Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Neon Belly posted:

What was with the censoring in the last episode?

speculation was that Will said it was too bad that they didn't get to gently caress any children... given that they infiltrated the noted pedo-lair Comet Pizza. too spicy a take for air.

https://twitter.com/chrisjfritz/status/824539618640957440

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

exmarx posted:

The idea that there are people who dress up as troops to try win respect, and other people who get insanely mad at them for doing it, is really funny to me

I'm sure there have been people who have done genuine lovely things by pretending to be soldiers and all but I'll never not think the guy who runs around shouting "WHO WAS YOUR COMMANDING OFFICER" at some other dude because he thinks that motherfucker is stealing a coffee discount or whatever is the sadder person.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCA6gvV9x9g&t=168s

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Tatum Girlparts posted:

I'm sure there have been people who have done genuine lovely things by pretending to be soldiers and all but I'll never not think the guy who runs around shouting "WHO WAS YOUR COMMANDING OFFICER" at some other dude because he thinks that motherfucker is stealing a coffee discount or whatever is the sadder person.

When I worked retail ages ago I had someone had the balls to try to use a fake military ID to hustle a discount. Thin, bended paper. Poor quality. Yeah, there are dbags out there.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

I wonder if German WW2 vets ever confront neo nazis for stealing valor.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

We had a real life military guy try to use his foreign service tax exempt status after his service was ended.

Like it's cool that you want to sacrifice your life in Afghanistan or whatever, but paying sales tax is apparently to much.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

https://twitter.com/alexnpress/status/802050335879663616

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

incoherent posted:

When I worked retail ages ago I had someone had the balls to try to use a fake military ID to hustle a discount. Thin, bended paper. Poor quality. Yeah, there are dbags out there.

there are indeed dbags out there... such as actual members of the US armed forces!!!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Does anybody else have a problem loading Chapo, and only Chapo, on Stitcher? I'm not proposing a vast right-wing conspiracy on the part of the app I use to stream The History of Rome, but I am.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

uber_stoat posted:

speculation was that Will said it was too bad that they didn't get to gently caress any children... given that they infiltrated the noted pedo-lair Comet Pizza. too spicy a take for air.

that's dumb

hot takes are why I listen to chapo and ctown almost exclusively now, making fun of pedophiles and 9/11 first responders owns

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

I want them to do a whole 'cast in character as Capone's Speakeasy radio broadcast.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

I want them to do a whole 'cast in character as Capone's Speakeasy radio broadcast.

yea the only way this could get better is if next premium ep is just a full Capone's Speakeasy episode

incoherent
Apr 24, 2004

Bryter posted:

there are indeed dbags out there... such as actual members of the US armed forces!!!

We're going to blow the lid off this military discount industrial complex

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

My stint in the Air Force was a long con to spend one day a year gorging myself at all the casual dining chain resuraunts in town.

I put my DD214 in a document protector and wear it around my neck like a bib.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

that's dumb

hot takes are why I listen to chapo and ctown almost exclusively now, making fun of pedophiles and 9/11 first responders owns

I am surprised they didn't make the result of Podesta something that would be a true Lovecraftian horror, Barack Obama.

Slanderer
May 6, 2007
https://twitter.com/chrisjfritz/status/824539618640957440

this owns

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I wonder if there is any federal law that has been violated fewer times than the Stolen Valor Act.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
roll up your sleeves kids it's

time

for

some

game

theory

https://twitter.com/i/moments/825065526149992454

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
drain the swamp.

https://twitter.com/MowtenDoo/status/824825736737415169

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Okay with TPP that makes TWO things he's been right on.

Sushi in Yiddish
Feb 2, 2008

Trump's knocking out a number of horrifying executive orders he promised in his campaign in his first week but doest have the decency to lock Hillary up too? Smdh.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Are there any other especially good podcasts for those going through major trump panic?

Dispersal
Nov 5, 2005

Snowy posted:

Are there any other especially good podcasts for those going through major trump panic?

The District Sentinel/Unanimous Dissent podcast is very good. I like By Any Means Necessary with Eugene Puryear as well. Street Fight Radio is another option.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Speaking of recommendations, is there a "best of Chapo" list, maybe episodes that stand out?

Kunster
Dec 24, 2006

Dispersal posted:

The District Sentinel/Unanimous Dissent podcast is very good. I like By Any Means Necessary with Eugene Puryear as well. Street Fight Radio is another option.

Friend of the show ArmyStrang has created a lefty military podcast as well that address that stuff as well.

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

Ah man he didn't call it "Stolen Valor" or "Full Spectrum Warrior"

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mike12345 posted:

Speaking of recommendations, is there a "best of Chapo" list, maybe episodes that stand out?

Depends, are you just starting to listen? There are a few different recurring format/segments:

Standard politics / current events discussion and interviews
Movie reviews
Chapo Reading Series where they roast terrible pundits

The Ross Douthat (eps 3 and 30) and Caleb (49 and 64, both premium) reading series are some of the best and most popular bits. The post-election episode (58) is also one of my faves, as is the James Adomian (Bernie, Jesse Ventura, Slavoj Zizek impersonations) episode (46).

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
I second the post episode election. Lots of talk about what went wrong for the democrats and where they should go next.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Pellisworth posted:

Depends, are you just starting to listen? There are a few different recurring format/segments:

Standard politics / current events discussion and interviews
Movie reviews
Chapo Reading Series where they roast terrible pundits

The Ross Douthat (eps 3 and 30) and Caleb (49 and 64, both premium) reading series are some of the best and most popular bits. The post-election episode (58) is also one of my faves, as is the James Adomian (Bernie, Jesse Ventura, Slavoj Zizek impersonations) episode (46).

Add Ben Shapiro's True Allegiance (premium episode 57, free episode 68, and free episode 71) to the list of truly great readings. Premium episode 39, Dance for Temujin, is probably my favourite movie episode. Episode 65 - the Adam Curtis episode - is their most-listened-to episode on Soundcloud. It's definitely on any "best of" list. Finally, episodes 26 and 27 covered the conventions and are some of the most relevant pre-election election-related material Chapo has done.

(Chapo's only truly bad episode was the Wardell riff session.)

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Yeah, agree, those are all great.

If by "best episodes" you include ones that are more informative than funny, there are a number of good interviews in addition to Adam Curtis. Eps 21 (Mexican teachers' strike), 10, 24, and one more somewhere I think (Derek Davison on foreign policy and the Middle East), 38 (women and labor rights in developing countries), 35 and 47 (life as a troop). There are more good ones but that's off the top of my head.

Bulkiest Toaster
Jan 22, 2013

by R. Guyovich
Worst episode is the one where felix rambles about les mes for 30 minutes. Had to turn that one off.

mike12345
Jul 14, 2008

"Whether the Earth was created in 7 days, or 7 actual eras, I'm not sure we'll ever be able to answer that. It's one of the great mysteries."

Pellisworth posted:

Yeah, agree, those are all great.

If by "best episodes" you include ones that are more informative than funny, there are a number of good interviews in addition to Adam Curtis. Eps 21 (Mexican teachers' strike), 10, 24, and one more somewhere I think (Derek Davison on foreign policy and the Middle East), 38 (women and labor rights in developing countries), 35 and 47 (life as a troop). There are more good ones but that's off the top of my head.

Yeah, I just listened to the Adam Curtis one, and one with Ben Shapiro's book. The Adam Curtis interview almost does a better job of explaining his ideas than "Hypernormality" does. Pretty good. I'm really interested in the pre-election stuff, and if there's any prescience or panic, so that'll be next.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

The one where the cat takes a stinky dump.

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

Worst episode is the one where felix rambles about les mes for 30 minutes. Had to turn that one off.

That one owns actually

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005

mike12345 posted:

Yeah, I just listened to the Adam Curtis one, and one with Ben Shapiro's book. The Adam Curtis interview almost does a better job of explaining his ideas than "Hypernormality" does. Pretty good. I'm really interested in the pre-election stuff, and if there's any prescience or panic, so that'll be next.

check out the episodes on the conventions next, then

there is a little prescience when they talk about how terrible the DNC was but if you watch the election night video (do this eventually after you catch up on some of the Chapo in-jokes) it's pretty clear they all expected Hillary to win, but then so did most of us

edit: like, the Chapo boys trash Hillary and her campaign as being garbage and incompetent throughout but they expected her to still win the election

Pac-Manioc Root posted:

The one where the cat takes a stinky dump.

and/or barfs, Ernest is a hero

Pellisworth fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 28, 2017

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Bulkiest Toaster posted:

You pick the parking lot, I pick the weapons.

mike12345 posted:

You definitely want the convention episodes, then.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
is there a list of episodes the cat fucks up?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Pellisworth posted:

Just listened to episode 46 earlier today -- it's startling when Adomian does his Jesse Ventura, the impression is so good. And the stuff he says as Jesse is on point.

A couple episodes that I thought were both funny and educational were 39, where they talk about "The Conqueror", and 47, where they talk to ArmyStrang about "American Sniper".

Any episode with Libby Watson is great, as is any episode with Sam Kriss. (I might just be a sucker for British people.) Also, if you love the movie "Ghostbusters", listen to episode 25 and fall in love with Amber. :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Snowy posted:

The usual. Joe rogan. Cum town.