Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

John Hurt has passed away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
I'd recommend watching episodes of the original Transformers cartoon like B.O.T., The Girl Who Loved Powerglide and Webworld (in which Galvatron goes to Therapist Planet) before pontificating on the deeper meanings of the Transformers films. Really puts things into perspective.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Inspector Gesicht posted:

Who greenlighted this poo poo. :smith:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

At first I thought he was gonna fellate him.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

kiimo posted:

At first I thought he was gonna fellate him.

Lincoln could use it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Ejaculation Proclamation

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Loppin' on the Lincoln log

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

I don't know who greenlit Elephant Man but thank god they did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7bEVnFlds

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

:(

https://youtu.be/5whe9XtdQgw

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I don't know who greenlit Elephant Man but thank god they did

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sn7bEVnFlds

Apparently, Mel Brooks.

I remember reading that Brooks wanted Lynch to make a film about Hitler and his inner circle, because he felt that only he could portray the banal horror and madness surrounding the Nazi regime.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Young Freud posted:

Apparently, Mel Brooks.

Along with The Fly and Frances.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Femur posted:

was kinda thinking of my favorite Bay movie, is the Rock a conservative movie?

On the one hand, the villain has a pretty noble goal, but it is only noble if you consider just following orders noble in and of itself; and the mercenaries slaughtered the Seal team so fast, and some nerd became an action hero, what end of the spectrum is that?

It's the best Metal Gear Solid movie.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vMvGUCTpCIY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUVsDy0sc3k

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

One more reason to watch the adaptation of Orwell's 1984 I guess...

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Mierenneuker posted:

One more reason to watch the adaptation of Orwell's 1984 I guess...

the acting is fantastic, the direction is "old" as in there arent so many fast cuts as we are used to now

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

Oh no, not again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RrxlbLVcpqI

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

Femur posted:

was kinda thinking of my favorite Bay movie, is the Rock a conservative movie?

On the one hand, the villain has a pretty noble goal, but it is only noble if you consider just following orders noble in and of itself; and the mercenaries slaughtered the Seal team so fast, and some nerd became an action hero, what end of the spectrum is that?

The villains are veterans pushed to an extreme by a lovely system and left mentally broken by war. The US government has been illegally detaining and abusing an allies agent for decades because he uncovered state secrets about a presidential assassination and the main weapon of the terrorist is a horrific nerve gas the US Army has been gleefully manufacturing and got stolen.

It's not exactly pro-government.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

One of my favorite parts of The Rock is that, in the middle of a straightforward action movie, it casually gets mentioned that aliens are real and no one is actually shocked or responds but just keeps focusing on the problem of the rogue Marines.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

The soundtrack is so good, an early Hans Zimmer masterpiece. This closing song is a favorite of mine.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nzB0PqYw1s

Josh Lyman fucked around with this message at 15:07 on Jan 28, 2017

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

Chairman Capone posted:

One of my favorite parts of The Rock is that, in the middle of a straightforward action movie, it casually gets mentioned that aliens are real and no one is actually shocked or responds but just keeps focusing on the problem of the rogue Marines.

Wait, what?

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort
The Rock strikes me as a movie that's pro-soldier but anti-military.

I feel like it's the equivalent of a "Support our troops, not our war" bumper sticker from the mid-2000s.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
It also has the marines turn out to be greedy for their million dollar payday. It's a complex movie. Also that seam engine scene rules.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Sean Connery's character got ahold of some info revealing the truth about a bunch of conspiracy stuff, like the JFK assassination and Roswell. He managed to hide the data in the form of microfilm, but was imprisoned for like 30 years secretly by the US government.

At the end of the movie Cage retrieves the info.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i wouldn't mind subscribing to a bunch of streaming services if american internet was at the speed and price it should be.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Groovelord Neato posted:

i wouldn't mind subscribing to a bunch of streaming services if american internet was at the speed and price it should be.

Do you live in the boonies? I can't argue about the prices being hosed but the speed is fine for streaming video if you live in a city.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovelord Neato posted:

Franchise agreements are among the worst concepts ever imposed on consumers.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Leavemywife posted:

Wait, what?

Yeah what?

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Skwirl posted:

Do you live in the boonies? I can't argue about the prices being hosed but the speed is fine for streaming video if you live in a city.

you know gigabit should be the norm right. and at like half the price people pay for say 70 down.

google fiber should literally be the baseline in this country.

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jan 28, 2017

Prophet of Nixon
May 7, 2007

Thou art not a crook!

I only have 15 Mbit, and that already costs over $40 a month, I've actually had to cut service from time to time.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
I pay $80 a month for 150 megs from Cox.

On a good night, it gets up to 185. It's fairly rad. They keep trying to get me to upgrade to 1 Gig service, but I think that's overkill.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Groovelord Neato posted:

you know gigabit should be the norm right. and at like half the price people pay for say 70 down.

I can stream 1080p, obviously it could and should be faster (especially because the prices are hosed) but if all you're doing is watching a video most infrastructures can support you doing that.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

PriorMarcus posted:

The villains are veterans pushed to an extreme by a lovely system and left mentally broken by war. The US government has been illegally detaining and abusing an allies agent for decades because he uncovered state secrets about a presidential assassination and the main weapon of the terrorist is a horrific nerve gas the US Army has been gleefully manufacturing and got stolen.

It's not exactly pro-government.

I love how the villain talks about honor and poo poo while he and his men are responsible for atrocities across the world. American black ops aren't exactly honorable.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord

Groovelord Neato posted:

Google is no longer rolling out fiber in new cities. Guess they either got bored of it or decided they had gotten enough goodwill out of it.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

Well Manicured Man posted:

The Rock strikes me as a movie that's pro-soldier but anti-military.

I feel like it's the equivalent of a "Support our troops, not our war" bumper sticker from the mid-2000s.

Yeah, there's a pretty important theme to the movie, I think, that the extended exposure to war and fighting compromised the bad guys ability to distinguish between right and wrong. The movie as a whole constantly puts the characters in these situations where the moral position is really unclear. But then you really have to question whether a big-budget summer action movie is an effective vehicle to get the point across, because almost all of the message is lost in the excitement of the explosions.

B-Rock452
Jan 6, 2005
:justflu:

Len posted:

Yeah what?

The fbi director mentions that he knows all the biggest secrets including the alien landing at roswell

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Improbable Lobster posted:

Google is no longer rolling out fiber in new cities. Guess they either got bored of it or decided they had gotten enough goodwill out of it.

It became prohibitively expensive. Telecom operators were doing everything in their power to block Google's ability to access utility poles, and states have been steadily blocking municipalities' ability to have their own broadband apparatus -- and franchise agreements have made it difficult for Google to get approval to lay fiber.

Widespread gigabit fiber won't happen in our lifetime. Running all new wiring to every house, in every neighborhood, in every city, just doesn't make sense. We've already wired the entire country twice (phone and cable), and it's time we make use of it: Un-bundle the local loop. Speed will go up, prices will go down and nonsense like data caps will disappear overnight.

Of course, that's likely to happen right around the time that a complete print of London After Midnight is found.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Simplex posted:

But then you really have to question whether a big-budget summer action movie is an effective vehicle to get the point across, because almost all of the message is lost in the excitement of the explosions.

Making political subject matter aesthetically compelling and cinematic is the most appropriate thing. You got a handle on the film's satire just fine, all that's left to do is speak truthfully and accurately about it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Timby posted:

It became prohibitively expensive. Telecom operators were doing everything in their power to block Google's ability to access utility poles, and states have been steadily blocking municipalities' ability to have their own broadband apparatus -- and franchise agreements have made it difficult for Google to get approval to lay fiber.

Widespread gigabit fiber won't happen in our lifetime. Running all new wiring to every house, in every neighborhood, in every city, just doesn't make sense. We've already wired the entire country twice (phone and cable), and it's time we make use of it: Un-bundle the local loop. Speed will go up, prices will go down and nonsense like data caps will disappear overnight.

Of course, that's likely to happen right around the time that a complete print of London After Midnight is found.
We are still reckoning with the Clinton's Telecommunications Act of 1996 and will be in another Ma Bell situation in 5 years at most.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

Buglord
Americans whining about telecom costs should have a look at the prices in Canada or most other countries.

Improbable Lobster fucked around with this message at 23:15 on Jan 28, 2017

• Locked thread