Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mod saas
May 4, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Iridium posted:

PM- "Ok so next issue. This test user decided to attempt to inject SQL, it let him, and it returned an error. Do we need to lock this down?"
Tech- "Uh, no. It DIDNT let him, and gave an error saying don't do that. That's what that message is."
PM- "Ok can we make this friendlier? A lot of users won't understand this error."
Tech- "If we have that many users trying to inject SQL we have bigger problems."

triggered again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
lol an error on attempted sql injection

instead of just escaping it

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Cocoa Crispies posted:

lol an error on attempted sql injection

instead of just escaping it

lol yeah that occurred to me.

not my problem tho.

edit- oh and fwiw this is an employee only application, not visible outside our controlled population. so that friendliness comment came in the form of worrying about the old lady administrative assistants.

Iridium fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Jan 27, 2017

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

Iridium posted:

PM- "Ok so next issue. This test user decided to attempt to inject SQL, it let him, and it returned an error. Do we need to lock this down?"
Tech- "Uh, no. It DIDNT let him, and gave an error saying don't do that. That's what that message is."
PM- "Ok can we make this friendlier? A lot of users won't understand this error."
Tech- "If we have that many users trying to inject SQL we have bigger problems."

lot goin on here tbh

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

PM stands for 'Partially Managing'

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"

Iridium posted:

too real

Miss-Bomarc
Aug 1, 2009

Iridium posted:

PM- "but the workflow we've established requires an SQL injection."
Tech- "who told you that?"
PM- "uh, Joe?"
Tech- "Joe who got walked out by security last week and doesn't work here anymore?"

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

i kept a stock portfolio analysis platform alive on a bad release version of the code for a few weeks by coming in every morning before the markets opened and clicking on a bookmark i had created which injected a piece of code which unfucked some of the data it relied on

good times

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

i kept a stock portfolio analysis platform alive on a bad release version of the code for a few weeks by coming in every morning before the markets opened and clicking on a bookmark i had created which injected a piece of code which unfucked some of the data it relied on

good times

fuckin A, nice.

when i first started at this company they had me maintaining a big web app that was really temperamental about network connections. even a momentary blip that prevented it from accessing its database would shut it all down, result in people calling me in the middle of the night. and of course, those blips were weekly at least. the fix was just to restart the web services.

so i wrote up a VBscript (at the time it was all i felt like loving with) that could check the site for the specific error that meant it had happened, and restart it. worked great, i tested it by running it when they'd call, it'd handle everything for me, and i'd take the credit for being so efficient about it.

went to my manager and explained what i'd built, asked if we could set it up in our task scheduling system to just monitor constantly and cut down on that bullshit. they said no because it was too hacked together and simplistic. i asked if we could go fix the problem in the webapp to prevent it. they said no its too complex.

this was the same group that didn't want me to run a wiki because it was too difficult to update it.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost
I love it when all the managers here log into the same webex through their blackberries on speaker. When they start talking you can hear the latency through all the other phones in the room.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

interviewing potential CIOs & IT department managers via skype. this will be fun!!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

none of them will have done the most basic testing of their audio / webcam setup before getting on the call

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

interviewing potential CIOs & IT department managers via skype. this will be fun!!

Virtual interviews are poo poo

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
we have a really nice telepresence room w/ one of these

love it when i can get this thing for meetings

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!
we outsourced our IT to a contractor this last year.

it's been bad.

one of our PMs was talking to the network admin of one of our local clients and his response was

"oh CJ Associates? yeah... they're one of the two worst in town"

when my coworker told one of our old IT guys, he just laughed.

so, this may explain why i'm never told there is a new VPN method (even though it's essential to what I do when I'm on the road), and why the new VPN download they provide is a broken link, and why when it doesn't work, and the guy is remoting into the computer, where the directions are open on the desktop, with the server info displayed, he is somehow typing the wrong info into the boxes and we're having to go "hey dude you forgot the i on the domain."

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

is there a function that is possible to outsource where the aims of the company and the contractor are more opposed to each other than what you end up with when you outsource IT to an msp?

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

Thanks Ants posted:

none of them will have done the most basic testing of their audio / webcam setup before getting on the call

candidate 1 called us from bed.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

he did not pass the interview

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

why

kitten emergency
Jan 13, 2008

get meow this wack-ass crystal prison

Thanks Ants posted:

is there a function that is possible to outsource where the aims of the company and the contractor are more opposed to each other than what you end up with when you outsource IT to an msp?

privatized prisons

IT is a close second though

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

health care

AAB
Nov 5, 2010

I love doing skype interviews. checklist is
  • decent hair
  • decent shirt

gently caress you, pants.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

checking what's on the bookshelf behind you

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

ChickenOfTomorrow posted:

candidate 1 called us from bed.

How much are you paying the Communist CIO (also mods pls)?

gonadic io
Feb 16, 2011

>>=

maniacdevnull posted:

How much are you paying the Communist CIO (also mods pls)?

i've done standups from bed before, with camera off ofc

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
lol if you haven't done conference calls while taking a dump

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.
once had an Iraq customer call me in the middle of my morning dump, happy to report I fixed his issue and got him to sign more business with us

it was a hard push but we got a very firm commitment, made quite a splash

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

FrozenVent posted:

once had an Iraq customer call me in the middle of my morning dump, happy to report I fixed his issue and got him to sign more business with us

it was a hard push but we got a very firm commitment, made quite a splash

now try it with an Iranian

maniacdevnull
Apr 18, 2007

FOUR CUBIC FRAMES
DISPROVES SOFT G GOD
YOU ARE EDUCATED STUPID

FrozenVent posted:

Iraq customer

Why are you enabling terrorism, citizen?

Mahatma Goonsay
Jun 6, 2007
Yum
we are going from webex to Zoom. it can't be worse right?

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

all software is terrible, so it'll just be worse in different ways

big shtick energy
May 27, 2004

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

we outsourced our IT to a contractor this last year.

it's been bad.

one of our PMs was talking to the network admin of one of our local clients and his response was

"oh CJ Associates? yeah... they're one of the two worst in town"

when my coworker told one of our old IT guys, he just laughed.

so, this may explain why i'm never told there is a new VPN method (even though it's essential to what I do when I'm on the road), and why the new VPN download they provide is a broken link, and why when it doesn't work, and the guy is remoting into the computer, where the directions are open on the desktop, with the server info displayed, he is somehow typing the wrong info into the boxes and we're having to go "hey dude you forgot the i on the domain."

yeah but at least you got that sweet on-call pay

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

Mahatma Goonsay posted:

we are going from webex to Zoom. it can't be worse right?

zoom is worse than webex. GoToMeeting is the only one that works reliably.

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

gotomeeting is good

Elysiume
Aug 13, 2009

Alone, she fights.

gonadic io posted:

i've done standups from bed before, with camera off ofc
I had an early morning international concall where I got out of bed, dialed into the call, and then spent most of the time lying on the floor

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

dba : yes today we have a meeting with...
pm : can you stay close to your mic? you keep fading out
dba : sorry can you hear me now?
pm : yes
dba : ok today we're scheduling a meeting with
pm : lisa! LISA!! stay closer to the mic
dba : what?
pm : stay closer to your mic you keep fading out
dba : ok sorry. so anyways we met with the alpha team

Iridium
Apr 4, 2002

Wretched Harp
today and tomorrow i'm helping host our employee hackathon. been telling people this for weeks, setting expectations, making sure all the people i work with know i'm not gonna be available. automatic replies are set up, meeting invites all declined, phone unanswered.

two of them come seek me out hidden away in our company conference center to chat. one of those spent upwards of an hour not only pestering me for help, but going and dragging a couple of our devs out of their team breakout rooms to get info from them, too.

and then in the post-lunch lull just now, around 1:30, i answer one email from an internal customer and copy the PM who should have answered it. And without me to handhold today, PM decides that means i'm available. 20 minutes later....

Bloody
Mar 3, 2013

quit your job

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Big feature met its deadline after a hard weekend and we had a 6 person video conference about it today where only 1 dev had lovely internet and that was only for a moment.

I felt bad when, in an effort to get a better signal as I asked him to do, he went into his living room - webcam running blair witch style - and told his kids to get out of the living room cuz he needs it.

felt like a big yelly man inside of the screen

lol :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Even more so, last week he was setup in his living room since we are all wfh since our office on the 4th floor got flooded, and im pretty sure that means he's putting my video stream on the bigscreen

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axSnW-ygU5g

• Locked thread