Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

PBS posted:

Do you just casually bring up snake people in conversations now since you see them being talked about so often?

As a snake person myself I am obligated to remind everybody around me about that fact.

It's my duty.

Really though I don't think I've uttered the word millennial more than a half dozen times in real life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

pr0digal posted:

As a snake person myself I am obligated to remind everybody around me about that fact.

It's my duty.

Really though I don't think I've uttered the word millennial more than a half dozen times in real life.

I hear it a lot at work, specifically in regard to complaints on the end of year employee feedback surveys.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

PBS posted:

I hear it a lot at work, specifically in regard to complaints on the end of year employee feedback surveys.

Come to think of it I mentioned to MAH GIRLFRIEND once that the employees of one of our clients were mainly hipster millennials.

loving new media companies are full of em. It can make client visits super annoying when bros in beanies and Supreme merch bust out memes unironically.

PBS
Sep 21, 2015

pr0digal posted:

Come to think of it I mentioned to MAH GIRLFRIEND once that the employees of one of our clients were mainly hipster millennials.

loving new media companies are full of em. It can make client visits super annoying when bros in beanies and Supreme merch bust out memes unironically.

You're just jelly of my sweet references bro.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
:) We're moving to a new NAS and we need a print out of every folder on the old NAS
:eng101: Why do you need a print out, what are you using it for?
:) We want to compare the folders on both NAS's to make sure all the data moved over
:eng101: why not have a PC do it? You could run a comparison in a matter of minutes and be done with it
:) No we want to do it by hand, just print out the list.

Sent them their 700 page document, have fun I guess.

Super Slash
Feb 20, 2006

You rang ?

Blue_monday posted:

My opinion: 'Ideas' people who have no idea how complicated (or unnecessary) some things can be.
"Can't you just like, hurry things along? I really to get this done it's urgent"

Every time. Someone here is doing some kind of marketing campaign which I provided a fresh (non-geo) telephone number for, however now they want to change it to something else that's a (freephone) number which we don't have any in stock. A day after its ordered there are cries of hurrying it up... uh no, you should've planned ahead we don't call the shots when it comes to buying stuff in.

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Super Slash posted:

"Can't you just like, hurry things along? I really to get this done it's urgent"

"Guess you should have talked to us even one time before you decided on your deadline/urgency."

hazzlebarth
May 13, 2013

uPen posted:

:) We're moving to a new NAS and we need a print out of every folder on the old NAS
:eng101: Why do you need a print out, what are you using it for?
:) We want to compare the folders on both NAS's to make sure all the data moved over
:eng101: why not have a PC do it? You could run a comparison in a matter of minutes and be done with it
:) No we want to do it by hand, just print out the list.

Sent them their 700 page document, have fun I guess.

Wait, what? Why? How would they even do that? One person reads out from the printed page, another checks in Explorer or what?

MiniFoo
Dec 25, 2006

METHAMPHETAMINE

hazzlebarth posted:

Wait, what? Why? How would they even do that? One person reads out from the printed page, another checks in Explorer or what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TSwqnR327fk&t=61s

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Super Slash posted:

Every time. Someone here is doing some kind of marketing campaign which I provided a fresh (non-geo) telephone number for, however now they want to change it to something else that's a (freephone) number which we don't have any in stock. A day after its ordered there are cries of hurrying it up... uh no, you should've planned ahead we don't call the shots when it comes to buying stuff in.

I'm not in IT but I get this poo poo all the time. We have a ten day turnaround time for analytics requests. People think this is excessive, but we get at the very least once a week one piece of work that someone has promised to the managing director or global finance director in two days time, so THAT has to jump to the top of the queue and the ten day turnaround on everything else is the only thing that lets us deliver them on time.

We used to ask people submitting the requests when they needed it by but everyone just said they needed it ASAP so we forced the ten day thing.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
A ticket came in. About 700 of them.

Seems NetApp sent out a support bulletin to a distribution list that included quite a few automated ticketing systems, including ours, as well as a ton of users. So, there were a number of ticketing systems sending back automated replies, and, well, NetApp's distribution list allowed anyone and everyone to reply to it, and send email to everyone on the list.

So, naturally, there were just as many "remove me from this list" emails as there were automated ticket replies to those emails. In several different languages.

Ygmir
Jan 27, 2012

No tickets came in, but a good laugh was had about NetApp in Hipchat.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

I know a guy that works for NetApp, going to ask him about this...

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

I know a guy that works for NetApp, going to ask him about this...

Send him an email.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
It's always amusing in instances like this the number of people whose titles include "Senior Network Systems Administrator", "Head of IT Infrastructure" and "Director of Information Technology" who don't understand how email distribution lists work, and think replying to it saying "please remove me" or "STOP SPAM!!!!!!!!" is going to work.

EDIT:

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Those lists should be setup so that people can't reply all. It's not that hard.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

n0tqu1tesane posted:

"please remove me"

Me Too!

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

hazzlebarth posted:

Gotta have the interns do something to justify requesting them.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

A Pinball Wizard posted:

Just found out two other people got promoted to a different department over me because I've officially become "too important to lose" :toot:

Glad that it looks like you're already YOTJing out of that place, what a shitshow. I got dicked around similarly at a past contract IT support job, was supposed to be a 6 month contract-to-hire deal. Contract ended up being renewed at least 3 times and I was there for about 2 years, at the final contract extension they told me they "think we'll keep you on permanently after this renewal". I could practically see in their faces that it wasn't a sure thing and I was tired of busting my rear end and changing my schedule every couple months because other people would bitch about coming in earlier than 7 or 8 in the morning. At the time I was juggling help desk duty, dipping my toes in network/servers, and helping set up the company Sharepoint site while other people made excuses to dump work on me and skip out early (usually used their kids or some other bullshit), or would just randomly disappear without saying where or when they'd be back when we'd be super busy. The manager didn't do poo poo about it, seemed like an alright dude but was a massive pushover and a bitch when it came to holding anyone accountable or disciplinary action.

I already had 2 other job offers lined up so I just ended up not renewing my contract after the "we think we'll keep you" line and ignored any phone calls from them. Wasn't long after that, the company had a reorg, a bunch of people lost their jobs, and the place got bought by a larger competitor. Bullet status: dodged.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Jan 27, 2017

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

duz posted:

Gotta have the interns do something to justify requesting them.

Hopefully they just scan/OCR the pages and write a script to do it :v:

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Inspector_666 posted:

Hopefully they just scan/OCR the pages and write a script to do it :v:

:negative:

ugh this is so painful.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

This is the best addon to have fyi

It also changes "recession" to "the Time of Cold and Shadows" or something like that

Blue_monday
Jan 9, 2004

mind the teeth while you're going down

Fil5000 posted:

I'm not in IT but I get this poo poo all the time. We have a ten day turnaround time for analytics requests. People think this is excessive, but we get at the very least once a week one piece of work that someone has promised to the managing director or global finance director in two days time, so THAT has to jump to the top of the queue and the ten day turnaround on everything else is the only thing that lets us deliver them on time.

We used to ask people submitting the requests when they needed it by but everyone just said they needed it ASAP so we forced the ten day thing.

Yes! Or if you need to verify data integrity for any reason. I recently ran a very small report so I could keep track of an appointment type and I noticed a whole month of people were missing. The only reason I noticed was because there were very few of them that month.

What I thought was going to take me 5 minutes to start then took me an hour of loving around to make sure something was broken before I reported it as broken. Now I'm waiting on our useless software support to respond to my well written email explaining the issue. All the while I'm now doubting the integrity of another, bigger report because I took it on ill-placed faith that our software wasn't hot trash.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I'm going to bet option D: this is taking too long let's not do it and say we did.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
Yessssssssssssssss

pixaal posted:

Groups in ERP software not in AD unfortunately but thanks for the script AD groups actually make sense and are well named. Unlike ERP software which has groups with names such a common general allusers zall zallusers zzallusers zbob1 zbob2.
The internet has ruined me because I can't read ERP as standing for anything other than Erotic Roleplaying.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

BOOTY-ADE posted:

Glad that it looks like you're already YOTJing out of that place, what a shitshow. I got dicked around similarly at a past contract IT support job, was supposed to be a 6 month contract-to-hire deal. Contract ended up being renewed at least 3 times and I was there for about 2 years, at the final contract extension they told me they "think we'll keep you on permanently after this renewal". I could practically see in their faces that it wasn't a sure thing and I was tired of busting my rear end and changing my schedule every couple months because other people would bitch about coming in earlier than 7 or 8 in the morning. At the time I was juggling help desk duty, dipping my toes in network/servers, and helping set up the company Sharepoint site while other people made excuses to dump work on me and skip out early (usually used their kids or some other bullshit), or would just randomly disappear without saying where or when they'd be back when we'd be super busy. The manager didn't do poo poo about it, seemed like an alright dude but was a massive pushover and a bitch when it came to holding anyone accountable or disciplinary action.

I already had 2 other job offers lined up so I just ended up not renewing my contract after the "we think we'll keep you" line and ignored any phone calls from them. Wasn't long after that, the company had a reorg, a bunch of people lost their jobs, and the place got bought by a larger competitor. Bullet status: dodged.

So funny story: Today I decided to work from home and put myself on Do Not Disturb so I could get some freaking work done. I am totally allowed to do this, as my official job description does not involve any requirement to be available to anyone but my supervisor, who has told me repeatedly I can do this if I feel like I'm not getting enough work done. After work I got a text from one of my buddies - apparently the supervisors who are supposed to be monitoring helpdesk people and answering questions were appalled at how many questions they are suddenly being asked and sent out an e-mail to start pestering him instead.

Also, one of the senior techs flipped out and sent an e-mail that got him fired. It got recalled before I could read it, so I have to wait till Monday to find someone who has a copy and find out the juicy deets.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

A Pinball Wizard posted:

I have to wait till Monday to find someone who has a copy and find out the juicy deets.

:f5:

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

This is why, even though it's totally justifiable due to job duties and distance, I still maintain a presence at my office. All the fun poo poo happens in-house.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Someone I know very well who works in the fraud dept of their company told me about something that happened last week; (I just tried writing this out, but it got way too wordy, so the tl;dr is...)

This person's boss actually believes that, if you want to see if an image is photoshopped (like a fake ID, something that they deal with a lot), you should open up Word and import the image in question to a blank document. It is at that point where any and all forgeries are easily noticed, as you'll be able to see the info that was specifically doctored. "Doesn't always work..."

My dudes, I can personally vouch for the veracity of this person's total misunderstanding of basic digital media, as I saw the email where they explained this procedure myself. I was all :stare: and :munch: when my friend was telling me about the back-and-forth they were in the middle of, with their boss.

It's one thing to not know poo poo about anything regarding how digital images work.

It is, however, not at all acceptable to be tge boss, be this mistaken and be passing this procedure around as if you're teaching someone something. Something, I might add, which is absolutely crucial to loss prevention.

C'mon, dude... You're the boss... Be smarter than that.

A Pinball Wizard
Mar 23, 2005

I know every trick, no freak's gonna beat my hands

College Slice

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

Someone I know very well who works in the fraud dept of their company told me about something that happened last week; (I just tried writing this out, but it got way too wordy, so the tl;dr is...)

This person's boss actually believes that, if you want to see if an image is photoshopped (like a fake ID, something that they deal with a lot), you should open up Word and import the image in question to a blank document. It is at that point where any and all forgeries are easily noticed, as you'll be able to see the info that was specifically doctored. "Doesn't always work..."

My dudes, I can personally vouch for the veracity of this person's total misunderstanding of basic digital media, as I saw the email where they explained this procedure myself. I was all :stare: and :munch: when my friend was telling me about the back-and-forth they were in the middle of, with their boss.

It's one thing to not know poo poo about anything regarding how digital images work.

It is, however, not at all acceptable to be tge boss, be this mistaken and be passing this procedure around as if you're teaching someone something. Something, I might add, which is absolutely crucial to loss prevention.

C'mon, dude... You're the boss... Be smarter than that.

:psyduck: Just... What? Does he really think they look different in Word than anywhere else?

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
He can tell by the pixels and from having seen many a 'shop in his time.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Malachite_Dragon posted:

He can tell by the pixels and from having seen many a 'shop in his time.

See, joking aside, this is literally what makes my friend good at their job... They can just spot that stuff almost immediately.

Their boss? Not so much.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
I'm just giggling at the thought of traditional loss prevention strategies being applied to your industry. You know, like a guy at the door checking receipts to make sure there isn't an extra MILF video hiding at the bottom of the bag.

Also, I know of someone who lost his job on the first of this year who is nationally well known for his expertise in identifying forged documents who is looking for new employment. He has 24 years of management experience. He is facing some serious legal troubles, so I think he'd be interested in relocating to another country (You're in Canada, right?) If your company is willing to pay for relocation from Fountain Hills, AZ, I could pass his resume onto you guys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

Corsair Pool Boy
Dec 17, 2004
College Slice

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

I'm just giggling at the thought of traditional loss prevention strategies being applied to your industry. You know, like a guy at the door checking receipts to make sure there isn't an extra MILF video hiding at the bottom of the bag.

Also, I know of someone who lost his job on the first of this year who is nationally well known for his expertise in identifying forged documents who is looking for new employment. He has 24 years of management experience. He is facing some serious legal troubles, so I think he'd be interested in relocating to another country (You're in Canada, right?) If your company is willing to pay for relocation from Fountain Hills, AZ, I could pass his resume onto you guys.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joe_Arpaio

Hey, they gave us Ted Cruz, so fair's fair. They can have him.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Just going to clarify, I didn't say this happened at my company. :ssh:

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
I'm at a client site finishing up a SAN install and get users set up on the new system. All of a sudden the Wi-Fi goes down and then I noticed the entire network tanked.

I track down the IT team and find out that they're getting broadcast stormed. Someone somewhere created a loop and nuked everything. They're running around frantically trying to figure out what is causing it. I decided to keep my question about lack of loop prevention to myself and went to go get lunch.

It doesn't seem to affect the SAN but it sure does affect all the network users I had set up!

DigitalMocking
Jun 8, 2010

Wine is constant proof that God loves us and loves to see us happy.
Benjamin Franklin

pr0digal posted:

I'm at a client site finishing up a SAN install and get users set up on the new system. All of a sudden the Wi-Fi goes down and then I noticed the entire network tanked.

I track down the IT team and find out that they're getting broadcast stormed. Someone somewhere created a loop and nuked everything. They're running around frantically trying to figure out what is causing it. I decided to keep my question about lack of loop prevention to myself and went to go get lunch.

It doesn't seem to affect the SAN but it sure does affect all the network users I had set up!

How the hell do you not at LEAST have spanning tree turning on in TYOOL 2017?

A Frosty Witch
Apr 21, 2005

I was just looking at it and I suddenly got this urge to get inside. No, not just an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box.
gently caress Printers™

Having a new copier installed to replace one that's been workhorsing for 6+ years. I asked when we scheduled the project if they needed any preliminary information or if we needed to make any preparations, but no, everything should just be a quick swap out. 20 minutes, tops, to get everything up and running.

They get in and don't have a dolly to get the new one upstairs or the old one downstairs so they have to use the handicap lift, which the things barely fit on.

Then the new printer uses a different plug which requires a different outlet. I call in a favor with the physical plant to come change the outlet asap. They swap it out. The outlet is 120v and needs to be 206. Call physical plant back to come rewire the poo poo. They're working on it now.

I guess not so much gently caress Printers™ but gently caress vendors a lot.

Oh also, they can't export our address book or print codes so those have to be put in by hand.

Happy fuckin Monday, y'all.

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive

DigitalMocking posted:

How the hell do you not at LEAST have spanning tree turning on in TYOOL 2017?

I don't know :allears:

It's not my network so I don't really care. Last I heard it was the Aerohives that were causing problems

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

larchesdanrew posted:

gently caress Printers™
I fully admit I have no experience in electrical stuff but, a 206v line? What the hell is that? Is that a standard? I mean, I guess it must be if they built a copier to use it, but who came up with that voltage?

• Locked thread