Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Zzulu posted:

Game needs a map that is 10x the size of the current 4v4 maps and then make it a 12vs12 map :getin:

They should also do

*mounted combat
*naval combat and boarding
*wizards

Yeah that's what I really want, huge Dynasty Warriors style maps. I'm actually fine with it being 4v4 with mooks, just have some larger maps. What would be really cool is a progression of like, you siege the outer ramparts, then you siege the main castle walls, then you fight inside the city up to the inner castle or throne room or something.

Mounted combat and naval combat is all super feature creep pipe dreams though. They should just focus on melee.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

explosivo posted:

I see people saying there are heroes not in the beta, is that so? Do we know how many are in the full game? This game is neat but echoing the "not $60 neat" sentiment. I might pick this up on GMG or something for cheaper.

The three missing are the Shugoki, Lawbringer, and Valkyrie.

Shugoki is the Samurai heavy. His deal is that he's got a passive super-armour, so he can absorb a single hit every few seconds without being interrupted. He has very powerful but slow attacks, so most of his gameplay was focused on baiting the enemy into attacks and then trading favourably. Pretty funny to play, but a tad one-note since you can't initiate at all.

Lawbringer is the Knight Hybrid, more specifically a Heavy/Vanguard hybrid. He's all about throwing the enemy around a lot, and punishing on Parries. He's got lots of health and powerful attacks, but is on the slow side with only middling range. Useful in group battles, but kind of poop in 1v1.

Valkyrie is the Viking Hybrid, combining Assassin and Heavy. She's got long range, good mobility, lots of knockback and knockdown, and has both the deflect defense of the assassins as well as the block stance of the heavies. Very fun and disgustingly OP.

So yeah, I suspect the main reason why these three in particular have been held back for the beta is because they're being adjusted and overhauled to fit in better with overall balance. There have also been rumours about even more characters to be added down the line, but I don't think there've been any official statements on that. :shrug:

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Finally found the thread for this game, got in the beta and it's a ton of fun but holy poo poo does it get me salty when I gently caress up because I accidantlly hit run and lose lockon or something, and trying to defend in the crowded dominion fights is a nightmare. Probably just comes down to practice, which I don't have enough of. So far I think I like the warlord the best, though I def want to give Valkyrie a try when it comes out. I just can't get the hang of the 'deflect' dodging with the assassins.

TwatHammer
Sep 29, 2014

If anyone is down to stab mans add me on the monstrosity that is Uplay, I go as VattHammer, go figure.

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm
Whoa where did this thread come from O_O

Rap Music looking at your post history, are you back from your hiatus? If so let's put sharp objects into other people's butts.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Zzulu posted:

Game needs a map that is 10x the size of the current 4v4 maps and then make it a 12vs12 map :getin:

They should also do

*mounted combat
*naval combat and boarding
*wizards

Yeah 4 v 4 seems like the worst amount of people they could choose. If there were more people it would feel like a real battle and not just constant 2 on 1s.

Qubee
May 31, 2013

I'm trying so hard to fall in love with this game, and I really want to make myself want to buy it at launch, but I just can't shake the feeling that it's far too shallow to truly enjoy. I dunno why, though. I bought Rocket League and I'm in love with that game, even though it's "kick the ball into the opponent's goal ad infinitum", and that's sorta the same premise of this but it has a little more depth. That being said, I find myself getting intensely bored after an hour or two of playing and I don't feel the urge to pick it up again unless I force myself to.

What is it missing that makes me not get hooked?

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Loopoo posted:

I'm trying so hard to fall in love with this game, and I really want to make myself want to buy it at launch, but I just can't shake the feeling that it's far too shallow to truly enjoy. I dunno why, though. I bought Rocket League and I'm in love with that game, even though it's "kick the ball into the opponent's goal ad infinitum", and that's sorta the same premise of this but it has a little more depth. That being said, I find myself getting intensely bored after an hour or two of playing and I don't feel the urge to pick it up again unless I force myself to.

If you don't like it you don't like it :shrug:

Not every game is for everyone. So far I dig it mostly because it scratches the fighting game itch because the combat is much more in depth than I ever gave it credit for.

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?

Loopoo posted:

All the things previously mentioned in this thread.

+ a ladder and competitive matchmaking
+ Tourneys
and stuff (progression)

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

im a sucker for sword combats so I'm in even if its bad

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Evil Canadian posted:

Not every game is for everyone. So far I dig it mostly because it scratches the fighting game itch because the combat is much more in depth than I ever gave it credit for.

Yeah, that's basically what draws me in as well. It's got similar general dynamics that I also enjoy about fighters Mortal Kombat et al., but at the same time it's quite a bit more approachable. No need to learn a full page of moves, combos, and frame data just to start being competitive, but it still retains enough depth to stay interesting. Plus the graphics and general styling makes it way more viscerally satisfying than 2D games ever were for me.

Speaking of modes, one of the ideas that had been floated was also a hardcore mode that disables all UI elements. I figure that would be a pretty fun change of pace to keep things mixed up in the long term.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

me getting an invite: this is the thing my friends been hyping for months, he was in the alpha and said it was badass. i remember the funny xbox clips
me and him now: we will never buy this. what were we thinking.

Dinictus
Nov 26, 2005

May our CoX spray white sticky fluid at our enemies forever!
HAIL ARACHNOS!
Soiled Meat

I AM THE MOON posted:

me getting an invite: this is the thing my friends been hyping for months, he was in the alpha and said it was badass. i remember the funny xbox clips
me and him now: we will never buy this. what were we thinking.

What happened between the two states and that you went 'poo poo what were we thinking?'

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Perestroika posted:

Speaking of modes, one of the ideas that had been floated was also a hardcore mode that disables all UI elements. I figure that would be a pretty fun change of pace to keep things mixed up in the long term.

That's one thing I was thinking about, they don't even try to make you read the attacks, you can see your opponents stance with the UI as soon as they change it, so you have time to block. It would be real interesting to see how it played if you didn't have that. Blocking would be way harder. I guess it depends upon how readable the animations are..

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

Still plenty of room for goons to stab mans in mumble just sayin'.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Dinictus posted:

What happened between the two states and that you went 'poo poo what were we thinking?'

Probably "nothing".

This post is not ironic.

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Dinictus posted:

we played the game.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

I AM THE MOON posted:

we played the game.

Can you expand on some of your experiences, to help the rest of us who may not get a chance to play make an educated decision on buying the game?

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I think the game is decent, the core fighting system is good IMO

But everything built around that system is so mediocre. The 4v4 mode is meh, it's like they saw the recent popularity of dynasty warriors type games right now and tried to shove their 1v1 game into this by throwing in 1 AoE attack for each character and throwing in some mooks to hit

2v2 is basically just 1v1 and the singleplayer mode feels like an afterthought on a multiplayer-focused game, The duel bots are good I guess, this is one of the few games where I felt like fighting the AI in 1v1s was actually fun

So it's a multiplayer game with essentially 1 game mode for $60

And that's before even getting into the peer2peer part of it. It's less of a problem in 1v1s and 2v2s but in 4v4s on PC there's so many DCs and lag and host transfers

The game has a hugely negative word-of-mouth in PC communities, pretty much entirely due to p2p. I don't own the consoles so maybe they're more into it but I wouldn't expect much of a playerbase on PC a month after release

Hard
Jul 31, 2005
Kid Napalm

NeurosisHead posted:

Can you expand on some of your experiences, to help the rest of us who may not get a chance to play make an educated decision on buying the game?

I got 1 pc code left if you want to be your own judge.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

That sounds like an issue more on the PC side. People are complaining about p2p but for me on ps4 its all perfectly fine. I said it in another thread but I am super sensitive to matters of input delay and the like because I have been playing fighting games basically all my life and I can't notice that in this game online. Even in 4v4 I never have a "ahh I got that but the game didn't register moment".

That said that could still actually absolutely be the issue on pc as I know ubisoft has had a shaky history with PC ports over the years.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
This game has

+ good combat
+ nice graphics
+ cool aesthetics

- Lack of maps
- Lots of disconnects
- Lack of gamemodes
- Doesn't feel fleshed out fully

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Playing on the Xbox the P2P doesn't effect Duel or Brawl very much but it sucks rear end for Dominion. Lot of dead games.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Sit down, china

you're planned for the dlc

Qubee
May 31, 2013

Evil Canadian posted:

Aye, you're right. It's such good fun to play when I'm craving a fighter, but then after an hour or so it becomes dull.

iFriend posted:

All the things previously mentioned in this thread.

+ a ladder and competitive matchmaking
+ Tourneys
and stuff (progression)

poo poo, I completely forgot. THIS is what would make me fall in love with it. Right now, matchmaking is so skewed. You're either against people far below your skill level, or people far above it. Rarely do you end up in matches that go either way (which - to me - are the most fun). This'll be a true gem once it's out and has actual ladder and competitive matchmaking. I think that'd really draw me in as I'd slowly progress higher and higher and not get bored / frustrated cause I'm matched against much better / worse people.

Gotta admit this game is hella fun for when I'm tipsy. Can't play Rocket League when I'm in that state, but this game manages just fine.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*
My only concern is that the game doesn't punish people for running out of stamina besides taking away their ability to attack as fast. They can still parry, dodge, guard break resist just as effectively as someone with stamina. The only thing you really gain versus someone with no stamina is that they fall down when you parry them but they aren't going to attack and now get to dedicate 100% of their mental resources to defending.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

Dosvidanya posted:

they aren't going to attack and now get to dedicate 100% of their mental resources to defending.

Then you get a free guard break/unblockable/gimmick and go from there??? Stam break is basically a death sentence.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Zzulu posted:

This game has

+ good combat
+ nice graphics
+ cool aesthetics

- Lack of maps
- Lots of disconnects
- Lack of gamemodes
- Doesn't feel fleshed out fully

Do note that the beta is not content-complete. There are at least two further Dominion maps that have been in previous tests but not in this beta, as well as an additional set of game modes (4v4 elimination, deathmatch). Forest and Cathedral are also quite a bit larger than they look at first, and might end up being ported to Dominion as well.

Dosvidanya posted:

My only concern is that the game doesn't punish people for running out of stamina besides taking away their ability to attack as fast. They can still parry, dodge, guard break resist just as effectively as someone with stamina. The only thing you really gain versus someone with no stamina is that they fall down when you parry them but they aren't going to attack and now get to dedicate 100% of their mental resources to defending.

They also fall down when you throw them! If you manage to land a guardbreak, that usually means at least two free heavy hits for most classes.

Dosvidanya
May 28, 2004

I don't advertise for free ;-*

Evil Canadian posted:

Then you get a free guard break/unblockable/gimmick and go from there??? Stam break is basically a death sentence.

You don't get a free guard break on people without stam and they can parry unblockables. I don't know who you've been fighting but stam break is not a death sentence. It should be :twisted:

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

My biggest complaint is probably the 4v4 maps. I wish there was maybe ACBD instead of ABC for zones? On each map I have played generally B is just a giant clusterfuck. Maybe if there was 2 zones with creeps going at it, it would be more manageable and players would spread out a bit more.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Nice to see Chinese getting as entitled as Americans. Can't wait until the next GTA is in Chongqing because they can't relate to American cities (actually that would probably be pretty cool).

dioxazine
Oct 14, 2004

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

Nice to see Chinese getting as entitled as Americans. Can't wait until the next GTA is in Chongqing because they can't relate to American cities (actually that would probably be pretty cool).

We did get Sleeping Dogs, which was pretty fun overall!

I think the main issue is that China is never really featured that prominently in Western popular culture. For example in Battletech, the massive Draconis Combine is Japanese, while China and Russia are sort of smashed together as the Capellan Confederation, a tiny nation in a corner.

Evil Canadian posted:

My biggest complaint is probably the 4v4 maps. I wish there was maybe ACBD instead of ABC for zones? On each map I have played generally B is just a giant clusterfuck. Maybe if there was 2 zones with creeps going at it, it would be more manageable and players would spread out a bit more.

I don't think four zones would help things, but two zones with soldiers in them would definitely be better, if not for the current network issues. I'm sure they'll clean that up in time for the launch. Most players seem to avoid B this morning and just go straight to A or C to fight.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013

Zzulu posted:

Sit down, china

you're planned for the dlc

Are u telling me there is more than one types of asia?

Indecisive
May 6, 2007

Heartcatch posted:

We did get Sleeping Dogs, which was pretty fun overall!

I think the main issue is that China is never really featured that prominently in Western popular culture. For example in Battletech, the massive Draconis Combine is Japanese, while China and Russia are sort of smashed together as the Capellan Confederation, a tiny nation in a corner.

Well we literally couldn't even go there until recently, we've done a lot of culture swapping with the japanese (for uh, reasons), but china has always been like, gently caress off westerners, so what do they expect? It's not gonna be an overnight thing

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
For a match-based PVP game, this is a lot of fun. It needs work but it's very fun. They have to get off of P2P for sure, and maybe 2 or 3 more game modes, but I dig it overall.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Hard posted:

I got 1 pc code left if you want to be your own judge.

I'd like that a lot if the offer is still there! You can PM it to me here, uPlay name is the same as on SA too. Thanks in advance!

e: VVVV sorry about that, I hadn't bothered looking at my email or uPlay today. Thanks!

NeurosisHead fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Jan 29, 2017

Fresh Shesh Besh
May 15, 2013

NeurosisHead posted:

I'd like that a lot if the offer is still there! You can PM it to me here, uPlay name is the same as on SA too. Thanks in advance!

I gave you an invite. You don't need another one. But you're ignoring me on uplay.

Check the spam filter of your email, and the "promotions" tab if you're using gmail.

Fresh Shesh Besh fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Jan 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Game is fun, but I have no idea what I'm doing. I do like how it's a fighting game with less execution difficulty!

The full price tag is pretty hefty though.