Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

SweetBro posted:

How the poo poo do I get the game to stop replacing my colors with my team colors?

Neutral colors are only for 1v1. There are different team colors you can select.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sultan Tarquin
Jul 29, 2007

and what kind of world would it be? HUH?!
My friends are getting real pissed at my Nobushi. Not because of the bleed but the back dodge is just loving magic. The class is apparently a wizard because when you do a dodge sometimes the weapons clip through the model :haw:

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

Sultan Tarquin posted:

My friends are getting real pissed at my Nobushi. Not because of the bleed but the back dodge is just loving magic. The class is apparently a wizard because when you do a dodge sometimes the weapons clip through the model :haw:

Nobushi is by far the strongest class in the game. Bleed needs to not kill, just bring people down to 1 hp. It's far too viable to just do a quick attack to bleed, then back off, rinse and repeat. Nobushi is at 0 risk when fighting characters without a quick dashing attack, which is most of them.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

This game definitely seems fun

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Dezztroy posted:

Nobushi is by far the strongest class in the game. Bleed needs to not kill, just bring people down to 1 hp. It's far too viable to just do a quick attack to bleed, then back off, rinse and repeat. Nobushi is at 0 risk when fighting characters without a quick dashing attack, which is most of them.

The important part to keep in mind is that only some of her attacks can inflict bleed. The major one is the top poke/retreat, Viper's Retreat. Basically default your guard to the top and you'll be reasonably safe from that.

The next one in line comes as a followup after a kick or guardbreak. The important part about the kick is that it can only come after a non-blocked attack or out of the hidden stance, so you can get into the rhythm of getting ready to dodge after either of those.

Finally there's the third attack of her light combo. That should rarely be an issue, since the second attack of the combo comes out very slowly and is easily blocked.

The thing about nobushi is that she's great at punishing and baiting, but actually not all that great at initiating. The dodge pokes and viper's retreat are easy to prepare for, and she's got no real follow through on a regular light attack since the followups are so slow. Your best bet is to approach her fairly conservatively like you would an assassin, focusing on light attacks and guardbreaks. Bait her into having to attack you, and you'll have some great opportunities on parries on the second attack of any combo.

And if you think she's the strongest, you haven't seen a capable warlord in action. So. Many. Blocks. :negative:

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

The only other game that's scratched the competitive itch which FH so neatly reaches has been Rocket League. If you're the competitive sort, you can binge this game's 1v1 for hours.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Never heard of this game until I stumbled upon it the other day. Looks cool as gently caress. If it has any longevity at all, I'm in

Dezztroy
Dec 28, 2012

She has more attacks that cause bleed that ones that don't.

All dodge attacks cause bleed, along with being very fast and extremely long range.

She can cancel her invincibility stance into a two-hit combo, second of which causes bleed.

Even her zone attack causes bleed.

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

I'm a little late to the party because I haven't been following this since the last tech test, but I have 3 invites for anyone who wants to get in for today/tomorrow. First come first serve obviously. More of you nerds need to be in mumble chopping mans.

Add me on uplay: FreshSheshBesh

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

I'm a little late to the party because I haven't been following this since the last tech test, but I have 3 invites for anyone who wants to get in for today/tomorrow. First come first serve obviously. More of you nerds need to be in mumble chopping mans.

I've added you BUDDY

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?
About 4 hours in - I don't think I'll buy it.

The game and combat itself is ok but something is missing and I don't see myself playing it for more than 10 hours in total. I find 2v2 and 4v4 is annoying because most people will run away when they're low or team up.

Chivalry did it better.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
I haven't played it yet but from watching videos it seems like it is sorely lacking stuff like objectives. Almost all gameplay vids I saw were people piling on some straggler or stabbing eachother in the back while running around a small map. Repeat for 15 min...

Feels like an "assault/defend" playstyle would have been cooler where one team is dedicated to defense and the other is attacking, like in Overwatch or something.

punch drunk
Nov 12, 2006

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

Added you too.

I've always been a sucker for any of these medieval type games. I miss CRPG in the original Mount and Blade.

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

The visuals are wonderful and the effects are nice, but it definitely does feel like something is missing. Aside from the constant disconnects, people do just tend to sprint away if they lose more than half their health and duel mode seems to be the only real source of fighting to the bitter end. I like duel mode, but I'm not sure that could carry the game alone as Dominion is all about running away until you have superior numbers from what I've experienced in eight hours or so.

The soldiers that you can dynasty warriors blow up here and there are a nice touch, but they seem to cause desyncs more than anything else. On top of that, the combat feels a bit clunky despite being largely intuitive. I might wait a bit and see before considering a purchase, but right now definitely not.

George Rouncewell
Jul 20, 2007

You think that's illegal? Heh, watch this.
Dominion really needs to incentivize standing and fighting or just punishing retreats

Stokes
Jun 13, 2003

Maybe Kris can come in, and we can throw M-80s at his asshole.

Evil Canadian posted:

Hot springs are some serious poo poo I guess

https://gfycat.com/IlliterateOblongIberianlynx

This happened on Peeve's stream last night.
https://clips.twitch.tv/peeve/PerfectPartridgePicoMause

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Running away is fine with me if health doesn't regen. But running away to your zones and regenning is lame as hell

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Fresh Shesh Besh posted:

my man

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

I haven't played it yet but from watching videos it seems like it is sorely lacking stuff like objectives. Almost all gameplay vids I saw were people piling on some straggler or stabbing eachother in the back while running around a small map. Repeat for 15 min...

Feels like an "assault/defend" playstyle would have been cooler where one team is dedicated to defense and the other is attacking, like in Overwatch or something.

I agree that a more robust "big battle" mode would go a long way towards bringing up the game's value. Dominion isn't awful or anything... but it's really not great either. It's just there. It feels like it only exists because they felt obligated to have a "big team" mode and not because they actually had any cool ideas they wanted to implement. Unfortunately it's probably impossible for them to implement something that truly feels like a grand battle with just 4v4, because peer to peer hosting is really sketch the higher the player count.

It kind of reminds of when Star Wars: Battlefront came out. That game was also commonly accused of having too little content and hinging on the Walker Assault mode. The thing is that Walker Assault was loving awesome. I paid my $60 for Battlefront at release and then played the crap out of the game. If I pay $60 for this I think it'll just get shelved in a week.

It is possible that the Season Pass content and other things will make this a full fledged game with lots to do and enjoy. And if that happens I'll gladly buy it down the road. But the release version just seems incredibly bare bones. I'd recommend to basically everyone not to buy it at release, but to put it on their "watch and wait" list.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 18:02 on Jan 28, 2017

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

Dominion really needs to incentivize standing and fighting or just punishing retreats

Dominion isn't about kills they retreat you take objective. Which IMO helps win the game faster than chasing down a kill

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

An important part about Dominion is that when you're actively squatting on a CP your team owns, you get twice the points per second for it than when you leave it alone. So when your opponent runs off, you just go back to one of your CPs and chill on it (or cap the one they were defending). Any second they're not actively fighting you means you're getting that much closer to overall victory in a hurry.

Fake edit: Oh, almost forgot, just sitting on the CP only works for A and C. For central the B CP, you can get additional points by slaughtering the AI soldiers.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Is there a meta for dominion? Like 1 stay home, 2 mid, 1 floater?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Dezztroy posted:

Some characters have a passive that grants immunity to bleed, but it seems pretty costly to give up one of your slots just in case you get a bleed. I agree it should stop at 1hp.

tokenbrownguy posted:

The only other game that's scratched the competitive itch which FH so neatly reaches has been Rocket League. If you're the competitive sort, you can binge this game's 1v1 for hours.

4v4 is great too. Its like DOTA.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Keegers posted:

Is there a meta for dominion? Like 1 stay home, 2 mid, 1 floater?

Hard to say for sure, but it sounds like you're thinking about it already. Ideally you want to grab A and C and then have all 4 of your dudes fight together at B, because only people fighting at B get a lot of mooks to level up on, and then you can work together to 4v4 or 4v3 or 4v2 your enemy, kill them, and then level up more than them while they're dead. Then if the enemy breaks off to cap A or C again, you send 1 or 2 people off to go stop them.

I imagine a well-coordinated team would play kinda like a DOTA team with calls for people from A and C to sneak back mid and gank players from behind and stuff. Teaming up against enemies is really powerful, in a 2v1 you're almost guaranteed to win. So try to force 2v1 or 3v2 or 4v3 encounters so you can kill your enemy easily, then kill the other remaining player while those players are respawning.

If you're losing though, you want to plant one person on your closest point, A or C, because having somebody stand there gives you +2 points a tick instead of +1. If orange holds B and C and blue holds A but there's a blue player at A and not an orange player at C, then the teams earn the same number of points. +2 and +2. So you can tie the game just by holding a single point and giving them hell. If they push for C, you rush A (and or B).

Another thing is if you're having some people hang at B and others run off to contest or hold A or C, the people at B are going to level faster. So do you let one or two people stay at B, get all their abilities, and become the "carry" ? Or do you rotate out so everybody gets equal XP? I don't know. It'll take lots of experimentation to find the real meta.

Unfortunately a skill-based game beta means you're mostly matched up with people who have never played the game before and can't do poo poo.

STOP WITH THE FRIENDLY FIRE GUYS! I'M ON YOUR TEAM!

Very sick of being just short of finishing off an enemy, when some ally runs in, beats me up and staggers me and interrupts my combo, and then the enemy player turns and runs away. Yeah, thanks for the help buddy!

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

I'm having fun but I feel like I'm getting outclassed by higher level better equipped players when dueling. Is there going to be any control over matching players of equal skill, level or equipment? It's not as fun picking a lvl 1 character just to go up against a lvl 11 peacebringer.

Keegers
Aug 11, 2014

Corte posted:

I'm having fun but I feel like I'm getting outclassed by higher level better equipped players when dueling. Is there going to be any control over matching players of equal skill, level or equipment? It's not as fun picking a lvl 1 character just to go up against a lvl 11 peacebringer.

Equipment isn't a thing in 1v1

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Chomp8645 posted:

I agree that a more robust "big battle" mode would go a long way towards bringing up the game's value. Dominion isn't awful or anything... but it's really not great either. It's just there. It feels like it only exists because they felt obligated to have a "big team" mode and not because they actually had any cool ideas they wanted to implement. Unfortunately it's probably impossible for them to implement something that truly feels like a grand battle with just 4v4, because peer to peer hosting is really sketch the higher the player count.

Completely disagree. Different strokes for different folks and all that, but since they fixed the server issues so I can actually get a game of Dominion with players now and not just AIs, I haven't gone back to duels once. Its really good when you get the hang of it.

There's no mooks in 1v1! Killing mooks feels good man :)

TV dog Wishbone of PBS posted:

It does, holding a point heals you constantly. The thing is this is a beta for a competitive game and half the players don't even know the melee controls much less how to play dominion properly. They're clueless. Its like playing poker with complete newbies; you can't get any strategy together because people's bets are completely random and nonsensical. You can't read players.

Once the full game is out and there's a much bigger audience to matchmake with, it'll improve. Whenever I get in a round where most of the players are level 20+ its an absolute blast.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Any word on if I should get this for PS4 or PC?

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Corte posted:

Don't let the equipment get to you, its really pretty minor. The game just has pretty deep, complicated combat. Its very close to a fighting game in that regard. Move cancels, combo strings, mixups, etc. If you're not really trying to learn all that, you're going to get rocked regardless of gear level.

Try fighting a level 1, level 2 or level 3 AI. Those shouldn't have any gear whatsoever beyond the defaults, so then you can tell if its just skill or not. Level 3 bots are pretty competent.

Level 11 is nothing dude. You go up to like level 60 and then you prestige and do it 10 times. Level 11 is like, an hour of play.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zaphod42 posted:

Don't let the equipment get to you, its really pretty minor. The game just has pretty deep, complicated combat. Its very close to a fighting game in that regard. Move cancels, combo strings, mixups, etc. If you're not really trying to learn all that, you're going to get rocked regardless of gear level.

Try fighting a level 1, level 2 or level 3 AI. Those shouldn't have any gear whatsoever beyond the defaults, so then you can tell if its just skill or not. Level 3 bots are pretty competent.

Level 11 is nothing dude. You go up to like level 60 and then you prestige and do it 10 times. Level 11 is like, an hour of play.

Prestiging actually occurs every 20 levels. :ssh:

But yeah, you can get to 11 within just a few hours of playing, particularly with missions.

Perestroika fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jan 28, 2017

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747
Is the weapon a class can use set it stone? Like, can a Valkyrie use sword & shield, or will she always have to use a spear + shield?

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
The game is growing on me

It was incredibly frustrating for the first hour or two as I just failed at everything and had no idea what to do and that loving enemy nobushi kept slicing me apart

But now I'm racking up kills and it feels good. Still, the game needs more gamemodes and wayyyyyyy more maps or else people won't stick around

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

I see people saying there are heroes not in the beta, is that so? Do we know how many are in the full game? This game is neat but echoing the "not $60 neat" sentiment. I might pick this up on GMG or something for cheaper.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
There's that fat samurai with the spike club guy missing at least

https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/resource/en-US/game/forhonor/fh-game/fh_hero-shugoki_1274kbps_ncsa.mp4

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

LLJKSiLk posted:

PS4 will have a lot more players but otherwise it's a toss up.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
And the lawbringer;
https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/resource/en-US/game/forhonor/fh-game/fh_hero-lawbringer-1274kbps_ncsa.mp4

and valkyries
https://ubistatic19-a.akamaihd.net/resource/en-US/game/forhonor/fh-game/fh_hero-valkyrie-1274kbps_ncsa.mp4

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Thanks for the responses guys I think I needed the ego check and just gotta git gud. As I mentioned I'm having a lot of fun the only thing so far that I can turning me off is the monetization model.

Gunder
May 22, 2003

This game needs a winner-stays-on Duel mode. Some place you and your friends can take turns dueling each other, with the victor staying on to face the next challenger.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Game needs a map that is 10x the size of the current 4v4 maps and then make it a 12vs12 map :getin:

They should also do

*mounted combat
*naval combat and boarding
*wizards

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Zzulu posted:

The game is growing on me

It was incredibly frustrating for the first hour or two as I just failed at everything and had no idea what to do and that loving enemy nobushi kept slicing me apart

But now I'm racking up kills and it feels good. Still, the game needs more gamemodes and wayyyyyyy more maps or else people won't stick around

Yeah, I think there'll be at least one more game mode in the full version, but the whole "more game modes coming in free patches" does sound like they're bracing for not having a ton of content.

The single player / co-op campaign actually looks decent at least:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQ6O8XQsoQk

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7akTdXwfWU

Gunder posted:

This game needs a winner-stays-on Duel mode. Some place you and your friends can take turns dueling each other, with the victor staying on to face the next challenger.

Yeah, it really need a duel arena where you can chill and challenge each other and spectate people like Blade Symphony or a couple other games.

Or at least a winner-stays arcade style 1v1 mode where everybody spectates and takes turns trying to take down the current guy.

LLJKSiLk posted:

PC is having network problems, I haven't played the PS4 beta but people say its not as bad? That'd be a strong reason to go console.

It is a great looking game though so if your PC is beefy you can really take advantage of the visuals.