Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Splicer posted:

Keep in mind that missing a hand is annoying for sword and board or a spellcaster but a one handed dual weilder is basically "kill and reroll".

Amputation shouldn't get you down. That dual wielder can just shove a shiv onto the stump and get right back to it. And technically speaking, a buckler straps to your arm; you don't need to hold it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Splicer posted:

Keep in mind that missing a hand is annoying for sword and board or a spellcaster but a one handed dual weilder is basically "kill and reroll".

Just get a magical prosthesis. Preferrably one that can shoot fire.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Congratulations on Graduation Shnookums.
Love, Mom & Dad
Hey it's just my thoughts, I figure I'll have a more concrete idea as to what happens to who when it actually goes down so to speak. I was also looking at serious wound infection, that was in the serious injuries table in the dmg.

FRINGE
May 23, 2003
title stolen for lf posting

SettingSun posted:

And technically speaking, a buckler straps to your arm; you don't need to hold it.
Bucklers are used in the hand, they dont actually work otherwise (you need to control the angle in all directions to make them do their thing).

This does not need to bear any effect on DnD at all, but theres your weapon nerd moment for the day.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

SettingSun posted:

Amputation shouldn't get you down. That dual wielder can just shove a shiv onto the stump and get right back to it. And technically speaking, a buckler straps to your arm; you don't need to hold it.
That's why I only classed S&B under "annoying".

Doresh posted:

Just get a magical prosthesis. Preferrably one that can shoot fire.
If you're picking up a replacement hand within a session or two sure! Your average 5E level 2 dude who just got one-rounded by a pile of kobolds may find that slightly out of their price range though.

My point wasn't "this is a bad idea" it was "don't half-rear end it, think it through and account for the outliers". Give the wizard the bum leg. Give the dual wielder the cool eyepatch. Tie a shield to the sword and boarder's empty gauntlet. Don't blind the archer, mute the bard, or narcolepsy the scout unless there's a magic body part replacer less than 30 minutes playtime away.

Blindsight teacher, mime school, or underground amphetamine mushrooms also acceptable.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Jan 27, 2017

Zarick
Dec 28, 2004

I really like DCC and a lot of its variable systems, but I wish it didn't do the standard "we're going to intentionally leave out any info about balancing your game" that a lot of retro games do.

I want some middle ground between the simplicity of games like DCC and 5e and the depth and balance of systems like 4e and Strike. Probably not going to find it though.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Splicer posted:

That's why I only classed S&B under "annoying".
If you're picking up a replacement hand within a session or two sure! Your average 5E level 2 dude who just got one-rounded by a pile of kobolds may find that slightly out of their price range though.

I hope he can be a pirate until then.

Zarick posted:

I really like DCC and a lot of its variable systems, but I wish it didn't do the standard "we're going to intentionally leave out any info about balancing your game" that a lot of retro games do.

I want some middle ground between the simplicity of games like DCC and 5e and the depth and balance of systems like 4e and Strike. Probably not going to find it though.

Godbound spend more paragraphs on this than your typical retroclone, though the you still need eyeballing thanks to the different power combinations PCs and NPCs can have.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

The DM and I (and the rest of the group) have been chatting it out and we think we're happy with some middling ground solution where acceptance of permanent (until healed) injury can off-set his aversion to permanent death. For instance in the event you go from some positive number of HP to -max HP instead of dying instantly you can lose a limb or something, just to combat the unfun RNG fuckery. Actual resurrection is easier to obtain, instead of revivify and raise dead being removed from the game their allowable but imperfect, you might come back with some other issue that will haunt you and remind you of your temporary death until you can rid yourself of it or it runs it's course or w/e else.

I'm happy because I get to keep playing with my favorite toys, he's happy because he gets to enjoy lasting impactful storylines when things go wrong. Win-win.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin
I've seen references to scouting a few times lately and it made me curious: how do you scout , especially overland (rather than dungeon). How far ahead is the scout? Is he sneaking? on horse? etc

nelson
Apr 12, 2009
College Slice

mastershakeman posted:

I've seen references to scouting a few times lately and it made me curious: how do you scout , especially overland (rather than dungeon). How far ahead is the scout? Is he sneaking? on horse? etc

Depends on the circumstances. Just watch some old westerns and do that.

Dr. Doji Suave
Dec 31, 2004

mastershakeman posted:

In my games I handle it by letting them know they can have a few essentially 'ride ahead' of the group, which pre-loads Encounter Rolls. I give them a behind the scenes bonus to encountering anything that might be hostile on a one sided basis so they can fall back to the rest of the group (riding along a well known trail and getting to a point where they see a few individuals setting up in nearby trees, a good sign of a possible ambush up ahead). There is still the risk of riding along and "Surprise" but it's very slim and it lets them decide if it's worth the risk or to find an alternative route (then we actually get to use wilderness/survival stuff) or just camp for the night and wait it out til morning.

EDIT: It should also be noted that I pair this up with a home brew "threat/teasing the hands of fate" system that works as both escalation and for tracking time outside of combat somewhat.

Dr. Doji Suave fucked around with this message at 00:45 on Jan 28, 2017

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013
How exactly would you roleplay a character with extremely high wisdom and extremely low intelligence? I think the spread is something like 18wis - 7int.

I'm just not entirely sure how that character would act....

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Wise but not book smart is pretty easy to do to be honest.

Although really, the separation between Intelligence and wisdom mostly just exists so you know if you're a wizard or priest anyways so it doesn't actually matter a whole lot. At one point, having to put points there was probably even something of a balance mechanic, as, for a long time, both stats did literally nothing outside of let you spellcast.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Thumbtacks posted:

How exactly would you roleplay a character with extremely high wisdom and extremely low intelligence? I think the spread is something like 18wis - 7int.

Consider a character like Tarzan or Mowgli. They're not intelligent, in the sense that they lack education and the mental problems which challenge them are mostly on the animal level. That doesn't mean there's anything wrong with their brains, they just never had to use them to crunch lots of raw data or remember obscure trivia. They've never been exposed to brain-teaser puzzles, general knowledge, or even literacy.

But wisdom? Oh yeah, no problem, if you buy into that whole "noble savage" idea.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

Thumbtacks posted:

Great Teacher Onizuka. He's a goofball and moron, but makes the right decisions and is full of life lessons to teach others.

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Love, Mom & Dad

Sage Genesis posted:

But wisdom? Oh yeah, no problem, if you buy into that whole "noble savage" idea.

You fantasy colonial racist!

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Thumbtacks posted:

Your standard Wise Old Lady who might not have a lot o' book-learnin' but knows what's important.

Sage Genesis
Aug 14, 2014
OG Murderhobo

Big Black Brony posted:

You fantasy colonial racist!

Look, I have nothing against orcs, ok? I just think that humans should stick to their farms and orcs should stick to their shadowy wastelands. That way they won't need to interact, it's good for the orcs as well. I mean, do we really need half-orcs in the PHB? I'm just concerned it might take away page count from things which are more important.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
And why just Half-Orcs and Half-Elves? Where are the Half-Gnomes? Half-Dwarves? Half-Halflings?!

Selachian posted:

Your standard Wise Old Lady who might not have a lot o' book-learnin' but knows what's important.

Or the hispanic maid who knows an awful lot about evil spirits.

MadMadi
Mar 16, 2012

Doresh posted:

And why just Half-Orcs and Half-Elves? Where are the Half-Gnomes? Half-Dwarves? Half-Halflings?!

Didn't the thread go down this rabbit hole a couple weeks back? Things got real weird.

Dick Burglar
Mar 6, 2006
And in this case, "going down the rabbit hole" can double as a vulgar euphemism!

But seriously, let's not.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

wisdomHNOX posted:

Didn't the thread go down this rabbit hole a couple weeks back? Things got real weird.

Never forget.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

wisdomHNOX posted:

yeah apparently pixies and minotaurs can cross breed but dwelves are forever doomed to not exist

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

mastershakeman posted:

yeah apparently pixies and minotaurs can cross breed but dwelves are forever doomed to not exist

I prefer Dorcs anyways.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Dworcs are actually a thing. By that name.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015

MonsterEnvy posted:

Dworcs are actually a thing. By that name.

Right, I forgot the other races that start with a D, so the "w" is important, even if I could do without.

Doresh fucked around with this message at 00:15 on Jan 29, 2017

Big Black Brony
Jul 11, 2008

Love, Mom & Dad

Doresh posted:

Right, I forgot the other races that start with a D, so the "w" is important, even if I could do without.

Race shaming now too... Jeez this thread.

On a serious note, I ran my group through a bait and switch where they were told a swamp village had a were wolf problem but it was actually gnolls, they are just not smart swamp folk and didn't know any better. They also never saw the creature just heard it and a boy went missing. The gnolls stole the boy from a weird spot the town was leaving young children to be changed by bog creatures but the village elder leaves that out. They get to the hermits house who was the village target, and after finding the abducted boy and killing good gnolls kept going.... Who's the werewolf though?

After bringing the boy back to town having a violent confrontation, they murder all the able bodied men, kill the boys mother and razed the place to the ground. They are now trying to train this boy as some sort of murder hobo squire.:psyduck:

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

Big Black Brony posted:

On a serious note, I ran my group through a bait and switch where they were told a swamp village had a were wolf problem but it was actually gnolls, they are just not smart swamp folk and didn't know any better. They also never saw the creature just heard it and a boy went missing. The gnolls stole the boy from a weird spot the town was leaving young children to be changed by bog creatures but the village elder leaves that out. They get to the hermits house who was the village target, and after finding the abducted boy and killing good gnolls kept going.... Who's the werewolf though?

After bringing the boy back to town having a violent confrontation, they murder all the able bodied men, kill the boys mother and razed the place to the ground. They are now trying to train this boy as some sort of murder hobo squire.:psyduck:

Clearly the only solution is to retcon that the world is a prequel to Drakengard, and change things so all future adventures will be resolved with murder.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

golden bubble posted:

Clearly the only solution is to retcon that the world is a prequel to Drakengard, and change things so all future adventures will be resolved with murder.
so normal then?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

wisdomHNOX posted:

Gnolls are the offspring of a Gnome and a Troll.

Doresh
Jan 7, 2015
That's my favorite bit of Gnoll Lore by far.

Big Black Brony posted:

It was totally fine calling them Dorcs when I was young.

Paramemetic
Sep 29, 2003

Area 51. You heard of it, right?

Fallen Rib
I also had a boy as a plot hook and my party is also trying to turn him into a murder hobo so I guess that's just the done thing.

Kraven Moorhed
Jan 5, 2006

So wrong, yet so right.

Soiled Meat
Are there any good and basic programs for representing hex-grid combat, ie letting me move character markers around on a grid? I'm DMing for the first time in two hours and haven't been able to grab any hex paper, and my printer's out of commission. It's either toss it up on the big screen using my laptop or Sharpie on wax paper. :v:

That said, I'm really excited for my first session, and this is luckily the only way in which I'm underprepared -- reading up on goon advice has helped me so much to draft up an adventure that I think is gonna surprise the hell out of my players (in a good way).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Kraven Moorhed posted:

Are there any good and basic programs for representing hex-grid combat, ie letting me move character markers around on a grid? I'm DMing for the first time in two hours and haven't been able to grab any hex paper, and my printer's out of commission. It's either toss it up on the big screen using my laptop or Sharpie on wax paper. :v:

That said, I'm really excited for my first session, and this is luckily the only way in which I'm underprepared -- reading up on goon advice has helped me so much to draft up an adventure that I think is gonna surprise the hell out of my players (in a good way).

Roll20.net supports hex grids, although I've not used them for combat rounds. Not sure why you're using hexes not squares for combat anyway.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Arivia posted:

Roll20.net supports hex grids, although I've not used them for combat rounds. Not sure why you're using hexes not squares for combat anyway.

Aren't hexes better for consistency of movement in non-cardinal directions?

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:
I'd suggest not using hexes if you're playing 5e. I used hexes for an overland map once as they made travel distances easy to calculate, but combat rules don't require the additional complexity.

Soylent Pudding
Jun 22, 2007

We've got people!

How are hexes more complex than squares? I've switched to hexes for 5e and it's made life much simpler.

Masiakasaurus
Oct 11, 2012

Subjunctive posted:

Aren't hexes better for consistency of movement in non-cardinal directions?

Yes, at the cost of having to zigzag in two of the four cardinal directions.

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Soylent Pudding posted:

How are hexes more complex than squares? I've switched to hexes for 5e and it's made life much simpler.

I was thinking more from the new DM perspective where all the combat rules in the PHB are written assuming theater of the mind or square grids. Hexes offer more degrees of freedom movement-wise but having to convert the rules on the fly seems like adding another layer to a task that is already cognatively complex.

Unless you are playing with optional facing or flanking rules, the gains from switching to hexes don't seem worth it. We mainly use grids for fights with lots of enemies or weird terrain features to tell who is in melee range of what. If you've got time, I'd like to hear what other benefits hexes afford over squares.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS
Lol if you use a square grid and don't explain it within the metaphysics of your world. In a square room? Your character sees a circle, deal with it.