Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i would play the hell out of a vh2 if it's decently priced aftermarket

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Kilometers Davis posted:

The demo sucks horribly like most NAMM demos but I have a ton of faith in Misha. He's an honest guy with a great ear and this and his new pedal coming out are both full of cool features and are likely very good in person. Is that really the street price though because drat. It fits in the competition at that range but I think it would do way better under $1,500.

it doesn't really have anything to do with misha it's more bewildered amusement at peavey's ongoing decline

also lol they already had the video pulled

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
....Is this useful? I actually don't know. Seems a bit off to me, there's a few people on my facebook going mad for it though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMWRIkDLolo

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli
Dunno. Seems a bit unnecessary to me but I guess it depends on what your playing. At least it's simple and (hopefully) cheap.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
For like $15 tops that seems like a neat idea for people that actually use their pots for their intended purposes instead of just treating them as an On/Off switch.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
yeah i can see the use, if i had one on my tone knob i would probably use it but i can't imagine im going to go out of my way to buy and install one

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

White Dog Eggs posted:

....Is this useful? I actually don't know. Seems a bit off to me, there's a few people on my facebook going mad for it though.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qMWRIkDLolo

That's pretty cool, I actually marked my knobs to line up with a certain amount of tone and volume to get a certain sound, with this I wouldn't need the markings.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
just found a local band looking for another guitarist. they really like weed and and low tuned guitars

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
On the face of it it seems like a cool idea. Here is my disclaimer thing - I use my volume and tone controls exclusively to get my sounds when playing live, so pedals on, one channel, all done through the guitar controls. I go from clean to overdriven this way 100% of the time.
My concern with anything like this Clutch is that it removes the need to learn your controls. I never have to look at my controls as I have learned how to use them well, and the Clutch seems to take this need away. I dunno, seems counter productive to me.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

peter gabriel posted:

My concern with anything like this Clutch is that it removes the need to learn your controls.

That's a little too "back in my day" sounding, this isn't about removing any skill from your guitar playing, but getting the same exact sound if you're changing the tone a bunch. It's like someone complaining the skill of tuning an instrument is removed when you use a tuner when someone else has perfect pitch.

It doesn't matter though as just one Clutch (good for one knob) is $70... so lol

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Yeah to me it's like using a sharpie to mark points on the knob only easier to change settings back and forth on a dark stage quickly.

However:

s.i.r.e. posted:

it doesn't matter though as just one Clutch (good for one knob) is $70... so lol

ahahahahahahahahaha

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

70 bones does seem optimistic. I wonder how much the knockoffs will be, if anyone bothers.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Some "build slots" just opened up for a pedal that I have been lusting for but has been out of stock. Wait time for this magical device? 8-10 weeks. Two and a half months for an effects pedal. Yes I want it that much.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

s.i.r.e. posted:

That's a little too "back in my day" sounding, this isn't about removing any skill from your guitar playing, but getting the same exact sound if you're changing the tone a bunch. It's like someone complaining the skill of tuning an instrument is removed when you use a tuner when someone else has perfect pitch.

It doesn't matter though as just one Clutch (good for one knob) is $70... so lol

I don't mind the idea as such, it's just an example of why it wouldn't maybe be necessary for me, or perhaps others. I honestly don't mean anything negative about the idea and can see how it could be really useful.
Also $70, agreed, lol

Dirt
May 26, 2003

100% serious question(s): Who is your favorite guitarist? Did you buy their guitar/amp/gear? Post some youtube videos please.

I want to check out some other cool people. Ok thanks.

In other news I have been jamming with an old dude who has a 1963 Gibson Firebird(first year!!). He let's me play it a lot. I feel like Johnny Winter every goddamn time I pick it up. Firebirds own.
I want one.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 08:51 on Jan 28, 2017

whiter than a Wilco show
Mar 30, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Dirt posted:

100% serious question(s): Who is your favorite guitarist? Did you buy their guitar/amp/gear? Post some youtube videos please.

Lee Ranaldo

Tom Verlaine

The dudes from q and not u whose names escape me.

Oscar Romeo Romeo
Apr 16, 2010

Dirt posted:

In other news I have been jamming with an old dude who has a 1963 Gibson Firebird(first year!!). He let's me play it a lot. I feel like Johnny Winter every goddamn time I pick it up. Firebirds own.
I want one.

Eddie Van Halen. Weirdly after all the money I've spent on gear in my life, the only signature EVH stuff I've ever bought are his striped Converse shoes, several times. Oh and a little model of his Kramer 5150 guitar which has lost all the tuning pegs because it kept falling off my shelf.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Graham Coxon is mostly why I play a Tele, but I don't really play anything like him.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Dirt posted:

My guitar hero is Rick Graham, not because he's insanely fast, but because he's so loving efficient and his playing is effortless. He doesn't exert more energy than he needs to and it's phenomenal. He's also adept in all styles, can easily shred his way through various scales to Bach levels of fluidity and is a drat good classical guitarist as well. The only person that I've ever found to be more perfect on a technical level was Shawn Lane (RIP). Though, like Shawn Lane, I don't care for the music that he tends write and play himself. I don't think he has any gear but I don't buy anyone's gear save for my Buckethead LP, and that's just a wall decoration at this point.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Honestly mine is Mark Knopfler because deep down I just really, really like the sound of chordwork and he really makes it work in his music :kiddo:

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
I bought a Laney TI15-112 because I wanted a small, doomy, tube amp with an FX loop and it was heavily discounted due to damage so cheaper than anything else. Turned out to be a piece of chalk wedged in the front grill.

I also play E standard tuning with 8-38 strings because my hands are hosed up with arthritis.

Anyone who plays it can sound like Iommi if you just dial everything to 6 and practice open hand vibrato without breaking a string.

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING

Dirt posted:

I want one.

Johnny winter. I ended up with a music man amp by chance, but I bought phaser to sound like him. All I need is a cheap chorus pedal and I'll be set. Anyone got one, holler.

My buddy has a firebird, loves it.

NonzeroCircle
Apr 12, 2010

El Camino
I want Devin Townsend's Ocean Machine pedal to come out ASAP. Gonna drive my bassist mate mad with endless ambience.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

My favorites are maybe Justin Broadrick, King Buzzo, Kevin Shields, and Matt Pike. I usually prefer musicians who can make cool moods rather than facemelt.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Matt Pike.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Dirt posted:

None of my purchases have been because of artists. Usually I just buy what's in my price range and accomplishes what I want from it. But here's been my big influences in the past years as earlier on it was more punk stuff and then Iron Maiden and Slayer for a long time.

Anders Bjorler from At the Gates, The Haunted, et al. (right guitar in the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wyw8qB7kvHc

Jon Nodveidt from Dissection. A huge shitbag that makes incredible riffs. (Middle guitar in the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpHYwKTMdrc&t=120s

Jacob Buczarski is behind the one man project Mare Cognitum and holy gently caress I love this stuff.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDINlp9ABHE

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

It's a boring answer but I love 70s Aerosmith and that extends to their guitar sounds. The band that showed the Stones that we were perfectly capable of ripping off blues guys on this side of the pond as well.

When I say love I don't think I have any of their stuff. I need to get a copy of Toys in the Attic.

As for signature gear I don't care but I lust for one of those purple Robert Cray hardtail strats.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Favourite guitarists, too many to mention but I'll try a top 3! I'm like Spanish Manlove in that my gear buying isn't dictated by any of my heroes but I do think they subconsciously may have an influence.

1) John Squire - Stone Roses. For a few reasons, his playing is complex but melodic and I still think the debut album by them is astounding. For early stuff just check this out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbU7oVz0Uq0

Skip to 3.34 for the breakdown into an instrumental that still to this day blows me away

His later stuff with them is more Led Zeppy but still amazing to me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WD4emkq6XOc

He straddles the line between guitar god and being tasteful, which I really admire.

2) Rory Gallagher, this guy did influence my first 'proper' guitar choice, a black Tele. I will never play like him, and I don't listen to him that often but as a guitarist to look up to he is well up there for me. He's the only guy that I sat and watched videos of when I was a kid, just to see him play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUYC5Q-bqgY

Again I think that that raw, genuine sound is there which I like, it must speak to me in a way nothing else does. Just that feeling of someone meaning it, going for it and making the guitar wail and scream with no cheese.

Eddie Hazel - Funkadelic
Maybe my all time favourite, on the album Maggot Brain you can hear him helping invent funk, that album sits awkwardly between Hendrix style rock and what would become P Funk, and that gives it a unique and magical vibe.
So we get really amazing stuff like Super Stupid which shows off Eddie's staggering ability to play grooves and rock riffs in a funky way, turn this up:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVHrvx-Ua68

And probably his defining moment:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dh3bleXWaCk

For that track he was told to think of something upsetting and play what that felt like, so he thought about his mother dying and just wailed that guitar out. Originally that track was supposed to have a full band going at it but on hearing it the producer hosed most of it off and Kept Eddie's amazing performance as almost a solo

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Eddie Hazel is so underrated.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
This is probably another boring answer but my favorite guitarist has always been David Gilmour from Pink Floyd. I don't think there has ever been a guitarist who uses space between notes quite like Gilmour. Listen to any of his solos from his time with Floyd and so much of the power and feeling comes from the pauses and spaces he leaves in between his playing. It makes every note feel that much more important and meaningful.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Ron Asheton, Tom Verlaine, Greg Ginn, Andy Gill, Roger Miller, Tony Iommi... man i dunno it's hard.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

fyodor posted:

Greg Ginn

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy posted:

My favorites are maybe Justin Broadrick, King Buzzo, Kevin Shields, and Matt Pike. I usually prefer musicians who can make cool moods rather than facemelt.

this is pretty close to how i feel but i'd also add trey spruance

e: and greg ginn, east bay ray, dr know, vernon reid, and richard bishop

e2: how the gently caress could i forget sonny sharrock

The Muppets On PCP fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Jan 28, 2017

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

MrSargent posted:

This is probably another boring answer but my favorite guitarist has always been David Gilmour from Pink Floyd. I don't think there has ever been a guitarist who uses space between notes quite like Gilmour. Listen to any of his solos from his time with Floyd and so much of the power and feeling comes from the pauses and spaces he leaves in between his playing. It makes every note feel that much more important and meaningful.

Totally agree but also some of my favourite stuff by him is when he flips the gently caress out like at the end of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHrE6lM0D2E

It's that nasty blues stuff that I seem to gravitate towards. I think this was also his first recording with them as they slowly ushered Syd out

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

I think I have 4 cds in my car and Maggot Brain is one of them

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Yea definitely King Buzzo and Matt Pike as well.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

...and the pitch! posted:

I think I have 4 cds in my car and Maggot Brain is one of them

It's an amazing piece of work, I'm with you on him being underrated as well, he's almost forgotten but he practically invented genres.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

peter gabriel posted:

It's an amazing piece of work, I'm with you on him being underrated as well, he's almost forgotten but he practically invented genres.

Unrelated but PFunk has a lot of stuff that is fun to sing if you have a very low voice

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Spanish Manlove posted:

Jon Nodveidt from Dissection. A huge shitbag that makes incredible riffs. (Middle guitar in the video)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tpHYwKTMdrc&t=120s

I love Jon and Dissection and it's a god drat shame that after prison the music changed so drastically and he decided to end it because of his super goofy beliefs. He was a piece of work but at least he showed remorse about the murder, so that's kinda redeeming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

...and the pitch! posted:

Unrelated but PFunk has a lot of stuff that is fun to sing if you have a very low voice

This tune will always have a special place in my heart, it's just superb

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gTLxgssOXI

BETTER LUCK NEXT TIIIIME

• Locked thread