Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Can we have more of those yellow Jordan liveries from the late 90s? Those were badass

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djssniper
Jan 10, 2003

1500quidporsche posted:

I seriously can't wrap my mind around how he melted down that badly with that car against Irvine in a gimped Ferrari and Frentzen in a loving Jordan with a Mugen engine. Like its just amazing to watch.

He knew he hosed up, a bit like Senna at Monaco

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE
Let the record show that I always loved the 2004 Williams walrus nose, and it's a shame it wasn't very good

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Can we have more of those yellow Jordan liveries from the late 90s? Those were badass

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Jordan 192 is extremely attractive. Too bad it was so awful. Also it effectively ended both Modena's and Gugelmin's F1 careers (though the latter showed how good he was Stateside, while Modena faded into obscurity).

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Stefano Modena was probably one of the most overrhyped drivers of all time.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsaedje posted:

Let the record show that I always loved the 2004 Williams walrus nose, and it's a shame it wasn't very good

'Twas cool. Also in terms of raw speed it was the fastest car, no?

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

learnincurve posted:

List of noses that should return:

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Watch formula E. Two noses prominently featured.

Tsaedje
May 11, 2007

BRAWNY BUTTONS 4 LYFE

Human Grand Prix posted:

'Twas cool. Also in terms of raw speed it was the fastest car, no?

And this season Manor often topped the speed traps. Raw speed means poo poo all

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Tsaedje posted:

And this season Manor often topped the speed traps. Raw speed means poo poo all

Mostly because they ran less downforce than everyone else.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Hey now, Manor were beating Sauber right up to the end of the season and were only 7 points behind Renault.

BTW Well done that person who correctly predicted that Nasr would score the points for sauber that killed his only chance of a 2017 race seat.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Human Grand Prix posted:

Stefano Modena was probably one of the most overrhyped drivers of all time.

I could be remembering this wrong but I vaguely recall somebody was trying to act like he could've been the next Senna if things had played out differently which is just loving laughable, the man was clearly terrible.

Halo14
Sep 11, 2001
2 less blue flags for Seb :(

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
So now he'll know what we're doing here? Honestly?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Seb's slow spiral into misery and despair as Verstappen works his way towards his first WDC is going to be magnificent.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Manor are good lads. They have released a picture of what their car would have looked like if they had any money to make it.

http://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/manor-staff-reveal-2017-f1-car-design-869108/

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000
https://twitter.com/bobvarsha/status/825117837429788677

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

learnincurve posted:

Seb's slow spiral into misery and despair as Verstappen works his way towards his first WDC is going to be magnificent.

As will the thread's

gret
Dec 12, 2005

goggle-eyed freak

gently caress Bernie.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Verstappen loving sucks!

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Maybe next year cars should only be allowed to have 3 wheels, and teams will have to choose between 1 rear wheel making putting power down an issue or 1 front wheel making stability an issue.

It would be reliant robins vs morgan 3 wheeler, only F1 cars.

Human Grand Prix
Jan 24, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

1500quidporsche posted:

I could be remembering this wrong but I vaguely recall somebody was trying to act like he could've been the next Senna if things had played out differently which is just loving laughable, the man was clearly terrible.

The hype was nuts, so I don't doubt it. I think winning F3000 at his first attempt raised his stock greatly. Driving for Eurobrun probably did him no favours but his performances for Brabham and especially Tyrrell were relatively poor.

Some drivers redeem themselves in other series, but he also did terribly in touring cars. I think he ended his career as a test driver.

Human Grand Prix fucked around with this message at 09:07 on Jan 28, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

gret posted:

gently caress Bernie.

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!

Is this news to anyone, in the world, at all?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

MattD1zzl3 posted:

The fact that they know how to develop healthy teams is new to me. They know how to sustain a few healthy teams at the top (give them all the money), but develop them? Nah.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Sounds like more Bernie trolling to me

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Oh it was easy enough to get those three new teams in http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/76069 back in 2010, the glaring flaw in the plan was that Bernie/CVC were not prepared to either give the money or change the payment structure to keep them in.

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

Kind of, because loving over the teams is a great way to maximize short-term profits at the expense of long-term success. It's only a good way to make money if you're, idk, someone who's perpetually about to die.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

wicka posted:

Kind of, because loving over the teams is a great way to maximize short-term profits at the expense of long-term success. It's only a good way to make money if you're, idk, someone who's perpetually about to die.

You do understand how investment firms work right?

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
The question becomes why and how did Bernie, the sports promoter, end up in the position of being able to sell F1 to investement companies when it was clearly not in the best interest of the sport?

One of the papers summed it up as "Formula 1 is a success in spite of Bernie, not because of him"

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Bernie is being framed. I'm sure of it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

now that's what I'm talking about

wicka
Jun 28, 2007

1500quidporsche posted:

You do understand how investment firms work right?

No.

HJB
Feb 16, 2011

:swoon: I can't get enough of are Dan :swoon:
A compilation of alternate Jordan "sponsors" I found

I remember the top two, was reminded of BE ON EDGE when I saw this, but can't say I recall Bitten Heroes.

F1DriverQuidenBerg
Jan 19, 2014

Imagine a vampire, but he also gives you a high interest loan to pay for his "consulting fees" while he's still sucking the blood from you.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

HJB posted:

A compilation of alternate Jordan "sponsors" I found

I remember the top two, was reminded of BE ON EDGE when I saw this, but can't say I recall Bitten Heroes.

They also changed the rear wing livery to read FISSSSSY and SSSSSCHUEY on tracks were they couldn't show tobacco advertising iirc

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Dull fact: the snake on the nose is called "Sid the snake"

MattD1zzl3
Oct 26, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 4 years!
Virgin really missed an opperunity to have a scantily clad girl "nose art" on their cars like the airliners and spaceships they make.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
All cars should have nose art tbh, it's force india's one chance to be awesome and they've blown it.

E: See also; Red Bull's non-existent sponsorship deal with Jägermeister.

• Locked thread