Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

if anet was smart they would probably put out some vague announcement stuff for the next expansion right around now, but, that requires them to be smart about something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.

Johnny Joestar posted:

if anet was smart they would probably put out some vague announcement stuff for the next expansion right around now, but, that requires them to be smart about something

Isn't that what the end of season 3 is for?

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Johnny Joestar posted:

Yeah it is about time we get some information of an expansion and/or future content.

I haven't played the game in a while and am rapidly forgetting about it with this total lack of anything happening to it.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

"Kill white people and get paid for it? What's not to like?"
Don't know if this has been posted yet, but,

Roc
Nov 8, 2010

quote:

Hi all,
We’re wrapping up work on Episode 4 of Living World Season 3 and expect to launch it in February, hitting our normal cadence of a new episode every 2~3 months. I want to give a quick heads-up here on a few topics that I know the community is anticipating, things that will and won’t be bundled with this episode.

This release will include the promised fix to AB multi-looting. The fix is simple: you can loot each of the great and grand chests once each time you complete the meta, once per map cycle.

This release will also include a new, challenging group-farming spot for leather.

This release won’t include legendary armor. We’re getting close to completion, though, and may be able to ship legendary armor with the Ep5 release.

This release won’t include a skill balance update. As we did last time, we’ll ship the next skill balance update off-cycle from Living World releases.
Mo

https://forum-en.guildwars2.com/forum/game/gw2/Quick-note-on-Ep4-bundled-updates

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

sigh, release the xpack details Anet

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

knowonecanknow posted:

Isn't that what the end of season 3 is for?

maybe? but there's nothing that says they can't give literally any sort of vague idea that it's actually being worked on. players actually knowing there's going to be something works wonders for getting them more interested again in the time being.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Roc posted:

This release will also include a new, challenging group-farming spot for leather.

I hope I have not fallen behind on the required legendary insights to get in on this.

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children
I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Because it wouldn't have been easier to just loving lower the amount of leather required for crafting.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Johnny Joestar posted:

maybe? but there's nothing that says they can't give literally any sort of vague idea that it's actually being worked on. players actually knowing there's going to be something works wonders for getting them more interested again in the time being.

In fairness Anet has failed to comprehend this simple fact for a very very very very very long time

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i've barely even played for the longest time even though i genuinely enjoy the game, partially because it feels like the updates are just stagnant. knowing that they're planning on a second expansion would at least make me think 'okay, cool, i can maybe prepare ahead of time for that?'

Reclines Obesily
Jul 24, 2000

Hey Moona!
Slippery Tilde
Theyre planning on a second expansion.

Magres
Jul 14, 2011

DonVincenzo posted:

I'm still trying to wrap my head around this. Because it wouldn't have been easier to just loving lower the amount of leather required for crafting.

At one point they talked about this, the general idea was that giving players the ability to do things themselves is a more robust solution than arbitrarily changing recipes and hoping for the best.

Basically if farming leather is better money for less effort than other farms, it'll drive leather prices down until the effort:money ratio is on par with other stuff. In theory, at least.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

Visidan posted:

Theyre planning on a second expansion.

Crystal Desert and axe guardian, right?!

Dartonus
Apr 1, 2011

It only gets worse from here on in...

CLAM DOWN posted:

Crystal Desert and axe guardian, right?!

It's actually the still-sunken Battle Isles and Speargun Guardian, sorry.

nickhimself
Jul 16, 2007

I GIVE YOU MY INFO YOU LOG IN AND PUT IN BUILD I PAY YOU 3 BLESSINGS
Group-farming for leather makes it seem like the enemies most likely to drop leather will be champion level. Requiring a group of people to get a resource seems like the wrong way to go about introducing a new farming option.

This is an interesting decision considering anet employs an economist. It's revealing of how he must think about in-game economies when the decision to help the crafting sector is to nerf a good farming spot for ascended crafting resources and ecto, and introduce a non-solo (as the announcement seems to suggest) method for farming a different, but equally important material.

Lol at the price of ecto already. Went from 28s to 36s instantly with this announcement.

If any of you at all care about ecto or saving yourself some time/money in the future: farm the loving hell out of ab before it's nerfed.

edit: Crystalling Dust hasn't yet spiked in price like Ecto has. If my PC were on I'd remotely connect and head to the TP and buy a poo poo load of it.

nickhimself fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 27, 2017

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

Roc posted:

We're getting our very own Secret Cow Level, gang!

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

nickhimself posted:

This is an interesting decision considering anet employs an economist.

Most economists don't know poo poo, they're just practiced at sounding like they do.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

Barring that ANet hasn't said anything, is there any stipulation or guesses as to what the expansion is going to entail or include? ... I really didn't even know they were planning another one at this point tbh.

Roc
Nov 8, 2010

McSlaughter posted:

Barring that ANet hasn't said anything, is there any stipulation or guesses as to what the expansion is going to entail or include? ... I really didn't even know they were planning another one at this point tbh.

Here are some old leaks if that is any indication

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/53d21c/what_might_come_in_expansion_2/

https://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/The_Amnoon_Oasis Crystal Desert here we come

edit: Looking back some of the stuff came true

Roc fucked around with this message at 02:23 on Jan 28, 2017

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

gently caress yeah

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

McSlaughter posted:

gently caress yeah

knowonecanknow
Apr 19, 2009

Ambition must be made to counteract ambition.
Recycled GW1 is boring, it better be new places if they're charging money for it.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

knowonecanknow posted:

Recycled GW1 is boring, it better be new places if they're charging money for it.

Well consider that the planet Tyria (not the Tyrian continent) also includes Cantha and Elona, as well as several continents unnamed but that still appear on maps and in the mythos of the Guild Wars universe, it's a sort of double-headed snake... They could introduce brand new realms but at the same time there is so little of the preexisting world that we haven't seen in like, 257 game years?

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

as everyone knows the lore introduced in guild wars 2 is very interesting anpffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffhahahahahahaha

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

After not playing for about two years I decided to redownload guild wars 2 and take a very brief look at what's changed and what's stayed the same, because I make poor life choices. [GOON] seems to be completely and utterly dead, is everyone in SFD and if so can someone invite CuddlyZombie.6924, pretty please?

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

After not playing for about two years I decided to redownload guild wars 2 and take a very brief look at what's changed and what's stayed the same, because I make poor life choices. [GOON] seems to be completely and utterly dead, is everyone in SFD and if so can someone invite CuddlyZombie.6924, pretty please?

Check the OP for info and hop over to our forums please! We have invite instructions there!

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

CLAM DOWN posted:

Check the OP for info and hop over to our forums please! We have invite instructions there!

Oh sorry, for some reason I thought it was out of date when it clearly is not. :downs: Will do.

CLAM DOWN
Feb 13, 2007

CuddlyZombie posted:

Oh sorry, for some reason I thought it was out of date when it clearly is not. :downs: Will do.

If there's one thing I'm good at, it's posting.

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

CLAM DOWN posted:

If there's one thing I'm good at, it's posting.

Thanks. I made a post.

Looks like I have about 3 unclaimed birthday gifts each over 5 characters or so, guess it was a little longer than one year :v:

CuddlyZombie fucked around with this message at 09:05 on Jan 28, 2017

DonVincenzo
Nov 12, 2010

Super Monster
The Absolute Guardian of the Universe
Friend of All Children

CuddlyZombie posted:

It is a running joke of this thread to say the OP is old and never updated but Arus actually carefully grooms and maintains it to close to perfection. At this point, besides eating, taking care of the OP is all he does in his free time.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

DonVincenzo posted:

Arus actually carefully grooms and maintains it to close to perfection

manscaping

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

:( [GOON]'s not dead, we just don't ever use the off-site forums for anything but auth requests.

But yeah, actual in-game populations in both guilds are way down vs a couple years ago. I blame HoT.

Boar It
Jul 29, 2011

Mesmerizing eyebrows is my specialty
Haven't played the game in ages, figured I could give it another go. I don't have the expansion and I don't really feel like buying it. Giving away the base game for free to new users who buy the expansion but people who had the base game have to fork over another $50 is dumb. (At least make the expansion a little cheaper or something for existing users) I assume they will do it again with the second expansion so why buy heart of thorns now when everyone gets it for free later most likely?

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I'm mostly in the phase where I log in to collect a daily reward if I remember to do so. The ongoing storyline is all kinds of meh, so at this point I'm just waiting for a new expansion.

When they have added new zones, nothing about them entices you to stay longer than to finish the meta, if even that. They feel so theme-park'ish compared to core zones, which formed a believable world together. Who cares if they don't all have a zone-wide meta event or CONSTANT ACTION! Give me Timberline falls anyday compared to these new maps.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

TeaJay posted:

I'm mostly in the phase where I log in to collect a daily reward if I remember to do so. The ongoing storyline is all kinds of meh, so at this point I'm just waiting for a new expansion.

When they have added new zones, nothing about them entices you to stay longer than to finish the meta, if even that. They feel so theme-park'ish compared to core zones, which formed a believable world together. Who cares if they don't all have a zone-wide meta event or CONSTANT ACTION! Give me Timberline falls anyday compared to these new maps.

Thing that really turned me off to the game was the shift away in focus from stuff you could do by yourself or could be done as a group in short amounts of time (non-Orr Dungeons, Marionette, Grand Pavilion) for stuff like the zone-wide metas and raids.

Redmanred
Aug 29, 2005

My hometown japan
:japan:

Erdricks posted:

Thing that really turned me off to the game was the shift away in focus from stuff you could do by yourself or could be done as a group in short amounts of time (non-Orr Dungeons, Marionette, Grand Pavilion) for stuff like the zone-wide metas and raids.

The raids are pretty drat good and I'm looking forward to newer stuff, but that's just my taste for GW2. As for the zone-wide metas I've grown sour to a lot of them. I think after crafting HOPE broke me of ever wanting to step into that Mordy Zone ever again.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

one can hope that they've maybe learned a fair bit from HoT and the subsequent living story stuff as to how to handle things. i'm sure a theoretical next expansion will still have some big map-wide event for defeating a giant boss involved at some point, but maybe they'll finetune other maps to not be so swingy in regards to being able to complete them.

McSlaughter
Sep 12, 2013

Johnny Joestar posted:

as everyone knows the lore introduced in guild wars 2 is very interesting anpffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffhahahahahahaha

lmfao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Johnny Joestar posted:

one can hope that they've maybe learned a fair bit from HoT and the subsequent living story stuff as to how to handle things. i'm sure a theoretical next expansion will still have some big map-wide event for defeating a giant boss involved at some point, but maybe they'll finetune other maps to not be so swingy in regards to being able to complete them.

And maybe not make the mobs so obnoxious that people just straight up don't deal with them unless needed.

And maybe make a training wheels raid mode with the same rewards as the normal one and triple the rewards for the normal one so the fuckboys don't bitch about plebs doing THEIR content.

• Locked thread