Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Dugong posted:

U.K. Watch having goons what bands have you got?

Ive got the black sport strap and the brown leather nomad modern strap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I've noticed that my shower can turn off both my Sport and SS watches. The water somehow manipulates the pull up menu and activates Power Reserve. Happens every time, twice a day. I could just take the watch off, but...

Thats why you pull up and hit the water droplet to activate water mode

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Astoundingly Ugly Baby posted:

I've noticed that my shower can turn off both my Sport and SS watches. The water somehow manipulates the pull up menu and activates Power Reserve. Happens every time, twice a day. I could just take the watch off, but...

Straight up unless you're spending an hour in the shower and missing a stand goal there's zero need to wear your watch in there.

dexter6
Sep 22, 2003
Finally the teasing update can be installed!

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

The gooniest thing would be taking a bath with your Apple Watch on

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Link bracelet people, how tight should this be? seems to me when I have 10 links on each side, it's snug, it can slide down my wrist about 1.5 inches by itself, but I certainly "feel" it on my veins. Another link, 11/10 split and it can move down my arm like 3 inches and sometimes the vibration sounds different because it's loose(r). Thoughts? I just wouldnt want to burst the band if it was too tight.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

The answer to all bands' fit is "snug." Otherwise, stuff like the accelerometer and heart rate sensor poo poo the bed (when it comes to statistic tracking, that is.) If you don't mind that, fit yours with aesthetics in mind, and/or just so the wrist detection doesn't accidentally lock the watch. I think your first case scenario sounds good and the second (3 inches of movement) is too loose.

Personally, I wear mine (Milanese Loop) to the point where it can't really slide at all.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Thank you for that breakdown. I guess I was just worried I'd bed my wrist at an angle and the steel would pop but if it's sliding at points I dont think it's tight enough to do that and I'm just not used to the tightness coming from the sport band. I'll keep it snug! Thanks.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Is there an external HR monitor (chest strap) that works with the built in activity app? Nothing like getting 50 burpees into a workout or 2k into a row and show a heart rate of 60 BPM.

Alternatively, but less preferably, is there one with an app that works well and also uses GPS? I'm hesitant to use a third party app as my experience hasn't been stellar with them. Seems as if they don't keep focus completely they have a tendency to time out or close.

Plus I'm a geek and love sharing my activities with my buddies that keep me accountable for trying to be swole.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

TraderStav posted:

Is there an external HR monitor (chest strap) that works with the built in activity app? Nothing like getting 50 burpees into a workout or 2k into a row and show a heart rate of 60 BPM.

Alternatively, but less preferably, is there one with an app that works well and also uses GPS? I'm hesitant to use a third party app as my experience hasn't been stellar with them. Seems as if they don't keep focus completely they have a tendency to time out or close.

Plus I'm a geek and love sharing my activities with my buddies that keep me accountable for trying to be swole.

Any external HR monitor with bluetooth capabilities has paired to my watch without issue. Any of the ones I have are quite generic amazon trash, so just about any should be fine.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

Grassy Knowles posted:

Any external HR monitor with bluetooth capabilities has paired to my watch without issue.
But if you start a workout (with the stock workout app) does the watch use the strap instead of the built in monitor? The ""dropouts" bother me, too.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

WithoutTheFezOn posted:

But if you start a workout (with the stock workout app) does the watch use the strap instead of the built in monitor? The ""dropouts" bother me, too.

Yes, it seems that all things that reference the heart rate defer to the strap when it is paired--whether inside or outside of a workout.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Huh that's pretty drat cool. I didn't know it worked like that.

Anyone have a recommendation for one?

Sacred Cow
Aug 13, 2007
A co-worker of mine is offering his 42mm original Apple Watch Sport for $150. Is that a fair price? I was planning on saving up for a Series 2 but this seems like a pretty decent deal.

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Sacred Cow posted:

A co-worker of mine is offering his 42mm original Apple Watch Sport for $150. Is that a fair price? I was planning on saving up for a Series 2 but this seems like a pretty decent deal.

Good deal. They normally go towards $200.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Sacred Cow posted:

Yeah that's a good price I think.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Couldn't you get/find a used Series 2 sport for about 200? I dunno. I dont like paying over a bill for last gen stuff when the price gap isn't that different.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no

rear end Catchcum posted:

Couldn't you get/find a used Series 2 sport for about 200?
That would be quite the find. 42mm Series 2 watches new start at $399.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
I bought a used series 1 with a couple snazzy bands(Milanese knockoff, and some hardcore case strap with shock protection) for about $260 and I think I got a really good deal.

I double checked, I paid $270 shipped.

decypher fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Jan 31, 2017

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

rear end Catchcum posted:

Couldn't you get/find a used Series 2 sport for about 200?

Not at all.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
Sorry. I am an idiot and forget about serious 0 (because of how loving dumb it is). Sincerely sorry. That's a dope deal.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Any one know the name of the app that takes links from your twitter timeline and puts them all in a list on your watch?

Edit: It's called Nuzzel!!!

decypher fucked around with this message at 18:24 on Jan 31, 2017

Rubiks Pubes
Dec 5, 2003

I wanted to be a neo deconstructivist, but Mom wouldn't let me.
My leather loop band got a little sweaty and stinks now. What is the best way to clean it?

Lowtechs
Jan 12, 2001
Grimey Drawer

Rubiks Pubes posted:

My leather loop band got a little sweaty and stinks now. What is the best way to clean it?

Put it in a ziplock back with the band covered in baking soda overnight or spray with vinegar and water mixture and wipe it down.

WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Saddle soap and mink oil with pine pitch to condition afterwards.

Mattavist
May 24, 2003

Wear it in the shower

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

Rubiks Pubes posted:

Like hundreds of suggestions based on a simple "how to clean a leather watch band" google search.

Why do goon feel compelled to post "I'm gross and don't know how to adult, what do?"

Seafea
Mar 21, 2003

They say it's not what life throws at you, but how you deal with it.
Do these go on sale often? I'm wanting to replace my Pebble and I'm kicking myself for missing Target's last sale on these over the holidays (I think it was like $100 off Series 1, and maybe $50 off Series 2). Trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet and get it. I'm guessing they're probably only discounted around Christmas and maybe graduation in the Spring.

ScooterMcTiny
Apr 7, 2004

Seafea posted:

Do these go on sale often? I'm wanting to replace my Pebble and I'm kicking myself for missing Target's last sale on these over the holidays (I think it was like $100 off Series 1, and maybe $50 off Series 2). Trying to decide if I should just bite the bullet and get it. I'm guessing they're probably only discounted around Christmas and maybe graduation in the Spring.

Refurbs are in stock for about $60 off. That's what I just pulled the trigger on.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

Like hundreds of suggestions based on a simple "how to clean a leather watch band" google search.

Why do goon feel compelled to post "I'm gross and don't know how to adult, what do?"

Because goons are gross and don't know how to be adults.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

Seafea posted:

It feels like Target is offering something on it at most times. I ended up getting mine sometime in December and I got a $50 giftcard with my purchase, and not too long after they were offering something wild like 20% off.

Shammypants
May 25, 2004

Let me tell you about true luxury.

The thread history is pretty funny in the context of 11.6 million sales in 2016. We went from "what a joke of an overpriced product, it's destined to fail" to "as an everygoon who obviously owns an Apple Watch, should I shower with it inside or outside of my butthole?"

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Apparently managed to kill a part of my screen so it's like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1NNZkArMrU

Searching around it looks like if it happens, it's in the same area for everyone. Explanations given are either water damage or too much pressure on screen (or both perhaps) :iiam:. Out of warranty so $249 to repair I assume, or maybe covered under whatever credit card warranty extension thing I guess. Anyone dealt with that stuff and Apple repairs?

Or I can get a new S1 for $70 off ($200-230) at Target:
http://www.target.com/c/apple-watch-electronics-featured-brands/-/N-4xuddZ5tdv0

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
The S1 is not worth it if you have a first gen so if you can get it repaired for a reasonable price, I would do that.

However if you do "upgrade" I would recommend the space black for $299. The DLC coating looks great and is seemingly indestructible.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I forgot my watch today for the first time in months and I'm having to type my password into my computer every time I sit down like some kind of neanderthal.

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

I feel naked without mine.

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

I applied a new Military Grade plastic film to the screen and body which requires a drying period so I don’t have my watch today either. I really miss talking to my wrist.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
The dead spot on my screen almost completely covers the time on the modular face, and 11 to 2 on the analog faces. It makes some uses a bit problematic. Hurry up and approve my repair Visa :argh:

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Nostalgia4Infinity posted:

I feel naked without mine.

Same. I don't notice how much I actually use it until I forget it.

I really hope the series 3 adds more health sensors. I want my watch to display how much health I have left like the one in RE7.:kiddo:

SeANMcBAY fucked around with this message at 23:03 on Feb 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rage-saq
Mar 21, 2001

Thats so ninja...
I think we have reached that point where we can go back through this thread and name and shame people who said the apple watch would fail and its useless technology and laugh at them.

• Locked thread