Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Why would something need to be a revelation to be insightful?

It doesn't, of course, but Hbomb is wondering how SMG "arrived at his conclusion" and it makes it sound like there's a process involved that I'm not discerning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

Wow you really hated it didn't you.

The Midnight Swim is a ninety minute movie that feels like an eternity. Surprised the Second Coming of Christ didn't happen by the end.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The Midnight Swim is a ninety minute movie that feels like an eternity. Surprised the Second Coming of Christ didn't happen by the end.

I was talking about the other one :)

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Skwirl posted:

Dark Archie is hella boss and I don't understand the complaints about Jughead no longer being asexual because in the one episode that exists he kinda seems pretty asexual.

There's a part where literally every teen character goes to the Official gently caress Zone and the only one who decides instead to plug away on his laptop in an empty diner is . . . our man Dark Jughead

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Riverdale is weirdly captivating, it's really bad like every lovely teen drama show but it also has this Deadly Premonitions-esque vibe where all the elements are cargo culted in with so much force that the fakeness becomes internally convincing.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Plays that should be movies: The Beauty Queen of Leenane.

I missed a chance to see this live like three years ago and I'm still upset.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
I DONT UNDERSTAND WHY ITS DARK

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

gently caress Whitey posted:

They're referring to the comics I think where Chip Zdarsky explicitly said he was asexual

I was way drunker than I meant to be when watching Dark Archie, so it's entirely possible I missed something, but I meant Jughead, the character in the TV show, seemed to also be asexual. It's possible that something in a review revealed that he goes to bone town in a future episode I guess.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Riverdale is weirdly captivating, it's really bad like every lovely teen drama show but it also has this Deadly Premonitions-esque vibe where all the elements are cargo culted in with so much force that the fakeness becomes internally convincing.

"What is a Chock'lit Shoppe and why does it sell burgers?"

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I missed a chance to see this live like three years ago and I'm still upset.

I just read it on the bus this morning and the climax was so shocking I had to just look out the window for a couple minutes. It's too bad more plays don't make it to the screen, there's some serious firecrackers floating around out there. August: Osage County getting botched might be the biggest cinematic crime of the last decade.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

I was talking about the other one :)

I figured you already knew how much I disliked The Invitation, so I decided to piledrive The Midnight Swim instead.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Oh poo poo, I gotta take a break from the normal YTOTD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJzh_hGR-Fk

Forbidden Zone, In Color

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I figured you already knew how much I disliked The Invitation, so I decided to piledrive The Midnight Swim instead.

I mean I thought you did but I guess I'm surprised. It seems like I'm the only person that came out of that screening not hating it

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

LesterGroans posted:

"What is a Chock'lit Shoppe and why does it sell burgers?"

I grew up reading Archie religiously so it was a lot of fun seeing different characters and concepts turn up. I'm vaguely upset that Jughead isn't a horrible glutton but extremely delighted that Moose is gay. Maybe Jughead will have a dark compulsive eating subplot.

Oh poo poo, I gotta take a break from the normal YTOTD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pJzh_hGR-Fk

Forbidden Zone, In Color

This is such a phenomenal movie (80s underground is my jam). g is gay, gay gay gay

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
It's one of those movies that loses something not seeing it on VHS, feeling like you're not supposed to be watching it. But it's still great.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

It's one of those movies that loses something not seeing it on VHS, feeling like you're not supposed to be watching it. But it's still great.

Yeah, it feels more like a fever dream from watching too many cartoons than something that actually exists. Love it so.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
It's too bad the colorization isn't more lurid, it kinda came out looking like raw digital footage. Still, Forbidden Zone is way up there on movies I'd love to see a beat-up print of at some crappy arthouse theater. I feel like the proper way to view it is with your feet sticking to a puddle of soda on the floor while the guy two rows behind you halfheartedly jacks off.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Midnight Swim is great but Toad Road is better.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

weekly font posted:

Midnight Swim is great but Toad Road is better.

Toad Road is excellent.

wyoming posted:

Yeah, it feels more like a fever dream from watching too many cartoons than something that actually exists. Love it so.

For sure. Love Susan Tyrell in it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I just read it on the bus this morning and the climax was so shocking I had to just look out the window for a couple minutes. It's too bad more plays don't make it to the screen, there's some serious firecrackers floating around out there. August: Osage County getting botched might be the biggest cinematic crime of the last decade.

"Friedkin would've killed it" is the "Bernie Would've Won" of cinema.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Honestly I think this is the appeal

Archie as a brand has this image of being really cliche and out of date. The show is leaning into that super hard and making that artifice a deliberate choice, which has the added benefit of making the show instantly accessible so they can get right to the insane stuff like the Blossom twins having the whole Cruel Intentions thing going on

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

"Friedkin would've killed it" is the "Bernie Would've Won" of cinema.

"Eat the fish, bitch" should be one of the great on-screen quotes, but here we are.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I'd like to see Betrayed made into a movie. It's pretty simple but I really dig the message and characters.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Skwirl posted:

I was way drunker than I meant to be when watching Dark Archie, so it's entirely possible I missed something, but I meant Jughead, the character in the TV show, seemed to also be asexual. It's possible that something in a review revealed that he goes to bone town in a future episode I guess.

Right but that article is referring to the comics where Zdarsky explicitly wrote Jughead as ace and then North walked it back

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Lurdiak posted:

I'd like to see Betrayed made into a movie. It's pretty simple but I really dig the message and characters.

The George Packer play, or Pinter's Betrayal, because there's a film of the latter that's pretty good but hasn't made it past VHS.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

FishBulb posted:

I mean I thought you did but I guess I'm surprised. It seems like I'm the only person that came out of that screening not hating it

It did pretty well with critics, and it was incredibly hyped before its official release. I think I just didn't jive with it at all.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Like Riverdale feels like a product of teen shows from ten years ago, all snark and insanely on point pop culture references that no teenager would ever make and exactly the plot beats you would expect from one of those shows if it revolved around a love triangle. Here's the everyman, here's the rear end in a top hat jock, here's the gay best friend, here's the rich new girl, here's the girl next door. Also, here's a murdered twin who it's implied was in a real weird relationship with his sister!

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot
Also a dude came in today to get some stuff graded and he had the first appearance of Galactus

Which is insanely cool

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

X-Ray Pecs posted:

It did pretty well with critics, and it was incredibly hyped before its official release. I think I just didn't jive with it at all.

Well everyone I talked to that day hated it so I think it was just poorly placed in the marathon. Like it was barely a horror film and shouldn't have followed Suspiria. Just bad programming.

Also a dude came in today to get some stuff graded and he had the first appearance of Galactus

Which is insanely cool

You guys grade stuff in shop or send it out or what?

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
"Season five Betty Draper"

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Magic Hate Ball posted:

"Season five Betty Draper"

Yeah that and the Truman Capote line were the ones I was thinking of

FishBulb posted:

Well everyone I talked to that day hated it so I think it was just poorly placed in the marathon. Like it was barely a horror film and shouldn't have followed Suspiria. Just bad programming.

You guys grade stuff in shop or send it out or what?

Nah. Nobody does as far as I know. We send it out to CGC so you don't have to.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Right but that article is referring to the comics where Zdarsky explicitly wrote Jughead as ace and then North walked it back

Oh, I misunderstood, people are upset that comic book Jughead is no longer asexual. I keep meaning to read the new comics but haven't. Doesn't Archie Press have an unlimited service like Marvel? Do you know if it's any good?

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Skwirl posted:

Oh, I misunderstood, people are upset that comic book Jughead is no longer asexual. I keep meaning to read the new comics but haven't. Doesn't Archie Press have an unlimited service like Marvel? Do you know if it's any good?

Haven't tried their app but the new comics are fantastic

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

Nah. Nobody does as far as I know. We send it out to CGC so you don't have to.

Yeah that makes sense. I should really do that but ugh effort. I wish I could just drop them off somewhere. I know they used to accept drop offs at San Diego comic con

SEX HAVER 40000
Aug 6, 2009

no doves fly here lol
The Founder would make an on-the-nose double feature with Nightcrawler.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I still can't get over the idea that people take Archie seriously. I thought it was a joke like Family Circus or Doonesbury.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Archie's been dope for years, I'm glad people are finally realizing it.

Fuck Whitey
Nov 9, 2016

by SA Support Robot

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Archie's been dope for years, I'm glad people are finally realizing it.

I have like half a thesis about comics as cultural snapshots and Archie is that writ large

Lil Mama Im Sorry
Oct 14, 2012

I'M BACK AND I'M SCARIN' WHITE FOLKS
life update:

roommate is angry and listening to nu-metal, gently caress ya

also, might be moving into my own place in 3 days that's like 10 min away from Donald Trump's palm beach mansion

Also: which one of you is this?

its me

Lil Mama Im Sorry fucked around with this message at 19:02 on Jan 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer