Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

Piso Mojado posted:

maybe it is, ive never seen it i just always seen it sold in butter like containers

butter is sold in cardboard or tinfoil rectangular prisms, no?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Piso Mojado posted:

oh really? you dont say? i didnt think about butter :rolleyes:

ya i know, eggs taste funny to me if done in oil

the only thing i'll use besides butter is bacon fat

edit: my pork shoulder smells awesome right now

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

good, I'll be there by 7, pls get the beer chillin in the fridge if it isn't there already

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

good, I'll be there by 7, pls get the beer chillin in the fridge if it isn't there already

i'm one step ahead of you, remember to bring a treat (snausages) for the hound or you won't get past the front door.

Manifisto

Luvcow posted:

i'm one step ahead of you, remember to bring a treat (snausages) for the hound or you won't get past the front door.

oh yeah the dog's getting spoiled, that goes without saying

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Manifisto posted:

oh yeah the dog's getting spoiled, that goes without saying

yeah I'll be honest I'm not sure if this pork shoulder will turn out good. I got it on sale and am cooking it like I've been cooking my chicken thighs lately. It's an experiment.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

what'd you put on that pork?

also piso the answer is obviously butter (i'm so sorry i'm sorry) avocado oil. high smoke point, no flavor, crispy egg bottoms.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

what'd you put on that pork?

also piso the answer is obviously butter (i'm so sorry i'm sorry) avocado oil. high smoke point, no flavor, crispy egg bottoms.

cooked it with 1/2 a sweet onion and two macintosh apples, garlic, salt, chili powder, white pepper, cayenne and brown sugar. Cooked for a little over an hour in a covered pan, flipping every 5-10 minutes and adding a little water when needed. It actually came out delicious which is good because it was really cheap but I wasn't sure if I could cook it like chicken thighs. Experiment = another byob success story.

Just waiting for my rice to finish so the hound and I can have our dinner.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

Luvcow posted:

cooked it with 1/2 a sweet onion and two macintosh apples, garlic, salt, chili powder, white pepper, cayenne and brown sugar. Cooked for a little over an hour in a covered pan, flipping every 5-10 minutes and adding a little water when needed. It actually came out delicious which is good because it was really cheap but I wasn't sure if I could cook it like chicken thighs. Experiment = another byob success story.

Just waiting for my rice to finish so the hound and I can have our dinner.

dang, that sounds good. i kind of want to cook a bunch of sliced pumpkin like that. gently caress. i might make mike the shoulder chops from the freezer and have myself some pumpkin.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

ladybeard mcflurry posted:

dang, that sounds good. i kind of want to cook a bunch of sliced pumpkin like that. gently caress. i might make mike the shoulder chops from the freezer and have myself some pumpkin.

do it :)

Luvcow

One day nearer spring
piso I'm sorry for derailing your fried egg conversation :(

i started a thread for in depth discussion

Robot Made of Meat

Luvcow posted:

How does your other shoulder smell?

Thanks to Manifisto for the sig!

the littlest prince

I dunno if this really counts as Fine Dining but I made deep fried chicken for the first time yesterday. Goddamn, is it ever easy to create really fantastic fried chicken. Used the first google result basically, which used garlic salt, pepper, old bay, and paprika (used half of a smoked variety).

I screwed up by putting things into the basket first and then lowering into the oil, which I'm sure every deep frying noob does. I also screwed up the wet/dry because the recipe had steps for creating both in a single numbered step and I wasn't looking closely enough, so now I have three times the wet batter I needed that I'll need to use to make more fried things in the coming weeks. Hopefully it freezes well.

Looking forward to lunchtime.

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Robot Made of Meat posted:

How does your other shoulder smell?

:argh:

the littlest prince posted:

I dunno if this really counts as Fine Dining but I made deep fried chicken for the first time yesterday. Goddamn, is it ever easy to create really fantastic fried chicken. Used the first google result basically, which used garlic salt, pepper, old bay, and paprika (used half of a smoked variety).

I screwed up by putting things into the basket first and then lowering into the oil, which I'm sure every deep frying noob does. I also screwed up the wet/dry because the recipe had steps for creating both in a single numbered step and I wasn't looking closely enough, so now I have three times the wet batter I needed that I'll need to use to make more fried things in the coming weeks. Hopefully it freezes well.

Looking forward to lunchtime.

my mom is from the south and when we were kids she'd make amazing fried chicken and with whatever batter she had left she would make "dough boys" by just dropping dollops of the batter into fry by themselves. not healthy in any way shape or form but they taste so good.

Subjunctive

✨sparkle and shine✨

we used to call those "hushpuppies"

Luvcow

One day nearer spring

Subjunctive posted:

we used to call those "hushpuppies"

ya i think that's the correct term, not sure where she got doughboys from but i remember seeing them elsewhere as hushpuppies

the unabonger

Piso Mojado posted:

help me settle an argument pls :

best oil for frying eggs

edit: excluding butter obv

if im not having bacon with them, bacon grease

the unabonger
i keep my old bacon grease in an old, washed out coffee can in my fridge, just for those moments where I could be using bacon grease instead of butter or olive oil.

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

in oklahoma, doughboys are the white flour version and hushpuppies are usually cornmeal like hot water cornbread but with onions and eggs in there too.

POOL IS CLOSED

I'm just exploding with mackerel. This is the aji wo kutta of my discontent.
bacon grease eggs are a sometimes food

as is bread fried in bacon grease

save that for when you really need to insult your heart and arteries

brought 2 u by Manifisto, mastercraftsposter of sigs

the littlest prince

here's a photo of fried chicken. also I had no idea the awful app could post pictures from my phone without going through imgur first. nice.

alnilam

the littlest prince posted:

the awful app could post pictures from my phone without going through imgur first.

:eyepop:

POOL IS CLOSED

i didn't know about that either :aaa: if i figure out how to do this, the world might be inundated with cooking pix

the littlest prince

well apparently it uses imgur, but anyway. also this is on iOS, i haven't used the android one in a long time.

tap wherever you want the image, select [img], it'll let you pick one from your camera or library.

POOL IS CLOSED

alrighty. tofu fritter time, aka ganmodoki or gammodoki time. (i don't know what these are called in korean but if they have a counterpart, lemme know.)

i love these lil h*ckin things

u need:

a block of firm tofu (around 10 ounces, give or take, which seems to be the standard package size)
frying oil (enough to fill a small, deep-sided pot around 1 - 2 inches)
1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 Tbsp starch or flour

and 4 - 5 add-ins like:

1 Tbsp corn kernels
2 Tbsp minced carrot
2 Tbsp minced scallion
2 Tbsp minced snow pea
2 Tbsp minced shiitake and/or kikurage (if you use rehydrated booms, make sure to squeeze the moisture out real well after!)
1 Tbsp minced rehydrated kombu or hijiki seaweed (same as above)
1/2 Tbsp sesame seeds (any color)
1 Tbsp dehydrated sakura shrimps
or whatever, just cut it finely and make sure it's not very moist

it's important to get the excess moisture out of your tofu, so drain it, then wrap it in towels and leave it pressed between two cutting boards or two plates for around twenty minutes.

combine your add ins, starch, and salt in a medium sized mixing bowl. your tofu should still be moist but no longer sloppy (you dont want dried up tofu either byob), so crush it in your first like you're in mortal kombat doing a disgusting fatality to someone's heart, and put those mushes in the bowl too. crack the egg in there while you're at it.

then mix with a spoon, taking care to break up any big clumps of tofu. this shouldn't be a super smooth mix, but you don't really want any tofu gobs much bigger than a cute pea.

heat your oil in a pot (or a skillet if you're a weird) until it's around 320 F. for me, the stove heat is medium high. if you don't have a cooking thermometer, it's a good idea to get one if you like fryin stuff, and you can get cheap old school ones easy. gws also usually posts an alert when thermapen is doing their special discount sale. but if you haven't got a thermometer and you want to eat a fried tofu fritter, you can test your oil's hotness by dropping in a lil gob of tofu mix. if the oil boils up like a good strong simmer, you're good to go.

form smallish patties using a soup spoon (you know, the big spoon) or a wooden spoon. for me, that's a small handful. some of you have massive mitts though, so don't over do it. you should have 2 - 3 patties sizzling away at a time. you don't want to add too many at once, or your oil will cool down too much.

in a few minutes, your patties should be golden. you can remove 'em then and set them on a plate or bowl lined with a couple of paper towels to sop up excess oil while you finish doing your batches. i think i got around twelve, but to be frank, byob, i ate some of them before i counted, and i am not ashamed.

these are good hot or room temp. you can eat them on their ownsome, or you can have them with soy sauce + vinegar or soy sauce + karashi mustard.

alnilam

I'm going to make and then eat summa those

alnilam

I'm so glad my local east Asian grocery makes they own tofu on site and sells it for 30 cents a block #blessed

POOL IS CLOSED

^^^ i'm so JELLY

trufax i been thinking of starting OWN TOFU business but i got too many projects going on as is.

alnilam posted:

I'm going to make and then eat summa those

if you don't do eggs, a bit more starch will probably help them stick together enough -- the patties are never really firm before frying anyway. actually i wonder if vegan mayo would make a suitable binder!

alnilam

don't worry my vegan housemate has lotsa egg replacing tricks, and she's even been considering maybe eating limited eggs again since we have our own chickens who are our good friends and make eggs for us

POOL IS CLOSED

your chickens eat your eggs? :ohdear: vegetarians are even more frightening than the pastor told me

alnilam

hey gotta feed them somehow *with a terrible slorping sound lays a clutch of fish-like eggs into the feeding tray*

poverty goat

I've been playing w/ cacao nibs. This is 12% cacao nibs and 30% cranberries.

Manifisto

poverty goat posted:

I've been playing w/ cacao nibs. This is 12% cacao nibs and 30% cranberries.

interesting. do you get much flavor from the nibs? did you sweeten the bread/were you using sweetened cranberries?

poverty goat

Manifisto posted:

interesting. do you get much flavor from the nibs? did you sweeten the bread/were you using sweetened cranberries?

I had no clue how the nibs would work out so I did a test batch last week of just basic mostly-white 78% hydration sourdough w/ 10% nibs and some orange zest, unsweetened, w/ proofed overnight in the fridge. The flavor came out well-distributed, and instead of being bittersweet bombs like you might expect the nibs themselves had taken on a milder yeasty chocolate flavor w/ just a bit of chew to them but no crunch. It worked well with the sourdough flavors but was a bit much without something sweet IMO. Chocolate snobs in my family loved it straight up, though, including my belgian grandma which I take to be high praise.

They're (sweetened) craisins and I gave them a 30 min soak in warm water with the nibs (I didn't soak them last time). Haven't actually sliced/tasted it yet but it's about that time

poverty goat fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Feb 5, 2017

poverty goat

i did it i cut the bread!!

its pretty good. very edible w/ butter, the cranberries did the trick but i think it actually needs more nibs now, or maybe cranberries just aren't quite the thing

Randy Travesty

PHANTOM QUEEN

that looks loving spectacular. dried, pre-soaked blueberries (or fresh, but the moisture will affect your hydration, you know that tho) would be great with cacao nibs. i should try the orange zest method and probably sneak a tiny bit of juice into the hydration (1-3% max) just to see how it affects the crust as well with the sugars. beautiful breading, poverty goat!

i'm roasting some peanuts right now for another peanut-and-bean pie. it tastes like a peanut butter pie but it's slightly healthier and plus it's an excuse to make a bean pie.

FutonForensic

i went to a pizza place downtown and was loving how sweet their tomato sauce was. anyone got a good recipe for pizza sauces??

poverty goat

FutonForensic posted:

i went to a pizza place downtown and was loving how sweet their tomato sauce was. anyone got a good recipe for pizza sauces??
can of crushed tomatoes

Manifisto

I like it simple like poverty goat, and also a bit chunky (I don't need it to be super-smooth). I sometimes add a pinch of sugar to tame the acidity of the tomatoes, but I don't actually like a sweet sauce--I suppose you could sweeten things up by adding tomato paste and/or some more sugar.

Anyway, fwiw this is what I often go with:

• 1 large can of Italian tomatoes, preferably from San Marzano region if ya wanna be fancy and spend a bit more
• ½ onion, chopped fine
• 1 clove garlic, crushed or minced
• olive oil
• fresh basil, chopped or shredded
• salt
• pepper

Heat a bit of olive oil in a nonstick pan over medium heat. Add chopped onion and saute for a few minutes until translucent (but before onion starts to brown). Add garlic and stir for about 30 seconds, then add entire can of tomatoes. If tomatoes are whole, crush gently with spoon as the tomatoes cook. Cook tomatoes on medium heat, stirring occasionally, for about 15-20 minutes, until raw flavor is gone and slightly thickened. Towards the end of cooking period, add salt, pepper, and fresh basil to taste and cook for a few minutes more. Allow sauce to cool off the heat for 20 minutes or so, stirring occasionally to release steam, then use on pizza or place in container (e.g. glass jar) and refrigerate, covered.

ty nesamdoom!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FutonForensic

Oh nice I'll give that a shot. ty