Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

The pettiness is the actual charge part.

Is there a transcript of it? Court was still going, right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

hobbesmaster posted:

The pettiness is the actual charge part.

Is there a transcript of it? Court was still going, right?
That is what I mean. I don't know if they got it on the record -- when a bunch of people are talking over each other court reporters don't get it all down.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Baloogan posted:

they tazed a lawyer in a courtroom for winning thats straight up police state cruel and usual punishment and torture

And all within minutes of reading the verdict :allears:

Lmao, Mumford getting all excited and then BAM MOTHERFUCKER! As if he were zapped by a scorned Emperor Obamatine himself.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Malheur Occupation Supporter Arrested With Machine Gun Pleads Guilty

quote:

Assistant U.S. Attorney Nathan Lichvarcik said he and defense attorney Lynn Shepard jointly will recommend a 2½-year prison sentence for Emry, who told federal agents after his arrest that he had moved from Idaho to Oregon in late December 2015 in a van loaned to him by refuge occupation leader Ammon Bundy, according to court records.

Emry described himself as an “embedded reporter” during the refuge takeover but was not among the defendants indicted for their roles in the occupation. Bundy and six others were acquitted of conspiracy charges after a trial in October.

Prosecutors state in court documents that Emry reportedly told an unnamed “cooperating witness” that he wanted to take the machine gun onto the refuge during the 41-day occupation but couldn’t because of law enforcement’s presence in the area. That witness, however, has been dishonest in the past, prosecutors said.

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Travel trailer mounted machine gun would be an awesome redneck tank. A shame the 'Picasso of machine guns' had to get himself caught'.

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

I would blow Dane Cook posted:

Travel trailer mounted machine gun would be an awesome redneck tank. A shame the 'Picasso of machine guns' had to get himself caught'.
"Getting caught was part of his plan!" </2000s movie twist>

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

This is an example of the gun he was caught with (that he stole).

Mavric
Dec 14, 2006

I said "this is going to be the most significant televisual event since Quantum Leap." And I do not say that lightly.
For duck hunt'in.

ScrubLeague
Feb 11, 2007

Nap Ghost
Personal protection from the (((tyrannical government)))

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

quote:

RJ asks appeals court to overturn order sealing documents in Bundy case

Describing the government’s case against Bunkerville cattle rancher Cliven Bundy as one of “extreme public importance,” the Las Vegas Review-Journal and other media outlets Friday asked a federal appeals court to overturn a sweeping ruling that blocks public access to nearly all of the evidence gathered in the lengthy investigation.

Lawyers for the Review-Journal, the Associated Press and Battle Born Media filed the request with the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco after a U.S. District Court ruling last month upheld a broad seal of documents that are ordinarily part of the public record.

“The concerns of the media are that they’re effectively locked out of a lot of the case,” Review-Journal attorney Maggie McLetchie said. “The protective order in the case is so broad that it cloaks almost everything the government does or hands over in discovery with secrecy.”

Bundy, four of his sons and 14 supporters were indicted in March in connection with an armed standoff that occurred after the Bureau of Land Management tried to round up hundreds of the rancher’s cattle following a decades-long dispute over grazing fees.

Within months of bringing charges, federal prosecutors, citing witness safety concerns, asked the court for a protective order that would automatically seal virtually all evidence produced during the pretrial portion of the case.

“The public’s right to inspect certain criminal court records is protected by the First Amendment,” media lawyers wrote in the new filing.

They acknowledged that there were, in some cases, legitimate reasons to block access to sensitive documents. But, they argued, “a court cannot rely on stale evidence and speculation about possible threats or intimidation to limit access to virtually all discovery in a criminal case.”

The media’s fight over access is not the first time First Amendment issues have come up in the case, and it is unlikely to be the last. Some of the defendants, who likewise oppose the far-reaching seal, have signaled that their defense strategy may include a freedom of assembly component.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/news/bundy-blm/rj-asks-appeals-court-overturn-order-sealing-documents-bundy-case

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008

Occupier Brandon Curtiss with his new favourite toy.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Some more dumbass news:

https://twitter.com/maxoregonian/status/823977235212185600

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

hahaha

Krinkle
Feb 9, 2003

Ah do believe Ah've got the vapors...
Ah mean the farts

what the gently caress is synthetic pot

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Krinkle posted:

what the gently caress is synthetic pot
Marijuana contains a variety of cannabinoids, notably THC and CBD. There are hundreds of synthetic cannabinoids that hit the same receptors. Manufacturers spray the synthetic cannabinoids on smokable plant matter and sell it in head shops and gas stations. If you smoke them, you get high. There is a constant cat-and-mouse game as the chemicals are banned and new ones released.

edit: Some can be tested for in urine tests, others cannot.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
In Blow To Prosecutors, Judge Rules Jury Won't Hear Lesser Charges In 2nd Malheur Trial

I'm not sure I agree with this interpretation of the decision- it appears more likely that the misdemeanor charges, presented before a judge, will be inoculated against the "jury nullification" BS of the first trial.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.
https://www.congress.gov/bill/115th-congress/house-bill/621

The Great American Sell-Off is about to begin: Making America Great through Liquidation!

Knight
Dec 23, 2000

SPACE-A-HOLIC
Taco Defender

OAquinas posted:

The Great American Sell-Off is about to begin: Making America Great through Liquidation!
It will all go back to the people, right? Good old country folk and ranchers, finally getting the land returned to them.

Oops bought up by conglomerates for strip mining and waste disposal

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."
They know no one wants these lands right? They cost more to maintain (taxes, keeping assholes off it) than they're worth. Lots of it you can't give away for free.
The bundys' didn't want the land, they wanted to use it for free. Like welfare for rednecks.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

OAquinas posted:

Trump is unlikely to go for that.

quote:

AL: I’d like to talk about public land. Seventy percent of hunters in the West hunt on public lands managed by the federal government. Right now, there’s a lot of discussion about the federal government transferring those lands to states and the divesting of that land. Is that something you would support as President?

DT: I don’t like the idea because I want to keep the lands great, and you don’t know what the state is going to do. I mean, are they going to sell if they get into a little bit of trouble? And I don’t think it’s something that should be sold. We have to be great stewards of this land. This is magnificent land. And we have to be great stewards of this land. And the hunters do such a great job—I mean, the hunters and the fishermen and all of the different people that use that land. So I’ve been hearing more and more about that. And it’s just like the erosion of the Second Amendment. I mean, every day you hear Hillary Clinton wants to essentially wipe out the Second Amendment. We have to protect the Second Amendment, and we have to protect our lands.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

Trump also wanted to try and pay for the wall by a trade tariff and has a penchant for terrible real estate deals. I'd be wary of assigning odds until he actually vetoes something from congress.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Trump also said there would be no touching social security and medicare, and that no one would lose their insurance. None of these claims seem likely.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009

hangedman1984 posted:

Trump also said there would be no touching social security and medicare, and that no one would lose their insurance. None of these claims seem likely.

OAquinas posted:

Trump also wanted to try and pay for the wall by a trade tariff and has a penchant for terrible real estate deals. I'd be wary of assigning odds until he actually vetoes something from congress.
It's rather different from paying for the wall by tariff because it's just Trump not doing something. It's also something that someone close to him - his son - feels strongly about. Trump is extremely impressionable.

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
Pretty much the fate of national parks and federal lands will be heavily affected by Patrick Bateman Trump's influence on his dad for the next 4-8 years. Though he's a safari loving kind of rich rear end in a top hat IIRC, so anything that'd look good as a trophy and currently has federal protection is probably at high risk.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Gobbeldygook posted:

It's rather different from paying for the wall by tariff because it's just Trump not doing something. It's also something that someone close to him - his son - feels strongly about. Trump is extremely impressionable.

trump cares about 1 child only

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Bannon has Trump's ear and Trump owes McConnell and Ryan exactly jack loving poo poo so I still think the medicare, social security stuff is off the table for a while.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
Trump is a habitual liar who enjoys making people wonder what he's thinking, loves to pit his underlings against each other, and has absolutely no problem with saying one thing and doing another

the only certain thing about the next four years is that they're going to be awful. anyone who thinks they can make specific predictions based on things he said or people he associates with are dumb

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost

Main Paineframe posted:

Trump is a habitual liar who enjoys making people wonder what he's thinking, loves to pit his underlings against each other, and has absolutely no problem with saying one thing and doing another

the only certain thing about the next four years is that they're going to be awful. anyone who thinks they can make specific predictions based on things he said or people he associates with are dumb

Not an emptyquote

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Main Paineframe posted:

He's pretty Hitler-esque in this sense.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

FBI agent testifies about arrest of Oregon standoff defendant Darryl Thorn at Redmond Super 8 Motel

quote:

Oregon standoff defendant Darryl Thorn, arrested by a team of FBI SWAT officers in the breakfast bar of a Redmond Super 8 Motel, claimed the agents used excessive force by slapping the coffee cup out of his hand and taking him to the ground.

Thorn also wanted a judge to suppress statements he made to agents on the drive to their Bend office.

During the ride, Thorn said he could have fought off the agents with his training from Russian special forces if he hadn't been outnumbered, FBI agents noted in their reports.

LaVoy Finicum's Widow Plans To Sue Law Enforcement

quote:

The widow of LaVoy Finicum will soon file a suit against state and federal law enforcement over the death of her husband last year.

Finicum was killed during a traffic stop in which authorities arrested leaders of the occupation of the Malheur National Wildlife Refuge.

Brian Claypool, the lawyer representing Jeanette Finicum, said the police didn’t have probable cause to stop the occupiers in the first place.

“None of them had committed any type of serious crime,” Claypool said. “They hadn’t robbed a bank. They hadn’t carjacked anybody. They hadn’t murdered anybody.”

Hundreds Expected At Meeting In Oregon 1 Year After LaVoy Finicum's Death

quote:

Hundreds of people are expected in John Day Saturday for an event organized by the widow of LaVoy Finicum.

Jeanette Finicum says she organized the event independent of the families of Ammon and Ryan Bundy, who led last year’s occupation.

“This isn’t a Bundy event,” she said. “This is an event that our family — the Finicum family — wanted to put on because we wanted to further the education of property rights and to discuss the constitution and learn more about state sovereignty.”

Members of the Bundy family will still attend, and many of their supporters will speak at the event.

The event is titled “The Meeting With LaVoy Finicum That Never Happened In Oregon.” Finicum, the Bundys and several others were on their way to speak at a public meeting in John Day a year ago when Finicum was shot and the others were arrested.

Here's the event site. They're charging admission. The speakers list appears to be a collection of sovcit gurus, but I don't have time atm to look into them.

Discendo Vox has issued a correction as of 21:41 on Jan 28, 2017

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

quote:

Thorn was placed against a wall and claimed his arrest was illegal and that the FBI "only had jurisdiction within ten square miles of Washington, D.C,'' according to FBI agent Daniel Baringer's report.

During the approximately 15-minute ride in a six-passenger van to the FBI Bend office, Thorn told agents there are thousands of members of his movement who are educated to rise up and replace each other, according to the agents' reports.

"You guys are going to have your hands full,'' the FBI reports quoted Thorn saying.

Thorn made some remark about "an eye for any eye'' and claimed the agents "took one of ours.'' Thorn said he was trained by a member of the Russian Spetsnaz and could have fought them off if it hadn't been six against one, the FBI said.

this is just precious

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

quote:

only had jurisdiction within ten square miles of Washington, D.C

How does that math even work.

Does that mean they have jurisdiction on a 1/100th mile-thick strip leading away from D.C. for 1000 miles?

Evil Fluffy
Jul 13, 2009

Scholars are some of the most pompous and pedantic people I've ever had the joy of meeting.
I like that that guy shot off his mouth about being some sort of badass trained killer and thinks it shouldn't be allowed to be presented in court.

Kinda hosed up that these people are probably going to walk because our country's hosed beyond belief. Also looking forward to Trump and/or members of his administration making statements of support for Tarpman's family on the 1 year anniversary of his suicide by cop.

Discendo Vox posted:

Here's the event site. They're charging admission. The speakers list appears to be a collection of sovcit gurus, but I don't have time atm to look into them.

Gonna be so many undercover feds at that.

hangedman1984
Jul 25, 2012

Discendo Vox posted:

quote:

claimed the agents used excessive force by slapping the coffee cup out of his hand

If only black people could have excessive force so nice.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

TotalLossBrain posted:

Does that mean they have jurisdiction on a 1/100th mile-thick strip leading away from D.C. for 1000 miles?

You might as well be asking a meth addict to explain their rationale for doing or not doing things.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

Yeah, it's sovcit gurus. Someone with a twitter account make sure Thread Heroine JJ MacNab knows about the event.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Main Paineframe posted:

this is just precious

Russian training?

False flag!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TotalLossBrain posted:

The Federal District was originally in the shape of a square, ten miles on each side, but that would make it one hundred square miles, so they’re just dumb.

Also, Virginia got their bit back, so it’s only like two‐thirds of the original size and decidedly not square now.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

There's coverage in the Oregonian of the event, but it's so loving bad I don't even want to link it. They're acting like the speakers are neutral sources, including restating/quoting the claims of one of them at length, without mentioning that he's one of the defense attorneys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

Discendo Vox posted:

stay safe tarp ghost