutshell.

The fact that a surplus of labor is such a huge problem is incredibly paradoxically ironic i have trouble finding words for it.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Rime posted:

The main thing that's doing is making it harder to find a programming job if you're a newbie with no experience. Actual universities are making their CS degrees easier to crank out more people with CS degrees. Code illiterate people who went to a lovely boot camp aren't developers; they're people who got scammed. That isn't a problem of the industry but a problem of America being lovely. People know that being a programmer is a pretty sweet gig so they'll do anything to get a programming job. Boot camps know that so they're cropping up everywhere to collect money and make promises.

Once you're proven it's balls easy to find new jobs. If you're experienced and good then recruiters won't leave you the gently caress alone. Boot camp graduates are not competing with that pool of talent and sane tech companies know that. There are a bajillion stories of companies deciding to do their tech stuff more cheaply by hiring the cheapest programmers they can find only to end up paying more in the long run. Idiots are still doing that but other companies are realizing just how valuable good tech talent is.

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

ToxicSlurpee posted:

If you're experienced and good then recruiters won't leave you the gently caress alone.

True. I get messages on LinkedIn all the time begging me to jump ship to the latest startup or company looking to poach talent. If you have any work history, you'll be in high demand. Now, getting that work history is a task in itself...

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/jan/26/trump-calls-for-20-tax-on-mexican-imports-to-pay-for-border-wall

The trade war with Mexico is a go.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
It's going to be hilarious when Mexico takes down Trump. My MAGA hat wearing Republican uncle, one of those mythical "small business owners", is probably making GBS threads himself now since he does a lot of business that involves both Mexico and Mexican immigrant labor. He spent all election saying the wall thing was just a stunt and that Trump wouldn't really destroy American business by doing something so stupid as messing with important border trade.

Pollyanna posted:

This too, though. I would actually argue that there's a surplus of developers out there, and the jobs that are available boil down to Rails monkey stuff as opposed to actually interesting stuff like systems programming and architecture. And those monkey jobs aren't going to last as companies go under.
This is basically what Capital does anytime it runs into an expensive, skilled labor field. If it can't be automated, then simplify it into repeatable, more digestible tasks that expand the pool of labor and lower the wages paid. They turned yesterdays short order cook into today's McDonalds Ketchup squirter. It's also a lot of what is behind the big push for technology in the classroom. Leave the teaching up to the computer software and make the teacher into a "technology facilitator".

cheese fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Jan 27, 2017

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Shop around for doctors! Always fucking shop for doctors. Doctors are stupid assholes. And they get by because people are cowed by their mystical bullshit quality of being able to maintain a 3.0 GPA at some Guatemalan medical college for 3 semesters. Find one that makes sense.
edit: double post

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cheese posted:

It's going to be hilarious when Mexico takes down Trump. My MAGA hat wearing Republican uncle, one of those mythical "small business owners", is probably making GBS threads himself now since he does a lot of business that involves both Mexico and Mexican immigrant labor. He spent all election saying the wall thing was just a stunt and that Trump wouldn't really destroy American business by doing something so stupid as messing with important border trade.

That's the thing that truly, genuinely baffles me about Trump voters. It's like..you voted him in. Based on what he said.

Now he's being exactly what he promised. And they're...surprised? Like really guys, you made your bed now you get to lie in it.

The other side of it is that when you're on good terms with the neighbors you don't actively do things to piss them off. Mexico and the U.S. have been on pretty good terms for quite a long time. Why throw that away? I know the obvious answer is "racism" and that's basically why so many Trump voters are cheering it but really...all they harp on is the illegals but there are a poo poo load of Mexicans legally here that would actually quite like you to not gently caress up the less legally here Mexicans as well as, you know, Mexico itself.

I think that's one thing that people forget and why this whole gently caress SANCTUARY CITIES!!! thing is stupid. This hate piled on Mexicans is going to lose any good will Mexican communities in America have toward the nation and the government. That isn't good. There are over 11,000,000 legal U.S. citizens that are Mexican. We should probably endeavor to stay on good terms with them. Given that the GOP has also been actively trying to court the Hispanic vote they're probably not happy with Trump loving it up for them.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

ToxicSlurpee posted:

That's the thing that truly, genuinely baffles me about Trump voters. It's like..you voted him in. Based on what he said.

Now he's being exactly what he promised. And they're...surprised? Like really guys, you made your bed now you get to lie in it.

Eh I know gay guys who voted for Trump who insisted he would never ever appoint an anti-gay supreme court justice because he hires gay people and has gay friends. All those times Trump said he'd do exactly that? Just lies to pander to Republicans, but in office he'll betray them and not me.

This kind of thing has ceased to surprise me.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

VitalSigns posted:

Eh I know gay guys who voted for Trump who insisted he would never ever appoint an anti-gay supreme court justice because he hires gay people and has gay friends. All those times Trump said he'd do exactly that? Just lies to pander to Republicans, but in office he'll betray them and not me.

Yup. I think a lot of it is that they're starting to realize the dreadful things their party stands for and are trying to justify electing people that act like cartoon villains.

A hell of a lot of Republicans are squirming right now because what they've been voting for is now nakedly out in the open and, well poo poo, it turns out that we actually were electing a bunch of xenophobic assholes hostile to anything that isn't a rich white guy.

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

It's been pointed out elsewhere that the United States imports a lot of food from Mexico.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-26/a-mexican-border-tax-would-hit-avocados-chili-peppers-beer
  • Fresh vegetables -- The U.S. imported from Mexico $4.84 billion of tomatoes, onions, chili peppers and other vegetables. That’s more than four times what was purchased from Canada, the next biggest importer.
  • Fresh fruit -- There were $4.28 billion of shipments, including raspberries, strawberries and avocados. Mexico sells more than twice as much fresh fruit to the U.S. as the No. 2 importer, Chile.
  • Wine and beer -- Hold that Corona? Mexico led this category, supplying $2.7 billion, almost $1 billion ahead of its biggest competitor, Italy.
  • Snack foods -- With $1.72 billion of imports into the U.S., Mexico is No. 2 here, while Canada sells roughly twice as much.

Thinking about it Trump could impose a 15% tariff via executive order by declaring an emergency any flimsy exucse (Mexico's trade with us is a disaster!) and spike food prices.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Yup. I think a lot of it is that they're starting to realize the dreadful things their party stands for and are trying to justify electing people that act like cartoon villains.

A hell of a lot of Republicans are squirming right now because what they've been voting for is now nakedly out in the open and, well poo poo, it turns out that we actually were electing a bunch of xenophobic assholes hostile to anything that isn't a rich white guy.

Yeah I expect to see a lot of "moderates" start separating themselves from Trump when his plans really start failing and his stupid mistakes really make the party look like a joke. A Republican I knew had the good foresight to call Trump a "Democrat in disguise" during the election.

That doesn't mean they wouldn't vote for him again but I expect they don't like their shittiness so out in the open without getting the benefit of the doubt that they are the party of economic geniuses and certainly not racist or sexist no siree.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

VitalSigns posted:

Yeah you could see it from the word go throughout the campaign. Hell TheSarus was making up poo poo Trump promised that he would do but the other stuff was pandering (he's going to legalize weed you guys really)

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

SHY NUDIST GRRL posted:

Yeah you could see it from the word go throughout the campaign. Hell TheSarus was making up poo poo Trump promised that he would do but the other stuff was pandering (he's going to legalize weed you guys really)

to be fair, people did this with obama too. people thought he was this super leftist even though in the guy's own book he talks about the importance of building consensus and working with political opponents to craft policy that may not be exactly what he wants but will still get the job done.

and then when obamacare passed the far left started calling the guy a traitor for doing exactly what he promised. you can never please a fundamentalist because you can never match their absurd projections of what you actually are.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

axeil posted:

to be fair, people did this with obama too. people thought he was this super leftist even though in the guy's own book he talks about the importance of building consensus and working with political opponents to craft policy that may not be exactly what he wants but will still get the job done.

and then when obamacare passed the far left started calling the guy a traitor for doing exactly what he promised. you can never please a fundamentalist because you can never match their absurd projections of what you actually are.

Dude, his campaign slogan was "Hope and change" and he'd supported single payer in the past. It was hardly unreasonable to think he'd be at least a little more progressive than he turned out to be. Plus his campaign did very little to correct this misconception, which was kind of a dick move.

call to action
Jun 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

VitalSigns posted:

I know Democrats who thought Obama would never try to slash Social Security because he was a hope-and-change progressive. All those times he clearly indicated that he was a milquetoast neoliberal? Just lies to pander to bipartisanship, but in office he'll betray them and not me.

This kind of thing has ceased to surprise me, too.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD
Ultimately, the economic impact of the wall and a trade war is worth it for the GOP. It keeps the base content, gives them someone/something to take their brewing economic rage out against and gives them further excuses for why their lives keep getting worse. When the alternative is your base finally figuring out that it was you all along that killed the American Dream, you'll build the wall.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

Proud Christian Mom posted:

Ultimately, the economic impact of the wall and a trade war is worth it for the GOP. It keeps the base content, gives them someone/something to take their brewing economic rage out against and gives them further excuses for why their lives keep getting worse. When the alternative is your base finally figuring out that it was you all along that killed the American Dream, you'll build the wall.
Couldn't disagree more. Election analysis basically confirms the hypothesis that Republicans always turn out reliably and Democrats are emotional voters who can't be bothered to show up if they are not moved emotionally one way or another. Obama crushed McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012, and Trump beat Hillary in 2016, not because the Republican base was fired up (hint: they were fired up for all 3) but because different amounts of Democratic leaning voters bothered to show up to the polls.

If this Wall happens and its an actual boondoggle (it will be a boondoggle), and an insane tariff affects the day to day life of Americans, Trump is going to get demolished in 2020 by whatever empty pantsuit the Democrats run. Book(er) it.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

cheese posted:

Couldn't disagree more. Election analysis basically confirms the hypothesis that Republicans always turn out reliably and Democrats are emotional voters who can't be bothered to show up if they are not moved emotionally one way or another.

It's worth considering that the Republicans *were* moved emotionally by Trump. His bigoted politics were a wet dream for them.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Maybe the Far Right, but I definitely know Republicans who are making GBS threads themselves right now. That's what happens when you treat Politics as Football teams.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

cheese posted:

If this Wall happens and its an actual boondoggle (it will be a boondoggle), and an insane tariff affects the day to day life of Americans, Trump is going to get demolished in 2020 by whatever empty pantsuit the Democrats run. Book(er) it.

On the flip side if the wall causes few problems other than being a money sink (not a huge issue considering how much we spend on bombs and such) and the trade war causes only negligible price increases while forcing even a few symbolic company's to relocate locally it could become the feather in his cap that rockets him into a second term.

readingatwork fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Jan 28, 2017

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

cheese posted:

Couldn't disagree more. Election analysis basically confirms the hypothesis that Republicans always turn out reliably and Democrats are emotional voters who can't be bothered to show up if they are not moved emotionally one way or another. Obama crushed McCain in 2008 and Romney in 2012, and Trump beat Hillary in 2016, not because the Republican base was fired up (hint: they were fired up for all 3) but because different amounts of Democratic leaning voters bothered to show up to the polls.

Here's the thing, though; America has stated pretty strongly that we didn't want Trump. He lost the popular vote by multiple millions and entered the presidency with a record-breakingly low entry approval rating. The massive, nationwide protests that have been happening constantly ever since he won are just another indicator.

There are only two ways he wins again; either he pulls his head out of his rear end and actually is a good president (lol no) or the GOP fucks up voting so badly democracy is effectively over. It's also starting to come out that he's basically just a puppet for his political pals, who are all pushing god awful things, so if they don't go full Hitler they're going to have trouble keeping power. Less insane Republicans are absolutely horrified at what is going on.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Xand_Man posted:

Maybe the Far Right, but I definitely know Republicans who are making GBS threads themselves right now. That's what happens when you treat Politics as Football teams.
GOP leadership is apparently freaking out behind the scenes because they spent 7 years railing against Obamacare, but now they actually have to govern and all they can really do with their crazy caucus is repeal Obamacare through budget reconciliation. They have basically conceded behind closed doors that there will not be any kind of full-scale replacement legislation because they don't have the GOP votes and the Dems would have to get onboard and they aren't going to. So the most likely thing is possibly reinstating limited parts of Obamacare like keeping kids on the parents' insurance until 26 or whatever as its own legislation (although I am skeptical that this will work because an amendment to keep that and the pre-existing conditions ban in place failed to pass earlier).

The 4th Quarter GDP/end of year GDP numbers were not great apparently. With Trump doing god knows what and all of the uncertainty over healthcare going away I figure we are in for a recession sooner rather than later.

cheese
Jan 7, 2004

BarbarianElephant posted:

It's worth considering that the Republicans *were* moved emotionally by Trump. His bigoted politics were a wet dream for them.
No more or less motivated than they were by old vietnam vet or a Mormon Wall Street guy. Their turnout just doesn't increase or decrease in meaningful ways between Presidential election cycles.

readingatwork posted:

On the flip side if the wall causes few problems other than being a money sink (not a huge issue considering how much we spend on bombs and such) and the trade war causes only negligible price increases while forcing even a few symbolic company's to relocate locally it could become the feather in his cap that rockets him into a second term.
Again, I haven't seen anything that suggests Republican turnout numbers matter at all, because they just don't really change. Hillary lost because not enough people who voted for Obama showed up to vote for her - not because more people voted for Trump. How he governs will have little effect on his turnout in 2020 - how he governs will have a BIG effect on Democratic turn out, which is what will or won't defeat him.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

call to action posted:

I know Democrats who thought Obama would never try to slash Social Security because he was a hope-and-change progressive. All those times he clearly indicated that he was a milquetoast neoliberal? Just lies to pander to bipartisanship, but in office he'll betray them and not me.

This kind of thing has ceased to surprise me, too.

Eh this isn't really a good comparison at least for general election voters because the opposition party's candidates were objectively worse on this issue.

CheeseSpawn
Sep 15, 2004
Doctor Rope

readingatwork posted:

Dude, his campaign slogan was "Hope and change" and he'd supported single payer in the past. It was hardly unreasonable to think he'd be at least a little more progressive than he turned out to be. Plus his campaign did very little to correct this misconception, which was kind of a dick move.

"In other statements, Obama has spoken favorably of single-payer in concept, but always adding qualifiers."Obama's advertising and marketing was quite brilliant that it won awards. With a campaign like that at the time of the recession, it's easy to project Obama as some sort of leftist savior. The wake up call came quickly when Obama started to name his cabinet picks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

CheeseSpawn posted:

it's easy to project Obama as some sort of leftist savior. The wake up call came quickly when Obama started to name his cabinet picks.

No one who bothered to read his book should have been surprised. Paraphrased cause I gave my copy away: "I am going to disappoint them" and "I would have been a Republican in the eighties" Are things that are in there. He told everybody what he was. Anybody upset about him being exactly what he said he was is a bit daft.

• Locked thread