Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Dongattack posted:

How does ranking up with the Federation (and other factions i assume) actually work?
I have had this game since the vanilla release, only really playing it seriously lately. But i think i have been maxed out at "Recruit" for literal years now and i just read on the wiki that i'm supposed to get a "promotion mission" to advance me to the next rank. Am i bugged or is it dependent on other criteria too? Like my relation with the Federation? I think it's at "Cordial" or something, i'd check, but the game won't loving stop launching in VR mode and my headset is :effort: far away.

edit: Looking at my posting history ITT i see that almost exactly 1 year ago i had "career opportunities" popping up everywhere in stations and i came in here asking what they were. Got told they were the "promotion missions", but stopped playing and never did them. I think i may have hosed myself :tinfoil:

I just recently started messing around with this myself.

So if your Federation rank is maxed out at 100%, then whenever you go to stations that are controlled by a power that's allied with the Federation, you should occasionally (kind of rarely in my experience) see missions popping up that are 'Federation Navy needs whatever' missions. These can range from blowing up supplies to killing dudes. Take it, do it, and you go up a rank.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
How can you tell if the station faction is allied with the Feds?

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Dongattack posted:

How can you tell if the station faction is allied with the Feds?

They'll have a super power affiliation.

If there's nothing there then they're independant.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Okay, thanks to both of you. That's a adventure for tomorrow then!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
I also meant to say 'delivering supplies', not 'blowing up supplies'. Guess I was kind of focused on the killin' of dudes.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

Vecna posted:

Fun fact: This bozo posting on the brown sea also claimed that in space an object would accelerate to infinite speeds once a force was applied to it. The post was so bad the developers stopped what they were doing to ridicule him.

https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/158051-Moar-Guns-Needed/page2

Oh, I remember this! Man, I wish we could live in this weird fake universe he made up, can you imagine how low our energy costs were if we could just generate infinite energy by swinging objects around?

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
A relatively small amount of wake analysis grinding and my aspx now jumps 42 ly, and thats with a fully armed ship carrying a 40 ton passenger module. The trip between farseers' base and my home base at lembava takes 6 jumps instead of 16. I have a funny feeling that my steam sale backlog is going to gather dust for a while longer.

What's a good exploration destination of interest that takes only a couple hours from the bubble? Ive been to the coalsack and back, but now want to cut my teeth on a father destination.

K8.0
Feb 26, 2004

Her Majesty's 56th Regiment of Foot
There's no need to care about rank up missions until you're actually trying to get something. Your Fed/Empire rank progress will continue to rise even if you are at 100% to a particular rank and don't do the promotion. You'll just wind up in a situation where you have to do multiple promo missions to hit your proper rank.

Getting them is really loving random, some stations/systems will almost always give you one, so if you really want to rank up just try random stations in appropriate systems.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

Don't the home systems give them out pretty regularly?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

K8.0 posted:

There's no need to care about rank up missions until you're actually trying to get something. Your Fed/Empire rank progress will continue to rise even if you are at 100% to a particular rank and don't do the promotion. You'll just wind up in a situation where you have to do multiple promo missions to hit your proper rank.

Getting them is really loving random, some stations/systems will almost always give you one, so if you really want to rank up just try random stations in appropriate systems.

I ground up my Fed rank real fast doing the Sothus/Ceos run. That earned money and rank crazy fast. I went from 17 million to 100 million in like 3 days.

EDIT: Speaking of, if anybody has any good suggestions for FDL builds, I could use some. I've got everything up to A-Rank, but I donno about what equipment I should give it.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Jan 28, 2017

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

Did a 5k ly passenger mission. Crashed at the end during docking because i wasn't paying attention/drunk :negative:

adamantium|wang
Sep 14, 2003

Missing you
I'm on a 22,000ly round trip and my passenger is already unhappy because we were scanned as we were departing. Looking forward to him and the 15 million credit payment vanishing because I don't make it through the mail slot in time.

Doesn't really matter though, I plan to use the exploration data to get allied quick with a couple of minor factions.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

adamantium|wang posted:

I'm on a 22,000ly round trip and my passenger is already unhappy because we were scanned as we were departing. Looking forward to him and the 15 million credit payment vanishing because I don't make it through the mail slot in time.

Doesn't really matter though, I plan to use the exploration data to get allied quick with a couple of minor factions.

I think it's a 3-strike thing. So even if you got scanned while docking you'd be good as long as you didn't make them unhappy during your trip.

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
The last passenger mission I did I accidentally (on purpose) boosted out of the mail slot and hit the side instantly making him unhappy from hull damage so I had to turn around and land to fail it :(

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Passengers are the worst.

"Waaah, I have strange fetishes and want to drink bootleg liquor from a body-strewn spaceship crash!"

"Waaah, while you were fetching my liquor, a random liquor-pirate scanned me!"

"Waaah, I'm real mad now, take me to a visitor beacon!"

"Waaah, whilst dodging pirates you lost your nerve and silent runninged into the visitor beacon and crumpled your hull like an old tin can! I'm not paying you, now fly me somewhere else at your own expense!"

"Waaah, too slow, I'm ejecting myself into the void! Eat poo poo, fuckhole!" WHOOOOOOOSH

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Today's Creepy Brown Sea Topic (TCBST) - https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php/325468-Womans-and-character-generator

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

:catstare:

Emnity
Sep 24, 2009

King of Scotland
That is one crazy discussion that pushes all the 'political correctness' buttons.

Yet I can't look away..

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
Excuse me Frontier how to set my ship dress code to sexy space bikini?

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

TomR posted:

Gotta install the wardrobe module first (available in size 5 and 7, only on the beluga). Only male model support.

tooterfish
Jul 13, 2013

TomR posted:

Excuse me but this micro bikini is equipped with a remlock device, so it's perfectly appropriate shipboard dress.

And yes before you ask, these PVC stiletto heeled thigh boots are magnetic.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

That's it, from now on I'm only playing the forums on Solo Mode

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

I will never understand why assholes keep harping on the "uglyness" of character models in Elite. They're all perfectly fine, do these walking retardants not accept anything below the level of anime super-model or whatever?

One in the Bum
Apr 25, 2014

Hair Elf
I want to turn my beluga into a flying brothel. Frontier, please to make it so!

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING
I have said this before:

After 1000 years of sexual equality, there is the result; everyone is ugly.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Krycek posted:

I want to turn my beluga into a flying brothel. Frontier, please to make it so!

I, fellow Frontier forums posters, think Elite: Dangerous and Second Life would blend together quite seamlessly

TheKeeper
Jul 18, 2003

Quantum Shit
I have to say (other than the desire to have realistically modeled cat-chicks with dicks wandering around my cockpit) I would like to see some evidence of technology outside of ships/stations. The Sol system should be littered with space elevators and artificial rings and gently caress it have a Dyson sphere! Without such things my immersion is quickly ruined to the point where I get angry and yell at my mom when she brings my Hot Pocket down to me.

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I have said this before:

After 1000 years of sexual equality, there is the result; everyone is ugly.

Yes it's a well known fact that unopressed women turn into potatoheads :biotruths:

Atrayonis
Jul 6, 2008

Godspeed, brave canary
Long hair of course works really well with space pilots when the helmets drop in emergency situation.

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.

Atrayonis posted:

Long hair of course works really well with space pilots when the helmets drop in emergency situation.

There are ancient tales of bands that people with long hair use to put in their hair that could hold it down or out of the way. Truly a lost technology....

Lima
Jun 17, 2012

Colonial Air Force posted:

There are ancient tales of bands that people with long hair use to put in their hair that could hold it down or out of the way. Truly a lost technology....

If only it weren't for the Eravate Space Lice scourge :smith:

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

Lima posted:

If only it weren't for the Eravate Space Lice scourge :smith:

Canonically, is the E:D universe a pubeless society???

This. changes. everything.

Chrysophylax
Dec 28, 2006
._.

What the gently caress :cripes:

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

You gotta love how he drops the creepy bomb right there in the second sentence.

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

:3:

DancingShade
Jul 26, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

I hope wild crazy space hair is an avatar option.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Why would I pay off these legacy fines?

ughhhh
Oct 17, 2012

So now that im back in the bubble and crashing my ship, whats a good place to do some massacre missions for federation rank? Pikum where i was has ended its civil war.

Breetai
Nov 6, 2005

🥄Mah spoon is too big!🍌
Mitterand Hollow is amazing.

(Check the times)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pilchenstein
May 17, 2012

So your plan is for half of us to die?

Hot Rope Guy
Is that the guy who had the meltdown at Bioware over women with short hair?

• Locked thread