Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MisterBibs
Jul 17, 2010

dolla dolla
bill y'all
Fun Shoe

Willfrey posted:

I started out this way, but became bored after a while when things became routine. But if it does get monotonous you can change your storyteller and difficulty on the fly in the options menu

Sweet, you just sold me on the game with that last bit. One thing about games in this genre (or adjacent to this genre) that doesn't happen enough is letting me decide when I want Chill Funess and Enemies Everywhere on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

You have to follow the beat!

zedprime posted:

If you want everybody assigned to soldier, remove personal shield from soldier and force wear personal shields on melee grunts. Or remove personal shield from soldier, and make a new assignment called "brawler" or something.

Clothes assignments are amazing for micromanaging without micromanaging.

I totally forgot about that feature.

Update:

Seems fire has no trouble leaping a block of stone floor to burn the cable and then leap again to the other side.

Wandering Orange
Sep 8, 2012

Along with changing the storyteller whenever you want, developer mode is still a toggle option in the menu. So if you get a random raid (or three) and want everyone to gently caress off, you can enable dev mode make them all flee. It's your game, play it however you want.

Zhentar
Sep 28, 2003

Brilliant Master Genius

yoloer420 posted:

Is there a trick to prevent colonists from becoming bonded with meat?

Don't assign them masters. Animals can only bond when taming, when healing, or interacting with their master. Don't confuse the naming after nuzzling for bonding; it just gives the pawns a short mood boost and doesn't matter otherwise.

LonsomeSon posted:

Yeah, draw up an Animal Area of everything you don't want them to have access to, invert it, and then designate a low-priority roofed stockpile outside of the freezer entrance. My understanding is that animals will still be able to haul crops in from the fields, while your colonists will ignore that stockpile except to move poo poo from there to the higher-priority stockpiles.

There's a bug that can prevent them from hauling sometimes with that setup. There's a fix for it in my fixes mod.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
Miniguns fall off centipedes a lot so I just steal them and take down my problems with a combination of mortars and a hail of poorly-aimed bullets.

Gadzuko
Feb 14, 2005
I wish there was a way to manage guns the same way outfits are handled. Unless that already exists and I'm just missing it. Combining that with a toggle to prevent the forbidding of dropped weapons would remove a lot of busywork.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

With all this streamlined micromanagement it baffles me that I can't copy paste bill settings from one crafting table to another. Or just select 5 and set bills for all 5.

Slime
Jan 3, 2007

Gadzuko posted:

I wish there was a way to manage guns the same way outfits are handled. Unless that already exists and I'm just missing it. Combining that with a toggle to prevent the forbidding of dropped weapons would remove a lot of busywork.

Honestly I wish weapons just stayed equipped. It's a goddamn pain in the rear end to give someone their weapon back if they get hurt.

Walton Simons
May 16, 2010

ELECTRONIC OLD MEN RUNNING THE WORLD
I am having the worst raid. Four centipedes and a scyther. Scyther races to the front, sets up shop just outside turret range and starts plinking away. This is where my 20+ mortar setup obliterates him in seconds. Except it hasn't. About 60 shells have been thrown at him and not one has hit. Not one. The area around him is utterly levelled, but he's a-OK :shepface:

All I can think of is this: :nws: I guess

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x9yOVjZsiOM&t=155s

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

It looks like Psychology just received a very big update: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=24648.0

Here's a picture from the Steam Workshop page:

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Dejawesp posted:

Seems fire has no trouble leaping a block of stone floor to burn the cable and then leap again to the other side.

I think the tool tip says a fire break needs to be 4 wide, as a fire can jump up to 3.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

BitBasher posted:

I think the tool tip says a fire break needs to be 4 wide, as a fire can jump up to 3.

Seems it could jump 1 but not 2 for me (cable on the road is not catching fire)

Meanwhile I just had a raid of 30 something raider tribals. Two volleys of 20 shells and my stockpile now has loincloths and spears out the rear end. I also caught three of them alive but of course two of them died seconds after being put in prison so I got the penalty for both.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jan 29, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Cup Runneth Over posted:

It looks like Psychology just received a very big update: https://ludeon.com/forums/index.php?topic=24648.0

quote:

Depending on their personality, colonists may be more likely to have multiple "flings" rather than a single lover, and how they treat breakups is affected accordingly.

I hope I don't have to assign beds for all these flings.

I like the idea of sexuality being character inherent as opposed to some specific modifier. If I want to make an army of lesbian amazons then I should be able to do it without sacrificing a bonus trait.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Dejawesp posted:

If I want to make an army of lesbian amazons then I should be able to do it without sacrificing a bonus trait.

rimworld.txt

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Every time I hear about this mod it sounds more and more like the Rimworld equivalent of that Skyrim "combat overhaul" that turned out to actually have a few very simple scripts doing barely anything. Does this mod actually affect the way the pawns behave? Or is it just a million obfuscations where the end result is just some mood bumps?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Mzbundifund posted:

Every time I hear about this mod it sounds more and more like the Rimworld equivalent of that Skyrim "combat overhaul" that turned out to actually have a few very simple scripts doing barely anything. Does this mod actually affect the way the pawns behave? Or is it just a million obfuscations where the end result is just some mood bumps?

Why don't you look at the source yourself and find out? Maybe it's just good enough to be true.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Dejawesp posted:

I was about to ask about that when I saw the cable laying on the floor. Triple wide it is then.

Raiders typically won't attack walls, unless they're sappers, so placing your wires inside of walls might be the safest thing of all (if you can afford the materials)

As far as fires go, I think you need to have 3-4 tiles width to effectively prevent the spread. If you know that a fire is coming in time, you can also use the clear foliage order to clear out the area of anything flammable before it catches.

Volmarias fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Jan 29, 2017

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Toxic fallout, starvation, ate the wounded again, infestation, many died. I need to stock more food.

And you know. After the famine, and after the infestation. Everyone was still alive though most people were wounded. It was afterwards that people died. No less than 13 berserks in less than 12 in game hours. People wiping out a machine gun in a hospital room. I set guards to subdue them but a third party shows up with an assault rifle and shoots him dead instead.

But you know who never dies? Dough the retarded bear.

Several in game years ago she was locked out during toxic fallout and got so contaminated that she developed dementia and she spends large parts of the day wandering confused. She takes part in most fights and is constantly incapacitated for getting in front of the guns. I stopped caring about the bear an in game decade ago but she just won't die.

Volmarias posted:

Raiders typically won't attack walls, unless they're sappers, so placing your wires inside of walls might be the safest thing of all (if you can afford the materials)

As far as fires go, I think you need to have 3-4 tiles width to effectively prevent the spread. If you know that a fire is coming in time, you can also use the clear foliage order to clear out the area of anything flammable before it catches.

Raiders will randomly meander around and attacks walls that I used as filler just to make a mountain flat on the side. Even when that wall is nowhere near the base.

I can have a wall that is 2 layers thick at the gate and then 6 layers thick at the side with mixed granite and natural rock and they will punch those wall segments and ignore the thinner walls or the gates.

Dejawesp fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Jan 29, 2017

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Any tips on avoiding prison breaks? I have 3 jail cells that are just normal bedrooms with 2 single beds each. There was a jail break and all 6 prisoners got out at the same time and all 6 were quickly shot down or mauled by dogs.

I really wish there was more of a recruitment system in the game. Make your town very nice and it attracts people.

Dejawesp
Jan 8, 2017

Baronjutter posted:

Any tips on avoiding prison breaks? I have 3 jail cells that are just normal bedrooms with 2 single beds each. There was a jail break and all 6 prisoners got out at the same time and all 6 were quickly shot down or mauled by dogs.

I really wish there was more of a recruitment system in the game. Make your town very nice and it attracts people.

Keep your prisoners happy, separate them into fewer people per room. (mostly just keep them happy)

Larger rooms with light, heat, decoration and a floor helps. Them being happy also makes them easier to recruit. I used to have 10 prisoners at the same time. Now I barely reach 3 because they are so quick to recruit. Also set wardens with a high social skill.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Baronjutter posted:

The Hospitality mod is sort of like that!

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Dejawesp posted:

Keep your prisoners happy, separate them into fewer people per room. (mostly just keep them happy)

Larger rooms with light, heat, decoration and a floor helps. Them being happy also makes them easier to recruit. I used to have 10 prisoners at the same time. Now I barely reach 3 because they are so quick to recruit. Also set wardens with a high social skill.

Their jail break happened the night of their capture, when they were still all fussy and angry about being horribly wounded. The moment they could all walk, they jail breaked :(

TipsyMcStagger
Apr 13, 2013

This isn't where
I parked my car...
Intense Randy is an rear end in a top hat, drops a psychic ship near the start with only three colonists, then proceeds to give two guys malaria and while both are down and barely surviving it's manhunt pack of boars. That's what I get for refusing those two 70+ year old chasing prompts

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

I've been feeling like Randy Rough is a bit dull, but Intense felt like too big a step up last time I tried it. Raids every single day after the first, two sieges in the first year, etc.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Almost every animal I have, from self tamed squirrels to dogs all have alcohol tolerance extreme and they're drunk all the time. They all leave their designated areas to binge drink. Is this... normal?

LonsomeSon
Nov 22, 2009

A fishperson in an intimidating hat!

zedprime posted:

Clothes assignments are amazing for micromanaging without micromanaging.

I believe the word you might be looking for is "managing"!

Gadzuko posted:

Two things: first, a management tool for weapon assignments would be loving fantastic. Second, the Allow Tool mod is pretty good for taking care of poo poo like making sure someone goes out to pick up dropped poo poo so it doesn't corrode or whatever.

e:

Baronjutter posted:

Almost every animal I have, from self tamed squirrels to dogs all have alcohol tolerance extreme and they're drunk all the time. They all leave their designated areas to binge drink. Is this... normal?

My understanding is that all pawns (including animals) will ignore zone restrictions and Forbidden status if they're addicted to something (or they're on a binge break), so if you slipped up with your initial zoning they could just be falling off the wagon. Alternatively, you have beers in a general-use stockpile covered by the edge of your animal zone (this is almost always the case for me when I encounter this problem).

LonsomeSon fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Jan 29, 2017

Mr. Prokosch
Feb 14, 2012

Behold My Magnificence!

Baronjutter posted:

I don't know why animals love booze so much but my dogs will drink themselves to death if I let them. Booze gets a special stockpile and they are forbidden from going there, just like the hospital and kitchen. The restriction works for me.

HarmB
Jun 19, 2006

I'm getting the game to stutter at fast speed all of a sudden around day 80. Nothing in particular I can tell is causing it. I have an eclipse event active, but that's about it. It was running smooth until it seems to have been hit huge by something. It runs fine at normal speed though.

e: Opened devmode, turns out the new Psychology update was throwing several errors per second.

HarmB fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Jan 29, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I sent a caravan out to a nearby tribal settlement to wipe them out because I was sick of their raids, and after a short "fight", they bailed and it said the settlement was destroyed. So I claimed the buildings and started patching up, and then set to mining out the resources on the map. Like a day later, my settlers automatically reformed the caravan, without any of the poo poo I wanted to bring along, including food. Is there some way to make them like, not loving do that?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

No, any time you attack a settlement it will reform the caravan a day later. Those maps are meant to be temporary.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Well gently caress. So much for that 600 plasteel.

yoloer420
May 19, 2006

Baronjutter posted:

Any tips on avoiding prison breaks?

Until the surgery nerf I'd just remove legs. Fingers crossed for fixed surgery in next update.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

So I haven't made a caravan yet, what's the point really? Raiding other camps? If you destroy them do you get less raids from them? Can you set half your fort off to start a new fort to strip mine an area and come back? Can you be managing like 10 forts at once?

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Baronjutter posted:

So I haven't made a caravan yet, what's the point really? Raiding other camps? If you destroy them do you get less raids from them? Can you set half your fort off to start a new fort to strip mine an area and come back? Can you be managing like 10 forts at once?

I think eventually something like that might be the plan. Right now every map you have active is 100% active in memory including all items, pawns, NPCs, animals, plants etc. and it chokes the gently caress out of the engine something fierce.

VerdantSquire
Jul 1, 2014

Baronjutter posted:

One of the biggest things, at least imo, is the ability to send a caravan out to trade with other settlements. It helps to counter balance just how rare NPC caravans and orbital traders can be sometimes; there are a lot of important goods that you can never produce on map, and having those goods no longer be purely tied to however the storyteller is feeling helps a lot. A long term goal I usually set for myself if a colony is successful is to establish a trade outpost right next to an outlander settlement once transport pods are unlocked - permanent trader access is worth many times over the cost of making the outpost in the first place.

I haven't really made use of the ability to attack other camps really. I've never reached the point where I've felt well armed enough to take one on, and I don't think the potential gain in resources would be worth the near inevitable losses.

Edit: ^^^ Yeah a big drawback though is that if you want to establish more than one colony you need to have map size set to something reasonable. Every colony you make beyond your first will have a map the same size as the first one, so if it's set to one of the larger settings then you'll definitely start to have performance issues.

VerdantSquire fucked around with this message at 07:09 on Jan 29, 2017

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
I send out mining expeditions out regularly, can usually pull in a good 600-800 steel with 3 guys and a trio of muffalo.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
What's the best thing to produce and send to sell at the other cities? Marble statues?

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Teikanmi posted:

What's the best thing to produce and send to sell at the other cities? Marble statues?

Given weight concerns I would suggest probably drugs.

straw man
Jan 5, 2011

"You're a bigger liar than I am."
Riot Shields, my first mod. Like it says on the label, adds manufacturable riot shields which dramatically increase pawn survivability.

Wanting to use High Caliber's ballistic shield, which wasn't updated for A16, I disassembled the mod's A15 code and re-built it into a somewhat more robust, stand-alone pawn shield mod. it should work in Vanilla or Combat Realism.

Shields absorb all damage that would have gone through to the pawn. Block chance is a log function of the item's condition %, from 100% to block at 100% condition to 60% to block at 0% condition.

Make your pawns much more resilient at the cost of a small work and move speed penalty and inability to use rifles.

e: block chance function

straw man fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
What version is Combat Realism up to? I stopped playing around A15 waiting for mods to catch up and now A16 is about.