Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
Sex...

is VERY NICE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
For real though I'll stop. I was just excited.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hell yeah. Don't let mean ol Count Wyoming put you down.

Actually, I'm just gonna assume Wyoming is Count Olaf, because he seems like that kind of person.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

CelticPredator posted:

Hell yeah. Don't let mean ol Count Wyoming put you down.

Actually, I'm just gonna assume Wyoming is Count Olaf, because he seems like that kind of person.

Cry about it to /r/incel

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Why would I do that? I just think you hate children and want to steal their fortune.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FreudianSlippers posted:

I had sex once, or maybe twice, I don't remember.

I think I hosed your girlfriend once. Maybe twice, I don't remember. Then I hosed all your friends' girlfriends, now they hate you.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Dark Archie is hella boss and I don't understand the complaints about Jughead no longer being asexual because in the one episode that exists he kinda seems pretty asexual.

Power of Pecota
Aug 4, 2007

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

the new ones are real good

When I first read that Ryan North was taking over I almost bought an Archie/Sabrina the Teenage Witch comic book as an adult, which was a bridge I didn't want to cross. I'm totally checking out Dark Archie this weekend though.

DC Murderverse posted:

I'm watching a really disgusting episode of SVU and man, James Van Der Beek deserves to be a star. Not like, a lovely Dawson's Creek star, but like, "plays sociopaths for the next 40 years" star.

DC Murderverse posted:

please son, don't act like I haven't seen every episode of that show. It began my love of Le Beek.

If you haven't seen The Rules of Attraction, I don't think it's possible to be further in the target demo.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Power of Pecota posted:

If you haven't seen The Rules of Attraction, I don't think it's possible to be further in the target demo.

Goofy and legit great film.
Bret Easton Ellis loves it as well, says it's the best adaptation of his work.
Dude has some interesting views on films, bums me out he rarely posts on twitter anymore.

https://twitter.com/breteastonellis/status/231129243516538882
https://twitter.com/breteastonellis/status/701985964462198784
https://twitter.com/breteastonellis/status/727399215098269697

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

wyoming posted:

Goofy and legit great film.
Bret Easton Ellis loves it as well, says it's the best adaptation of his work.
Dude has some interesting views on films, bums me out he rarely posts on twitter anymore.

https://twitter.com/breteastonellis/status/231129243516538882
https://twitter.com/breteastonellis/status/701985964462198784
https://twitter.com/breteastonellis/status/727399215098269697

I think Brett Easton Ellis just got super butt hurt no one offered him the job of writing and directing 50 Shades of Gray, starring James Deen (before we found out Deen was a rapist).

Terrorist Fistbump
Jan 29, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

Coffee And Pie posted:

I finally watched Stop Making Sense. It was good.

Know what else I did?

Had sex

Twice

I'm so loving sore

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q8JIbltEf_k

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I hate the new Amazon Alexa ad where the guy asks how many calories in a chicken wing then switches to potato salad. Potato salad is just as high in calories and you're likely to eat it more quickly you stupid fucks!!!

CPL593H
Oct 28, 2009

I know what you did last summer, and frankly I am displeased.

married but discreet posted:

So has anyone actually read an Archie comic?

I haven't read any classic Archie but I read Afterlife With Archie, The Chilling Adventures of Sabrina, and I read the first issue of the Chip Zdarsky one. The only reason I didn't read more of the Zdarsky book is because my list is too long already.

ANYWAY. Riverdale is real good. Thanks for reminding me about it, Jenny.

CelticPredator posted:

I watched Hellboy like, two nights ago, and during the scene when Broom is getting his diagnosis I thought "Man it's gonna suck when John Hurt dies."

And I was right. He was always a joy. A constant joy to watch. Alien was the first film I saw him in at the small age of 6. And he was always one of my favorites since. Someone made Alien themed beer, but I can't find it. So I guess I'll just drink this really high alcohol content sour beer instead.

If you mean Giger Bar there's two of them and they're in Switzerland.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Nah some company made a beer called IPAlien and it has an "alien" on it with the alien font. My buddy saved one for me tomorrow when we see fire walk with me. P stoked on that.

Mahlertov Cocktail
Mar 1, 2010

I ate your Mahler avatar! Hahahaha!
John Hurt has died.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/jan/28/john-hurt-dead-the-elephant-man-alien-harry-potter-midnight-express?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Much like the Young Pope before it I'm not sure if this Dark Archie is a real thing or some kind of internet joke I don't get.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

FishBulb posted:

Much like the Young Pope before it I'm not sure if this Dark Archie is a real thing or some kind of internet joke I don't get.

In 2017, everything's real
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNs-d_rxW0Q

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012
U leave town for one week &

Hat Thoughts fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 30, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

glam rock hamhock posted:

That is oddly relevant to Kuso

Do I wanna know?

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Anonymous Robot posted:

Apparently the WWE is releasing a movie about a telekinetic teen magician that battles drug dealers?

Sleight, or as I call it, Chronicle of The Hood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O0PeDhBCktU

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 14:36 on Jan 28, 2017

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Rules of Attraction fell into the Donnie Darko category of movies I genuinely enjoyed as an idiot teen but when I tried to watch as an adult were top to bottom cringe-inducing dialogue.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

I can usually understand where people are coming from with their movie opinions, but there are a lot of people I know that insist that Batman V Superman was one of the best movies of last year and I just do not get it

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Coffee And Pie posted:

I finally watched Stop Making Sense. It was good.

Know what else I did?

Had sex

Twice

I'm so loving sore

Making flippy floppy

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I can usually understand where people are coming from with their movie opinions, but there are a lot of people I know that insist that Batman V Superman was one of the best movies of last year and I just do not get it
They have an inflated opinion of superhero films.

And/or they're crushing on Wonder Woman.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Do I wanna know?

Probably don't need to spoil this but at one point Tim Heidecker is describing what it was like having sex with a drunk passed out girl to said girl and says it was like loving a dead dog, which he clarifies is really hot

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

It's a film that's exemplary of 'comic book movie' as a genre and as an aesthetic (as opposed to Dark Knight or whatever - a crime thriller where a guy happens to wear a costume. Or the repeated insistence that Captain America 2 is a '70s political thriller', etc.).

It's a film that revels in the contradiction of being this base corporate ad campaign that sells the Death of Christ with sequel teasers and fan service. The Revelation To John was a Hollywood movie trailer, argues Snyder. And vice-versa.

For people who don't actually like comic-book movies, those elements that make it good are dismissed as obstructions. They 'prevent' the film from being a crime thriller, or Star Wars, or what have you. So they end up confused and unhappy.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Easy out: that's not a movie opinion.

weekly font posted:

Rules of Attraction fell into the Donnie Darko category of movies I genuinely enjoyed as an idiot teen but when I tried to watch as an adult were top to bottom cringe-inducing dialogue.

American Psycho is the better movie, but Rules of Attraction is the better Bret Easton Ellis movie.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I almost forgot to mention this amongst all the Sundance stuff but on the plane ride here I saw Shin Godzilla and Shin Godzilla does in fact own pretty god dammed hard

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Plays that should be movies: The Beauty Queen of Leenane.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

It's a film that's exemplary of 'comic book movie' as a genre and as an aesthetic (as opposed to Dark Knight or whatever - a crime thriller where a guy happens to wear a costume. Or the repeated insistence that Captain America 2 is a '70s political thriller', etc.).

It's a film that revels in the contradiction of being this base corporate ad campaign that sells the Death of Christ with sequel teasers and fan service. The Revelation To John was a Hollywood movie trailer, argues Snyder. And vice-versa.

For people who don't actually like comic-book movies, those elements that make it good are dismissed as obstructions. They 'prevent' the film from being a crime thriller, or Star Wars, or what have you. So they end up confused and unhappy.

ah, the life of the party

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 17:01 on Jan 28, 2017

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

glam rock hamhock posted:

I almost forgot to mention this amongst all the Sundance stuff but on the plane ride here I saw Shin Godzilla and Shin Godzilla does in fact own pretty god dammed hard

drat straight.

edit:

Skwirl posted:

I think Brett Easton Ellis just got super butt hurt no one offered him the job of writing and directing 50 Shades of Gray, starring James Deen (before we found out Deen was a rapist).

He didn't so much 'find out' he was a rapist as he did see that there were several women who accused him of sexual assault and then concluded it was 'mass hysteria' a la the Salem witch hunts. It's poo poo like that which kind of makes me forgive all the heat American Psycho got when it first came out.

Also, I find it rather ironic that he's at once disenchanted with "Indie Arthouse Horror" or whatever, but still name-checks The Invitation as a great 2016 film. Like, that's case-in-point Indie Arthouse Horror - it's even a reactionary, mumblecore remake of The Purge!

K. Waste fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Jan 28, 2017

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

https://twitter.com/dril/status/255115804452999169

K. Waste posted:

Also, I find it rather ironic that he's at once disenchanted with "Indie Arthouse Horror" or whatever, but still name-checks The Invitation as a great 2016 film. Like, that's case-in-point Indie Arthouse Horror - it's even a reactionary, mumblecore remake of The Purge!

The only movie that's more Indie Arthouse Horror than The Invitation is The Midnight Swim.

Hbomberguy
Jul 4, 2009

[culla=big red]TufFEE did nO THINg W̡RA̸NG[/read]

K. Waste posted:

Wasn't that after he was basically "Sonic eats chili dogs as a presexual fetish"?

Speaking of which, Hbomberguy has a new video up about reactions to Mario Odyssey, and I wouldn't want to say that SMG clearly inspired a segment about Sonic and chili dogs, but I did see that, and hear Hbomberguy talking about it, and wonder how often that dude still posts/lurks.

Gonna post it cause it's legit like you know it is

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_IT0C7bm2s

I definitely agree with SMG's point about Sonic. I feel like we've both arrived at similar conclusions, IE that the appeal in a lot of media where characters display intimacy but without real human complications, or where the character is basically inhumanly happy about collecting stars and getting some cake, is precisely the appeal of the character because we wish we were so uncomplicated by human flaws. I'm curious to see how SMG arrived at their version.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The only movie that's more Indie Arthouse Horror than The Invitation is The Midnight Swim.

Wow you really hated it didn't you.

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Hbomberguy posted:

I definitely agree with SMG's point about Sonic. I feel like we've both arrived at similar conclusions, IE that the appeal in a lot of media where characters display intimacy but without real human complications, or where the character is basically inhumanly happy about collecting stars and getting some cake, is precisely the appeal of the character because we wish we were so uncomplicated by human flaws. I'm curious to see how SMG arrived at their version.

Bomberguy, Mario says, "So long, gay bowser"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
It's about wishing we could remain in a perpetual tween state, always on the verge but never actually getting there because the desire is better than the reality.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hbomberguy posted:

Is that really such a revelation? I mean, I don't mean to be a dick, your video was good, but isn't "wishing our life was like that" the inherent appeal of all escapist media? We wish our high school years were like Harry Potter, full of adventure and magic and being special, we wish we were as badass as John McClain or [Insert Generic Video Game Space Marine], etc.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Why would something need to be a revelation to be insightful?

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

DC Murderverse posted:

we are not your livejournal

Man whatever I post about my dumb poo poo here all the time

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

wyoming posted:

Cry about it to /r/incel

How are you consistently this fuckin bad Jesus Christ

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Skwirl posted:

Dark Archie is hella boss and I don't understand the complaints about Jughead no longer being asexual because in the one episode that exists he kinda seems pretty asexual.

They're referring to the comics I think where Chip Zdarsky explicitly said he was asexual

• Locked thread